Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:24:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Not looking good.....  (Read 6238 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Not looking good.....
« on February 24, 2013, 03:28:05 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
....for Wolves at the moment.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21489656

...Question is, will we be playing a Division above 'em best season? Or locking horns with 'em in League One?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Not looking good.....
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2013, 03:39:17 pm by dknward2 »
Notice cassidy isn't on the bench

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2013, 03:46:56 pm by MachoMadness »
I doubt Wolves will be wanting to loan anybody out with the situation they're in at the moment. They're really in freefall and Deano will want as many options as he can get to help turn it round.

Really though, if they haven't turned it round by now with those players and with a new manager, how are they going to do it? Reckon they're doomed myself.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2013, 03:55:26 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
I'd suggest that The Championship is simply a level higher that Mr Saunders' capabilities.

Two relegations in two seasons will not look at all good on his CV.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2013, 03:56:35 pm by grayx »
I think theyre doomed.
That was a too bigger job for Deano at this time.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2013, 04:04:44 pm by MachoMadness »
To be fair, it's more like two relegations in two half-seasons of taking over clubs that are being run like a joke behind the scenes. Deano can say that when he had the chance to build his own team it was going very well.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2013, 04:21:24 pm by Alickismyhero »
The big game for Deano is the 16th March when Wolves play Bristol City. City have made up at least 7 points on Wolves recently when everyone thought that  relegation was a foregone conclusion.

Why Deano decided to move when he was still learning his trade at 1st Division level smacks of running before you can walk. Instead of having a promotion on his record its looking like another relegation from the Championship.

I don't think we have benefited from this special relationship yet perhaps BF can ask Deano for Jake Cassidy on loan or is the relationship just one sided?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 24, 2013, 04:24:03 pm by RedJ »
If the players don't give a f**k, then they're not going to play for whoever's in charge.

I'd have loved to have seen what he'd have done with us if he'd took us back up.

Come on Dean, you said you wanted to help, put your words into action like you have done before.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2013, 04:53:27 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Next 5 games

Watford (H)
Millwall (A)
Nottm Forest (A)
Bristol City (H)
Middlesbrough (H)

Fear for them i really do, then again DS is our past and BF is our future

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2013, 04:55:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »
They were in the same position before Saunders went. Saunders can't be blamed entirely for that. The club needs a complete clear out.

They should easily get back up next season though.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2013, 04:58:03 pm by mushRTID »
Looks I'm the only one who thinks they will stay up then. They have some good players, once they get that 1st win they will be fine.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2013, 05:04:52 pm by Alickismyhero »
Having listen to part of the Wolves game today and read the report Deano got his tactics wrong in the first half allowing Cardiff to take control. In the second half he did change things around and Wolves improved.

I got the impression its not that the players don't care Deano's big problem is that his team is lacking in confidence and he has to change that. As for a clear out I don't go along with that I think Deano's job is to work with what he has got. Surely that is the mark of a good manager.

Everybody says that in the Championship anyone can beat anyone its just that Deano's team can't at the moment.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 24, 2013, 05:50:59 pm by dickos1 »
It's not deans team though is it? I think he's only brought 2 players in. They've struggled all season.
I think they will give him the chance to build his own team as he's proven that he knows how to build a good side.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 24, 2013, 06:23:26 pm by Alickismyhero »
Of course its not his team and he may well succeed in avoiding the drop but when it comes to the effectiveness of a manager it is based on what he can do with the resources he has right now.

Deano  knew what he had to work with when it took the job. His mandate is to stay up and then he can put his big list of players he wants in to action.

Personally I don't think he will be successful in the Championship but had he stayed at Donny he would have proved he could have been successful in the 1st division had he finished the job.

The Championship is one hell of a difficult league.

In the last interview I heard him mention the dreaded four letter word "Sack" He's under a lot of pressure right now and just like BF we will see the quality of the man when things are not going as you would like!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 24, 2013, 06:35:28 pm by dickos1 »
Well we know what you think alick we know you don't rate him. There's a long way to go yet and he could quite easily stay up, sod has the same mandate

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 24, 2013, 06:42:39 pm by RoversAlias »
To be fair, it's more like two relegations in two half-seasons of taking over clubs that are being run like a joke behind the scenes. Deano can say that when he had the chance to build his own team it was going very well.

