Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:23:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gary Woods  (Read 9085 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Gary Woods
« on March 17, 2013, 06:34:52 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I thought he was a bag of nerves yesterday.

I do question his mental strength as once he makes a mistake he carrys the mental scars for rest of the game.

I was amazed at Sullivan not starting yesterday.

What do others think? Dont you think it also transmits to the defence and team in general.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Gary Woods
« Reply #1 on March 17, 2013, 06:35:51 pm by pubteam »
I was disappointed that Flynn chose to drop Sullivan. A safe, experienced pair of hands is exactly what we need for the run-in.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 17, 2013, 06:41:30 pm by glosterred »
And here we go again - lets have a go at Gary Woods - not at fault for the goal yesterday but still we have a go.

Give him a break

COYR

P.S. Remember its a team game and in my opinion he had a better game than Cotterill did, who has been poor for quite some time now and no one has a go at him!

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 17, 2013, 06:55:11 pm by drfc1951 »
He got some shocking backpasses from the defenders yesterday, and the pitch didnt help when he was trying to clear them.

Mattwak3

« Reply #4 on March 17, 2013, 06:56:32 pm by Mattwak3 »
Don't think he looked nervous at all. Came out and caught crosses.
Only problem was the amount of backpasses that he had to deal with on the bobbly pitch

pubteam

« Reply #5 on March 17, 2013, 07:03:32 pm by pubteam »
And here we go again - lets have a go at Gary Woods - not at fault for the goal yesterday but still we have a go.

Give him a break

COYR

P.S. Remember its a team game and in my opinion he had a better game than Cotterill did, who has been poor for quite some time now and no one has a go at him!

Cotterill assisted the goal. Same as he does most weeks.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 17, 2013, 07:08:48 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Give him a break

COYR

Of course Cotts did.....NOT...... two wonderful crosses which should have resulted in two goals and a constant threat.

We should have been winning 3 nil by time we conceded, two terrible misses by Paytner and Brown.

Woods nearly cost us with an incredible sequence near the end.

He should use his common sense and stop the ball and then hit it instead of swinging a leg at it all the time.....

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 17, 2013, 07:23:29 pm by donnyallday »
didnt he also drop another too, lucky no one was near to stab it home

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 17, 2013, 07:24:48 pm by donnievic »
I thought he was a bag of nerves yesterday.

I do question his mental strength as once he makes a mistake he carrys the mental scars for rest of the game.

I was amazed at Sullivan not starting yesterday.

What do others think?
Dont you think it also transmits to the defence and team in general.
More than likely because Flynn sees him as his number 1

Also on Cotterrill yes he set the goal up and put one or two good crosses in but like the woods haters say when he saves a shot (thats what he is paid to do)well its same with cotts but yesterday like a few other games he also neshed out a few challengers and done little else during the game but as long as he puts one half decent cross in that we score from then its ok
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:30:35 pm by donnievic »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 17, 2013, 07:26:01 pm by MachoMadness »
Don't think he did much wrong yesterday, but then again he didn't really have all that much to do apart from deal with backpasses, as usual. Sullivan was great at Bournemouth though so I don't see why we dropped him. Agree Sullivan should have started as I think he's a better keeper but for once we couldn't really blame Woods for the dropped points.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 17, 2013, 07:28:04 pm by andyst79 »
The back passes he received were horrendous almost suicidal to play them back on that pitch. Spilled a simple catch at 1 point & to be honest a traffic cone would be more use in goal

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 17, 2013, 08:18:37 pm by RobTheRover »
Don't think he looked nervous at all. Came out and caught crosses.
Only problem was the amount of backpasses that he had to deal with on the bobbly pitch

Spot on, and yet the defence carried on giving him them to deal with.  After shinning 3 of them that bobbled right as he kicked them you'd have thought we would have got wise to that.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 17, 2013, 08:18:58 pm by roversdude »
Thought that between them McCombe and Woods looked at odds with one another, some of the back passes woods got were ridiculous and can't have helped his nerves

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 17, 2013, 08:30:35 pm by donnievic »
Yeah for me the only mistake he did was the shot he spilt and regathered in the 2nd half but glad others also saw the poor back passes

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 17, 2013, 08:38:16 pm by River Don »
I tell you what will not do Gary any good. These sort of conversions.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 17, 2013, 08:47:56 pm by ditch_drfc »
I was disappointed that we have Sullivan in the team. He's shit. Get off wood's back for once. He was fine yesterday, if our players would stop constantly passing it back to him because they're too shit scared to play the ball forward he'd be fine.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 17, 2013, 08:49:20 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I  tend to think it was a confidence reason that he wasn't dropped,  get out there at home and get on with it,  a bit like a car crash ...get straight back in and get on with it............now if he had dropped one so to to speak he could well have been dropped good and proper with his confidence totally shot at Donny.

