Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:19:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When I was a lad!  (Read 22943 times)

newyankee

• VSC Member
Re: When I was a lad!
« Reply #30 on February 21, 2013, 03:08:20 am by newyankee »
Hey Scillyrover, I was at Danum at the same time as Rod Belfitt and a kid who went on to play in goal for Rovers, Roger Barrett. What years were you there, I was there from 57 to 62.

Do you also remember Mick Gallagher who was an Old Thornensian along with Eddie?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 21, 2013, 05:40:18 am by ch-ch rover »
I played for Wilby Carr against St Peters a few times some time between 66-70 there was lots of trouble and games stopped for a while also played them 68 -74 in the youth league

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 21, 2013, 09:07:09 am by roversdude »
Rover n out
Good thread mate evoked plenty of memories
Tiddysdad  - we tried getting a football team going and nearly got expelled
Our rugby coach had something to do with RFU so it was hammered into you (1978-81)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 21, 2013, 09:43:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Pope Pius? Christ, int that far reaches of poor old Rovrum?

I feel for thi.

Aye. That's what comes of being from Conisbrough and having a left-footer mother. Bloody grim it were being one of 4 Donny fans in the whole school, surrounded by Barnsley and Rotherham fans when they were slugging it out at in the old Div 2.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 21, 2013, 10:43:39 am by roversam »
Hey Scillyrover, I was at Danum at the same time as Rod Belfitt and a kid who went on to play in goal for Rovers, Roger Barrett. What years were you there, I was there from 57 to 62.

Do you also remember Mick Gallagher who was an Old Thornensian along with Eddie?
It was roger chapman who went on to play in goal for rovers, barrett also went on to play for rovers but as a striker.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 21, 2013, 10:59:46 am by roversontheup »
I played footie at Edlington Comp at the same time as Steve Reid who later went on to play for Rovers.

I didn't play in the school team because for some bizarre reason they didn't allow 11 year old girls to play in the boys team backin 1967/8!!!!

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 21, 2013, 12:41:02 pm by newyankee »
How right you are Scilly, it was Roger who was the goalkeeper. I suppose when you get this old memories get faded somewhat.

However let's try again and see if I get this right.  Rod was in Stephenson House, I think Chapman was in Dalton and Barrett in Newton, same as me. I hope I've got it right.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 21, 2013, 12:42:48 pm by RobTheRover »
I played footie at Edlington Comp at the same time as Steve Reid who later went on to play for Rovers.

I didn't play in the school team because for some bizarre reason they didn't allow 11 year old girls to play in the boys team backin 1967/8!!!!

Be thankful they gave girls an education back in those days! ;)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 21, 2013, 12:56:54 pm by JonWallsend »

I feel for thi.

Aye. That's what comes of being from Conisbrough and having a left-footer mother. Bloody grim it were being one of 4 Donny fans in the whole school, surrounded by Barnsley and Rotherham fans when they were slugging it out at in the old Div 2.

Pope Pius- that was always a guaranteed victory for the Aston Comprehensive invincibles of 81-88. We had a really good side, few lads went to clubs, Richard Brolley played for England Schools with Paul Raven, but one who went on to have best career was Carl Tiler (Barnsley, Forest etc).

We never played many of the Donny schools although I remember giving Edlo a good hiding, as they thought they were decent, and beating a Dean Barrick led Hemsworth High.

Top player from Donny at that time was a lad called Troy Bubb- played for Red Scorpions on a Sunday, signed for Millers but had loads of back problems and unfortunately had to pack in before he ever made it into the first team.

Doncaster schools were a really strong side at that time- they won the English Schools' Cup in 1985 remember they had Raven playing, Ian Wardle in goal and Bubb running the show. They battered Rotherham that year.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 21, 2013, 01:18:15 pm by danumdon »
I remember playing for St Peters a bit later on, we'd had a particularly good year and for a change and had actually won some matches in our West Ham kit(Villa were too down market)

Our illustrious PE teachers one of whom happens to now work for a certain clubs media department decided in their wisdom it would be a good idea to test ourselves against the naughty kids at Hatfield Borstal,

Very bad idea ! imagine the scene, a group of young catholic kids who's nads had barely dropped playing a match in a kids prison sorounded by the entire said establishments population all baying for your life, the team they turned out consisted  entirely of scousers who knew how to play the system, they kicked the cack out of us and nobody cared , the screws even loving it. They had to make six substitutions because we tried to stick up for ourselves and they had to be removed from the pitch before they tore us all a new one! talk about being scared and oddly excited at the same time, match ended something like 11-0 to them and we all got offered out in the changing rooms afterwards, no one bothered with the freezing cold showers we were just glad to get in the tranny mini bus and get out of the god forsaken place back to Cantley in one piece,while the locals were hooping and braying like demented cretins.

