Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 11:56:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How many points is Woods going to cost us?  (Read 25366 times)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
Re: How many points is Woods going to cost us?
« Reply #60 on February 23, 2013, 11:53:29 pm by Viking Don »
Why shouldn't the ball have reached him? It went over everyone and it was easy to collect, are you seriously defending uselessness?

As for telling you how many points etc.....I can't be bothered mate, you really wanna see all those mistakes over and over again? Have you got Rovers Player?

The point is a good (yes GOOD) keeper will give you ten points a year, according to someone who knows far more than you and I put together.

How many point has Woods won/lost us this season, tot em up.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 23, 2013, 11:57:18 pm by StocktonRover »
Thats ridiculous Viking - he has made numerous excellent saves when the defence has let the opposition through - but its his job to make the saves.
when he does make a mistake (as he did today), it invariably results in conceding a goal.

I dare say he has mede fewer mistakes than many other players which have gone largely un-noticed because they haven't resulted in goals (probably because Woods has saved them).

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 23, 2013, 11:59:19 pm by Viking Don »
Tell me the 'excellent' saves, and I'll point out to you everyday saves made by every goalkeeper in this and lower leagues.

You may make a better point if you can tell me who made such a howler as Woods did today.....

Keep searching.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:02:25 am by Viking Don »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 24, 2013, 12:02:04 am by dickos1 »
It shouldn't have reached him cause the defence should've cleared have a look who jones is having a pop at after it went in and it ain't woods.
Thing is don he hasn't made loads of mistakes this season that's why you can't be bothered to look mate, cause there isn't many.
And he's gained us at least ten points this season easily, I don't need player, I've been to the games.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on February 24, 2013, 12:03:13 am by StocktonRover »
Its easy to say "tell me" - its usually because you a) cant be arsed to provide your own evidence or b) because your claims are not supported by evidence.

You do the work and when you have the evidence (if in deed it exists) come back and tell us.

I suspect that Woods has saved us far more point than he has cost us this season - but as I said previously that his job.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 24, 2013, 12:05:05 am by Viking Don »
I was there Dickos, it went over everyone and was a simple catch. Make every excuse yer want, I want him to do well too but that was shit and it's happened before.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 24, 2013, 12:06:07 am by Viking Don »
Its easy to say "tell me" - its usually because you a) cant be arsed to provide your own evidence or b) because your claims are not supported by evidence.

You do the work and when you have the evidence (if in deed it exists) come back and tell us.

I suspect that Woods has saved us far more point than he has cost us this season - but as I said previously that his job.

Even easier to say, tell me tell me aint it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on February 24, 2013, 12:07:34 am by dickos1 »
Colchester, sheff utd, Hartlepool, tranmere, brentford, Portsmouth, Swindon, Colchester, mk dons are all games where he's contributed to getting the points and in the majority of these games it's been plainly down to him.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 24, 2013, 12:08:32 am by StocktonRover »

Even easier to say, tell me tell me aint it.

or even tell me, tell me tell me.

Its you who is making the claim - either support it with evidence or dont pedal it as fact.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on February 24, 2013, 12:13:00 am by Viking Don »
Who's peddling it as fact? Is there any facts about football? Get a grip FFS, I'm giving my opinion on a pretty meaningless Rovers Forum.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 24, 2013, 12:14:47 am by donnievic »
2 male fans behind me never stopped shouting abuse at woods and any other player that made a mistake slating every one though out the game , then when hayter went down in our box shouted abuse at him for a few minutes then unbelevably stood and sang at top off there voices "there is only one James hayter " as he was taken off could not believe how they could be so two faced ??
was you at back of south stand???

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on February 24, 2013, 12:16:35 am by Viking Don »
I really hope Gary Woods starts making some good saves, cos my Italian blood means he'll make a friend of mines daughter very happy ha

Itsamine itsamine well f***ing well have it then
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:18:43 am by Viking Don »

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on February 24, 2013, 12:18:25 am by StocktonRover »
Who's peddling it as fact? Is there any facts about football? Get a grip FFS, I'm giving my opinion on a pretty meaningless Rovers Forum.
Whats your opinion on the mistake Jones made when he let the Yeovil defender past him, woods came out and narrowed the angle and the attacker put it just wide - is Jones worthy of the same criticism?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 24, 2013, 12:21:54 am by donnievic »
2 male fans behind me never stopped shouting abuse at woods and any other player that made a mistake slating every one though out the game , then when hayter went down in our box shouted abuse at him for a few minutes then unbelevably stood and sang at top off there voices "there is only one James hayter " as he was taken off could not believe how they could be so two faced ??

