Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:50:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: MK Dons vs Rovers  (Read 30157 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: MK Dons vs Rovers
« Reply #120 on March 05, 2013, 08:48:48 pm by RoversAlias »
Play Maxted on Saturday. Anyone who defends Woods after what, the 4th (or 5th!?) error in 3 weeks needs their mental state evaluating. What planet are we on to persist with this clown!?

I have said it many times before that it is a team game - how many times have our strikers missed a sitter, how many times have our midfield not prevented an attack and how many times have our defenders not defended well enough. You have to blame the team not just one individual

COYR

:scarf:

A goalkeeper is charged with having to make less errors than the rest of the team due to the nature of the role. His position is the last line of defence, we can excuse the occasional mistake but when a goalkeeper is dropping the ball in the net costing us goals 4 times in a 4 week spell he is playing in the wrong position. It is as simple as that. I'm not blaming him for a bad team performance or whatever, I am blaming him for costing us goals with his errors which I feel I've every right to do.

But are you blaming the strikers for missing a goal - no you are not, the best way to win games is scoring goals, if the strikers don't do that we wont win. But no one blames them when they miss and we do not win - we jump on the blame the goalkeeper band wagon

COYR

I know what you're saying, I do. I don't give the striker's a free pass when they miss opportunities. And I nor anyone else criticising Woods here is saying he is solely to blame for why we aren't winning or why we aren't playing well etc. But I don't think it is sound logic to dismiss his errors by saying "well what about all our other failings." When talking purely about his performance he cannot be defended. A goalkeeper shouldn't be costing us goals and points at the rate he is. One or two errors every now and then you can excuse, but it is becoming an increasing problem for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on March 05, 2013, 08:49:15 pm by glosterred »
Play Maxted on Saturday. Anyone who defends Woods after what, the 4th (or 5th!?) error in 3 weeks needs their mental state evaluating. What planet are we on to persist with this clown!?

I have said it many times before that it is a team game - how many times have our strikers missed a sitter, how many times have our midfield not prevented an attack and how many times have our defenders not defended well enough. You have to blame the team not just one individual

COYR

Enough glosterred ........there are no more excuses for this. Yes it is a 'teamgame' and he shouldn't be in it. PERIOD.

Come then who do you play - Woods, Maxted or get Sullivan back from loan. I remember a season or two ago people on here were demanding that Woods played because Sullivan was to old and no longer good enough - people have got what they wanted.

Bringing in a new keeper, great, but we have had to ship lots of players out before the season started due to budget cuts. We have got what we can afford.

I still say it is a team game and we should be blaming the rest of the team for no shots, no shots on target and no corners yet. Team game

COYR

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on March 05, 2013, 08:49:49 pm by RedJ »
Tis only half time but the way the game has gone is entirely down to our own making. Cannot see the point of selecting a midfield player who has proven not to be up to the job.

There were another of other options that Flynn could have used including starting with Paynter and playing Hume in an advanced midfield role instead of Paynter. 

If he insisted we needed another holding midfielder, he could have played Griffin however tactically that would invite them on and, on they have come. The same formation as Saturday would have helped us to keep them more occupied. The back four are capable of protecting themselves without a nodding donkey playing on their toes and getting in everyone's way. Feel sorry for Lundstarm who the commentators are saying is having to do Harper's share of the work.

I'll resist making any judgement about the goal but second half we need a change immediately otherwise we'll be 2 down before you know it.

At least Griffin can hold onto the ball and play a pass.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on March 05, 2013, 08:51:00 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
This is now a massive test of Flynns abilities - if he hasn't sorted the tactics and players, I seriously worry for us for the rest of the season.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on March 05, 2013, 08:51:14 pm by Standanista »
It's been pretty much constant pressure on defence 45 mins. If midfield claim their wages first half they're thieves. Defence has done good but dyke was gonna be breached eventually. Woods hesitant and error prone, was never a good save first time off post, was his bad positioning in first place and he never knew where ball was till he woke up cuddling it. Ditto his dropped catch followed by three yard punch, then spill for goal.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on March 05, 2013, 08:51:41 pm by RedJ »
Jones off. Oh for f**ks sake.

pubteam

« Reply #126 on March 05, 2013, 08:51:49 pm by pubteam »
Jones off injured. Griffin on at LB, Spurr CB.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on March 05, 2013, 08:52:00 pm by MachoMadness »

But are you blaming the strikers for missing a goal - no you are not, the best way to win games is scoring goals, if the strikers don't do that we wont win. But no one blames them when they miss and we do not win - we jump on the blame the goalkeeper band wagon

COYR

Goalkeepers get punished more for mistakes. Makes it all the more important that you have a reliable one, doesn't it? You can't compare Woods to a striker missing a chance, at all. Just because his job is less forgiving doesn't mean we should overcompensate and never blame him for anything when he clearly isn't good enough. We haven't played well but that doesn't mean we should tolerate Woods not doing his job properly, yet again.

Oh, and "what about everyone else being rubbish" is not an valid argument for why you think Woods is a good keeper.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on March 05, 2013, 08:52:44 pm by drfcsteve »
Maxted is even worse than Woods....

Based on what?

