Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:30:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is Shelton good enough  (Read 4774 times)

donnygeoff

• Forum Member
Is Shelton good enough
« on October 13, 2012, 06:17:51 pm by donnygeoff »
Question.  Is Shelton good enough or should we move Spurr into centre and play Husband.  Next three matches may find us wanting at the back

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Is Shelton good enough
« Reply #1 on October 13, 2012, 06:47:19 pm by dickos1 »
On today's performance no, but he won't be coming up against Steve Howard every week

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 13, 2012, 06:52:47 pm by MachoMadness »
According to Penney on the radio, Shelton did alright until he got pulled up by the ref in the 2nd half and apparently said something to him. After that, DP said, ref had a bee in his bonnet about Shelton and penalised him at every opportunity - including the penalty.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 13, 2012, 06:57:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Listening to Player, it seems this is the first bad game he had for us. Though he did get up front and have a couple of headers I think. I definitely think he has an important place in the squad.

He is a physical player and the ref thing mentioned seems as tho it may have unsettled him.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 13, 2012, 07:41:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
According to Penney on the radio, Shelton did alright until he got pulled up by the ref in the 2nd half and apparently said something to him. After that, DP said, ref had a bee in his bonnet about Shelton and penalised him at every opportunity - including the penalty.

Spot on, didn't do much wrong but ref picked him out unfairly after he argued with him, silly.

pubteam

« Reply #5 on October 13, 2012, 08:14:32 pm by pubteam »

Yep I think Penney's called it about right there. Shelton committed one or two innocuous fouls, and then took exception to the referee calling him over to book him. Ref then seemed to be on a witch hunt against Shelton and was pretty much pulling him up for everything he did. Not surprised Saunders decided to take him off, because he looked pretty wound up after that and was probably a red card waiting to happen. Other than that, he and Jones dealt with everything and were faultless all game really.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 13, 2012, 08:17:55 pm by Red wizard »
On today's performance no, but he won't be coming up against Steve Howard every week
Of corse he is.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 14, 2012, 01:10:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
You've got to expect a drop in performance,after a long lay-off like he's had,he come up against a very strong experienced striker in Steve Howard,i wasn't there,but maybe he should have been marked by Rob Jones,but according to the radio,Penney said they probably didn't want to move Jones from his normal left side centre-half,if we can keep Martis fit,he will only be an asset for us in this league,when fit he's a Championship defender!!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 14, 2012, 01:22:08 am by The Beast »
Of course he is! Better than Spurr at Centre half.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 14, 2012, 02:53:34 am by Viking Don »
Course he's good enough, the question is is he going to stay fit enough? Let's hope so because he's a very good centre half when fit, one of the best in this league no doubt.

Have to say though that Jones is rapidly becoming my favourite player, he may be the latest recipient of the fifty pence piece head but he's exactly the kind of player we missed in the tippy tappy days. Unusual for me as I usually go for the skillful footballing types, but Captain Marvel is bringing me back to what I used to really like about football.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 14, 2012, 10:39:57 am by Colin C No.3 »
You've got to expect a drop in performance,after a long lay-off like he's had,he come up against a very strong experienced striker in Steve Howard,i wasn't there,but maybe he should have been marked by Rob Jones,but according to the radio,Penney said they probably didn't want to move Jones from his normal left side centre-half,if we can keep Martis fit,he will only be an asset for us in this league,when fit he's a Championship defender!!
Give over!!

I'll be 'happy' if he can cut it in this league.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 14, 2012, 03:59:17 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
This a serious question?

Of course he is a championship player easily.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 14, 2012, 04:22:58 pm by PaulRover08 »
This a serious question?

I must have been watching a different game. Howard was being marked by both Jones AND Martis. No need for Jones to move anywhere. No idea what Penney was talking about.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 14, 2012, 04:54:20 pm by Colin C No.3 »
This a serious question?

More of a statement than a question, but here's a question for you. On what evidence do you glibly base a statement like the above on?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 14, 2012, 06:49:14 pm by The Beast »
Why would you take Martis out, put Spurr to centre half and Husband to left back? This would make the defence weaker on two counts. Firstly don't think Spurr is as good as Martis at centre half and secondly as much potential as Husband has, he is not defensively as good as Spurr yet.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 14, 2012, 07:44:09 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Never mind if he is good enough anymore, he's never been good enough in the first place.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 14, 2012, 08:28:49 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Never mind if he is good enough anymore, he's never been good enough in the first place.

Shows you know nothing....

incredible statement to make....

Did u go to shrewsbury at home?