Do you sit to the left of the goal close to the stairway? I think you might be talking about the absolute penis who was sat next to me. I spent the entire second half wishing he'd just shut up.
no doubt it is same idiots dire

behind me,complete tools all game

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on February 24, 2013, 12:24:53 am by Viking Don »
I think you must be talking about Gavin Williams chance.

I'm not sure it's worth saying but...

If an outfield player makes a mistake, nine times out of ten they get away with it and it results in a goal.

If a goalkeeper makes a mistake, three times out of ten they get away with it and it results in a goal.

(stats from 2008 season)

Bad news for keepers.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 24, 2013, 12:26:42 am by MachoMadness »
I'll have a go at naming a few, just off the top of my head. But I see where Viking Don is coming from, if you blame the goal today on the defence then what's the point in listing them when you probably won't accept them anyway? I know people will say I'm just whinging and keeping on at him, and to be honest I'm over it now (until next time) but people have asked when he's cost us this season, so this is just a response to that.

Anyway:
Today
v Bury, letting one in direct from a corner
v Oldham (I think it was, the one where it's a hard shot but straight at him and it goes through his hands)
a couple v Cov
v Bournemouth - distinctly remembering this one
I believe one of them v Crewe
a couple v Preston at home

That's literally 15 seconds of thinking, can't be arsed to dig through old match reports and I don't have Rovers Player, but I'm not even counting the amount of times he's flapped, fumbled or otherwise misread the play. Once v Carlisle (I think), he misjudged the flight of the ball and it almost bounced over him into the net. Fumbling tame crosses to strikers' feet v Notts County. Poor positioning leading to goals against Preston and Coventry and probably more I'm missing. Point is, he is far too much of a liability and without wanting to single him out too much he is certainly a weak link in our starting XI, always likely to undo all the hard work the outfield players put in as he has done today.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on February 24, 2013, 12:27:02 am by StocktonRover »
I think you must be talking about Gavin Williams chance.

I'm not sure it's worth saying but...

If an outfield player makes a mistake, nine times out of ten they get away with it and it results in a goal.

If a goalkeeper makes a mistake, three times out of ten they get away with it and it results in a goal.

(stats from 2008 season)

Bad news for keepers.

Exactly - so why berate a keeper for making a mistake when other players get away with it because the said keeper bails them out.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on February 24, 2013, 12:29:55 am by Viking Don »
Don't make me laugh, bail them out?

Watch the games.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 24, 2013, 12:36:01 am by dickos1 »
I'll have a go at naming a few, just off the top of my head. But I see where Viking Don is coming from, if you blame the goal today on the defence then what's the point in listing them when you probably won't accept them anyway? I know people will say I'm just whinging and keeping on at him, and to be honest I'm over it now (until next time) but people have asked when he's cost us this season, so this is just a response to that.

Anyway:
Today
v Bury, letting one in direct from a corner
v Oldham (I think it was, the one where it's a hard shot but straight at him and it goes through his hands)
a couple v Cov
v Bournemouth - distinctly remembering this one
I believe one of them v Crewe
a couple v Preston at home

That's literally 15 seconds of thinking, can't be arsed to dig through old match reports and I don't have Rovers Player, but I'm not even counting the amount of times he's flapped, fumbled or otherwise misread the play. Once v Carlisle (I think), he misjudged the flight of the ball and it almost bounced over him into the net. Fumbling tame crosses to strikers' feet v Notts County. Poor positioning leading to goals against Preston and Coventry and probably more I'm missing. Point is, he is far too much of a liability and without wanting to single him out too much he is certainly a weak link in our starting XI, always likely to undo all the hard work the outfield players put in as he has done today.

Every goalkeeper in the league will have goals going in that they could've done better with.
Look at joe hart recently,
It's what comes with being a goalie,
The fact is he's cost us goals but he's also saved us in all the games I've just mentioned.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on February 24, 2013, 12:36:35 am by StocktonRover »
Opinions eh!-  we will have to disagree on that one. He has bailed our defence out many many times - and before you ask I'm not going to provide you with examples.

I do watch the games but not with a pre determined view on who will be the scapegoat.

I go and watch Rovers and prefer to dwell on the positives of which there were many today.

Enjoy your mission.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on February 24, 2013, 12:45:35 am by BobG »
Yup. He should have caught it.

It's a tough question this one. We want/need a goalie who is master of his trade today. Hence the criticism. What we've got is a guy who is improving, makes some good saves and drops some clangers. he might end up being a really worthwhile guy to have around - but for today, is he that yet?

We've talked about the importance of this season. We all know what it means. we all also know we don't score enough. So, we need to concede very few. So, for today's demands, I'm afraid I have to agree with VD: he's not the right guy.

Though he might be one day soon.

