Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:28:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Last night  (Read 4416 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Last night
« on December 05, 2012, 08:40:26 am by The Red Baron »
Unless I've missed it, no-one seems to have commented on last night's performance.

I believe that all you can ask is that the team gives 100% and they did that last night. All the more creditable considering that the team included three players making their first starts and a sub who also made his first-team debut. For long periods there was only one team in it, and it wasn't Crewe. We had a dodgy ten minutes before half-time and conceded, but we kept plugging away and got the equaliser our efforts deserved. Had there been extra time, with Crewe down to 10 men, I'd have fancied our chances.

So we lost a Cup game on penalties- so what? We tried out some youngsters who weren't found wanting and I'll guarantee that Wakefield, Middleton, Meade and Finnegan will not be one-game wonders.

Special mentions to Chris Brown- who ran his blood to water leading the line and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed. To Martis, who was calm and assured in defence and to Clingan and Blake who played the role of the old heads in an inexperieced side. To hell with the result- that was a performance to be proud of.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: Last night
« Reply #1 on December 05, 2012, 08:56:39 am by donnievic »
Top effort from all the lads last night but have to say both Middleton and Meade did not look out of  placein midfield,both wanted the ball and even facing their own goals still looked composed on the ball and linked well with Sammy and wouldn't think OH SHIT  if they were given a start in a league game in near future.

As for the game we started brightly again and both teams had sum decent chances in the 1st half,2nd half i would say we were 2nd best on a whole but while ever it was only 1-0 we still had a chance as it proved although in the end it didnt work out on penalties.

neil grainger

« Reply #2 on December 05, 2012, 09:05:18 am by neil grainger »
Many thanks for those summaries guys.

It sounds like there was a lot to be positive about and the performances of the youngsters is particularly encouraging.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 05, 2012, 09:48:23 am by The Beast »
Thanks for the reports, nice to hear from people who've been to the game rather than ten who haven't blaming Martis for defeat! It would be fantastic if we could bring these youngsters on and they become first team regulars  in the years to come.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 05, 2012, 09:50:50 am by hoolahoop »
Time to concentrate again on getting out of this Division as soon as possible I listened to the game last night and it appeared that we put in an excellent performance given the ''bugs'' in the squad.  :rtid: :rtid:

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 05, 2012, 10:17:00 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
What was the starting XI? And subs? Please.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 05, 2012, 10:20:50 am by bobjimwilly »

Started: Gary Woods; Andy Griffin, Liam Wakefield, Shelton Martis, James Husband, David Cotterill, Sammy Clingan, Josh Meade, Harry Middleton, Robbie Blake, Chris Brown
Subs used – Evan Finnegan for Husband 54 mins, Iain Hume for Cotterill 54 mins, Paul Quinn for Griffin 65 mins;
Subs not used - Jordan Ball, Jon Maxted

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/report-crewe-alex-1-1-rovers-jpt-526067.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 05, 2012, 10:23:37 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »

Started: Gary Woods; Andy Griffin, Liam Wakefield, Shelton Martis, James Husband, David Cotterill, Sammy Clingan, Josh Meade, Harry Middleton, Robbie Blake, Chris Brown
Subs used – Evan Finnegan for Husband 54 mins, Iain Hume for Cotterill 54 mins, Paul Quinn for Griffin 65 mins;
Subs not used - Jordan Ball, Jon Maxted

Thanks a lot  :)

Certainly a weakened team with a lot of youth. Seems it was a good performance/result.

Let's hope we can field a bit more experience on Saturday down at Swindon and carry on our away form.

YOOOUUUU REEEEDDDDSSSS!

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/report-crewe-alex-1-1-rovers-jpt-526067.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2012, 11:42:39 am by Scooter »
Thanks Red Baron and Donnievic! I logged on to ask the question about how the young lads performed and you have answered that for me.
Although it's disappointed not to progress in this competition the league has to be the priority and it is good to see youth have a chance.
Hopefully these young lads will follow in Husband's footsteps and become regulars rather than spending money elsewhere.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2012, 01:33:43 pm by nice one rovers »
I really hope young Harry Middleton makes the first team eventually, another Thorne/Hatfield lad doing well. Hope we don't miss his potential like we did with James Baxendale. Harry has a twin brother who's another decent player ,signed with York. We could maybe negotiate a bogof.
One for the statos, how many times have we had brothers, twins or not, playing for the rovers?

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2012, 01:49:01 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Ian and Glyn Are the first two that come to mind, other than that I can only think or Neil and Steve Roberts although I'm sure there will be more.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2012, 01:54:27 pm by wilts rover »
Steve and Dave Wignall

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2012, 01:58:34 pm by andy didcott »
keetley brothers tom, harry, joe, frank all played for the rovers  about 90 years ago tho.
(Tom 231 games, 180 goals, not bad eh!

