Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 02:28:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caught Speeding  (Read 11664 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Caught Speeding
« Reply #60 on October 15, 2017, 07:14:55 pm by roversdude »
A cautionary tale.....

A lad I work with was doing some sort of outward bound shit in Cumbria with 3 of his mates.  They were sharing the driving of his company car (he'd added them all to the insurance).  Got clocked by a speed camera on a empty country road at 7am doing 64 in a 50 but he didnt know.  The notice went to the car lease company, who pissed about with it for a bit and then forwarded it to our work.  He was on holiday so didnt get it for another 2 weeks.  When he got it, he had something like 4 days to respond or go to court, however he couldnt fill in who was driving as none of them could remember who was driving that morning.  It was about 6 weeks later after all.  He explained it all to the police, but they were adamant the driver had to be identified.  He told them he didnt know and so he would say it was him and settle the speeding fine.  They said he couldnt as he could be admitting to an offence he didnt commit and they knew he didnt know for sure.

He was summonsed to attend court in Carlisle for failing to identify the driver of the vehicle, and pondered hard over attending in person and throwing himself at the mercy of the court.  In the end he didnt go as a friend in the police had told him it would make no difference, and whether he was treated with leniency or not would depend on which side of the bed the judge got out of.  He received 6 penalty points and a £800 fine.

Had similar when I had a company - requested photo as there were 3 guys (all insured) in the van all stating they couldn’t remember who was driving
I ended up with 6 points and £750

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 19, 2017, 12:27:57 pm by mushRTID »
Oh FFS.

Iv been done now!

72 in a variable speed limit (60) on the M62 between J26 and J27.

Mr Frost, is it definitely 4 days then as the offence was 26th September and the letter is dated 16th October - 20 days difference.

Just to add, it is a company car and the letter dated 16th is addressed to my employer, not the lease company.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 19, 2017, 12:32:38 pm by RedJ »
It said on my letter they had to inform you within 14 days of the offence. I've not got it to hand but I'm sure there was a caveat that said something like you can't use that as a defence, I think.

Booked up at the Warmsworth one so I've had to book at the New York Stadium. Luckily I managed to find a class on the week of our Christmas shutdown so I won't lose any annual leave...

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 19, 2017, 12:40:45 pm by mushRTID »
Iv actually looked on their website and it says the notice was issues 28th Sept (despite the letter saying 16th october). Looks like im knackered.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 19, 2017, 12:42:12 pm by RedJ »
You been done before? think the upper limit to do a course is 73 in a 60.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 19, 2017, 10:01:00 pm by mushRTID »

Yes mate but that was south yorks police. This time was West Yorks. I saw hound was able to do both, fingers crossed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 19, 2017, 10:11:08 pm by drfchound »

Yes mate but that was south yorks police. This time was West Yorks. I saw hound was able to do both, fingers crossed.

Does the paperwork ask “if you haven’t attended one of OUR courses in the last three years” ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 09, 2018, 10:31:52 am by RedJ »
f**king variable speed limits. :(

But, since it was on the motorway, am I right in thinking I'll be able to take the motorway awareness course rather than points? I did the speed awareness course less than 12 months ago I am aware, but the letter says "You may only take once of each type of course within a three-year period" and as it names them separately, that to me says I can?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on December 09, 2018, 05:20:54 pm by drfchound »
Not sure about that RJ but as you say, it sounds like it.
Put your application in for the course and see what happens.

I have it on good authority that those variable speed limits shown on the motorways are mandatory, not a suggested speed limit.
I often see people belting through the fifty limits etc and wonder whether they get done.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on December 09, 2018, 05:28:56 pm by StocktonRover »
Just done the motorway one and it was only about 18 months after I attended the original speed awareness course so you can definitely do it if within the speed tolerances for the course.

The motorway awareness one has only been started in the past few months according to the guy delivering it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 09, 2018, 08:01:29 pm by RedJ »
The motorway one was available when I did my speed one last Christmas, maybe he meant that company or something.

Hound, same, I always see it and I always think along the lines of "hope that Kitson gets stung". Of course this time I was the Kitson that didn't spot the signs... But, are the ones that are on the boards that are just light bulbs (i.e. not the proper graphics ones) mandatory? as the speed awareness course guys said they're only enforceable if they're in a red circle... might ask that when I go for my course.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 09, 2018, 08:03:47 pm by drfchound »
I have been told that all the ones in lights are mandatory.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on December 09, 2018, 08:06:21 pm by mushRTID »
f**king variable speed limits. :(

But, since it was on the motorway, am I right in thinking I'll be able to take the motorway awareness course rather than points? I did the speed awareness course less than 12 months ago I am aware, but the letter says "You may only take once of each type of course within a three-year period" and as it names them separately, that to me says I can?

