Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sean O'Driscoll  (Read 38216 times)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Re: Sean O'Driscoll
« Reply #120 on March 27, 2013, 02:09:09 pm by drfc1951 »
Should this be locked now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Florida Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on March 27, 2013, 02:44:38 pm by Florida Rover »
Yes enough is enough

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on March 27, 2013, 03:16:11 pm by Filo »
I think it`s a legitimate discussion as to why some other party is so passionate about commenting on certain aspects of an article in an Irish newspaper, it`s also given an opportunity to the people that can`t let go to open up old wounds, that`s the sad thing about it all

As a supporter all I want is what`s best for my club, not ex playing or managerial staff, they come and go, it`s the nature of football, they know that when they take these positions on, often well paid as well. For SOD or his mouthpiece to bleat about how unfairly he was treated smacks of hypocrisy when you look at how a trialist was treated just before he got the sack i.e Rowan Vine, on trial all pre season right up to days before the season started, given all the signals that a contract would be offered and then dumped with little time to sort himself another club, hardly fair on the lad was it, unpaid all pre season and then left without employment at the drop of a hat, it works both ways!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on March 27, 2013, 04:42:38 pm by Chris »
I think it`s a legitimate discussion as to why some other party is so passionate about commenting on certain aspects of an article in an Irish newspaper, it`s also given an opportunity to the people that can`t let go to open up old wounds, that`s the sad thing about it all

As a supporter all I want is what`s best for my club, not ex playing or managerial staff, they come and go, it`s the nature of football, they know that when they take these positions on, often well paid as well. For SOD or his mouthpiece to bleat about how unfairly he was treated smacks of hypocrisy when you look at how a trialist was treated just before he got the sack i.e Rowan Vine, on trial all pre season right up to days before the season started, given all the signals that a contract would be offered and then dumped with little time to sort himself another club, hardly fair on the lad was it, unpaid all pre season and then left without employment at the drop of a hat, it works both ways!

Rowan Vine was being paid by QPR as he was contracted to them.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on March 27, 2013, 04:43:36 pm by Filo »

Rowan Vine was being paid by QPR as he was contracted to them.

OK I stand corrected, but my point still stands, he was led a merry dance all summer to be discarded at the last minute
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:48:49 pm by Filo »

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on March 27, 2013, 04:48:31 pm by CusworthRovers »
Having loads of players trialling in the off season is a trait of every club and manager. Vine was one of many that we never took on for whatever reason. Loads of managers do that and its all part of looking at players and trying to improve the squad. Infact that was the summer when we had Juan Sheet trialling and he looked good at that Sheff Utd friendly at the lane, but he's long gone just like Monsieur Dao. He looked a right monster

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on March 27, 2013, 05:16:56 pm by RoversAlias »
You sound like Roawn Vine's mum or something, Filo. Sometimes players go on trial at clubs and aren't taken on, that's part and parcel of the game. SOD and I assume the coaching staff deemed him not up to playing for us in the Championship. Pretty cut and dry really, and hardly a reason to have a go at O'Driscoll.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on March 27, 2013, 05:22:41 pm by Mr1Croft »
John Ryan gave a pretty reasonable answer regarding Rowan Vine at the VSC AGM that year if I remember correctly.

As it is SOD has finally had his say since what happened, its been over a year now and over 100 posts later on this thread alone and everyone seems to have had their say. Everyone has their opinions and all that  debating on this subject does is end with us going in circles and opening old wounds.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on March 27, 2013, 05:23:51 pm by Filo »
You sound like Roawn Vine's mum or something, Filo. Sometimes players go on trial at clubs and aren't taken on, that's part and parcel of the game. SOD and I assume the coaching staff deemed him not up to playing for us in the Championship. Pretty cut and dry really, and hardly a reason to have a go at O'Driscoll.

You`re missing my point completely, I`m not having a go. What I`m saying is if you`re going to bleat about how you were treated at least treat people the same as you would like to be treated. To reinterpret one of your sentences, Sometimes managers get sacked at clubs and the parting of the ways is sometimes not pleasant, that's part and parcel of the game.

and here`s another one of your sentences re jigged

The Board deemed him not up to managing for us in the Championship anymore. Pretty cut and dry really
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:27:50 pm by Filo »

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on March 27, 2013, 06:05:07 pm by CusworthRovers »
The Board deemed him not up to managing for us in the Championship anymore. Pretty cut and dry really

I vowed not to do this.....curses on you all

I'll see that quote with the thousands that Mr DRFC (JR) rightfully gave us of Sean being the best thing ever and the one man who can help us achieve anything, best football ,best team assembled by a manager, best manager, here for the long haul, job for life, a righteous man honorable, noble etc etc and so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure myself that John (and he knows best), was right in all that. John's not daft and John was saying these comments right up to the days before Sean left.

