Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:15:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gary Woods  (Read 3198 times)

vanderpanda

• Forum Member
Gary Woods
« on February 11, 2013, 10:55:46 am by vanderpanda »
Morning all,

Due to my stupid work pattern I work most Saturdays so cant get down to the Keepmoat so I get most of my info on how people are playing on here.

I was just wondering how Gary Woods is getting on? He always seemed to get alot of hammer on here but even after the last two defeats he doesnt seem to get much of a mention. Has he settled in now or just accepting he wont be replaced etc.

Thanks

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Gary Woods
« Reply #1 on February 11, 2013, 10:56:38 am by GazLaz »
Improving.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 11, 2013, 11:18:32 am by donnievic »
I like Gary woods and think he is a great shot stopper and everyone knows is weakness is long range shots and coming and collecting the ball from crosses,deffo improved in the latter but surprised no one put blame on him for the 2nd goal on sat with being beat at the near post as earlier in the season he no don't would of done

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 11, 2013, 11:27:25 am by Filo »
I`m a critic of Woods, but I have to say if it was n`t for him on Saturday the defeat would have been much heavier, he`s improving but in my opinion he`s still got some way to go before I gain full confidence in him, but he`s going in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 11, 2013, 11:56:13 am by Standanista »
I thought he had a great game on Saturday.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 11, 2013, 12:35:14 pm by RobTheRover »
I like Gary woods and think he is a great shot stopper and everyone knows is weakness is long range shots and coming and collecting the ball from crosses,deffo improved in the latter but surprised no one put blame on him for the 2nd goal on sat with being beat at the near post as earlier in the season he no don't would of done

I'm more surprised no one has mentioned Quinn's position when Brandy got past Cotts.  Awful defending and backed off even further.  No wonder Woods didnt save it when Quinn gave Brandy the option of going either side rather than forcing him wide.  Schoolboy stuff, and my u10s side would have forced Brandy wide.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2013, 12:39:35 pm by DonnyNoel »

I'm more surprised no one has mentioned Quinn's position when Brandy got past Cotts.  Awful defending and backed off even further.  No wonder Woods didnt save it when Quinn gave Brandy the option of going either side rather than forcing him wide.  Schoolboy stuff, and my u10s side would have forced Brandy wide.

Think you mean Spurr?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2013, 12:42:01 pm by Filo »

You need a trip to specsavers Rob, it was Spur not Quinn, however your point remains valid, why was Spur showing Brandy inside?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2013, 01:11:51 pm by MachoMadness »
Still think he's awful and far too big a liability for a team chasing promotion but he wasn't at fault on Saturday.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 11, 2013, 02:01:24 pm by dijit8 »
Thought he had a decent game Saturday made two good saves prior to their second goal. Not sure he will ever be good enough for the Championship though.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2013, 02:06:54 pm by donnievic »
Only thing I can think why spurt was showing him inside his been told onto his weaker foot and going towards more players centrally but didn't work

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 11, 2013, 02:25:04 pm by oggycompton »
Impressed me every time I have seen him. Young kid who seems comfortable with the experienced Jones helping him and assisting whenever he can. No coincidence that some bigger teams have looked at him.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 11, 2013, 02:41:17 pm by nice one rovers »
Only thing I can think why spurt was showing him inside his been told onto his weaker foot and going towards more players centrally but didn't work

I've tried putting this through google translate, but it still makes no sense.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 11, 2013, 03:05:32 pm by Filo »

If that`s the case then we need to employ coach`s that know the game, why show a player thats running inside that way? surely you show him away from goal?

I can accept showing a player onto his weaker foot when out wide on the touchline but not when he`s already relativity central

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2013, 03:12:01 pm by donnievic »
well maybe it's just you as fill who we know isn't the brightest lol sorry knew what I ment

I've tried putting this through google translate, but it still makes no sense.k

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2013, 03:14:28 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
Tommy Spurt is a grate player.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2013, 03:22:29 pm by bobbymax »
Woods is much better now than at the start of the season and will do for the rest of the campaign.
On a slightly different if related topic. I'm no fan of the SPL but there are one or two bargains to be had if you look in the right place and I've been impressed with Hibs keeper Ben Williams this season. I'm sure he played against us for Crewe in the JPT semi-final but seems to have filled out since. Looks very confident and is out of contract in the summer.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2013, 03:36:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Woods was my man of the match for Saturday, made some great saves.