We used to berate Stuart Nelson but he went on in fine form away from here

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 17, 2013, 09:53:49 pm by podrover73 »
I was disappointed that we have Sullivan in the team. He's shit. Get off wood's back for once. He was fine yesterday, if our players would stop constantly passing it back to him because they're too shit scared to play the ball forward he'd be fine.

Obviously you did not go to Bournemouth -Sullivan outstanding.
If he was shit he would not have had 20 years in the game and at the top level too - reality check Mr Ditch

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 17, 2013, 10:03:05 pm by roversam »

Obviously you did not go to Bournemouth -Sullivan outstanding.
If he was shit he would not have had 20 years in the game and at the top level too - reality check Mr Ditch
Here here PR, cant believe he called Sully shit, if he is shit what is calamity Woods, when will the Woods lovers on here realise he just isnt good enough yet, and in my opinion never will be at this level.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 17, 2013, 10:40:32 pm by ditch_drfc »
Davids is still playing football... He's now shit. Because someone has spent years in a job it doesn't mean they are good at it...

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 17, 2013, 10:43:08 pm by roversam »
Davids is still playing football... He's now shit. Because someone has spent years in a job it doesn't mean they are good at it...
Ryan Giggs Brad Friedel, how shit are they.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 17, 2013, 11:02:08 pm by MiKA »
I thought Woodsy did fine yesterday, a lot better than I'd expect actually due to our own fans constantly on his back.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 17, 2013, 11:07:07 pm by roversam »
I thought Woodsy did fine yesterday, a lot better than I'd expect actually due to our own fans constantly on his back.
what did he do fine as you put it, he had nowt to do, if Woods had been in their goal we would have won 3 or 4-1.

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 17, 2013, 11:22:09 pm by MR A-Z »
I also felt he was a bag of nerves! I think experience is the most vital part of a goalkeepers game. I would have preferred Sullivan as the confidence and organisation skills just make the spine of a great team. I often feel keepers get bad press for howlers when the rb or lb don't get slaughtered for blocking a routine cross that the keeper drops or the unnecessary pressure a poor back pass puts on the keeper. I think ATM he needs an arm around him from Flynn if he can reach or Sullivan and reassure him that he has saved us quite a few times and kick on. I read something not so long ago about David James seeing a psychologist and he went through scenarios of what could happen in the game beforehand, and he got a recall to the England squad I'm sure woods would benefit from a bit of metal strength in these tough times.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 18, 2013, 12:23:09 am by MachoMadness »

Age shouldn't be a barrier if you're the best man for the job. Also, playing in centre midfield is very different to playing in goal. The two aren't even comparable.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 18, 2013, 12:50:23 am by Sammy Chung was King »

SULLIVAN    V     WOODS   Marks Out of ten   

6                         8                        SHOT STOPPING 
       5                         8                            MOBILITY ROUND BOX
       8                         6                                    CROSSES
       9                         7                                           COMMUNICATION
       7                         6                                                  MISTAKES   
       7                         9                                                             REFLEXES
       9                         6                                                                         CONFIDENCE 
       10                       5                                                                                  EXPERIENCE

TOTAL 61                   57

I did this expecting Woods to come out on top,but Sully wins it,i've tried to be as fair as possible,not letting personal preferences in,sully has the edge!!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 18, 2013, 08:14:51 am by DonnyOsmond »
what did he do fine as you put it, he had nowt to do, if Woods had been in their goal we would have won 3 or 4-1.

So if Woods was in their goal we would have magically created more chances? We had like 2 chances the whole game. Give over, don't make if as if their goalkeeper made save after save.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 18, 2013, 08:32:24 am by roversam »
Did you actually go to the game Gary

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 18, 2013, 09:11:56 am by ditch_drfc »
I can't actually believe how everyone is slating Woods! It's our shit performance that threw away the win. If our players felt like getting into space and creating chances then maybe we'd have won. But we didn't, they didn't get into space, they didn't create many chances, they never looked at who wanted the ball. Cotterill was on the wing most of the game in space wanting the ball, how many times did he get it?
How many times was the ball passed backwards to Woods under too much pressure, forcing him to slice the ball? We need to stop passing back to Woods, we do it more than any other team i've ever seen!

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 18, 2013, 09:32:44 am by roversam »
I can't actually believe how everyone is slating Woods! It's our shit performance that threw away the win. If our players felt like getting into space and creating chances then maybe we'd have won. But we didn't, they didn't get into space, they didn't create many chances, they never looked at who wanted the ball. Cotterill was on the wing most of the game in space wanting the ball, how many times did he get it?
How many times was the ball passed backwards to Woods under too much pressure, forcing him to slice the ball? We need to stop passing back to Woods, we do it more than any other team i've ever seen!
Hang on, arent you the one that stated earlier that Sully is shit, that one statement tells me that you know f**k all about football IMO.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012