Take it you didn't go to any games preseason. Trust me, Woods is the best of the 3 keepers we've got on our books, which says all you need to know about our goalkeeping situation.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on March 05, 2013, 08:53:05 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Jeez! Jones off - should then have moved Spurr to centre back and Husband to left and brought on Paynter and dropped Copps back a bit.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on March 05, 2013, 08:53:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Now we are f**cked. Jones off, Spurr to CH and Griffin to full back. Joker still on.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on March 05, 2013, 08:53:35 pm by MrFrost »
Whats up with Jones?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on March 05, 2013, 08:54:03 pm by glosterred »

COYR

Goalkeepers get punished more for mistakes. Makes it all the more important that you have a reliable one, doesn't it? You can't compare Woods to a striker missing a chance, at all. Just because his job is less forgiving doesn't mean we should overcompensate and never blame him for anything when he clearly isn't good enough. We haven't played well but that doesn't mean we should tolerate Woods not doing his job properly, yet again.

Oh, and "what about everyone else being rubbish" is not an valid argument for why you think Woods is a good keeper.

Same keeper all season and top of the league - yet we complain

COYR

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on March 05, 2013, 08:54:24 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Take it you didn't go to any games preseason. Trust me, Woods is the best of the 3 keepers we've got on our books, which says all you need to know about our goalkeeping situation.
Seen him on a couple of youth games on player and Chelsea TV, and saw him at Exeter. Very impressed with him.

pubteam

« Reply #134 on March 05, 2013, 08:54:27 pm by pubteam »
Maxted is even worse than Woods....

Based on what?

I saw Maxted at Rotherham in pre-season and thought he did okay.

I don't think pre-season is a very good indicator though. Rob Jones kept scoring OG's in pre-season and Martin Woods scored in almost every friendly.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on March 05, 2013, 08:56:30 pm by RoversAlias »

COYR

COYR

Sorry gloster but that is a great example of something papering over the cracks. Our league position and the ability of outfield players are not good defences of Woods' individual ability.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on March 05, 2013, 08:57:35 pm by glosterred »

COYR

COYR

Sorry gloster but that is a great example of something papering over the cracks. Our league position and the ability of outfield players are not good defences of Woods' individual ability.

And how many saves has he made to keep us in games - no one is mentioning that

COYR

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on March 05, 2013, 08:58:17 pm by Standanista »
Better, taking it to em

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on March 05, 2013, 08:58:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Well a negative substitution for me, Husband back to left back Copps on wing and Paynter on would have been the positive move.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on March 05, 2013, 08:58:47 pm by MachoMadness »

COYR

Top of the league despite him. The defence has left him with very little to do most games and he still contrives to lob it in every chance he gets. I just don't know how many more times we're going to have this before the end of the season. Or are you not a proper supporter unless you mindlessly happy clap everyone even after countless cock ups?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on March 05, 2013, 08:59:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Trust me, Woods is the best of the 3 keepers

I bet Lee Butler could give him a run for his money even though he's 'retired'.

Sounds a bit better second half so far. 

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on March 05, 2013, 08:59:28 pm by Standanista »
Let down twice in two attacks by final ball, but better this half

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on March 05, 2013, 09:00:05 pm by glosterred »
I support the whole team (11 players plus subs) not 10 and have a go at the keeper at every opportunity

COYR

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on March 05, 2013, 09:01:01 pm by Viking Don »

COYR

COYR

COYR

[/quote

COYR

COYR

COYR

Well why don't you mention it then Glos and tell us?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on March 05, 2013, 09:02:53 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Bag a shite

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on March 05, 2013, 09:03:06 pm by Akinfenwa »
No excuse for Woods' recent circus act, shit team performance today or not. I'd bet even teams near the bottom of the league wouldn't put up with carrying such a liability in a single position for as long as we have.

It's a team game yes, yet one bloke isn't up to the job. A good keeper can dig you out when you're having a bad game, all the good teams have one. How many times have we seen opposition keepers look almost impossible to beat at the KM when we've dominated, yet rarely happens the other way around? Well guess what, we're not unlucky, that is what a competent L1 keeper is capable of.

How often have we seen an opposition keeper make a mistake in our favour that some think is acceptable of Gary Woods on a semi-regular basis? Doesn't happen very often at all, maybe once a season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on March 05, 2013, 09:03:22 pm by RoversAlias »
I support the whole team (11 players plus subs) not 10 and have a go at the keeper at every opportunity

COYR

I do support the team. That doesn't extend to blind worship of every single person at the football club. I call people on their mistakes and would expect anyone to do the same of me. Someone on here the other day brought up the point about mindless happy-clappers and I'm starting to see what they were on about.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on March 05, 2013, 09:03:44 pm by RedJ »
Hume's coming off apparently. Lost this. On to the next then..

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on March 05, 2013, 09:04:03 pm by Metalmicky »
Come on boys........ we can do this

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on March 05, 2013, 09:04:11 pm by glosterred »

COYR

COYR

COYR

[/quote

COYR

COYR

COYR

Well why don't you mention it then Glos and tell us?

Countless times and you all know it but are just happy to have someone to have a go at - Woods is the new Lewis Guy

COYR

TinyPortal © 2005-2012