And Spurr's defending for Brandy's winner was criminal.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 11, 2013, 03:54:22 pm by CusworthRovers »

As said wrong player mate. Speaking of Quinn though, he's looked really good in the last 2 games. Never been his biggest fan, but he's looked good both in defence and attack. Might be something in how we're now approaching games, but Quinn has done more forward work in these last 2 games than all season.

For the OP, Woods is doing well enough for this team and made a world class save from that long range tracer bullet that went along the ground and to his right post, that he tipped round.

We've lost a bit of form from some of our key players in the last 2 games, and its hurt us badly. That said I still think we were well good enough to win both games.

On their game at the moment seems to be Browny, Copps, Keegan, Quinn and Woods. We need a few more, which WILL happen and we'll easily be the best in this league again

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 11, 2013, 04:08:11 pm by GazLaz »
It was Cotterill who should have done more to stop Brandy wasn't it?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 11, 2013, 04:12:05 pm by albie »
On the 2nd goal, in fairness to Spurr he is expecting Cotterill to get goalside of Brandy on the inside.

Cotts gets wrong side and then goes wide instead of busting a gut to get goalside cover, which is pretty poor defensive play from him. After that, Spurr is caught out by Brandy wrong footing him and getting a good shot away to Woods left.

So, mistakes all round. Cotts giving it up, Spurr showing inside, and no cover to close the gap from the left CB.

None of which was Gary Woods fault, but the first goal from a dead ball needed to be cleaned out, and either Woods with a punch or Jones with a headed challenge should prevent a clean header. Neither did, so both at fault.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 11, 2013, 04:16:17 pm by DonnyNoel »
On the 2nd goal, in fairness to Spurr he is expecting Cotterill to get goalside of Brandy on the inside.

Cotts gets wrong side and then goes wide instead of busting a gut to get goalside cover, which is pretty poor defensive play from him. After that, Spurr is caught out by Brandy wrong footing him and getting a good shot away to Woods left.

So, mistakes all round. Cotts giving it up, Spurr showing inside, and no cover to close the gap from the left CB.

None of which was Gary Woods fault, but the first goal from a dead ball needed to be cleaned out, and either Woods with a punch or Jones with a headed challenge should prevent a clean header. Neither did, so both at fault.

Jones reaction to the first goal suggested Butler had come from deep and slipped a marker who didn't track.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 11, 2013, 04:35:12 pm by Spud »
Woods is improving all the time, yes he's far from flawless but we could do a lot worse imo.
Quinn's another going the right way, had his best game yet on sat up to around the last 15, when he looked spent. Wonder if this is anything to do with whatever was wrong with McCombe, anyone heard anything more on this?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 11, 2013, 11:10:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agree Woods has improved and perhaps more than I expected him to however, he has to continue with the rate of improvement to become a more all round keeper. His spring/agility getting across the goals worries me as he doesn't seem to get very far off the ground. The goal at Bury was one where had he jumped straight up he could have palmed or punched, whereas he footwork was poor and he arched his back and couldn't reach the ball.

On a plus note, he's started come out and catch a few which always helps.

I agree about Quinn, arguably the most positive player in the two losses and even more so now, reminds me of Tim Ryan. We've got to encourage him to shoooooot. He is also linking up much better with Copps/Cotts etc. 

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 11, 2013, 11:55:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
For every 5 shots the opposition have, if the keeper keeps four out then I'm okay with that. I'm unsure whether it is Woods improving or just looking a little more confident with the defense we have. He isn't massively better than last season but we relied on our keepers heavily compared to this season where our defense is much better. But he was never going to improve at that level, when your in the position we were at the bottom of the league scrapping for points every goal conceded digs a little more into your confidence .

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 12, 2013, 08:19:10 am by Jimmydee »
Woods was my man of the match against Walsall, it would have been a more embarrassing scoreline if Woods hadn't pulled off some great saves.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 12, 2013, 06:21:49 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It was Cotterill who should have done more to stop Brandy wasn't it?

Spot on GazLaz, and it has to be said that it was Cott's behaving like a shaddow that was the main defensive failing in Bury's first last week.  I hope this is one of the 'danger signs' Mr Flynn has spotted.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012