Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:02:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How many points is Woods going to cost us?  (Read 25367 times)

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
Re: How many points is Woods going to cost us?
« Reply #30 on February 23, 2013, 06:44:06 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Well, third best in the league in terms of goals against.  I'm not sure how you do that with a shit goalie.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 23, 2013, 06:48:38 pm by bedale rover »
I thought the fault lay with the defence not clearing and leaving woods with no chance to react

Generally woods has been excellent this season

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 23, 2013, 06:59:46 pm by Lesonthewest »
Not his greatest fan, but he is improving. The stick he received from a set of so called fans near me was totally uncalled for, yes he made a mistake although it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 23, 2013, 06:59:59 pm by Viking Don »
The ball went straight over everyone, noone needed to clear it, there was absolutely no pressure and he fumbles it. Sorry but that's a very bad mistake. I think most of these amazing saves people go on about are straight at him or within his reach, he's a long way from being a good keeper I'm afraid.

The fact he has to make so few saves because he's got a very good defence in front of him is why we're third best in terms of goals conceded. I think people have forgotten what a good keeper actually does, it's been so long since we've had one behind a good defence.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 23, 2013, 07:03:00 pm by graingrover »
not only ignorant of the obvious qualities of a good young goalkeeper but demonstrating a lack of commitment to our club with such a  ridiculous post. Can you imagine having to live around people like that.

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 23, 2013, 07:09:03 pm by mattco »
It was a stupid mistake, no doubt about it, but every goalkeeper makes them at some time.  I think he has saved us from defeat a few times this season.  He let in one goal, we missed 2 sitters and were denied a clean-cut penalty.  But so were they and they also missed an open goal when our defence let their player through.  On balance we should have won - their defence was panicking at times in the second half and we really showed commitment and a desire to get 3 points.  with Hume and Syers back I am sure things will work out.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 23, 2013, 07:17:34 pm by Albert Trousers »
Sorry, but Woods is shit. That's the long and short of it. He seems to be costing us every few weeks, and every few weeks we hear the same tired old arguments that he's "improving all the time" from the apologists. If he's improved so much why are we still talking about him every few weeks? He's given us a mountain to climb today and let the team down yet again, and it won't be the last time he does this season. Everyone makes mistakes, yes, but you can't just keep saying that as a cover-all excuse every few weeks. You have to draw a line somewhere and for Woods that time has long passed.

He IS our biggest liability and he's always likely to give a goal away. No excuses for fumbling that one today. But no, obviously Woods is great and all these people criticising him are just moaning for no reason and whenever he flaps at a cross or doesn't get behind a shot properly it's not his fault. It's telling that people defending Woods always just attack the poster instead of trying to think up a counter-argument.

It's doubly annoying today because the team has played very well and deserved a win, but Woods gave us a mountain to climb from 5 minutes in.

muppet.  he has vastly improved this season.

He has but he is still not good enough, anyone that thinks he is League 1 level is kidding himself. Saunders was looking to replace him & I cannot believe it is not  priority position for us,he will never make a decent keeper.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 23, 2013, 07:23:17 pm by Albert Trousers »
The ball went straight over everyone, noone needed to clear it, there was absolutely no pressure and he fumbles it. Sorry but that's a very bad mistake. I think most of these amazing saves people go on about are straight at him or within his reach, he's a long way from being a good keeper I'm afraid.

The fact he has to make so few saves because he's got a very good defence in front of him is why we're third best in terms of goals conceded. I think people have forgotten what a good keeper actually does, it's been so long since we've had one behind a good defence.

Spot on, with a half decent keeper we would be a dozen points clear in my opinion, Give Maxted a shot he can't possibly install less confidence in the back 4.