September to May is not half a season I'm afraid.

Saunders needs to turn it around quickly at Wolves and prove he has got what it takes or it may be a very long road back to the second tier for him as a manager.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 24, 2013, 06:47:39 pm by MachoMadness »
September to May is not half a season I'm afraid.

Saunders needs to turn it around quickly at Wolves and prove he has got what it takes or it may be a very long road back to the second tier for him as a manager.

That's fair enough. But my point still stands that behind the scenes we were a shambles at that time. Saunders proved he was a very astute manager once things settled down and he got to build his own team. Maybe a great manager would be able to deal with all that, whereas Saunders is merely a very good one.

Maybe they know something we don't at Wolves and think they're doomed anyway, so brought him in to clear everyone out and build from scratch from League 1 based on the job he did here. There's obviously something rotten at the core of that club, like there was at Saints and Norwich, who both went down and then rocketed straight back up into the PL once they'd sorted themselves out in L1 and got a bit of momentum.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 24, 2013, 06:51:28 pm by RedJ »
Of course its not his team and he may well succeed in avoiding the drop but when it comes to the effectiveness of a manager it is based on what he can do with the resources he has right now.

Deano  knew what he had to work with when it took the job. His mandate is to stay up and then he can put his big list of players he wants in to action.

Personally I don't think he will be successful in the Championship but had he stayed at Donny he would have proved he could have been successful in the 1st division had he finished the job.

The Championship is one hell of a difficult league.

In the last interview I heard him mention the dreaded four letter word "Sack" He's under a lot of pressure right now and just like BF we will see the quality of the man when things are not going as you would like!

Let me ask you - will you take this attitude towards your hero if Bristol go down?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 24, 2013, 07:07:27 pm by Standanista »
Maybe they saw what he did with us and needed the same treatment, ergo, turn a team in freefall from the Championship into promotion contenders from League 1 the next, with reduced wage bill.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 24, 2013, 07:35:01 pm by Alickismyhero »
Please note I never mentioned him but seeing as you have brought it up I will give my opinion.

I stand by what I said in that a managers effectiveness will be judged by what he can do with the resources he has right now. To put it succinctly "He must do better than the last manager with the same players"

I think you are quite right in comparing  Deano and Sean. Sean knew what he was taking over and Bristol City were in a very poor position not having won a game this year, seven points adrift. Deano was in a much better position with Wolves when he took over, I think you will agree.

So yes I will judge them fairly by the same criteria. Failure and the sack goes with a managers job in football and no one is excused.

I think Sean will finish higher in the league than Deano and my main reason for saying that is that Sean gains the respect and motivates players. I don't think Deano has the same ability mainly due to lack of experience. As I pointed out earlier Deano proved he could be effective in the 1st division and the Conference, if only he completed the job, but the Championship is a different kettle of fish.

I have no doubt that you will remind me if that is not the case.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 24, 2013, 07:42:46 pm by dickos1 »
What rubbish, of course Saunders gains respect from the players. Ask any of our side now.
How many games did it take sod to show he could succeed at that level?
I think Saunders main strength is motivation not sure you could say the same about sod.
Can't believe people still want this discussion when neither are now our manager.
Crazy

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 24, 2013, 07:46:41 pm by RedJ »
To be fair I'm partly to blame for bringing him up in the first place, but if we're applying criteria to one ex manager who was hated by a fair few to see if he's a success or not, it's only fair we do the same for one who was hero-worshipped and still is.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 24, 2013, 07:59:52 pm by ScillyRover »
One thing is for sure, their fans have really got their knives out for Deano.
The Wolves forums are laden with criticisms to put it mildly. I admire Deano for being ambitious and he plainly has a lot of self belief in his ability to manage.
However, as TWD says, his cv is going to look pretty unconvincing for any prospective future employer if they get relegated and he loses his job.
If Wolves continue their current form I'll be surprised if he lasts the rest of the season.
Deano obviously has some qualities borne out by the way he turned Rovers around but he's very inexperienced as managers go and the question still remains if he really has it in his locker to be successful in the long term. Like one of the above posters remarked, we will never know what he might have achieved had he stayed.
I personally think he's that sort of character who through determination and the will to learn will eventually bring success to a club but at what cost for the clubs he manages in the meantime while gaining that managerial knowledge and experience ?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 24, 2013, 08:04:20 pm by Alickismyhero »
Dickos,

