Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:08:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I think the problem is.....  (Read 4918 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: I think the problem is.....
« Reply #30 on February 11, 2013, 12:38:22 pm by dickos1 »
Nothing wrong with Keegan, exactly the type of player you need in this league.
Yes our side was a good side back then but it certainly wouldn't anhilate this side, can you not remember getting out fought numerous times that season against very poor sides such as Yeovil, Walsall, Northampton, Hartlepool etc etc,
People have a very glossy memory of that season

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 11, 2013, 12:40:54 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
It would destroy this team though, on paper... Our squad is poor this season.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 11, 2013, 12:44:14 pm by Filo »

just as well that we play on grass rather than paper!

I think a game between the two teams would be a close affair, this team would probably bully the passing team we had

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 11, 2013, 12:46:56 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

just as well that we play on grass rather than paper!

I think a game between the two teams would be a close affair, this team would probably bully the passing team we had

It'd probably be close for about 20mins, then after that the class of our last L1 squad would show through.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 11, 2013, 01:39:13 pm by MachoMadness »
Also worth remembering the large amount of money that was spent in putting that squad together, which is no longer available. I'm sure Dean and Flynn would both love to have £150,000 to go out and get a Brian Stock in centre midfield but it's just not happening unless you happen to be Bournemouth.

I agree we're not a hoofball team. We're more direct, but it's not like every ball forward is a hopeful punt. We have footballers in the squad, but the spine of the team is made up of grafters - grafters who have got us join top of the league, I might add. This team is less technically gifted than that one but far more organised and obviously a much more close-knit bunch of players. It'd be an interesting battle that's for sure.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 11, 2013, 02:07:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Some good points here.

I think the style of play under Saunders was evolving and Flynn may well be the man to take it to the next level in a fairly seamless way. I don't think we were very effective at Bury and our defence weren't as they have been but I put that down to form rather than style.

With Walsall I think the defence were still in the same mould, but otherwise from what I heard on the commentary and on here, and saw on the very brief Player vid, we were very unlucky not to win.

So, I don't go with the criticisms of the manager at all, way too early and reactive. Overall, the style we have is good and effective but does need constant development. Time will tell.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 11, 2013, 02:18:23 pm by oggycompton »
I think this side is good and the panicking and worrying that is going on is a little unfair. Ok, we lost at Bury who themselves are fighting for their lives and by all accounts (didnt go myself) we were lucky to not get something from that game and on another day could have won. We played a Walsall team who have now won 8 of their last 10 including Bournemouth who everyone is comparing us too, they are a good side. I dont see any need to panic.

As for Flynn, the guy has some incredible credentials, I think he has been unlucky with the fixture list and the break of 2 weeks has undoubtedly not helped us. When we played Leyton orient people were on here purring about the performance. He isnt helped with the fact that the only forward minded central midfielder in our side gets injured and he has to play Harper and keegan together, not a lot of pace and dynamicism there. Keegan for me is a good player, he does the ugly things that go unnoticed and that every team needs, he is a water carrier. As for Harper... not really sure what he adds if I am honest but Flynn has no other option. Maybe after his performance on Saturday Woods may get a game in there or maybe Fowler will get a start but for me it has been proven many times this season. Its Keegan or Harper together and NOT both. Bennett has been a passenger for the last 3 months but whenever he makes an error there comes the usual idiotic un-educated shouts from the stand, that will have an effect.

At the beginning of the season we would all have taken play offs, face facts. Every single team has blips, thats the way it goes, its football. We are fortunate that alot of the games recently have gone our way and we still find ourselves joint top of the table knowing a point tomorrow will take us top. Anyone would have thought that we were fighting relegation with some of the stuff on here.

The team we have now may not be as skillful as the previous incarnations but at least we have fight, guile and resillience and for me I think as a team we are much stronger with less money and there is now a belief and togetherness that is strong, but if we keep getting on their backs that will disappear.

Flynn has years and years of experience, 2 defeats on the trot doesnt make him or any of the high level professionals who have given him many plaudits bad at their jobs.

The concerning thing for me is that it seems that any team that comes and plays the ball around and plays decent on the deck football have turned us over (Walsall, Coventry), MK Dons are of a similar ilk and with Keegan and HArper in there, I fear that perhaps another poor result could be on the way.

Get behind the team and encourage for once, the negativity is a massive contributing factor and if people dont like seeing their team losing games and maybe 2 on the trot, then you should stop supporting.... it happens, teams lose.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 11, 2013, 05:12:28 pm by RedJ »
As annoying as the orignal poster can be, there is an element of truth about the hoof ball Deano introduced. Its not pretty to watch,yes it can be effective in League 1, but IF we did get promoted we would need a complete re-build.
But how many teams football their way out of this division? It was coming along before he buggered off to Wolves, and you can't deny that. He even knew we'd need a rebuild, he said something along the lines of having to build a side for the division you're in.

I seem to remember a team "footballing" their way out of this division a few years ago................. Doncaster Rovers! That team would anhilate us as we now are, we desperately need to replace keegan and Harper with some midfielders to improve.

Once again, my point wasn't that NO team does it, just VERY FEW. I know everyone who went up with us did it, and I know one or two have done since, but they're the minority.

Agree with getting rid of Harper though. He's b*llocks.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012