Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:56:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: wild Rover  (Read 8749 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
wild Rover
« on November 24, 2012, 11:33:17 pm by River Don »
As an intro song, it does it for me.

Was that the Pogues version?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: wild Rover
« Reply #1 on November 24, 2012, 11:39:12 pm by jonnydog »
Agree, it was much an improvement.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 24, 2012, 11:41:25 pm by stuey »
Thought it was brilliant, until that fecking moron with the microphone started babbling shite about sponsors etc. He really is a first class c**t

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 24, 2012, 11:46:40 pm by Viking Don »
Personally thought all the intro music was shite. Molly Malone, are you kidding me, like we need to slit our wrists before a game? Hey Jude? Yeah got the scunny fans singing at least. Wild Rover? FFS just turn the music off when the teams come out, I could hardly hear the actual crowd!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 24, 2012, 11:59:36 pm by River Don »
Personally thought all the intro music was shite. Molly Malone, are you kidding me, like we need to slit our wrists before a game? Hey Jude? Yeah got the scunny fans singing at least. Wild Rover? FFS just turn the music off when the teams come out, I could hardly hear the actual crowd!

No nay never

I thought it helped build the atoms, which was the best it's been for a while

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 25, 2012, 12:00:40 am by RobTheRover »
Its a good job we are all Pro(ton)s

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 25, 2012, 12:08:12 am by River Don »
Its a good job we arree all Pro(ton)s

This is a slow connection and a rubbish screen. And I have fingers like sausages

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 25, 2012, 12:17:33 am by RobTheRover »
Better get a neu(tron) screen then, mate! ;)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 25, 2012, 12:25:40 am by River Don »

I'll elect(ron) to get a new one when I can.

I'll get mi coat

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 25, 2012, 12:26:27 am by Viking Don »
And why the remembrance service stuff about the lad who buggered off to London? Sorry but I'm just not getting it, we aren't at church, we're at a football match, so what exactly is the point of having these things?

I just know that will offend the sensitive souls on here who feel oh so sad about something that they haven't even thought about for years but hey ho.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2012, 12:29:38 am by Mr1Croft »

I'll elect(ron) to get a new one when I can.

I'll get mi coat

Are you positive about that?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2012, 12:32:24 am by RobTheRover »
And why the remembrance service stuff about the lad who buggered off to London? Sorry but I'm just not getting it, we aren't at church, we're at a football match, so what exactly is the point of having these things?

I just know that will offend the sensitive souls on here who feel oh so sad about something that they haven't even thought about for years but hey ho.

Got to say, I'm all for reminding people that Andrew is missing, but the wording of the announcement as a remembrance was very strange.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2012, 12:47:22 am by Filo »
As an intro song, it does it for me.

Was that the Pogues version?

Dropkick Murphys, I think

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 25, 2012, 12:49:05 am by Filo »
Thought it was brilliant, until that fecking moron with the microphone started babbling shite about sponsors etc. He really is a first class c**t

I thought the same, even some guys around me that never make any noise were singing it, until microphone man killed it stone dead!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 25, 2012, 01:02:20 am by Viking Don »

Got to say, I'm all for reminding people that Andrew is missing, but the wording of the announcement as a remembrance was very strange.

This may sound harsh but I'm not even in favour of reminding people that Andrew is missing, at least not at a football match. Lots of people go missing but I really don't want to go watch Rovers and take part in some kind of survey, I just want to watch a football match. It's almost becoming the norm to have some kind of little sad thing announced before the game starts to get everyone in a sombre mood, then folk moan about the lack of atmosphere FFS. Jeez, just leave it to the media, stop f**king people off before the match even starts!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 25, 2012, 01:19:37 am by River Don »
I don't mind them reminding us about him. I remember it, and it's very sad he still hasn't been found.

Anyway. Wild Rover isn't a bad intro song is it?

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 25, 2012, 01:27:28 am by Viking Don »
Well that's kinda my point, I don't want to feel sad about someone I don't know or think about just before a game. It pisses me off. It doesn't help in any way. For all I know the lad could be having the time of his life in that there bloody London, what's it to me?

I don't mind an intro song, but it's an irish song which I don't get, it's too loud, and it goes on for far too long so drowns out the sound of the crowd. Next thing folk will be asking for crowd noises so as to create an atmosphere. Just let it happen I say, trying to force one is just so cheesy and has the opposite effect.

And while I'm at it, get some bloody women dancers not ones Savile would be looking at.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:33:01 am by Viking Don »

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 25, 2012, 01:35:21 am by MR A-Z »
Pride by mike greaves on Paul heaton and the 8th album. Has to be our song.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 25, 2012, 09:21:40 am by The Red Baron »
Quite happy with Hey Jude and Wild Rover but please lose Molly Malone. It's a dirge and it deadens rather then enhancing the atmosphere.

