Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 02:00:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Swindon considering Administration  (Read 6741 times)

oggycompton

• Forum Member
Swindon considering Administration
« on January 17, 2013, 08:37:48 am by oggycompton »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11758/8401997/Swindon-Town-considering-administration-to-reduce-reported-13m-debts

This could be interesting, makes you realise how lucky we are to be run so well as a club. Tranmere losing and now this, ever get the feeling it could be destiny? (I hope so)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
Re: Swindon considering Administration
« Reply #1 on January 17, 2013, 09:47:29 am by bedale rover »
Can we have Gary Roberts and Andy Williams if they are going spare?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 17, 2013, 10:10:33 am by hoolahoop »
Now that is good news.  :cool:

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 17, 2013, 10:17:32 am by Drover »
Serves them right for offering G.Roberts a contract to beat ours,but obviously they could not really afford too and are not as good at running their finances as we are.We are so lucky to have such a good management/staff :scarf:

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 17, 2013, 10:22:10 am by The L J Monk »
Can we have Gary Roberts and Andy Williams if they are going spare?

Sounds like they'll need more than pennies from heaven to keep these two.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 17, 2013, 10:34:18 am by MachoMadness »
Sounds like another club who risked it all to get promoted and failed. I always wondered when this would happen given the amount they were spending on players. £13m debt is ridiculous for a club like Swindon who have spent most of their recent history in the bottom two divisions.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 17, 2013, 11:30:56 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Chairman Sir William Patey previously said: "The dream scenario is we'd be in the Championship with new investors and new owners, but there are a lot of other things that could happen too, and I do stress the money situation is extremely tight."

says it all

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 17, 2013, 11:33:58 am by Norfolk N Chance »
what about a move for Paolo Di Canio?

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 17, 2013, 11:40:08 am by oggycompton »
Alot of drama with DiCanio though isnt there Norfolk?

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2013, 12:00:10 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
What a choice of wide men though!
Cotts, Copps, Kyle and PDiCanio...

I bet he could still give most of the League 1 defenders a good game even now  ;)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 17, 2013, 12:07:56 pm by NickDRFC »

I bet he could still give most of the League 1 defenders a good game even now  ;)

I'm sure he could...if he was playing in his favoured position of centre forward. ;)

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 17, 2013, 12:19:05 pm by AbsolutDRFC »

I'm sure he could...if he was playing in his favoured position of centre forward. ;)

He wouldn't get a place ahead of Brown and Hume!!!
So I'm leaving him out on the wing to get the crowd going :)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2013, 12:29:24 pm by RobTheRover »
I hear he likes playing far right wing.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 17, 2013, 12:33:49 pm by AbsolutDRFC »

Whilst appealing for off-side with a strange gesture!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 17, 2013, 12:41:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've changed my mind about DiCanio. If he joined us, we could have this one by Sheffield's finest as the goal celebration music.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CD0QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhxsYrfKf_pc&ei=5vD3UNT4KcOM0wWA1ICwCw&usg=AFQjCNH_ibakzJOm7FqJPxG6Lu2h1xk2eQ

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 17, 2013, 12:45:42 pm by RobTheRover »

Whilst appealing for off-side with a strange gesture!

With a little bit of mud under his nose.....

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 17, 2013, 01:33:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
A couple of pre season friendlies in austria and the czech republic and wouldn't be long before we we're in the prem and champions of europe.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 17, 2013, 10:41:50 pm by DC- »
I think it's ridiculous. Spend shit loads on players to get promoted, can't hack it, go into administration AGAIN. Takes the piss out of every club out there trying to run themselves properly and out of debt.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2013, 10:46:45 pm by BobG »
I live down that way DC. The guy who bought them last time around does have a lot of dosh. The noises in the local press have been, for a fair while now, that he was bankrolling it all and that the ambition is promotion. So, all I can think now is that he's come either under financial pressure himself, or, he's just got fed up with it. Having a big debt doesn't matter if somebody else is paying for it. It's when he goes that the troubles begin.It's a bit hard to see how they owe so much actually. Better crowds than us for sure and they charge a bloody fortune to get in as well.

