Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:46:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Franchise FC v AFC Wimbledon  (Read 7388 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Franchise FC v AFC Wimbledon
« on November 13, 2012, 08:53:51 pm by Filo »
Looks like the grudge match will happen, Franchise FC are currently 3-0 up in the reply, undoubted televised match I reckon

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Franchise FC v AFC Wimbledon
« Reply #1 on November 13, 2012, 08:59:47 pm by pubteam »
Disaster.

No doubt the media will dine out on it.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 13, 2012, 09:14:19 pm by ditch_drfc »
Does anybody else find football nicknames like "Franchise FC" really childish and boring?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 13, 2012, 09:24:42 pm by The L J Monk »
Does anybody else find football nicknames like "Franchise FC" really childish and boring?

I take it ditch_drfc is your real name?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 13, 2012, 09:27:09 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Yep, Thieving bas**rds FC, Cultural Nazi's FC, Corporate Cnuts FC are far more apt.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 13, 2012, 09:30:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Who says it's a grudge match?

Apart from the media, that is...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 13, 2012, 09:31:37 pm by Filo »
Who says it's a grudge match?

Apart from the media, that is...

If I were a Wimbledon fan I`d see it as a grudge match

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 13, 2012, 09:33:28 pm by The L J Monk »
Wimbledon fans don't want to play them.

Peter Winkelman and Karl Robinson can think of nothing more exciting.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 13, 2012, 11:27:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I think its more like Wimbledon fans don't want to give them the money on the gate, though it is a 50/50 split in this round. At least AFC will bag some cash from the TV money for this which could help save their League bacon for this season.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 14, 2012, 12:26:38 am by Viking Don »

Not in this game, it's been along time coming but it had to happen! I just hope the real wombles win.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 14, 2012, 05:37:25 am by sheffield exile1 »
OK Ditch (Dick?) Imagine your beloved Rovers moved to Blundell Park 60 miles away or as first mooted Dublin,,, FFS... would you still find the atrocity boring? It is all about what is wrong with corporate sport, not true grass roots football, progress is inevitable but not some unsavoury aspects... get a grip lad! 

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #11 on November 14, 2012, 07:14:36 am by Rovin Reporter »
I wonder who lays claim to the old boys ?

Dave Beasant      
Andrew Thorn      
Nigel Winterburn   
Wally Downes      
Carlton Fairweather         
Kevin Gage      
Vinnie Jones         
Lawrie Sanchez      
Dennis Wise      
Alan Cork      
John Fashanu      
Etc looks like a this lot would like a say on that front .   

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 14, 2012, 11:06:47 am by hoolahoop »

Not at all, you need to do your homework on what happened to the good folk of Merton and how their team, league position, nickname and history was stolen from them. Let's suggest that  our owners saw a better opportunity in say Wakefield..............would you be happy with having to form a new team and starting all over again at the bottom of the League ?
I can think of many other titles that I could add to ''Franchise'' but I'm sure I would serve a ban on here if I used them.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 14, 2012, 12:15:20 pm by ditch_drfc »
Time to calm it all down now. I never said anything about the plight of Wimbeldon FC or my views towards moving teams around the country etc etc

I don't need to do my homework Hoola. I know perfectly well what happened. (Anyone who isn't aware should read this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jan/11/clubsincrisis.sport?INTCMP=SRCH)

All I said was that I think that creating a nickname that you consciously have to use every time you talk about that team is daft. Like Blades/Blunts, Wednesday/Wendies, Man Utd/Manure. And I still do think it's daft.

sheffield exile1 sums it up.

OK Ditch (Dick?)

In not referring to me by my given forum name, and giving me a stupid nickname on the basis that its derogatory and has some of the same letters in it, he's resorted to name calling. Which is childish.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 14, 2012, 01:08:46 pm by Albert Trousers »
An AFC Wimbledon view http://www.sw19army.com/?p=7287

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #15 on November 14, 2012, 01:18:40 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
looking across the Atlantic Ocean, my relatives all live in Baltimore and on a visit there in the 70's i saw Baltimore Colts play Houston Oilers in American Football [NFL] at the wonderful old Memorial Stadium, which still resounded to the memory of the legendary Johnny Unitas.

then the Colts moved almost literally overnight to Indianapolis taking with them not just their name, but their history, colours, regalia and traditions.