Thanks St Pete's, i loved my school.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 21, 2013, 01:23:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I feel for thi.

Pope Pius- that was always a guaranteed victory for the Aston Comprehensive invincibles of 81-88. We had a really good side, few lads went to clubs, Richard Brolley played for England Schools with Paul Raven, but one who went on to have best career was Carl Tiler (Barnsley, Forest etc).

We never played many of the Donny schools although I remember giving Edlo a good hiding, as they thought they were decent, and beating a Dean Barrick led Hemsworth High.

Top player from Donny at that time was a lad called Troy Bubb- played for Red Scorpions on a Sunday, signed for Millers but had loads of back problems and unfortunately had to pack in before he ever made it into the first team.

Doncaster schools were a really strong side at that time- they won the English Schools' Cup in 1985 remember they had Raven playing, Ian Wardle in goal and Bubb running the show. They battered Rotherham that year.

I was a few years before you. Aston was always one of the harder matches. We used to get thrapped in our early years but generally beat them in the 4th & 5th year.

One team we could never beat was Penistone. They had a pitch about 18,000 foot up on the top of a moor, and we always played them in January. The kids all looked like they ripped sheep open and curled up inside them to keep warm at night, then ate the raw entrails fro breakfast. Kicked the living shite out of us, they used to do.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 21, 2013, 01:50:01 pm by roversontheup »

Be thankful they gave girls an education back in those days! ;)
Cheeky!
Certainly got an education. Also learnt to toughen up pretty quick as a Tickhill girl in Edlo Comp.  Thank goodness I was good at sport.  Probably saved me a few beatings!

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 21, 2013, 04:13:40 pm by JonWallsend »

I feel for thi.

I was a few years before you. Aston was always one of the harder matches. We used to get thrapped in our early years but generally beat them in the 4th & 5th year.

One team we could never beat was Penistone. They had a pitch about 18,000 foot up on the top of a moor, and we always played them in January. The kids all looked like they ripped sheep open and curled up inside them to keep warm at night, then ate the raw entrails fro breakfast. Kicked the living shite out of us, they used to do.

It didn't matter when you played Penistone it was always freezing, We always struggled to beat Wath. Used to be a few tasty games around Barnsley area, Wombwell, Darton and Kirk Balk (they had a centre half with a full beard at 12, nicknamed Killer- I kept well away)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 21, 2013, 05:50:45 pm by Lesonthewest »
I was never good enough for the school team. Though my old man captained Stainforth Junction Road in the late 60's. Picture here:

He did go on to have a successful trial for Rovers but after a couple of years and never playing for the first team, Notts County cast their eye on him, playing at FB in his trial he was up against Graham Rix (I think)?? which ended his short lived career... Must have been a dirty bugger mind, broke my brothers leg a few years ago on cleggy beach going in for a tackle from behind...

Bloody ell, I remember that kit & teacher, I was a couple years later 72ish, I recognise a couple on there though.

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 21, 2013, 06:24:24 pm by JBRover »
I was never good enough for the school team. Though my old man captained Stainforth Junction Road in the late 60's. Picture here:

He did go on to have a successful trial for Rovers but after a couple of years and never playing for the first team, Notts County cast their eye on him, playing at FB in his trial he was up against Graham Rix (I think)?? which ended his short lived career... Must have been a dirty bugger mind, broke my brothers leg a few years ago on cleggy beach going in for a tackle from behind...

Bloody ell, I remember that kit & teacher, I was a couple years later 72ish, I recognise a couple on there though.

Mr Turner the teacher, never liked him myself, especially when he used to ram you in the back with the window pole in assembly if you weren't singing lol I think I've got a similar photo from either 70/71 or 71/72 season but in the red kit, it also has Mr Pow and Mr Harvey on it!  Those were the days when we won the Gundry Shield!!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 21, 2013, 06:27:24 pm by Mr1Croft »

Mr Turner the teacher, never liked him myself, especially when he used to ram you in the back with the window pole in assembly if you weren't singing lol I think I've got a similar photo from either 70/71 or 71/72 season but in the red kit, it also has Mr Pow and Mr Harvey on it!  Those were the days when we won the Gundry Shield!!