THE FANS WERE CHEERING WHEN HE CAUGHT A BACKPASS FFS

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 23, 2013, 07:24:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Ahhh, so people have found their next scapegoat.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 23, 2013, 07:29:46 pm by Albert Trousers »
Ahhh, so people have found their next scapegoat.
No, he has always been shit.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 23, 2013, 07:32:55 pm by MiKA »
Ahh I've got it now, Albert Trousers is Sully in disguise     :laugh:

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 23, 2013, 07:37:58 pm by Albert Trousers »
Maybe I'm Weaver's fat neighbour in disguise? 
Although I would prefer Sullivan if I'm honest.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 23, 2013, 07:46:11 pm by MachoMadness »
Viking Don has it spot on. The defence has made things a lot easier for him. He's always had decent reflexes so he can make these snap saves when the ball is straight at him but apart from Swindon away (which I didn't go to but everyone says he played well) I'm struggling to think of a time I've seen him make a really great save, one that any keeper couldn't have made, to keep us in a game. Thanks to the defence most of his saves have been fairly routine this season. That would be alright if he wasn't such a liability with the basic stuff, but he's always likely to fumble something simple as we saw today, and have seen too many times to count this season, when luckily we're not always punished by it. Our success this season is despite him, not because of him.

People have been saying this for 2 years so it's hardly scapegoating. Sooner or later you have to put your foot down and say fair enough everybody makes mistakes, but as a professional if you can't do the basic stuff for (let's be generous) say 5 games in a row without some monumental cockup then you're going to come in for a bit of stick. He's a grown man, doing a job, with professional responsibilities FFS, people are going on like he's some 9 year old being picked on in a playground. I'm sure he can take it.

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 23, 2013, 07:47:18 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Hate to say it but we have a lot of complete idiots for fans. Ironic cheering everytime Woods got ball and boo's when Bennett came on. Just no need for it

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 23, 2013, 07:51:32 pm by RedJ »
On the defence thing, Casillas would look w**k due to the amount of pressure and the amount of shots he'd be peppered with behind a shit defence so for me that's a non-starter.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 23, 2013, 07:55:52 pm by Albert Trousers »
I don't agree with booing players or ironic cheering etc but people pay good money these days & so each to their own,I'm too long in the tooth now other than to shake my head moan into my half time beer & whinge on here!!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 23, 2013, 08:05:02 pm by Viking Don »
I agree, I don't show my displeasure with any players during a game as it won't help them, but this forum is for Rovers fans to discuss the games and players so I feel it's OK to say what you think without being abused by people who disagree. I won't abuse anyone on here who thinks Woods is a great young keeper, I'll just disagree.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 23, 2013, 08:16:35 pm by Surrey Rover »
Andy Rhodes played for DRFC between 1985-1988 when he was 21-24. Now he was a good young goalkeeper!

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 23, 2013, 08:30:59 pm by Albert Trousers »
Andy Rhodes played for DRFC between 1985-1988 when he was 21-24. Now he was a good young goalkeeper!
Always remember a game at Bolton's old ground when his shoulder popped out & he had it put back & made some great saves. Quality keeper.

Slimneil

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 23, 2013, 09:08:03 pm by Slimneil »
2 male fans behind me never stopped shouting abuse at woods and any other player that made a mistake slating every one though out the game , then when hayter went down in our box shouted abuse at him for a few minutes then unbelevably stood and sang at top off there voices "there is only one James hayter " as he was taken off could not believe how they could be so two faced ??

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 23, 2013, 09:15:38 pm by dickos1 »

Spot on, with a half decent keeper we would be a dozen points clear in my opinion, Give Maxted a shot he can't possibly install less confidence in the back 4.

THE FANS WERE CHEERING WHEN HE CAUGHT A BACKPASS FFS

That's has nothing to do with the ability of woods more to do with the lack of ability people show at being a supporter.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 23, 2013, 09:18:24 pm by dickos1 »
He kept us in the game at Crawley, along with many other games this season.
One mistake and everyone's on the bandwagon again.
Someone please state all these goals he's cost us cause I can't think of many,

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 23, 2013, 09:39:39 pm by Superspy »
2 male fans behind me never stopped shouting abuse at woods and any other player that made a mistake slating every one though out the game , then when hayter went down in our box shouted abuse at him for a few minutes then unbelevably stood and sang at top off there voices "there is only one James hayter " as he was taken off could not believe how they could be so two faced ??