Baltimore, a city the size of Liverpool was bereaved, betrayed and bitter. 

now they have the Ravens, a new ground and a new history being made.

newer, younger fans know no difference, but that event will never be forgotten and there is i believe still a certain tension when they meet which goes beyond normal rivalry.

how would i feel if the Rovers moved... just as bad. [unless they moved to Solihull where i now live of course!!!]

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 14, 2012, 05:00:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I can't find the Wimbledon fans forum, would be an interesting read. I read somewhere that their fans were keen on the idea of fans of other clubs going in the AFC end in their own colours as a protest.

Is anyone planning on going? I am if I can afford it.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 14, 2012, 05:05:59 pm by hoolahoop »
I can't find the Wimbledon fans forum, would be an interesting read. I read somewhere that their fans were keen on the idea of fans of other clubs going in the AFC end in their own colours as a protest.

Now that is an idea worth persuing, I like that BRR :)

northerncasual

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 14, 2012, 05:14:48 pm by northerncasual »
What's laughable is no one liked Wimbledon or cared about them when they existed. In fact in the eighties they rivalled luton as hated teams . Their thug hoof ball epitomised what was bad about eighties football. Plus the people of Wimbledon couldn't be arsed with them either

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 14, 2012, 05:41:24 pm by hoolahoop »
Time to calm it all down now. I never said anything about the plight of Wimbeldon FC or my views towards moving teams around the country etc etc

I don't need to do my homework Hoola. I know perfectly well what happened. (Anyone who isn't aware should read this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jan/11/clubsincrisis.sport?INTCMP=SRCH)

All I said was that I think that creating a nickname that you consciously have to use every time you talk about that team is daft. Like Blades/Blunts, Wednesday/Wendies, Man Utd/Manure. And I still do think it's daft.

OK Ditch (d**k?)

In not referring to me by my given forum name, and giving me a stupid nickname on the basis that its derogatory and has some of the same letters in it, he's resorted to name calling. Which is childish.

Would you prefer us to refer to the Frachise as MK ''Dons'' (Dons being the nickname for the Wombles)..........? Sorry unable to do that.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 14, 2012, 05:59:24 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
What's laughable is no one liked Wimbledon or cared about them when they existed. In fact in the eighties they rivalled luton as hated teams . Their thug hoof ball epitomised what was bad about eighties football. Plus the people of Wimbledon couldn't be arsed with them either

I liked them, more so because of the way they have come back up the leagues in recent years :)

Their crowds increased massively, also declined quickly - but we can relate to that. Probably more so for them because they were a London team. It takes a long time to build a fan base.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 14, 2012, 06:12:58 pm by The Red Baron »

People only hated them because they were a small club who punched above their weight- ditto Luton. Although in the latter case there was the plastic pitch and the knob of a chairman who banned away fans.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 14, 2012, 06:14:20 pm by The Red Baron »

how would i feel if the Rovers moved... just as bad. [unless they moved to Solihull where i now live of course!!!]

Given the crowds the Moors get, I doubt that is very likely!  ;)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 14, 2012, 06:17:34 pm by The Red Baron »

Would be possible for Rovers fans as the game is now on the Sunday (ours is on Sat).

On ITV1- quelle surprise!

The FA Cup Second Round tie between MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon will be broadcast on ITV1

MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon
 The FA Cup with Budweiser
 Second Round Proper
 12.30pm, Sunday 2 December 2012
 stadiummk, MK Dons FC

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 14, 2012, 06:23:31 pm by Mr1Croft »
These two clubs are often quoted as one and the same once upon a time. But history aside and they couldn't be different. What we have here is two clubs, with one making a stance against the corporate corruption in the game and becoming one of the most successful fan owned clubs against the other which is owned by someone whose history is a pop music production executive, and a managing director of a property consortium.