I realise I'll be accused of bad taste but when I saw those folk with the flyers for "Missing People" I thought it was some kind of campaign to attract back missing fans.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 25, 2012, 10:24:17 am by Rios »
My Dad would have a fit if he'd been there yesterday.  He already has palpitations everytime he sees me in a hooped shirt (even though it's red), but Irish music as well!  Almost thought we should be signing the Sash just to balance it up a bit.

Despite being a grumpy old cumudgeon, even I thought the choice of music was an imporvement and showed some thought.... and Carly Ray Jepson didn't make an appearance either!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 25, 2012, 10:45:54 am by The Red Baron »
Almost thought we should be signing the Sash just to balance it up a bit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfIdj8Pc88" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfIdj8Pc88</a>

Quite a nice banging little number- could be good to run out to.  ;)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 25, 2012, 10:47:52 am by Sprotyrover »
Just needs a more uptempo version of Molly Malone and we are there!!! :rtid:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 25, 2012, 10:53:29 am by MrFrost »
Well that's kinda my point, I don't want to feel sad about someone I don't know or think about just before a game. It pisses me off. It doesn't help in any way. For all I know the lad could be having the time of his life in that there bloody London, what's it to me?

I don't mind an intro song, but it's an irish song which I don't get, it's too loud, and it goes on for far too long so drowns out the sound of the crowd. Next thing folk will be asking for crowd noises so as to create an atmosphere. Just let it happen I say, trying to force one is just so cheesy and has the opposite effect.

And while I'm at it, get some bloody women dancers not ones Savile would be looking at.

Have a bit of respect for the lads parents. All they are doing is keeping the fact their son is missing in the public eye. Wouldn't you if it was your son? Don't be so quick to judge or question the motives when you don't have the first idea what they are going through.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 25, 2012, 10:53:46 am by The Red Baron »
Johnny Logan anyone:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4pa4A9beno" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4pa4A9beno</a>

Still think it's a dirge and doesn't set the mood well.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 25, 2012, 11:14:20 am by Spud »
I like the version of Wild Rover, hope it catches on with the singing section. Agree re Molly Malone, it dulls the atmosphere. Is there a more upbeat version out there?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 25, 2012, 11:25:12 am by hoolahoop »
Anyone know why and when we started this obsession with Molly Malone ? I have been going since 67/68 season and I can't remember whether it was THE anthem then , however we had loads more songs in our repertoire in those days or at least we appeared to (memory playing tricks ?) perhaps. It also seemed as if a far larger proportion of our supporters were prepared to join in to (again perhaps selective memory ?)
Maybe some of the oldies on here can confirm whether or not I'm going senile ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 25, 2012, 11:29:34 am by The Red Baron »
I can remember singing it at away games in the 70s. Although our version of "Daisy Daisy" was far more popular to be honest!

Still think the Joe Laidlaw song was the highlight of those days.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 25, 2012, 11:32:21 am by silent majority »
I like the version of Wild Rover, hope it catches on with the singing section. Agree re Molly Malone, it dulls the atmosphere. Is there a more upbeat version out there?

I'm afraid there isn't, I have been looking as I agree that its a bit of a dirge.The best I can find is by Bryn Terfel the Welsh opera guy. Can't find the album version on You tube but its available on Spotify. There is a live version however;
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynSPJGtAv4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynSPJGtAv4</a>

There is an alternative version here as well, but most people I've asked don't like this either;
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYSbMKjBC8o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYSbMKjBC8o</a>

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 25, 2012, 11:39:11 am by dumbroofer »

does brush shiels version tick the boxes spud? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1eYRqXAkU

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 25, 2012, 11:44:04 am by silent majority »
Anyone know why and when we started this obsession with Molly Malone ? I have been going since 67/68 season and I can't remember whether it was THE anthem then , however we had loads more songs in our repertoire in those days or at least we appeared to (memory playing tricks ?) perhaps. It also seemed as if a far larger proportion of our supporters were prepared to join in to (again perhaps selective memory ?)
Maybe some of the oldies on here can confirm whether or not I'm going senile ?

I wouldn't say it was an anthem, or the anthem, its just always seemed to be there. Wild Rover is more upbeat, especially the version we've been playing. I think it was more noticeable yesterday as we changed the order from the Bournemouth game, then they came out to Molly, yesterday they came out to WR.

As for Hey Jude, that was always a Belle Vue favourite, and as my younger brother reminded me yesterday that when we played Norwich in the FA Cup in 81/82 we sang it non-stop for about twenty minutes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012