Do you sit to the left of the goal close to the stairway? I think you might be talking about the absolute penis who was sat next to me. I spent the entire second half wishing he'd just shut up.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 23, 2013, 09:58:44 pm by grayx »
I admit to being one of the first to say we needed a new keeper,if not to replace,but at least to compete with Woods.
I still feel that is the case, but Woods has done better than I thought so far this season , so to slate him after todays cock up is harsh.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 23, 2013, 10:17:05 pm by andysly »
The lad made a howler, but Jones and Paynter missed sitters, similar effect -1 goal. Move on chaps.

Slimneil

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 23, 2013, 10:22:40 pm by Slimneil »

Do you sit to the left of the goal close to the stairway? I think you might be talking about the absolute penis who was sat next to me. I spent the entire second half wishing he'd just shut up.

Yes I guess I would be I'm sure I was not the only one who they pissed off !!! What I don't understand is yes woods f**ked up and I'm sure he nows it but how can it help when people spend the rest of the game slating and shouting abuse at him what good does that do ? Imagine been at your place of work and making a mistake and having everyone telling you your shit and shouting negatives at you for the rest of your shift what does that do for your confidence ??? Only my opinion but winds me up as we all want the best for our team

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 23, 2013, 10:31:47 pm by Viking Don »
I dunno, if you're a proper player then any kind of abuse should make you wanna show em you're not worth their wrath and start performing. Like has been said, we're not dealing with ten year kids in a playground here, this is a serious profession where mistakes are punished and taken the piss out of.

Wow, isn't life hard as a professional footballer? Get a f***ing helmet and stop moaning or go get a job serving in McDonald's FFS,

Apparently....

The free kick was played to the far post where Woods, seeing it late because of the mass of bodies in front of him dived and parried the ball back into play.

Haha, bollox, he f***ed up, it was an easy take and he fumbled it. Make whatever excuses you like, I can't think of any other recent Rovers keeper who'd have f***ed up such a simple cross. My twelve year old would have caught it and booted it upfield.

Tell me the amazing saves please.  Don't get uptight, I understand it's a hard question. Just justify your belief in what I call a reserve keeper.

I'd rather get a good keeper on loan than a striker now Hume is back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:06:22 pm by Viking Don »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 23, 2013, 11:21:30 pm by BobG »
Not getting drawn into this one - but I will remind folk that plenty of other Rovers keepers, including Easy for Dennis especially, have made some right effing howlers down the years. Dennis was a master at it. So was Kim Book too from time to time. Yet funnily enough, they were both actually pretty fair keepers.

BobG

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 23, 2013, 11:40:34 pm by Viking Don »
Honestly Bob, I'm just a bit pissed off with seeing him make mistakes now. He may be a good keeper one day, but it isn't now. Will he ever be a good keeper? I'm not sure. I have yet to see him make an amazing save. I saw plenty of those in our recent history, even going back to yer fave AW.

Jeez I just want him to stop letting in soft goals, then to start trying to save shots that aren't straight at him.

Is that really too much to ask of a goalkeeper?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 23, 2013, 11:42:36 pm by dickos1 »
I dunno, if you're a proper player then any kind of abuse should make you wanna show em you're not worth their wrath and start performing. Like has been said, we're not dealing with ten year kids in a playground here, this is a serious profession where mistakes are punished and taken the piss out of.

Wow, isn't life hard as a professional footballer? Get a f***ing helmet and stop moaning or go get a job serving in McDonald's FFS,

Apparently....

The free kick was played to the far post where Woods, seeing it late because of the mass of bodies in front of him dived and parried the ball back into play.

Haha, bollox, he f***ed up, it was an easy take and he fumbled it. Make whatever excuses you like, I can't think of any other recent Rovers keeper who'd have f***ed up such a simple cross. My twelve year old would have caught it and booted it upfield.

Tell me the amazing saves please.  Don't get uptight, I understand it's a hard question. Just justify your belief in what I call a reserve keeper.

I'd rather get a good keeper on loan than a striker now Hume is back.

Tell me all the goals and points he's cost us this season, the goal today was a mistake, but the ball shouldn't have reached him in the first place
The fact is there isn't many goals he's cost us, think about it there just isn't.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012