Yes, i did the speed awareness course in April then got caught on the variables in August and could do the motorway course instead of points.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 09, 2018, 08:07:43 pm by RedJ »
Great stuff. Cheers fellas.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on December 09, 2018, 11:53:25 pm by silent majority »
I'm confused though by the new average speed cameras on the motorway networks. Apart from spotting those little yellow cameras on the gantries on the side of the motorway should there be any other notification that  averaging more than 70 will be punished?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 09, 2018, 11:58:22 pm by RedJ »
You can pretty much always get away with going 5-6mph above the limit in the average speed check zones anyway tbf.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 10, 2018, 07:10:28 am by drfchound »
I'm confused though by the new average speed cameras on the motorway networks. Apart from spotting those little yellow cameras on the gantries on the side of the motorway should there be any other notification that  averaging more than 70 will be punished?

If I am understanding your question properly SM, surely everyone will know that the National speed limit is 70mph.
Why would you need any other notification of that?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on December 10, 2018, 08:05:37 am by Donnywolf »
Ah but National Speed limits are different things for different vehicles and different Roads I think I remember from my visit to New York Stadium Speed Course ?

See a National Speed Limit sign as you head for J4 along West Moor Link Road and it will be 60 for a Car as its a Single Carriageway (but less for a Bus for example)

See a National Speed Limit sign as you leave a Town on a Dual Carriageway and it will be 70 for a Car as its a Dual Carriageway (but less for the same Bus)

The Speed for other vehicles are different to a Car in each case. (Sure there must be a Google fact sheet) .... damn I should have just posted this lol

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/images/speed_limit_table.gif&imgrefurl=https://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/speedlimits.php&h=279&w=550&tbnid=aNMMZszNFtC_qM:&q=definition+of+National+Speed+Limits&tbnh=108&tbnw=214&usg=AI4_-kQ540ifiSBnNKRVmTkh776Pr7G_9A&vet=12ahUKEwiurZDe5pTfAhU8ShUIHRErDYUQ9QEwAHoECAYQBg..i&docid=ptDJhSIN146b1M&client=firefox-b-ab&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiurZDe5pTfAhU8ShUIHRErDYUQ9QEwAHoECAYQBg

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on December 10, 2018, 08:08:17 am by drfchound »
Ah but National Speed limits are different things for different vehicles and different Roads I think I remember from my visit to New York Stadium Speed Course ?

See a National Speed Limit sign as you head for J4 along West Moor Link Road and it will be 60 for a Car as its a Single Carriageway (but less for a Bus for example)

See a National Speed Limit sign as you leave a Town on a Dual Carriageway and it will be 70 for a Car as its a Dual Carriageway (but less for the same Bus)

The Speed for other vehicles are different to a Car in each case. (Sure there must be a Google fact sheet) .... damn I should have just posted this lol

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/images/speed_limit_table.gif&imgrefurl=https://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/speedlimits.php&h=279&w=550&tbnid=aNMMZszNFtC_qM:&q=definition+of+National+Speed+Limits&tbnh=108&tbnw=214&usg=AI4_-kQ540ifiSBnNKRVmTkh776Pr7G_9A&vet=12ahUKEwiurZDe5pTfAhU8ShUIHRErDYUQ9QEwAHoECAYQBg..i&docid=ptDJhSIN146b1M&client=firefox-b-ab&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiurZDe5pTfAhU8ShUIHRErDYUQ9QEwAHoECAYQBg

Agreed Wolfie, but it would be strange wouldn’t it, if you didn’t know what sort of vehicle you were driving.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 10, 2018, 08:11:08 am by Donnywolf »
Agree it would - currently I am in a dream car on a Rovers Motorway  !!  Its such a good journey I am speeding to my next assigment on Saturday ! (not touched a drop - well its only 8 am)
... and I will set off super early as its an early kick off. They got me once so far in Cleethorpes (leaving of course) and I am determined never again (in the same area)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:17:09 am by Donnywolf »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 10, 2018, 08:13:23 am by drfchound »
Agree it would - currently I am in a dream car on a Rovers Motorway  !!  Its such a good journey I am speeding to my next assigment on Saturday ! (not touched a drop - well its only 8 am)

