Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:54:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: wild Rover  (Read 8748 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: wild Rover
« Reply #30 on November 25, 2012, 12:09:39 pm by silent majority »
I like the version of Wild Rover, hope it catches on with the singing section. Agree re Molly Malone, it dulls the atmosphere. Is there a more upbeat version out there?

does brush shiels version tick the boxes spud? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1eYRqXAkU

Its certainly better than the version we've been playing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 25, 2012, 12:30:33 pm by Donnywolf »
Anyone know why and when we started this obsession with Molly Malone ? I have been going since 67/68 season and I can't remember whether it was THE anthem then , however we had loads more songs in our repertoire in those days or at least we appeared to (memory playing tricks ?) perhaps. It also seemed as if a far larger proportion of our supporters were prepared to join in to (again perhaps selective memory ?)
Maybe some of the oldies on here can confirm whether or not I'm going senile ?

My only recollection of Molly Malone was as a chant - and one that was adopted by any Club wanting a 2 syllable finish as in Rovers  :scarf: Scunny Barnsley

I dont remember it being "played" over the PA as an Anthem nor do I remember Wild Rover either.

Personally and this is of course only my humble opinion I dislike both of them and think Molly Malone would be more suited to somewhere like Fleetwood or Grimsby and Wild Rover is just a dirge that happens to have Rover in the lyrics  :chair: :chair: :chair:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 25, 2012, 12:41:48 pm by hoolahoop »
Big John that's my recollection too just as a minor chant i.e. one of many deffo not an anthem. I agree with your post in it's entirety.
We need to look elsewhere imo

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 25, 2012, 01:05:07 pm by Spud »
It's a better version Dumbroofer tbf, not sure how it wouldwork in the stadium but it can't be any worse than the current version.
Thing is, when it is sung, it's as if everyone's trying to rush the song through. Wild Rover would work better as an anthem imo.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 25, 2012, 01:19:48 pm by streatham dave »
I like the Idea of both Wild Rover and Molly Malone being played before the matches. To add to the theme of things sung or played that aren't any longer it's not PC at all but Centerfold by The J Geils band was played loads (for much longer than it was in the chart) in the 80's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg or one for the families, bring me Sunshine was sung regularly for a while. Must admit I really like the Willie Nelson version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cksNlqNhIxU

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 25, 2012, 02:13:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Molly Malone was my fave song in the mid seventies, it felt like our anthem in those days. Agree with the Brush Shiels version but only up to 46secs on the youtube vid and let the crowd take over. Would that work? Risky! HAS to have a BIG crowd involvement and I'm not sure that would happen.

Wild Rover has to be the Dropkick Murphys. This would be the best to go with - the music intro being played first with the team coming out at 20 secs on the vid below, similar to the effect of the bells in the Hells Bells that Fuzzy had a link to for that Swiss team. And for gods sake, no announcer in any of it! Less risky, I think it would get the crowd going.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-1O_wBYXY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-1O_wBYXY</a>

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 25, 2012, 02:25:05 pm by hoolahoop »
Molly Malone was my fave song in the mid seventies, it felt like our anthem in those days. Agree with the Brush Shiels version but only up to 46secs on the youtube vid and let the crowd take over. Would that work? Risky! HAS to have a BIG crowd involvement and I'm not sure that would happen.

Wild Rover has to be the Dropkick Murphys. This would be the best to go with - the music intro being played first with the team coming out at 20 secs on the vid below, similar to the effect of the bells in the Hells Bells that Fuzzy had a link to for that Swiss team. And for gods sake, no announcer in any of it! Less risky, I think it would get the crowd going.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-1O_wBYXY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-1O_wBYXY</a>

Now that one COULD work........love it . There's plenty of clapping in it to get the crowd warmed up too.

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 25, 2012, 03:31:35 pm by paddy hoops »
If you had a decent portion of the crowd singing wild rover it would sound mint!! It'd be better if they just played the first verse over the tannoy and then let the fans take over on their own for the rest.
I don't see why people are complaining about it being an Irish song, I'd sing a Mongolian song if it got everyone goin before the game.