Fan owned clubs are the way forward and this match will be typically seen as a must win for AFC Wimbledon to prove that making the decision to form their own club was the right decision. Although that is much further from the truth. AFC made a stand in 2004 and they have not abolished their principles like every other 91 clubs in the  football and premier league have done so at one point in their history.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 14, 2012, 06:49:09 pm by StocktonRover »

OK Ditch (d**k?)

Come on Ditch old lad - you cant make a stand about name calling when you yourself are guilty of it.
Isn't it funny that the swear filter picks up Dick but not Prick or t**t?
(swear filter now appears to be amended)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:08:40 pm by StocktonRover »

GM-MarkB

« Reply #26 on November 14, 2012, 07:39:05 pm by GM-MarkB »
looking across the Atlantic Ocean, my relatives all live in Baltimore and on a visit there in the 70's i saw Baltimore Colts play Houston Oilers in American Football [NFL] at the wonderful old Memorial Stadium, which still resounded to the memory of the legendary Johnny Unitas.

then the Colts moved almost literally overnight to Indianapolis taking with them not just their name, but their history, colours, regalia and traditions.

Baltimore, a city the size of Liverpool was bereaved, betrayed and bitter. 

now they have the Ravens, a new ground and a new history being made.

newer, younger fans know no difference, but that event will never be forgotten and there is i believe still a certain tension when they meet which goes beyond normal rivalry.

The trucks moved in under cover of darkness to remove any last trace of the Colts from Baltimore.

The Move

In January 1984 (Robert) Irsay appeared before the Baltimore media and exclaimed, "This is my goddamn team!" He reiterated that, despite problems, the rumors that he was moving the team were untrue. With negotiations over improvements to Memorial Stadium at an impasse, one of the chambers of the Maryland state legislature passed a law on March 27, 1984, allowing the city of Baltimore to seize the Colts under eminent domain, which city and county officials had threatened to do. Irsay later claimed the city promised him a new football stadium, something they later denied, citing the team's poor attendance. The next day, fearing a dawn raid on the team's Owings Mills headquarters, Irsay accepted a deal offered by the city of Indianapolis,

[The state legislature and the city of Baltimore] not only threw down the gauntlet, but they put a gun to his head and cocked it and asked, 'want to see if it's loaded?' They forced him to make a decision that day.
    —Michael Chernoff, the team's general counsel, after the move.

Indianapolis Mayor, William H. Hudnut III, contacted John Burnside Smith, then CEO of the Mayflower Transit Company, who arranged for fifteen trucks to pack the team's property hurriedly and transport it to Indianapolis in the early hours of the morning of March 29. An ecstatic crowd in Indianapolis greeted the arrival of its new NFL team, and the team received 143,000 season ticket requests in just two weeks.

Baltimore was without a National Football League team until 1996, when Art Modell moved the Cleveland Browns there. Initially they were to be named the Baltimore Browns. However, in order to minimize controversy related to the teams historical identity, similar to that of the Baltimore Colts, Modell agreed to change the name of his team to the Ravens. Cleveland was promised a new team by 1999 that inherited the Browns' name, colors, and history.

Sounds uncannily familiar
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:41:12 pm by GM-MarkB »

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 14, 2012, 08:43:08 pm by Albert Trousers »

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #28 on November 14, 2012, 10:30:28 pm by Rovin Reporter »

Not at all, you need to do your homework on what happened to the good folk of Merton and how their team, league position, nickname and history was stolen from them. Let's suggest that  our owners saw a better opportunity in say Wakefield..............would you be happy with having to form a new team and starting all over again at the bottom of the League ?
I can think of many other titles that I could add to ''Franchise'' but I'm sure I would serve a ban on here if I used them.
To my knowledge Merton has nothing to do with Wimbledon ! AFC Wimbledon kept the name but heritage belongs to MKDons as the upt sticks and chose to change their name . Homework ! I think I did mine  :unsure:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 14, 2012, 10:39:45 pm by Filo »

To my knowledge Merton has nothing to do with Wimbledon ! AFC Wimbledon kept the name but heritage belongs to MKDons as the upt sticks and chose to change their name . Homework ! I think I did mine  :unsure:

0/10 for the homework, Wimbledon is in the London Borough of Merton!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012