Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:13:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rob Jones Form  (Read 3237 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Rob Jones Form
« on February 10, 2013, 02:56:31 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I think he has cost us the first two goals v Bury and Walsall?

Are we already seeing his form dip in view of his extra responsibility?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: Rob Jones Form
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2013, 03:13:44 pm by grayx »

I hope not. It is a worry though, but i think he'l be the first to realise if it effects his performance on the pitch. Im pretty sure he would step down and go back to being a player only.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2013, 03:30:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Fair point, this. I said at the time it was worrying that he might have a bit too much on his plate, I don't think it's any coincidence that our defence is a lot less organised. Hopefully with Williams coming in it will take a bit of responsibility off him.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2013, 06:15:17 pm by jonnydog »
Can't believe he missed that header after ball came back off the crossbar either

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2013, 06:32:42 pm by grayx »
Can't believe he missed that header after ball came back off the crossbar either

Nearly as bad as that Villa miss today.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2013, 09:11:30 pm by RoversAlias »
That header wasn't so easy at all. It's not like he was free in front of goal, it was to the side, he was behind a defender and came back at him fairly quickly. He's not a miracle worker.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 10, 2013, 10:46:27 pm by mjdgreg »
The problem is that he is now no longer one of the lads. He's now management. It can be a very difficult transition and most people don't make it successfully. I hope he does.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 10, 2013, 10:56:04 pm by Al4475 »
No the problem is that as good as he is, as fabulous a signing he has been and as solid as he has played all season - We are in the second half of the season and he has begun to be found out by oppo forwards recently in that his strengths are getting his body in the way at any cost but not being able to cope with small pacey strikers who are prepared to niggle at him!

Ditto McCombe and to a certain extent Quinn.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:03:08 pm by Al4475 »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2013, 11:09:59 pm by RedJ »
No the problem is that as good as he is, as fabulous a signing he has been and as solid as he has played all season - We are in the second half of the season and he has begun to be found out by oppo forwards recently in that his strengths are getting his body in the way at any cost but not being able to cope with small pacey strikers who are prepared to niggle at him!

Which to me cries out for Tommy to partner him. Has a bit of pace compared to the other options.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 10, 2013, 11:15:47 pm by mjdgreg »

Good point.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2013, 07:02:56 am by Al4475 »
REDJ

Agreed SPURR alongside either JONES or McCOMBE and Husband back out to left back! Jones has also played just about every game this season and he's hardly a spring chicken any more - maybe he's a touch tired too!

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 11, 2013, 10:23:02 am by ctay »
How did the Rob Jones day thing go?? I only saw one mask!

Ive said it all season, but McCombe is awful. Tommy at centre would be a far better option.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 11, 2013, 06:43:52 pm by Al4475 »
My father-in-law had an RJ mask, I saw Crofty in a RJ shirt and one or two other masks and that's about it!

Regarding Woods and Quinn - anyone who has the misfortune to read my posts knows that I think (and always have done) Woods has great potential - he needs to iron out a few flaws but so does every player or they wouldn't be playing for DRFC - but he is still young, and the last time (Button,and to a lesser extent Smith, aside last season) we had a regular number one quite as young was when Craig Davis and Andy Woods (I hope I've remembered their names correctly) shared the jersey out early in the Conference days and ass end of the league in the dark days!   

Woods does a lot of good stuff - and has benefitted immensely this season from a regular consistent back four helping him keep it clean!

One of which is Quinny - very different to J'OC and Marples - but nonetheless equally effective in a different way - integral to us and underrated IMO!

Good players the pair of em!

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 11, 2013, 06:46:31 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
Well i for one am happy and not surprised to hear the Rob Jones day failed miserably  :laugh:

Please don't do it at Scunthorpe away either. You've seen how shit it is now... Leave it. Embarrassing.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2013, 06:54:42 pm by IDM »

Wasn't an issue at Stevenage...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2013, 07:07:29 pm by The Red Baron »

Wasn't an issue at Stevenage...

I don't know whether we are seeing a dip in form as a result of additional responsibility or not. What I would say is that it is very different being an interim manager/ coach and having the job on a permanent basis. Stevenage was very much business as usual, but the dynamics have changed now for both Flynn and Jones.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2013, 07:09:41 pm by The Red Baron »

It was noticeable at Bury how many balls were played over the top of our defence- the aim being to turn our two big central defenders as often as possible.

Walsall posed another problem with players running from midfield- which we were unable to combat once Keegan went off.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2013, 08:27:20 pm by RobTheRover »
Well i for one am happy and not surprised to hear the Rob Jones day failed miserably  :laugh:

Please don't do it at Scunthorpe away either. You've seen how shit it is now... Leave it. Embarrassing.

It wasn't for the likes of you. I saw plenty of kids with their masks having fun.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 11, 2013, 09:09:57 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
Yep, i'm sure they had great fun.

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 11, 2013, 10:33:47 pm by DadsleyRover »
For me its midfield and we are missing Syers and Keegan going off left us a bit light. I hope Woods can get on the pitch and bolster our defense in the midfield.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 11, 2013, 10:51:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The first goal on Saturday, Jones got blocked off by a player whilst the other then had a free jump at the ball. Teams who have watched us have to get smart about combating his aerial ability and we've seen him in last few games being blocked off at our attacking corners so that he can't get a clean jump.

If Rovers were smart, they'd use something similar with Jones as a decoy whilst someone like Spurr, McCombe or Quinn came in behind with a free jump.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012