Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:45:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Current Squad  (Read 9824 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Current Squad
« Reply #30 on January 17, 2013, 05:06:16 pm by RedJ »
Haven't read all the posts so sorry if mentioned but Scunny did play a very high line with him in. Always got exposed. We play deeper.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 17, 2013, 05:47:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Haven't read all the posts so sorry if mentioned but Scunny did play a very high line with him in. Always got exposed. We play deeper.

Exactly. We know what our players are capable of and play to a way they can compete. Whoever was doing the tactics at Scunthorpe must not have understood much about football.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 17, 2013, 06:01:13 pm by wilts rover »
Who on here went to Swindon away? When they ran rings around us playing the ball on the floor and we didn't have a shot on target all game? It will be like that every week in the Championship. We need a completly new squad, Jones would be a squad player at that level, no more.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 17, 2013, 06:56:46 pm by bedale rover »
Would agree that jonesy probably wouldn't be good enough to play one division up
But if he is coaching he could still get the odd game against the more long ball orientated teams

MartinB

« Reply #34 on January 17, 2013, 07:11:24 pm by MartinB »
Who on here went to Swindon away? When they ran rings around us playing the ball on the floor and we didn't have a shot on target all game? It will be like that every week in the Championship. We need a completly new squad, Jones would be a squad player at that level, no more.
But we dew 0-0?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 17, 2013, 07:49:47 pm by andyst79 »
If Shelton Martis can play in the championship I'm dam sure Rob Jones can, could have done with him a few years earlier ,best header of a ball we've had in years and what he lacks in pace he makes up with leadership, desire and balls do for me any day. Think last season our centre halves were Hird, Lockwood, Martis & Naylor FFs!

1BillyBright

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 17, 2013, 07:54:09 pm by 1BillyBright »
But we dew 0-0?

Dew you even know what day it is?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 17, 2013, 08:01:41 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Martis couldn't and still can't, play in the Championship. Another one who's not good enough. He spends most of his time injured anyway

MartinB

« Reply #38 on January 17, 2013, 08:21:11 pm by MartinB »
But we dew 0-0?

Dew you even know what day it is?

No obviously not we drew 1-1....I do know how to spell (well sometimes ;) )there is a quote from Dean Saunders at the time from the game though:

"We've got something out of the game, when we weren't anywhere near our best. My defenders were outstanding all day."-Dean Saunders.

So Billy Know It All....over to you, football genius.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 17, 2013, 08:30:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
How anyone could think Jones would be good in the Championship having seen Billy Sharp pull his pants down at Scunthorpe away I'll never know  :suicide:

How anyone could think Billy Sharp would be good in the Championship after seeing Jason Shackell put him in his pocket at the Keepmoat in Feb 2011, I'll never know.

Funny old game int it?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 17, 2013, 08:48:16 pm by drfcsteve »
I think the only one of our current back 4 that would survive would be Spurr. As much as I'd love Jones to succeed in the Championship it is a million miles away from the cloggers and hoofers we've seen this year. Pacy skilful strikers playing the ball on the floor would cause us major problems.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 17, 2013, 09:01:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Someone like Jones, ie BIG central defender and a strong captain, is one of the things we lacked in the championship.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 17, 2013, 09:15:03 pm by GazLaz »
Slower players than jones have played centre half in the premiership.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 17, 2013, 10:10:37 pm by drfcsteve »
Compare Jones to Ward, Shackell etc, he's a legend in league one but is he honestly the same class as them two?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 17, 2013, 10:17:07 pm by MachoMadness »
I think if we stick with the organisation and have someone with a bit more pace besides him Jones would do just fine at Championship level. Honestly, apart from his lack of mobility, which we sorted by playing him deeper anyway, I'm not seeing much in the way of him being good enough to keep us in the Championship next year. Better players in front of him would help too.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 18, 2013, 12:47:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I think the only one of our current back 4 that would survive would be Spurr. As much as I'd love Jones to succeed in the Championship it is a million miles away from the cloggers and hoofers we've seen this year. Pacy skilful strikers playing the ball on the floor would cause us major problems.

And yet Sam Hird and Adam Lockwood did a job for 4 years in the Championship. You reckon Jones and McCombe are worse than them?

Which is not to say that we wouldn't need strengthening - of course we would. But the Championship is not such a massive step up. We did well in our first year there with Sam Hird playing pretty much every week. And if you are saying Jones is not good enough, then Hird were proper shit. He wouldn't get within a country mile of the first team here this year.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 18, 2013, 12:49:26 am by Norfolk N Chance »

What utter rubbish ...

Did we lose?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 18, 2013, 01:09:02 am by BobG »
No Norfolk. But they did piss all over us.

BobG

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 18, 2013, 01:23:39 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I love Rob Jones but he if he didn't make the grade a few years ago with Scunny I doubt he'd be able to next season at 33. Strikers in this division are a bit 1 dimensional, Championship strikers have a lot more about them. Love to be proven wrong though!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 18, 2013, 01:26:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
No Norfolk. But they did piss all over us.

BobG

Dunt mean owt though Bob.

It happens. Teams get out played. But the really big thing with this side is that they can hang in there when they are second best.

