Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 02:14:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caught Speeding  (Read 11663 times)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Caught Speeding
« Reply #30 on October 06, 2017, 03:51:59 pm by Dagenham Rover »
you may well find the Speed Awareness course actually quite interesting..... not that I would know   :whistle: :whistle:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 06, 2017, 03:53:30 pm by drfchound »
On the occasions i was caught speeding it was mainly due to a lack of concentration on my part.
I was only a bit over the limit, but hey, that is enough isn't it.

I often wonder whether those nutcases who bomb through those 50 limits at 70+ on the motorway get done, or those tossers who belt down Hatfield High Street at 70mph at night get caught.

The speed awareness courses actually do put a new perspective on speeding.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 06, 2017, 04:01:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I know they do Hound, I've been on one. I found out that you could do 70 mph on a dual carriageway. I thought you were only permitted to do 70 mph on a motorway.

I learnt that I'd spent a lot of my 40 years of driving going too bloody slow!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 06, 2017, 04:08:41 pm by keith79 »
I think it's 14 days in Scotland. No time scale in England

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 06, 2017, 05:48:51 pm by RedJ »
There's one of them near Tesco in Edenthorpe. Not sure if there's a camera but I always think it's f**king daft. And then in some places I've been you've got roads that drop from 60 down to 30 with next to no warning.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 06, 2017, 06:07:25 pm by idler »
I read somewhere that there has to have been a fatality or series of accidents at a place before a camera can be installed.
It's funny how many lamp posts in Bradford have flowers round but no camera in sight.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 06, 2017, 06:08:15 pm by Filo »
There's one of them near Tesco in Edenthorpe. Not sure if there's a camera but I always think it's f**king daft. And then in some places I've been you've got roads that drop from 60 down to 30 with next to no warning.
would it be because of Hungerhill school?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 06, 2017, 06:11:17 pm by Filo »
I'm not advocating getting off with speeding, Hound. I'm all for upholding the speeding laws. But they most certainly aren't designed to be user-friendly, so much so that they bring suspicions of entrapment.

What is the point, for instance, of having a road with a speed limit of 50 mph, suddenly reduced to 40 mph for a couple of hundred yards, then put back to 50 mph, other than to strategically place a speed camera in the 40 mph bit?

Towards the end of ParkwY in Sheffield is like that, a speed camera straight after the speed limit sign

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 06, 2017, 06:56:40 pm by RedJ »
would it be because of Hungerhill school?

I'm not saying the change in speed limit is daft. I'm saying there's a repeater for the 50 sign literally one lamp post down the road from the 40, stupidly close, and the final 50 sign is needless.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 06, 2017, 08:43:56 pm by Donnywolf »
Entering Thorne from the Scunny end the first speed limit you hit is 20 mph. There are no Schools or Old Folks Homes (only mine !) and there are only 2 streets turning off it. No Bus route either

After 600 yards the Speed limit goes UP to 30 mph through an area where there is a Railway Station a Pub an Old Folks home a Park entrance a Filling Station many many turnings including crossroads AND it is a Bus Route

So the nearer you get to the Town centre and its "hazards" the higher the speed limit figure is.

The 20 mph is academic though because drivers regularly break the 20 mph by "quite a bit". I estimate some are doing 60 - and I am not kidding and leaving Thorne they are crossing the Canal via a single track bridge.

There are no Speed awareness Courses for getting done in a 20 mph zone either as they say that 20 mph is 20 mph for a reason !

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 07, 2017, 07:09:39 pm by IDM »
If you're one of the oh so let's be so above the law and not critisise others then maybe you should take speeding a bit more seriously. Cars kill more people than drugs do, and people speeding thinking it's cool are seriously deluded. What exactly do you do with that time you save? Get stuck in another jam? Or play with yourself for ten minutes longer than I do?

Sorry for being pedantic - and I am not advocating any form of dangerous driving - but cars don't kill anyone.  Not a living soul is killed by a car.  By drivers, yes, but not by cars..
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:13:31 pm by IDM »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 07, 2017, 07:43:59 pm by Jenny »
It's not true either, in England and Wales in 2016 there were more drug related deaths than deaths on the roads (all deaths, not just those where speed was the contributing factor).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:48:22 pm by Jenny »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 07, 2017, 07:45:48 pm by glosterred »
It's not true either, in England and Wales in 2026 there were more drug related deaths than deaths on the roads (all deaths, not just those where speed was the contributing factor).

How do you know what will happen in 2026? Can you see into the future, if so you couldn't give me the lotto numbers could you?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 07, 2017, 07:48:28 pm by Jenny »
Fat fingers

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 10, 2017, 10:25:21 pm by StocktonRover »
Entering Thorne from the Scunny end the first speed limit you hit is 20 mph. There are no Schools or Old Folks Homes (only mine !) and there are only 2 streets turning off it. No Bus route either

After 600 yards the Speed limit goes UP to 30 mph through an area where there is a Railway Station a Pub an Old Folks home a Park entrance a Filling Station many many turnings including crossroads AND it is a Bus Route

So the nearer you get to the Town centre and its "hazards" the higher the speed limit figure is.

The 20 mph is academic though because drivers regularly break the 20 mph by "quite a bit". I estimate some are doing 60 - and I am not kidding and leaving Thorne they are crossing the Canal via a single track bridge.

There are no Speed awareness Courses for getting done in a 20 mph zone either as they say that 20 mph is 20 mph for a reason !

