Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:21:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: greatest ever  (Read 7893 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: greatest ever
« Reply #60 on December 07, 2012, 07:24:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
John/Vic

Apologies. You are correct. Deans had a shot from about 35 yards out near the right touch line in the first half. That was what I was remembering.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 07, 2012, 07:37:39 pm by JonWallsend »
John/Vic

Apologies. You are correct. Deans had a shot from about 35 yards out near the right touch line in the first half. That was what I was remembering.

He couldn't half hit a ball. That side around 85 were very close to being the finished article but for injuries to key players. Had Deans and Brown not suffered career ending injuries, and with a couple of additions, we'd have made the second tier a good twenty years earlier than we did.

Even when the Snods left we looked half decent- it wasn't until Bremner left for Leeds that we ultimately started to decline- or is nostalgia kicking in and I have my rose tinted specs on again?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 07, 2012, 09:06:38 pm by 1879Rovers »
I think you are right, we kept going for a few years but Dave Cusack was a yes man who sold every decent player we had left at the club for peanuts.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 07, 2012, 10:41:23 pm by Standanista »
John/Vic

He couldn't half hit a ball. That side around 85 were very close to being the finished article but for injuries to key players. Had Deans and Brown not suffered career ending injuries, and with a couple of additions, we'd have made the second tier a good twenty years earlier than we did.

Even when the Snods left we looked half decent- it wasn't until Bremner left for Leeds that we ultimately started to decline- or is nostalgia kicking in and I have my rose tinted specs on again?
Agreed, we were still good post-Snodins; I remember Dave Travis playing a couple of stormers in midfield in the Snods Jr role.  Brown was probably always on borrowed time, losing Deans was a setback, but for me the biggest loss was Bremner.

As for the greatest ever goal in the matches I've watched Rovers: Harlie versus QPR, hands down.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 07, 2012, 11:06:36 pm by Herman Hessian »
maybe not for quality, but for a statement of intent:

duerden at rushden - any one of the three.....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:21:24 pm by Herman Hessian »

ck-rtid

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on December 08, 2012, 12:50:02 am by ck-rtid »
Glen Kirkwood's stunning 25yd goal against Dover to make it 5-4 was a cracker

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on December 08, 2012, 09:24:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The best statements of intent at Rushden were Colin Sutherland's left hooks onto Colin West's jaw.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012