Cheers

BobG

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on February 24, 2013, 12:47:55 am by Viking Don »
Opinions eh!-  we will have to disagree on that one. He has bailed our defence out many many times - and before you ask I'm not going to provide you with examples.

I do watch the games but not with a pre determined view on who will be the scapegoat.

I go and watch Rovers and prefer to dwell on the positives of which there were many today.

Enjoy your mission.

Wow how fortunate you are not to have a pre determined view on our players , it must be such so much fun to have such a goldfish memory.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on February 24, 2013, 12:51:07 am by StocktonRover »

Enjoy your mission.

Wow how fortunate you are not to have a pre determined view on our players , it must be such so much fun to have such a goldfish memory.

No- its called being open minded - try it.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 24, 2013, 12:53:42 am by MachoMadness »
It's not just that he could've done better, in my opinion many of them could and should be avoided by professional footballers, at least they shouldn't be happening that many times. I know Sully was pretty much nailed on for maybe 2 absolute howlers a season, it comes with the territory, but not every 5-6 weeks or so. It's not just that he makes mistakes, it's that he makes them with such regularity. Believe me I'm not going there hoping he cocks up so I've got summat to moan about on here - I like watching everyone play well and helping us win - but the fact is he drops these clangers and if I was playing in front of him I wouldn't be best pleased knowing I could play out of my skin only for Woodsy to flap at one and undo all that.

I don't want to be seen to be going on about him, I've said my bit so I'll leave it there for now, I really hope he does improve but the harsh reality is he needs to, and bloody quickly.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on February 24, 2013, 12:54:01 am by Viking Don »

Enjoy your mission.

No- its called being open minded - try it.

Seriously I don't think you even know what that means....

But no loss, get on trying.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 24, 2013, 02:31:24 am by Scooter »
Why do we always abuse our own players? Gary Woods has made good progress this season and he is still young. Yes he made a mistake which fell typically to their top scorer. But he made only one mistake. Last year that would have led to two or three more.

Why aren't we slating the mistakes made by other players?

- Paynter heading against the bar when it looked easier to score
- Jones heading over when he should have scored
- coppinger's creative attempt at an overhead kick. He had all the time in the world. He could have controlled it and scored easily - surely
- Hume's inability to stay onside at crucial times
- Cotterill's inconsistencies
 - Lundstram giving the ball away
- Keegan's foul on the edge of the area when he was booked
- McCombe's tendency to put the ball into the stands

These aren't negatives - I was very impressed with today's performance and we should have won today. It was 100% improvement on Crawley. Every player has flaws during every game. These above are my personal opinion as no doubt others will have seen the game differently.
We had a good result against our bogey team who are in form yet people are slating the goalkeeper?

Get behind the team. One point off top spot. Still in the title hunt, yet still people moan?

:headbang:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 24, 2013, 02:33:31 am by RedJ »
Why do we always abuse our own players? Gary Woods has made good progress this season and he is still young. Yes he made a mistake which fell typically to their top scorer. But he made only one mistake. Last year that would have led to two or three more.

- coppinger's creative attempt at an overhead kick. He had all the time in the world. He could have controlled it and scored easily - surely

These aren't negatives - I was very impressed with today's performance and we should have won today. It was 100% improvement on Crawley. Every player has flaws during every game. These above are my personal opinion as no doubt others will have seen the game differently.
We had a good result against our bogey team who are in form yet people are slating the goalkeeper?

Get behind the team. One point off top spot. Still in the title hunt, yet still people moan?

Note - Coppinger was offside anyway according to the West Stand lino.

Mind, wouldn't trust him as far as he could see..

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on February 24, 2013, 02:40:56 am by Viking Don »

s is.

Yeah moan about how others moan about how how shit we are.....

then moan....
ACE
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:48:34 am by Viking Don »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on February 24, 2013, 08:54:01 am by dickos1 »
Macho of all the examples you listed then maybe today and Bournemouth could be described as howlers.
What about the saves at Hartlepool, Colchester, sheff united, against brentford, Crawley and Colchester again. He's won us more points this season than he's cost us

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on February 24, 2013, 09:09:41 am by The Red Baron »
He was at fault on their goal, but I can't see how he's "cost us points" in yesterday's game. We had plenty of chances to win that game as well as not being given a stonewall penalty. Too easy to blame a 'keeper who really did only one thing wrong all game.

Having watched Woods for some time now I think his problems stem from his foot movement- or lack of it. He seems to be on his heels a lot of the time and that was the problem for their goal. As a result he pushed the ball away rather than getting any force behind it and allowed it to stand up easily for them to score. Contrast that with the save their keeper made when he powered into the ball and knocked it away from danger. Surely if I can see this, the coaching staff can see it? I'm sure it is something that could be improved, because in other respects Woods is quite a decent 'keeper.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012