Sean is the bestest ever. I would have him back tomorrow. We will NEVER see that era again in my lifetime. What he did was nothing short of miraculous in his tenure.

Sean is now gone. Flynny is our King. Flynny is ace. Flynny is a reptile. Let's get behind him and the team, like we are all now doing to be fair

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on March 27, 2013, 06:06:11 pm by Alickismyhero »
Filo's past comments

I`m sure I`ve heard a poster mention a Karenza on here before, if I`m not mistaken it may have been you Alickismyhero, it`s Sean`s partner is n`t it?
------------------------------------------------------
The fans will always be divided when there`s some folk unwilling to let go of the past and blindly follow the faith, it`s like having Jehovahs Witness knocking on your door preaching to you every month!
-----------------------------------------------------
Karenza is hardly impartial in all this, I`m surprised you appear or give the impression that you don`t know who Karenza is Alick, given that you claim to know and talk to SOD on a regular basis
-----------------------------------------------------
OK I stand corrected, but my point still stands, he was led a merry dance all summer to be discarded at the last minute
--------------------------------------------------------
The Board deemed him not up to managing for us in the Championship any more. Pretty cut and dry really .

----------------------------------------------------------

Filo I can see from the comments above that sometimes you are wrong and you admit and that says a lot about you.

I don't know the connection with Karenza and Sean and I don't think it is that important. I have had my say and most other posters have had theirs.

There is always two sides to a story and now we know both, discussed it fully and as many posters have said its time to move on.

When I have contact with Sean it is purely on a friendly basis and is never on a contraversial topics.
As I have always said he is a man I have a great deal of respect for nothing more nothing less.

It is time we moved on so I will contact you by PM to clear up any points you need clearing up.
Regards,
Alickismyhero

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on March 27, 2013, 06:16:04 pm by VivaRovers »
The beauty of Twitter is that it is interactive...

...so instead of nosing around Karenza's LinkedIn profile and online bio and forming your own conspiracy theory about her involvement/motives/reasoning/thoughts etc. why not just go on twitter and ask her who she is? None of the amaterur sleuths on here seem to have tried this route yet.

Sean's interview piece offers the other side of the coin to everything that was put out by the club at the time. Given that myself and others were suggesting that this was the case back then, I don't see why Sean himself finally putting it out there should irk so many people.

Regardless of the reasoning for Sean's dismissal (which is a separate argument that has been done to death), the manner in which his dismissal was handled was shoddy and amateurish. Thankfully it appears the club have learnt from this and restructured and moved on.

Given that 'the other side' (aka Rovers) pretty much held sway on how events were reported in September 2011, I think Sean has every right to put his point across now. And given all that he achieved with Rovers I think that allowing Sean to have his say - or folk connected to him for that matter - is the the least supporters can afford him without getting het up and theorising about motives.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on March 27, 2013, 06:44:29 pm by wilts rover »
Viva - Sean's interview piece also contradicts what Sean said at the time of his leaving, ie the LMA statement I posted earlier in the thread. I repeat the pertinent points now:

19 Jan 2012
LMA STATEMENT ISSUED REGARDING SEAN O’DRISCOLL

The LMA has issued the following statement on behalf of Sean O’Driscoll regarding his departure from Doncaster Rovers Football Club on 23rd September 2011.

The LMA is pleased to announce that all issues regarding Sean’s departure have been satisfactorily resolved and he now looks forward to the new challenge in his career.

Sean O’Driscoll said:

“Naturally, I was disappointed that my time as employee of Doncaster Rovers was brought to an end in September 2011.  However, I am extremely proud of what was achieved during my 5 years in charge.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all the players, my staff who worked so hard to bring success on the field and also to the supporters, many of whom have contacted me in a really positive way since I left.  I wish them and the Club every success for the future.”

John Ryan, chairman of Doncaster Rovers said:

“Doncaster Rovers are also pleased that we have agreed terms with Sean.  Although the board decided a change was necessary we fully recognise Sean’s undoubted qualities as a manager, which is precisely why we appointed him in the first place.  During his 5 years at the helm Sean made an enormous contribution to the success and wellbeing of the Club and we enjoyed some fantastic times.  The Club and all those connected with it remain in Sean’s debt for some wonderful memories.  I am sure he will continue to build on his impressive career as a football manager.”

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-6937.html

So why has he gone from enjoying his time here and wishing us well, to slagging US off and fermenting discord? Can you ask Karenza when you next tweet her, although I prefer to leave it all in the past myself.

On a different note, can you fit something about the bike ride to Brentford in the next RTR - when is the deadline please?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on March 27, 2013, 06:57:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Glen, seems you have some kind of rapport with Karenza, you're one well poised to ask her  -  though if she has something to say, she could easily say it on this forum rather than just "passively" reading it   :whistle:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on March 27, 2013, 07:48:46 pm by RobTheRover »
On a different note, can you fit something about the bike ride to Brentford in the next RTR - when is the deadline please?