Not sure if a 20 mph sign is a mandatory or advisory limit.
On a recent course it was stated that unless the sign has a red border, it’s not mandatory and is just advisory therefore you can’t be prosecuted for it (unless you are exceeding the statutory limit for the road)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 10, 2017, 11:51:10 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Not sure if a 20 mph sign is a mandatory or advisory limit.
On a recent course it was stated that unless the sign has a red border, it’s not mandatory and is just advisory therefore you can’t be prosecuted for it (unless you are exceeding the statutory limit for the road)

My wife was a lollipop lady for over 12 years on a busy road, on the numerous courses and refresher courses she had to attend (yes courses to be a lollipop person) they were always told the 20mph is purely advisory and cannot be enforced I've queried it I think its something to do with highways Authority v local Authority
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:55:27 pm by Dagenham Rover »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 11, 2017, 12:23:47 am by RobTheRover »
A cautionary tale.....

A lad I work with was doing some sort of outward bound shit in Cumbria with 3 of his mates.  They were sharing the driving of his company car (he'd added them all to the insurance).  Got clocked by a speed camera on a empty country road at 7am doing 64 in a 50 but he didnt know.  The notice went to the car lease company, who pissed about with it for a bit and then forwarded it to our work.  He was on holiday so didnt get it for another 2 weeks.  When he got it, he had something like 4 days to respond or go to court, however he couldnt fill in who was driving as none of them could remember who was driving that morning.  It was about 6 weeks later after all.  He explained it all to the police, but they were adamant the driver had to be identified.  He told them he didnt know and so he would say it was him and settle the speeding fine.  They said he couldnt as he could be admitting to an offence he didnt commit and they knew he didnt know for sure.

He was summonsed to attend court in Carlisle for failing to identify the driver of the vehicle, and pondered hard over attending in person and throwing himself at the mercy of the court.  In the end he didnt go as a friend in the police had told him it would make no difference, and whether he was treated with leniency or not would depend on which side of the bed the judge got out of.  He received 6 penalty points and a £800 fine.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 11, 2017, 07:56:15 am by GazLaz »
I’ve been on three (might even be four) speed awareness courses, they obviously work.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 11, 2017, 09:42:01 am by RedJ »
To be honest I'm not reyt arsed how effective they are if it means avoiding a fine as the only place I really go a little over the limit (not that it makes much difference) is on the motorway if some Kitson is dawdling and I try and get past him.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on October 12, 2017, 09:20:24 am by bobjimwilly »
I learned the little speed limits on lamposts are called repeaters, and you can only do 60 on a dual carriageway if there's no fixed or grass central reservation. That's about it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 12, 2017, 09:24:13 am by Donnywolf »
That was it for me too - with the Dual Carriageway being the most surprising.

Even a single carriageway with a grass hump separating it from a single carriageway going the opposite was qualifies as a Dual Carriageway where if National Speed Limit signs are deployed you could do 70 ! Weird

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 12, 2017, 04:09:30 pm by GazLaz »
That was it for me too - with the Dual Carriageway being the most surprising.

Even a single carriageway with a grass hump separating it from a single carriageway going the opposite was qualifies as a Dual Carriageway where if National Speed Limit signs are deployed you could do 70 ! Weird

People tend to think “dual carriageway” means there are two lanes going in one direction which it doesn’t as you say.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 12, 2017, 04:33:43 pm by MrFrost »
Really pleased to see they are putting lane cameras on the bus lanes in Doncaster. I get passed by a dozen or so normal drivers every day on my way to work on York Road because they can't be arsed to wait in the traffic.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 12, 2017, 05:09:50 pm by Filo »
Really pleased to see they are putting lane cameras on the bus lanes in Doncaster. I get passed by a dozen or so normal drivers every day on my way to work on York Road because they can't be arsed to wait in the traffic.

Ibet loads get stung on that bit past the Urban bar and the bit past Casr

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 13, 2017, 08:39:28 pm by Metalmicky »

If only they would catch more speeding drivers also...

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 13, 2017, 09:23:57 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
If you can't roll a football from one side to the other it's a dual carriageway.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 13, 2017, 09:51:24 pm by idler »
You haven't seen the potholes in Bradford. 😉

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 14, 2017, 10:22:01 am by Donnywolf »

Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world these days

Rules apply to everyone else except the person flaunting the rule

Where would I start ? Mobile Phones when driving - Parking on Double Yellows - Parking in Disabled bays even when fully fit - Parking in electric Charging Bays cos they are nearer the door

Although not illegal it p****s me off when people take the right lane at a Roundabout when turning left because there are 10 cars waiting on the left lane - mostly for selfish gits who have"gone round" and thus held the others up.

I could go on (and usually do) but each of us could add a dozen more I suppose

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 14, 2017, 09:43:48 pm by drfchound »

Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world these days

Rules apply to everyone else except the person flaunting the rule

Where would I start ? Mobile Phones when driving - Parking on Double Yellows - Parking in Disabled bays even when fully fit - Parking in electric Charging Bays cos they are nearer the door

Although not illegal it p****s me off when people take the right lane at a Roundabout when turning left because there are 10 cars waiting on the left lane - mostly for selfish gits who have"gone round" and thus held the others up.

I could go on (and usually do) but each of us could add a dozen more I suppose

........and I bet most of us have been guilty at some time or another.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 14, 2017, 09:49:18 pm by RedJ »
Hahaha I'm one of these people who'll go all the way round if there's a queue to turn.

Every single time without fail. :laugh:

Done the parking in disabled bay but that's only if I'm nipping to a cash machine at the crack of dawn and there's absolutely nobody else about.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012