Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 08:13:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dean Saunders will be...  (Read 7465 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Dean Saunders will be...
« on November 27, 2012, 11:55:22 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Dick Watson's gift to us
as JR's Sod was ...
Discuss!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovin Reporter

Re: Dean Saunders will be...
« Reply #1 on November 28, 2012, 12:04:05 am by Rovin Reporter »
Dick Watson is boxing clever  in this case , but January is where Deano is planning his next venture so lets hope we are preparing for the Championship now and not waiting until July and ploughing through a bunch of nameless trialists again.  :boxing:

SIRFRAN

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 28, 2012, 12:04:44 am by SIRFRAN »
Dean Saunders will be ....... The first person I apologise to!!! I slated him pre season and I'm over the moon he's proving myself and his doubters wrong!! Keep it up deano!! Yourself and the club as a whole are impressing on and off the pitch this season!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 28, 2012, 12:11:12 am by MachoMadness »
Just to give people a snapshot of how far we've come from last season - 10 times now this season we've scored first, and we've won all 10 of those games. Can't speak highly enough of Deano for how he's turned the team around after 18 months of embarrassment.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 28, 2012, 01:07:31 am by newyankee »
In the next couple of years Dean Saunders will become a very highly rated manager, hopefully at Premier League level. He has the ability to pick out players for the ability they have, regardless of previous reputation.

He is very articulate and would work well with the Premier league press. We will find it very hard to hold on to him, as was the case when we went to Wrexham to get him.

Mark my words, he has to gain a little more experience and clubs will be fighting for him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 28, 2012, 01:09:31 am by RedJ »
Mark my words, he has to gain a little more experience and clubs will be fighting for him.
such as a promotion? :P

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 28, 2012, 01:19:19 am by MachoMadness »
I always say it's easy to forget he's still a young manager because he seemed to be around forever as a player. I agree with NY, if he continues to improve and make intelligent decisions and signings he'll have clubs interested in him, and most definitely Wales too.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 28, 2012, 08:53:35 am by drfcsteve »
Over reaction if I've ever seen it. There's plenty of great managers that haven't been able to cut it at premiership level. Dean is doing very well in a poor league one at the moment, and the football is hardly eye catching. He's got a lot to prove before people can call him worthy of the premiership, he didn't exactly prove himself in the Championship.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 28, 2012, 09:04:17 am by Scooter »
I think Dean has proved a lot of people wrong. Its still early days and there are a lot of areas we can improve in. In my view:
1. He has brought decent players in capable of doing a job in this division
2. He has/ is nurturing a team spirit
3. His players graft and work hard even if the quality isn't always there
4. He appears to be working hard behind the scenes within the budget - i think I read that he saved £300k for reducing the support staff
5. He shows an interest in youth
6. He is learning from his substitutions - proof is the positive comments about syers coming on and making a difference
7. I have also noticed an improvement in crowd atmosphere and the fans are getting behind the team and both on saturday and last night there were clear chants supporting Saunders
8. I think both he and the team will grow as the season moves on

Congratulations Dean - keep up the good work

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 28, 2012, 09:18:31 am by The Red Baron »
Over reaction if I've ever seen it. There's plenty of great managers that haven't been able to cut it at premiership level. Dean is doing very well in a poor league one at the moment, and the football is hardly eye catching. He's got a lot to prove before people can call him worthy of the premiership, he didn't exactly prove himself in the Championship.

He did have the handicap of the "Mckay experiment" last season though. He deserves a chance to see if he could do better in the Championship with a squad he's built himself.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 28, 2012, 09:23:01 am by dickos1 »
Poor league one this poor league one that... He can only beat what's put in front of him.
Can't believe I'm still having to stick up for him when you look at the table it's ridiculous

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 28, 2012, 09:27:33 am by Donnywolf »

..... Manager of the Month ?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 28, 2012, 09:44:51 am by benaldo »
He's (Saunders) finally doing it hasn't he. He's delivering what, most people, said he would. Equal top on points by the end of November? Proper, good quality defence for the first time in years and years? Quality players, in Cotterill, Jones, Clingan, Hume? Bringing on youth players? Working within the budget? Crowds increasing? Future looking bright? Who'd have thought it.....

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 28, 2012, 09:49:26 am by ravenrover »
I think Dean has proved a lot of people wrong. Its still early days and there are a lot of areas we can improve in. In my view:
1. He has brought decent players in capable of doing a job in this division
2. He has/ is nurturing a team spirit
3. His players graft and work hard even if the quality isn't always there
4. He appears to be working hard behind the scenes within the budget - i think I read that he saved £300k for reducing the support staff
5. He shows an interest in youth
6. He is learning from his substitutions - proof is the positive comments about syers coming on and making a difference
7. I have also noticed an improvement in crowd atmosphere and the fans are getting behind the team and both on saturday and last night there were clear chants supporting Saunders
8. I think both he and the team will grow as the season moves on

Congratulations Dean - keep up the good work

He'd better watch out or he'll be getting a visit from the Met  :lol:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 28, 2012, 01:04:06 pm by BobG »
And why is everybody assuming that it's DS who's saved the money on the support staff? That's a Board decision. Not an employees'.