Bloody hell, Wilts!  We havent had RTR for donkeys years.  Its PS in this new fangled world, mate.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on March 27, 2013, 08:05:03 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry Rob - I have forgotten where I am in all this muck raking from the past!! And promise to buy two copies of Popular Stand next time as penitence!

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on March 27, 2013, 08:15:46 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

After keeping us in the division for 3 years, when all the meat had been taken off the bones and the skeleton was left, the board turn on the best manager since I started supporting the club! They've never had a penny of my money from that point on and won't until they get back into the championship, if that ever happens!

Savvy - I'm sorry, you talk a lot of sense but what kind of a statement is that?

Why does it take us to be in the Championship for you to invest money into the club again?

[/quote]
The reason why it would take us to be in the Championship before I put anymore of my disposable income into the club is because I don't think the board are committed to bringing Championship football back to the club.  Following the last trip into that division and the obvious inability to compete with other teams in that division why would they want to go through all that trauma again? Average crowds of circa 9k, lack of funds to sustain a club at that level, having to sell anyone who shows any sort of flare at that level to balance the books, what would be the point? I fully expect us to fall away, and then fail in the play-offs, but if I'm wrong, I'm prepared to buy a season ticket to atone for my lack of faith.

And before anyone gets on about commitment, your talking about someone who missed 9 games throughout our entire time in the conference, home, away, mcmillian, JP trophy, friendlies, you name it I was there, equally I never missed more than a handful of games per season on our return to the football league, so I think I can safely say that I bought into the JR vision of what he wanted for the club!!!
[/quote]

How can you think the board arent committed?  They have invested money into creating a team who is the best in this division (so far) this season to get back into the championship.  Ok we've surprised a few, maybe even a few members of the board, but since it looked like we had a chance this season (November onwards) the manager had been backed by the board financially for us to achieve success.

However once we are in the championship you seem to be implying that you want us to play a game of shit or bust in order for us to stay in there.  That would be crazy.  We are one of the best run clubs in the country because we live within our means.  Want us to be another Portsmouth do you?  Living beyond our means and being millions in debt?  Thats not for me thanks very much.  I'm proud of the way our club is run.  If that makes us a yo-yo club then so be it.

Finally, you say you were there throughout the conference, mcmillan trophy, never missed a game etc etc.  Fair play to you but that was all success.  What did you do in the Richardson years??  Seems to me like you've gone through one relegation and jacked it in.  You dont know what trauma is my friend.

Hrrtfordshire Loyal

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on March 27, 2013, 08:24:15 pm by Hrrtfordshire Loyal »
It was SOD that turned down Charlie Adams when he was offered.
Shrewd not turning down a now Premiership player and the obvious financial benefits that we could have recieved.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on March 27, 2013, 08:33:13 pm by Savvy »

After keeping us in the division for 3 years, when all the meat had been taken off the bones and the skeleton was left, the board turn on the best manager since I started supporting the club! They've never had a penny of my money from that point on and won't until they get back into the championship, if that ever happens!

Savvy - I'm sorry, you talk a lot of sense but what kind of a statement is that?

Why does it take us to be in the Championship for you to invest money into the club again?

The reason why it would take us to be in the Championship before I put anymore of my disposable income into the club is because I don't think the board are committed to bringing Championship football back to the club.  Following the last trip into that division and the obvious inability to compete with other teams in that division why would they want to go through all that trauma again? Average crowds of circa 9k, lack of funds to sustain a club at that level, having to sell anyone who shows any sort of flare at that level to balance the books, what would be the point? I fully expect us to fall away, and then fail in the play-offs, but if I'm wrong, I'm prepared to buy a season ticket to atone for my lack of faith.

And before anyone gets on about commitment, your talking about someone who missed 9 games throughout our entire time in the conference, home, away, mcmillian, JP trophy, friendlies, you name it I was there, equally I never missed more than a handful of games per season on our return to the football league, so I think I can safely say that I bought into the JR vision of what he wanted for the club!!!
[/quote]

How can you think the board arent committed?  They have invested money into creating a team who is the best in this division (so far) this season to get back into the championship.  Ok we've surprised a few, maybe even a few members of the board, but since it looked like we had a chance this season (November onwards) the manager had been backed by the board financially for us to achieve success.

However once we are in the championship you seem to be implying that you want us to play a game of shit or bust in order for us to stay in there.  That would be crazy.  We are one of the best run clubs in the country because we live within our means.  Want us to be another Portsmouth do you?  Living beyond our means and being millions in debt?  Thats not for me thanks very much.  I'm proud of the way our club is run.  If that makes us a yo-yo club then so be it.