Its not as rubbish as you may think. If you could get Copps on his own with no witnesses you would get his honest opinion of Deano. Obviously the players cannot make their views known publicly for obvious reasons.

If you look back you will see that I never brought the subject up but only replied to a comment.

Its a forum and provided the comments/topics are respectful there should be no topic banned.

Scilly,

I fully concur with your comments.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 24, 2013, 08:30:48 pm by dickos1 »
Have you had copps on his own with no witnesses?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 24, 2013, 08:55:59 pm by Alickismyhero »
Dickos,

I think you already know that not only Copps and the rest of the old boys would say if allowed. If I was to say yes then you would want proof and it goes on, it would get silly.

Now compare fairly what I have said about Deano with those on the Wolves forum. Lack of experience being the big criticism just what I said really.

Silly made a good point in pointing  out the views on Deano. I tried hard to find any positive comments for him and didn't find one. Now you can't say that for either BF or Sean there is always a positive argument for for them as there is now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an example from their forum:

These players are dreadful, but Dean's inability to set the team up to play to any kind of strengths that some of them possess is leading to confusion, a (further) loss of confidence and downright amateurism. (Guess the team for the next game!) Our players are running scared. Frightened to make mistakes and unable to confidently transfer what Saunders (allegedly) gets from them on the training ground, to where it really matters. Surely there must be someone out there that can get (some of) these players really believing in themselves and playing decent football again.

So, how long will Morgan's patience last?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this poster is not aggressive and rude he  is one of the polite ones.

Deano is good at talking the talk but the only way he can turn it around now is with a string of wins and he could do it, footballs a funny old game, is it not?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 24, 2013, 09:03:22 pm by RedJ »
They've been playing the way the poster described long before Saunders came in.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 24, 2013, 09:09:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
It may be in two seasons a manager takes two clubs down (but they were not his players). On the other hand another manager may have coached and could manager two clubs away from relegation (but they were not his players) lets wait and see what happens.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 24, 2013, 09:16:43 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Dickos,

I think you already know that not only Copps and the rest of the old boys would say if allowed. If I was to say yes then you would want proof and it goes on, it would get silly.

Now compare fairly what I have said about Deano with those on the Wolves forum. Lack of experience being the big criticism just what I said really.

Silly made a good point in pointing  out the views on Deano. I tried hard to find any positive comments for him and didn't find one. Now you can't say that for either BF or Sean there is always a positive argument for for them as there is now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an example from their forum:

These players are dreadful, but Dean's inability to set the team up to play to any kind of strengths that some of them possess is leading to confusion, a (further) loss of confidence and downright amateurism. (Guess the team for the next game!) Our players are running scared. Frightened to make mistakes and unable to confidently transfer what Saunders (allegedly) gets from them on the training ground, to where it really matters. Surely there must be someone out there that can get (some of) these players really believing in themselves and playing decent football again.
So, how long will Morgan's patience last?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this poster is not aggressive and rude he  is one of the polite ones.

Deano is good at talking the talk but the only way he can turn it around now is with a string of wins and he could do it, footballs a funny old game, is it not?

Actually that is remarkably similar to what was being said on here

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 24, 2013, 09:20:47 pm by Alickismyhero »
RJ,

They may well have played like that before Deano got there but the point of him getting the managers job was to change the way they play to a more successful way.

It would be pointless appointing him and expecting  more of the same which they are getting and  their forum is upset about right now.

I will be the first to say that if Deano gets 3 /4 wins on the trot, he is the best manger in the world, thats football.

Steve I think we agree on that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012