BobG

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 28, 2012, 02:00:48 pm by Filo »
And why is everybody assuming that it's DS who's saved the money on the support staff? That's a Board decision. Not an employees'.

BobG

Is n`t a manger there to manage? i.e. get the best out of the available resources

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 28, 2012, 02:05:00 pm by The L J Monk »
Given we have one of the highest wage bills in the division, isn't he just doing exactly what he should be?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 28, 2012, 02:17:56 pm by BobG »
He doesn't employ or dis-employ people. In an organisation this size, facing significant financial constraints, appointments will be the prerogative of the Board or their delegated representative, the Chief Executive. DS can propose of course. But action? Hmmm.

BobG

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 28, 2012, 02:43:49 pm by dickos1 »
One of deans tasks was to reduce the wage bill, I believe he would've had decisions to make on who to get rid of. Playing wise and behind the scenes

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 28, 2012, 02:47:30 pm by roversam »

BobG
Nice to see you are not calling Deano the Welsh dwarf, and our esteemed manager any more, have you changed your opinion about him by any chance.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 28, 2012, 05:30:15 pm by RedJ »
He doesn't employ or dis-employ people. In an organisation this size, facing significant financial constraints, appointments will be the prerogative of the Board or their delegated representative, the Chief Executive. DS can propose of course. But action? Hmmm.

BobG

They have control over the backroom team I believe, which includes the people we let go, so I'd imagine he does have a say..

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 28, 2012, 09:48:42 pm by dumbroofer »
One of deans tasks was to reduce the wage bill, I believe he would've had decisions to make on who to get rid of. Playing wise and behind the scenes

and poor dean reduced the wage bill by doing what exactly? oh yes i remember being a major part of getting us relegated if memory serves me well.
got to give him his due though, he is giving it a bloody good shot at getting us back.
so well done and lets hope it continues.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 28, 2012, 09:50:56 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Did he really have control of the incomings last season though????

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 28, 2012, 09:56:53 pm by RedJ »

and poor dean reduced the wage bill by doing what exactly? oh yes i remember being a major part of getting us relegated if memory serves me well.
got to give him his due though, he is giving it a bloody good shot at getting us back.

Come off it. No one would've kept us up last season. We can hardly judge him on last season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 28, 2012, 10:06:07 pm by dickos1 »

Errr, by getting rid of almost all the squad, sign 7 or 8 great players on nowhere near the same money, get rid of all the pointless backroom staff, will that do u?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 28, 2012, 10:09:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Given we have one of the highest wage bills in the division, isn't he just doing exactly what he should be?

True.

But we also had one of the highest wage bills in the division in 07/08, as well as several years of strong, steady, sensible growth behind us and after 20 games we were 11 points behind where we are now.

Saunders has done a quite phenomenal job in turning round a rapidly sinking ship. I suggest that it's time that EVERYBODY put the past behind us and got on with balls-out support of what may turn into one of the best seasons in our history.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 28, 2012, 10:13:30 pm by RedJ »

True.

But we also had one of the highest wage bills in the division in 07/08, as well as several years of strong, steady, sensible growth behind us and after 20 games we were 11 points behind where we are now.

Saunders has done a quite phenomenal job in turning round a rapidly sinking ship. I suggest that it's time that EVERYBODY put the past behind us and got on with balls-out support of what may turn into one of the best seasons in our history.

That's not going to happen, not for a few months yet, and never for some, I'd imagine. People think it's mad to sing his name despite what we've achieved so far even now, bloody ridiculous. I know we're entitled to an opinion, but it works both ways..

SIRFRAN

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 28, 2012, 10:45:03 pm by SIRFRAN »
The bottom line is - whether you like saunders or not - there is no argument against 39pts on the board and joint top! Especially considering that this squad was mainly put together pre season and was never really expected to hit the ground running!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 28, 2012, 10:56:09 pm by wilts rover »

Having a large wage bill doesnt necessarily make you a good team. Why didn't Portsmouth win the Championship last season for instance? It most often means that some players are being paid far too much....

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 28, 2012, 11:05:18 pm by dumbroofer »

Errr, by getting rid of almost all the squad, sign 7 or 8 great players on nowhere near the same money, get rid of all the pointless backroom staff, will that do u?

so you pick up on the slight bit of stick given deans way,and no mention of the praise given.
im not going over old ground again,last season is history and this is history in the making,so it is onwards and upwards,enjoy the ride.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012