We dropped two points at Swindon after being outplayed. But we stopped them getting all three.

If (IF) we go up, that spirit will go a fair distance towards keeping us up. We'll need some more quality, sure. But the quality will be coming into a side with some real backbone and resilience.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 18, 2013, 02:06:05 am by BobG »
Not denying that at all Billy. Agree with it in fact. My point was made as a direct response to a stupidity uttered by Norfolk where he got his fact completely wrong.

BobG

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 18, 2013, 02:10:31 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Not denying that at all Billy. Agree with it in fact. My point was made as a direct response to a stupidity uttered by Norfolk where he got his fact completely wrong.

BobG

If you look at the stats we lose every game ???

Discuss NNC with BobG

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 18, 2013, 02:12:05 am by BobG »
Pardon? What you smoking tonight then?

BobG

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 18, 2013, 02:17:53 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Pardon? What you smoking tonight then?

BobG

Thats the game.......we soak up all the pressure and hit them when they least expect it......

Thus all stats massively against us???

We have the best shots conversion rate in league.......

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 18, 2013, 02:19:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
For me the following are more than capable of competing at Championship level,if we got there-
Gary Woods
Tommy Spurr
Paul Quinn
Rob Jones
David Syers
David Cotterill
Kyle Bennett
James Coppinger
Chris Brown
Ian Hume
James Husband
Griffin,Harper,maybe keep as squad players
NO-Paynter,McCombe,Blake,Keegan,Martis(because of injuries,not lack of ability
NOT SURE The rest of the youth players,they haven't had enough games to judge,can't judge Sinclair or Fowler for the same reasons.

We underestimate as fans at times,just how good a side we have got,yes it's not as pleasing on the eye as before,but we've got durability,sheer dogged persistence,and a touch of class here and their,plus we are still waiting to see how Kyle Bennett and James Husband develop as players,on top of that the other young players,we've got a hell of a lot to be proud of. :scarf:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 18, 2013, 02:22:05 am by Norfolk N Chance »
For me the following are more than capable of competing at Championship level,if we got there-
Gary Woods
Tommy Spurr
Paul Quinn
Rob Jones
David Syers
David Cotterill
Kyle Bennett
James Coppinger
Chris Brown
Ian Hume
James Husband
Griffin,Harper,maybe keep as squad players
NOT SURE The rest of the youth players,they haven't had enough games to judge,can't judge Sinclair or Fowler for the same reasons.

We underestimate as fans at times,just how good a side we have got,yes it's not as pleasing on the eye as before,but we've got durability,sheer dogged persistence,and a touch of class here and their,plus we are still waiting to see how Kyle Bennett and James Husband develop as players,on top of that the other young players,we've got a hell of a lot to be proud of. :scarf:

Paynter, Blake and indeed Martis very very capable of playing higher

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 18, 2013, 02:30:55 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I'm an admirer of the ability Martis has,but the injuries don't seem to clear up,though he has been available of late,but can't force his way in to the side,Blake still hasn't got in to shape from the summer,some of that due to us having a settled team,he hasn't shown me anything that says he can still do a job in the championship,Paynter is a decent striker,but he wouldn't cause that many problems at that level,for me he wouldn't get ten goals in the division above,McCombe for me,you have to pick between Jones and him,you can't play them both in that division,we would ship loads of goals,due to them both lacking pace,we would need a centre-half with good positional sense and a bit of pace,alongside Jones.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 18, 2013, 02:33:33 am by BobG »
Still don't mean Swindon didn't piss on us Norfolk. They did. We got a draw. Good. We defended well against a very good side. What's wrong with admitting it? Or don't your eyes work?

BobG

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 18, 2013, 02:37:01 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Still don't mean Swindon didn't piss on us Norfolk. They did. We got a draw. Good. We defended well against a very good side. What's wrong with admitting it? Or don't your eyes work?

BobG
"They pissed all over us" So did we under SOD means f**k all!!

Did u go Blades away??

The most one sided contest i have seen in watching football i.e. they had 100% of ball!!

Did they win .........

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 18, 2013, 02:40:10 am by MachoMadness »
Of our team, I reckon the following could definitely do a job:

Griffin (depending on how his legs and fitness hold up)
Jones
Spurr
Cotts
Copps
M Woods (why is everyone forgetting him?)
Brown

Most of the rest are maybes:
Quinn
Husband (needs time to develop but definitely will be in a few years)
McCombe (like Jones he's slow but is more prone to a rick)
Syers (has good energy but unsure about his technique in the middle of the park for the level above)
Bennett (if he gets his head out his arse once in a while)
Hume (great linkup play but not a finisher, maybe we wouldn't be able to carry him at the level above unless his finishing improves)
Paynter (struggled at that level before)

Players like Woods, Keegan, Harper would be dead wood at that level. Martis is a sick note we can't afford, if we don't know that by now we never will.

I make it that most of what we'd call first team players are either capable, or have the potential to be if they iron out a few flaws. I know it's easier said than done, which is why we'd need to make a few signings. But it does show, in my opinion, that when you break it down and look at it we're maybe better suited to the level above than people give us credit for.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012