Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:07:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Unknown stories of Past Players and staff  (Read 1749 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Unknown stories of Past Players and staff
« on February 10, 2013, 09:30:20 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Has anybody got any previously unknown stories about past players,or staff,that have been lost,and others could be interested in?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Unknown stories of Past Players and staff
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2013, 11:52:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Have I told you the one about my mate Daz, the last man ever to be sent off at OBV?

It was in Brian Makepiece's testimonial game, which was the last game to be played at Belle Vue, the week after the Nottingham Forest game.  I think Andy Liney was asking for £100 donations to get 20 minutes playing time against a side of Rovers legends, including Snods, Brevett, Duggie, etc.  Daz asked me whether Andy would agree to him playing 45 minutes for £250, but also have a "staged" sending off so he could claim to be the last man ever to be sent off at OBV, to which Andy agreed.

On the day of the match, Daz, Snods and the ref agreed that with a couple of minutes to go Daz would "go through" John Buckley and there would be a bit of handbags and the red card would be produced.  So sure enough, Buckley got the ball skipped past one player, and Daz went clean through him.  Snods is the first over with a bit of pushing, etc, and a few others joined in.  Then the ref pulls the red card out and shows it to Daz, and he starts trudging over to the stands.  The few hundred spectators start booing the ref, and Daz turns round to for one last look at the pitch he's leaving to see Duggie going ballistic and about to start swinging punches.  No one had told Duggie what was going on and he was raging that the ref had pulled out the red.  Daz was frozen to the spot, thinking "Oh no - I've spent all that money and Duggie is going to be the last man to be sent off!".  Snods had a quick word and calmed Duggie down before it got to that.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2013, 11:59:03 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
No i've never heard the story before Rob,i always thought Duggie had a bit of the lunatic in him if pushed :laugh:,i bet your mate bought him a scotch after the game,a rampant Duggie,not a nice sight :laugh:,at least it worked for him to be the last sent off,i hope he got a picture of him getting the red card?,a story i seem to remember from one of our programmes,that Belle vue was haunted,someone saw a player in an old style striped shirt,is there any truth in it?

Hag

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 11, 2013, 12:19:42 am by Hag »
Funny that Rob, nice one  :woot:

MartinB

« Reply #4 on February 11, 2013, 12:26:49 am by MartinB »
That should go in the fanzine ad real rovers trivia! Great little story

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 11, 2013, 09:20:57 am by ctay »
love it, made me smile on a Monday morning!

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2013, 09:28:10 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
 :lol: Great story Rob

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2013, 07:00:03 pm by The Red Baron »
The story goes that when Uncle Ken was picking the team back in 1997-98 before one game he suggested to Harvey Cunningham that he should play a similar role to Arnold Palmer. It took all concerned a while to work out that he meant CARLTON Palmer!

Then again, maybe he thought that Harvey Cunningham was better at golf than he was at football.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2013, 08:09:49 pm by RobTheRover »
Probably thought he was Laurie Cunningham

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2013, 09:28:54 am by RoversDave »
Have I told you the one about my mate Daz, the last man ever to be sent off at OBV?

It was in Brian Makepiece's testimonial game, which was the last game to be played at Belle Vue, the week after the Nottingham Forest game.  I think Andy Liney was asking for £100 donations to get 20 minutes playing time against a side of Rovers legends, including Snods, Brevett, Duggie, etc.  Daz asked me whether Andy would agree to him playing 45 minutes for £250, but also have a "staged" sending off so he could claim to be the last man ever to be sent off at OBV, to which Andy agreed.

On the day of the match, Daz, Snods and the ref agreed that with a couple of minutes to go Daz would "go through" John Buckley and there would be a bit of handbags and the red card would be produced.  So sure enough, Buckley got the ball skipped past one player, and Daz went clean through him.  Snods is the first over with a bit of pushing, etc, and a few others joined in.  Then the ref pulls the red card out and shows it to Daz, and he starts trudging over to the stands.  The few hundred spectators start booing the ref, and Daz turns round to for one last look at the pitch he's leaving to see Duggie going ballistic and about to start swinging punches.  No one had told Duggie what was going on and he was raging that the ref had pulled out the red.  Daz was frozen to the spot, thinking "Oh no - I've spent all that money and Duggie is going to be the last man to be sent off!".  Snods had a quick word and calmed Duggie down before it got to that.

Here's the thug

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2013, 12:37:06 pm by RobTheRover »
Thats him.  The dirty sod.  lol

TinyPortal © 2005-2012