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 14, 2012, 08:40:30 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Did anyone else see Jones push Martis away when the ref called him over for the pen? It looked like Martis wanted to go over and have a word which would of been very risky seeing as he was on a yellow and the ref was already against him. I thought that was great leadership by Jones and probably helped us keep 11 on the pitch

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 14, 2012, 08:43:39 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Did anyone else see Jones push Martis away when the ref called him over for the pen? It looked like Martis wanted to go over and have a word which would of been very risky seeing as he was on a yellow and the ref was already against him. I thought that was great leadership by Jones and probably helped us keep 11 on the pitch

he is my fav player jones but martis still very very good defender

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 14, 2012, 08:45:51 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Martis is one of the worst defenders we have ever had in terms of outlay. He has been with us for four seasons now on a mind blowing wage and what has he done? He's the most expensive liability to ever play for us. At least we could get rid of players like Harry Worley after a month.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 14, 2012, 08:47:37 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Martis is one of the worst defenders we have ever had in terms of outlay. He has been with us for four seasons now on a mind blowing wage and what has he done? He's the most expensive liability to ever play for us. At least we could get rid of players like Harry Worley after a month.

Obviously you have issue with him ....you catch him with your wife?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 14, 2012, 09:21:38 pm by ravenrover »
I worry every time the ball goes in our box when The Mattress is playing, His first move is to push the player he is marking, and not in a very subtle way. His 2nd move is to grab the player he is marking again in not a very subtle way.
He is a potential penalty on legs as far as I am concerned.
When he is named on our team sheet opposing managers must be rubbing their hands together
He's not been pulled up by many refs but it would appear, I wasn't there, that on this occasion the ref has seen it. I look forward to reviewing the football league excerpt with a magnifying glass to see if I am correct,

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 14, 2012, 10:48:49 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I worry every time the ball goes in our box when The Mattress is playing, His first move is to push the player he is marking, and not in a very subtle way. His 2nd move is to grab the player he is marking again in not a very subtle way.
When he is named on our team sheet opposing managers must be rubbing their hands together
He's not been pulled up by many refs but it would appear, I wasn't there, that on this occasion the ref has seen it. I look forward to reviewing the football league excerpt with a magnifying glass to see if I am correct,

utter utter rubbish

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 14, 2012, 11:00:09 pm by JonWallsend »
More than good enough for this league. I concur with the Championship quality theory.  He does have a tendency to keep the game interesting with a lapse in concentration, be it a misplaced pass or a bad touch, but he alongside Jones, who has been a tremendous acquisition, would be a top partnership for the remainder of the season.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 15, 2012, 02:41:05 pm by Colin C No.3 »
This a serious question?

More of a statement than a question, but here's a question for you. On what evidence do you glibly base a statement like the above on?
Still awaiting a reply, whilst you carry on blindly 'berating' other posters who like me, clearly think you're long overdue a trip to Specsavers!

Martis was a liability at Championship level (on the occasions he was deemed 'fit enough' to play) & he's not played enough games in this league as yet, for me to make a judgement on whether or not he is competent at this level. Given the massive gulf between the quality of football & players in the two divisions, I would hope he would be able to step up to the mark. Let's see.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 15, 2012, 03:03:22 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
This a serious question?

Still awaiting a reply, whilst you carry on blindly 'berating' other posters who like me, clearly think you're long overdue a trip to Specsavers!

Martis was a liability at Championship level (on the occasions he was deemed 'fit enough' to play) & he's not played enough games in this league as yet, for me to make a judgement on whether or not he is competent at this level. Given the massive gulf between the quality of football & players in the two divisions, I would hope he would be able to step up to the mark. Let's see.

On the handful of games i have seen him - christ he only played a handful in few years ... Was he note MOTM agaginst Shrewsbury? Or shall we just just ignore the facts?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 15, 2012, 04:15:23 pm by Dutch Uncle »

On the handful of games i have seen him - christ he only played a handful in few years ... Was he note MOTM agaginst Shrewsbury? Or shall we just just ignore the facts?
[/quote]

Out of interest I thought I'd just check on League matches played over the last 3 years:

Martis 27 (inc WBA) + 26 + 15 = 68

which is more than:
Lockwood 16 + 16 + 14 = 46
M.Woods 24 + 15 + 4 = 43

And not far behind:
Stock 15 + 37 + 26 = 78

And only ca 7 matches a season less than 2 players not normally thought to be injury prone:
Friend 30 (Wolves+ 4x loan) + 32 + 27 = 89
Spurr 46 (Wendies) + 26 + 19 = 91

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 15, 2012, 07:34:12 pm by ravenrover »

utter utter rubbish

Thanks for your succinct comment Norfolk. If he plays on Saturday I suggest you keep a close eye on him when the ball goes in our box, you might, just might change your opinion

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 15, 2012, 07:50:58 pm by DearneValleyRover »
It's all about opinions really, I believe Martis is more than good enough for this league and if fit the Championship plus stats would suggest that defensively we concede less when he plays than when he doesn't.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 15, 2012, 11:30:48 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The way some of our supporters describe Martis,it's like he's ''The Audley Harrison'' on boxing,instead of a centre-half who didn't quite make it at Premier league level,and apart from the odd lapse in concentration,is an accomplished Championship defender,without his injuries,he wouldn't still be with us,he could be the difference between just creeping into the play-offs and missing out,Jones and Martis if they play together enough,will be the best centre-half partnership in this league!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012