Cheers

BobG

old lad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 18, 2013, 08:26:49 am by old lad »
Isnt Andrew Black one of the 2 guys who set up BETFAIR?
He is on the board of a company HYDRODEC (HYR) and is heavily invested in them to the tune of approx £8million, plus he has recently given them a £5million 'loan'.
To anyone who may have a dabble in shares take a look at HYDRODEC (HYR)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 18, 2013, 01:28:27 pm by RoversAlias »
That is indeed the same man old lad.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 18, 2013, 03:37:39 pm by wing commander »
o/t HYR are a pure punt at the minute OLD LAD,They have seen sustained rises over the last few weeks on pure speculation they are about to win a contract with bp on oil reclamation...However with the price rising 60% already and with all the indicators starting to look oversold i'd be wary of a sell off on news..However like all AIM stocks if the right investment house backs them when they raise cash (which they will have too) the golden goose is there..but too risky to buy now imo......

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 18, 2013, 03:39:54 pm by wing commander »
 Back to Swindon,they did an interview on sky saying they dont owe a penny to anyone but the backers so suspect they will try and offload rather than send into administration..but this is football so anything possible...Old Di Canio had a face liked a smacked ase at the weekly press conference..lol

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 19, 2013, 11:54:03 am by DC- »
So, all I can think now is that he's come either under financial pressure himself, or, he's just got fed up with it.

Regarding the former, if the case it just proves what I'm saying. Living beyond what he knows is possible just to gain promotion. Not running the club properly. Spend now, think later.

If it's the latter, then I'm reminded of the RSPCA (or whatever it was) advert. A dog is not just for Xmas. Too many millionnaires buying clubs like gadgets, they get bored and they're off.

Neither is acceptable for me.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 19, 2013, 02:06:48 pm by The Red Baron »
I've changed my mind about DiCanio. If he joined us, we could have this one by Sheffield's finest as the goal celebration music.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CD0QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhxsYrfKf_pc&ei=5vD3UNT4KcOM0wWA1ICwCw&usg=AFQjCNH_ibakzJOm7FqJPxG6Lu2h1xk2eQ

Or this one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-uWoYs3X4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-uWoYs3X4</a>

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 19, 2013, 02:16:44 pm by wilts rover »
DC the Swindon Advertiser stories on this might help you judge a bit better. This from Wednesday:

However, the 49-year-old has never been a big football fan - with horse racing his sport of choice - and he has become something of a reluctant owner in recent months as other members of the original group which took charge of Swindon in 2008 cut their ties with the club

By his own admission, Black has not enjoyed the day to day running of Town and, after making substantial contributions to the Robins’ survival, he is preparing to step away. A proposed sale of the club in the summer fell through and Black pumped in further cash in November to lift Swindon out of embargo

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/10170169.Time_is_right_for_me_to_get_out___Black/

My summary of their situation. People made promise to Black which they then failed to deliver/were totally unrealistic, leaving him to pick up some very large bills. This has begun to affect his health and its time for someone else to do it.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 20, 2013, 11:44:03 am by DC- »
That's unfortunate, but why did he get involved in the first place if he's not a football fan? Too many people treating it like a money making business. Now I know more I do feel a bit sorry for him, but I feel more sorry for the fans who are going to be there long after any single chairman/consortium thinking a football team would be the latest gadget to have.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 20, 2013, 10:02:31 pm by BobG »
I don't know if its true or not, but he could just be helping out his local town? Or his adopted town. or the place where his head office is. Or something. That is exactly the position of at least one of our own dynamic duo. So who's to say it hasn't happened elsewhere too?

BobG

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 21, 2013, 08:16:53 am by AbsolutDRFC »
I'd rather that local businessman have control at Swindon (even if he's not that into the game), than what we're seeing at Southampton, Forest etc.
No respect for history, tradition etc; those owners.....

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 21, 2013, 08:40:14 am by GazLaz »
Black is Michael Owens partner in his racing business, betfair founder and poker player.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012