Ha ,nice one.
Remember though, one speed camera at a time mate.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on December 10, 2018, 08:36:10 am by idler »
I was going back after the game on Saturday and went through the lights at Amber on Balby Rd.
I started tohit the brakes to stop but carried on as it was wet and lights changed to red as I got to the far side. Hopefully made it in time as never had any points since 1971.
I'm just annoyed as I usually go back on the M18, A1 but as it was 8:30 at night I'd go through Balby and reminisce. At least we won if the worst comes to the worst but it makes it an expensive day out.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on December 10, 2018, 09:00:35 am by Donnywolf »
I shouldnt worry - as there cant be any Cameras there surely because people make a habit os speeding up to get through on Amber

I was taught in Highway Code that Amber meant "prepare to Stop"

Now it means "prepare to stick your foot down in case the Lights go Red"

Most of them go through on Red with a Mobile stuck to the side of their heads too

(Sorry Victor Meldrew mode this morning)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on December 10, 2018, 09:14:04 am by silent majority »

If I am understanding your question properly SM, surely everyone will know that the National speed limit is 70mph.

You're obviously not reading my question properly though are you? I know what the National speed limit is. What I was asking is if there was any other notification that the average speed cameras that are prevalent on the newer sections of the motorway network are in actual fact operational.

I do somewhere in the region of 28k miles a year for work, which makes my risk greater than yours I'm sure. I'm not suggesting I'm given a green light to speed to my hearts content, but it's a known fact that the average speed on open sections of the motorway network are in the region of 77/78 mph. A fact acknowledged by this government who have discussed increasing the limit to 80mph. Keeping up with the flow of traffic could well be a cause for concern.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on December 10, 2018, 09:25:05 am by RedJ »
Thing is, you'll still get Kitsons driving at 87/88 if you increase it.

Plus, it burns 25% more fuel driving at 80mph and on top of that, you only gain 10 minutes from driving at 80mph for two hours straight or something like that (I've probably posted further up the thread somewhere). Not really worth it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on December 10, 2018, 10:12:24 am by Donnywolf »

You're obviously not reading my question properly though are you? I know what the National speed limit is. What I was asking is if there was any other notification that the average speed cameras that are prevalent on the newer sections of the motorway network are in actual fact operational.

I do somewhere in the region of 28k miles a year for work, which makes my risk greater than yours I'm sure. I'm not suggesting I'm given a green light to speed to my hearts content, but it's a known fact that the average speed on open sections of the motorway network are in the region of 77/78 mph. A fact acknowledged by this government who have discussed increasing the limit to 80mph. Keeping up with the flow of traffic could well be a cause for concern.

I think there has to be a notice (such as the National Speed Limit sign with a Camera shown below it) to designate that the area you are entering is subject to Cameras periodically). There are some on Wheatley Hall Road and "the Van" only appears between those 2 signs

Similarly there are some just after the Green Tree and about a mile afterwards and "the Van" is then allowed to operate there

It seems bizarre that a person could speed outside thos areas and not get nicked.

So I think the answer to your question is somewhere in there. Average Speed Cams at Stocksbridge By Pass (which was a muderous stretch) have the Cam logo as you enter and leave them and I think they have to display the Speed you must comply with)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on December 10, 2018, 10:51:25 am by silent majority »
But that's my point Wolfy. We all know the requirements around average speed cameras on other roads and the speed required is displayed. However the new cameras on the motorway network are operational 100% of the time (I'm led to believe) and yet no speed limit is displayed, nor is there any signs which indicate they are operational 100% of the time. I'm just looking for clarification that's all.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 10, 2018, 10:56:06 am by idler »
On managed/smart motorways I always make sure that I'm doing 70/75 and no more. Never had a ticket yet.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on December 10, 2018, 11:03:29 am by Donnywolf »
But that's my point Wolfy. We all know the requirements around average speed cameras on other roads and the speed required is displayed. However the new cameras on the motorway network are operational 100% of the time (I'm led to believe) and yet no speed limit is displayed, nor is there any signs which indicate they are operational 100% of the time. I'm just looking for clarification that's all.

Someone will know - but I cant add owt !

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on December 10, 2018, 03:37:02 pm by drfchound »

As I said before SM, the national speed limit on a motorway is 70mph, unless signs, lit up or on circular signs, tell you differently.
Usually, when you enter a motorway the national speed limit sign (a black diagonal line through a white circle)is clearly shown, telling you that the NSL is in use.

Why should there be signs to say that the cameras are in use 100% of the time.
The cameras are there to deter drivers from speeding.
They are in use all the time by the way.

I have noticed that in heavily congested areas of the motorways, peak time traffic I suppose, that when the variable limit is dropped to say 60mph for a while, the traffic flows much better.
Perhaps this is because people don't all queue down the outside lane, 25 yards from the car in front and constantly touching their brakes.

The drivers who belt along at considerably over 70mph are a menace and are one of the biggest reasons for fatal accidents.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012