You mean this one:

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 21, 2013, 06:38:48 pm by JBRover »

You mean this one:

Haha very similar and the very same curtains ; ) but maybe the following year, those lads were the year above me.  I've got the ball on the photo I have, although there seems to be a mixture of my year and the one above on my photo.  I think that they had more than one team in those days. I will dig it out of the loft tomorrow and stick it on here.   

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 21, 2013, 07:30:05 pm by Lesonthewest »

You mean this one:

Haha very similar and the very same curtains ; ) but maybe the following year, those lads were the year above me.  I've got the ball on the photo I have, although there seems to be a mixture of my year and the one above on my photo.  I think that they had more than one team in those days. I will dig it out of the loft tomorrow and stick it on here.   

Was you the year before JBRover, the second picture were my year & I'm sure your older than me lol

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 21, 2013, 07:34:47 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Did no-one else play against Steve Lister of Kirkby Avenue, or maybe it was Sunnyfields? In retrospect, the highlight of my school footy was saving a penalty from him.

Then from Saltersgate, to Ridgewood for secondary school and some keeper from Barnburgh turns up who happened to play for South Yorkshire Boys - cue the end of my footy career  :crying:

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 21, 2013, 07:38:09 pm by JBRover »

You mean this one:

Was you the year before JBRover, the second picture were my year & I'm sure your older than me lol

I think the goalie is Gary Miller and the lad next to Jim Turner is Graham Sylvester, they were both in the year above me. Gaz Croft & Clifton Walker were in my year!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 21, 2013, 07:40:33 pm by Mr1Croft »

You mean this one:

I think the goalie is Gary Miller and the lad next to Jim Turner is Graham Sylvester, they were both in the year above me. Gaz Croft & Clifton Walker were in my year!

Gary Croft is my Uncle, im told he was good in his youth...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 21, 2013, 07:46:20 pm by Filo »
Gary was the best of the 4 of them Lee, John was a decent fullback as well.

Gaz Miller, Neil Dennison and Tony Cullen are faces I instantly recognised on the red strip photo

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 21, 2013, 07:49:07 pm by JBRover »

You mean this one:

Yeah Gaz was a good player, so was his brother Al who was my brothers age.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 21, 2013, 07:54:31 pm by Lesonthewest »
Gary was the best of the 4 of them Lee, John was a decent fullback as well.

Gaz Miller, Neil Dennison and Tony Cullen are faces I instantly recognised on the red strip photo

Neil McQue, Tim Chorlton & I think Chris Codling are amongst them aswell Filo.

odin the viking god

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 21, 2013, 08:15:34 pm by odin the viking god »
Doncaster boys 1969 unbeaten ! Thrashed Leeds 5-0 & Sheffield 2-0 only 1 problem i had the job of marking Graham Rix when we played Don Valley.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 21, 2013, 08:16:07 pm by Mr1Croft »

You mean this one:

Aye, Alan Croft is my dad and captain in the first photo (68-69).

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 21, 2013, 08:20:06 pm by drfc1951 »
Never played for secondary school team, but played for Rossington junior school in 1962.Played in Gundry Sheild and Major Clarke trophy.Iplayed for a team called Rossington Dynamoes in Donny boys league.We played against a team from Stainy that had George Simm in side, he later played at Rovers but only as a junior i think.We were coached by John Bird.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:51:43 pm by drfc1951 »

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 21, 2013, 08:31:12 pm by JBRover »
Did no-one else play against Steve Lister of Kirkby Avenue, or maybe it was Sunnyfields? In retrospect, the highlight of my school footy was saving a penalty from him.

Then from Saltersgate, to Ridgewood for secondary school and some keeper from Barnburgh turns up who happened to play for South Yorkshire Boys - cue the end of my footy career  :crying:

I played against Steve Lister when he was at Bentley School and also Steve Beaglehole, unfortunately they were both a bit to good and quick for me : (

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 21, 2013, 08:36:39 pm by JBRover »

You mean this one:

Aye, Alan Croft is my dad and captain in the first photo (68-69).

Small world init, Pete Lawson was yer Dad's age, he was a decent footballer too!  My brother Dave was in their year but could never get into the team because there were some good players that year!! They must have been mainly crap in my year hence why I got a game ; p

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 21, 2013, 08:39:39 pm by phil o sophical »
I well remember a certain Mr Laurie Sheffield coming to give us a coaching session when i was at Wheatley Hills, spent quite a bit of time teaching us how to head a ball correctly. To this day i've never forgotten what he told us. Top bloke

TinyPortal © 2005-2012