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2012, 02:02:01 pm by nice one rovers »
Ian and Glyn Are the first two that come to mind, other than that I can only think or Neil and Steve Roberts although I'm sure there will be more.
Ian and glyn's first appearance together at belle view was my first ever time at rovers mate and me entered via the loose corrugated iron behind the loo. Feel guilty about it, but not going to make any keeganesque gestures of goodwill.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:10:57 pm by nice one rovers »

pubteam

« Reply #14 on December 05, 2012, 02:11:50 pm by pubteam »
Unless I've missed it, no-one seems to have commented on last night's performance.

I believe that all you can ask is that the team gives 100% and they did that last night. All the more creditable considering that the team included three players making their first starts and a sub who also made his first-team debut. For long periods there was only one team in it, and it wasn't Crewe. We had a dodgy ten minutes before half-time and conceded, but we kept plugging away and got the equaliser our efforts deserved. Had there been extra time, with Crewe down to 10 men, I'd have fancied our chances.

So we lost a Cup game on penalties- so what? We tried out some youngsters who weren't found wanting and I'll guarantee that Wakefield, Middleton, Meade and Finnegan will not be one-game wonders.

Special mentions to Chris Brown- who ran his blood to water leading the line and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed. To Martis, who was calm and assured in defence and to Clingan and Blake who played the role of the old heads in an inexperieced side. To hell with the result- that was a performance to be proud of.

Thanks for that report TRB. Nice to see a bit of balance and perspective on here, in contrast to some of the nonsensical bile that filled up DRFC discussion on Twitter last night.

Good to hear that the youth graduates did well. I was quite impressed with what I saw from Wakefield in pre-season, but haven't really seen the others play so it's good to hear that they held their own.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 05, 2012, 02:49:46 pm by edlored »
why did'nt micheal wood get a game?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 05, 2012, 02:55:45 pm by GazLaz »
He had the illness.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 05, 2012, 04:09:31 pm by nightporter »
Steve and Dave Wignall
Gary and David Jones.

Florida Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 05, 2012, 04:35:21 pm by Florida Rover »
Red Barron

A great insight into the match thanks for your considered thoughts they are well appreciated. Living over the other side of the pond it is great to hear views from those attending, heres hoping you can consider more such reports in the future. Once again thank you.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 05, 2012, 06:04:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We've got two lots of twins in the youth team, the Lund's and the McKay's.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 05, 2012, 07:00:32 pm by Standanista »
Glenn & Steve Humphries

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 05, 2012, 07:00:43 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Stretching a point... Matt and Joe Mills, not at the same time obviously.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 05, 2012, 07:01:59 pm by RedJ »

I thought they were cousins?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 05, 2012, 07:03:24 pm by RoversAlias »

I thought they were cousins?

Sure they're brothers. Nigh on certain in fact.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 05, 2012, 07:05:40 pm by The Red Baron »
Steve and Dave Wignall
Gary and David Jones.

Three more I can think of are the Notemans (Wayne and Kevin), the Shaws (George and Wilf) and the Lievesleys (Len and Harold).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:09:33 pm by The Red Baron »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 05, 2012, 07:10:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thought it was quite funny when Dee Dah played Saunders interview before the game last night and they discussed the problems with illness and they got on to the subject of Michael Woods.

Saunders responded by saying he told him he'd have to be patient and wait his chance...."So he's playing tonight then?" " No, he's ill."

Good to hear a balanced report and good to hear about the young uns. Having watched them earlier in the FA youth Cup, Meade, Finnegan and Middleton appeared to be the most accomplished of the bunch so good to hear they've got their feet wet in the first team.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 05, 2012, 07:15:04 pm by Filo »
Thought it was quite funny when Dee Dah played Saunders interview before the game last night and they discussed the problems with illness and they got on to the subject of Michael Woods.

Saunders responded by saying he told him he'd have to be patient and wait his chance...."So he's playing tonight then?" " No, he's ill."

Good to hear a balanced report and good to hear about the young uns. Having watched them earlier in the FA youth Cup, Meade, Finnegan and Middleton appeared to be the most accomplished of the bunch so good to hear they've got their feet wet in the first team.

It was raining last night, they need to get some Dubbin on their boots if the leather is getting soaked through! ;)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 05, 2012, 08:35:29 pm by newyankee »

Looks like we have a bright future with the youngsters we now have coming through. By the way Filo, I thought Dubbin  went out with gas lights.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 05, 2012, 09:09:59 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Loads of it on Amazon but to be honest I thought it died a death years ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dubbin&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=36899368&ref=pd_sl_3ti7hj8t8y_e
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:12:17 pm by Dagenham Rover »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 05, 2012, 09:38:38 pm by RobTheRover »
Gary and David Jones.

Is there only me that found that funny?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012