COME ON YOU HOOOOOPS!!!!  :scarf:

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 25, 2012, 03:52:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
I dont know if this is feasible, but how about we hire a good celidah band and have them do a gig at the leopard or Hallcross which we then fill with drunken rovers supporters and after 4/5 pints we record the two songs :woot:

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 25, 2012, 06:27:42 pm by FuzzyDuck »
PLEASE NOT WILD ROVER!

Wild Rover is a great football anthem that should be sung by every club.

The problem?  I just said it. EVERY CLUB SINGS IT!!!

You want to be out-sung by Leeds next time we play them?  GO AHEAD WITH WILD ROVER!!!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 25, 2012, 07:27:31 pm by silent majority »

Now that one COULD work........love it . There's plenty of clapping in it to get the crowd warmed up too.

Hoola, that is the one we've been playing for the last few weeks!

But let me remind everyone how this started, it wasn't a search for an anthem, new or otherwise, but an exercise in changing the music to try and improve the atmosphere. I think so far the results have been positive, but we have no intention of forcing anything on the Keepmoat crowd, we're experimenting to see how it goes. Next week we have another meeting to look at all things pre-match, timings, announcements etc. Again, just playing around with things to see if we can make it more acceptable. It's one of the IRWT subject areas.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 25, 2012, 08:20:04 pm by The Beast »
PLEASE NOT WILD ROVER!

Wild Rover is a great football anthem that should be sung by every club.

The problem?  I just said it. EVERY CLUB SINGS IT!!!

You want to be out-sung by Leeds next time we play them?  GO AHEAD WITH WILD ROVER!!! 

Wild Rover worked for me, quite enjoyed it. Thought the atmosphere was a lot better yesterday, mind  it's not every week you hammer your local  rivals. As for been out sung by Leeds, I'm afraid that's always going to happen, the vile Donny b@s t@rds.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on November 25, 2012, 08:34:42 pm by hoolahoop »

Hoola, that is the one we've been playing for the last few weeks!

But let me remind everyone how this started, it wasn't a search for an anthem, new or otherwise, but an exercise in changing the music to try and improve the atmosphere. I think so far the results have been positive, but we have no intention of forcing anything on the Keepmoat crowd, we're experimenting to see how it goes. Next week we have another meeting to look at all things pre-match, timings, announcements etc. Again, just playing around with things to see if we can make it more acceptable. It's one of the IRWT subject areas.

Sorry didn't get into the match until 3:05 yesterday due to queueing and certainly can't remember that being the version played at the last 2 home games..........doh. Sorry boss.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 26, 2012, 10:03:24 am by Donnywolf »
Big John that's my recollection too just as a minor chant i.e. one of many deffo not an anthem. I agree with your post in it's entirety.
We need to look elsewhere imo

Yes a chant and in a parallel universe we will be running out to this in 20 years time :

Same idea - rather than SANE idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOy7EZ27s7k&feature=related

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 26, 2012, 03:24:15 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Just seen the entrance on Player (full Scunthorpe game on there  :cool:) and thought Wild Rover sounded good, was unique and fits for us, though wrecked by the announcements piling in waaay to soon :facepalm:

I realise the sponsors announcements have to be made, and ideally just before kick off, but please nudge them either before the players come out or at least 3 mins after so the intro music has its moment .

It doesn't matter if other teams join in with their version - in fact it adds to the atmosphere, bring it on! If the entrance music is repeated over a few home games the crowd will get it and join in more. Good job VSC  :thumbsup:

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 26, 2012, 04:28:26 pm by Rovers Return »
Ironically really the match report in the Sun was headlined.....Wild Rovers.      :woohoo: :scarf:

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 28, 2012, 10:56:18 pm by ditch_drfc »
You know what viking Don, your comments are unbelievable. Im so amazed i don't know what to say. Some kid buggered off to London god knows how long ago? Bang out of order. You should be totally ashamed of yourself. Id hate to have a child go missing. They were only trying to refresh it in peoples minds and to find their son.

Sorry if it f**ks you off that my girlfriend is trying to find her brother.

Some people are unbelievable. You're one of them

Oh and sorry if im one of those "sensitive ones"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012