Finally, you say you were there throughout the conference, mcmillan trophy, never missed a game etc etc.  Fair play to you but that was all success.  What did you do in the Richardson years??  Seems to me like you've gone through one relegation and jacked it in.  You dont know what trauma is my friend.
[/quote]

My first season was 1969 if that helps any? Remember Stuart Robertson walking around Belle Vue with the old 4th Division championship trophy. Think if you asked around they'll be a few that will clarify whether or not I've put my share in!!!

In terms of investment this season, just how much have they invested?  As for shit or bust, its quite simple, I don't expect them to take this sort of approach, the phrase that springs to mind is "If you can't stand the heat, keep out of the kitchen"!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on March 27, 2013, 08:33:56 pm by NickDRFC »
Shrewd not turning down a now Premiership player and the obvious financial benefits that we could have recieved.

Always thought this was a pointless thing to bring up - how many other countless players do you think he, and Saunders and Flynn for that matter, were offered who have since drifted off down the leagues? And do you think we were the only club who turned down the chance to talk to Adam?

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on March 27, 2013, 08:36:54 pm by Savvy »

Always thought this was a pointless thing to bring up - how many other countless players do you think he, and Saunders and Flynn for that matter, were offered who have since drifted off down the leagues? And do you think we were the only club who turned down the chance to talk to Adam?

Kevin Keegan anyone?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on March 27, 2013, 08:38:07 pm by RobTheRover »
Every manager turns down good players for a multitude of reasons.  It doesnt prove anything and only gets revealed (usually) long after the event.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on March 27, 2013, 08:42:31 pm by TheFunk »
Charlie Adam wasn't the only one though. Add David Vaughan and the 2 at Wigan.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on March 27, 2013, 08:44:21 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Savvy

I'm no trying to say that you haven't put your share in in the past.  I just find some of what you're saying now quite strange.

At the start of this season we had to let Coppinger go out on loan as his wages were an 'issue' lets say.  He is now back at the club and we are paying his wages again.  He is a quality player who will help us in our quest to return to the championship.  So there is some investment to start.  The board have also committed to other investment such as John Lundstram Dean Furman.  So I really believe the board are showing ambition.

As for if/when we get into the championship again you are now implying that we CANT invest lots of money into the team so the board shouldnt bother??

Seems a bit of a dammed if they do, dammed if they dont approach to me.  What exactly do YOU want of JR and the board?

I'm not having a go, I just want to understand what you're thinking.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on March 27, 2013, 08:58:10 pm by Savvy »
Savvy

I'm no trying to say that you haven't put your share in in the past.  I just find some of what you're saying now quite strange.

At the start of this season we had to let Coppinger go out on loan as his wages were an 'issue' lets say.  He is now back at the club and we are paying his wages again.  He is a quality player who will help us in our quest to return to the championship.  So there is some investment to start.  The board have also committed to other investment such as John Lundstram Dean Furman.  So I really believe the board are showing ambition.

As for if/when we get into the championship again you are now implying that we CANT invest lots of money into the team so the board shouldnt bother??

Seems a bit of a dammed if they do, dammed if they dont approach to me.  What exactly do YOU want of JR and the board?

Never thought for one minute your having a pop fella, nor have you been insulting or anything of that nature, just a grown up conversation it seems to me!!!

The reason we are paying James Coppinger's wages is because we are contracted so to do, simple as that, sorry you can't claim that as investment.

What I'm implying is that I've no confidence that the board are prepared to invest should we get promoted and so what would be the point of going up to come straight back down? Won't happen, but if there is some major investment planned should we get promoted, that's a different matter!!! But if that was going to happen, its my belief that John Ryan would have been shouting it from the rooftops already, after all, its never stopped him before has it?

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on March 27, 2013, 09:11:27 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Savvy

Never thought for one minute your having a pop fella, nor have you been insulting or anything of that nature, just a grown up conversation it seems to me!!!

The reason we are paying James Coppinger's wages is because we are contracted so to do, simple as that, sorry you can't claim that as investment.

What I'm implying is that I've no confidence that the board are prepared to invest should we get promoted and so what would be the point of going up to come straight back down? Won't happen, but if there is some major investment planned should we get promoted, that's a different matter!!! But if that was going to happen, its my belief that John Ryan would have been shouting it from the rooftops already, after all, its never stopped him before has it?

No it hasen't haha.

I guess you're right in a way.  We wont invest millions.  But then again part of that is down to us the fans.  We're not a big club, we're not even a championship sized club really, but we like to live the dream :) 

If we had a bigger fanbase like Leeds or the Sheffield clubs we could invest more.  We dont, so JR and the board choose to live within our means.  I think thats fair enough to be honest as JR already covers any original shortfall we make out of his own pocket.  I dont want us to be another Pompey, Leeds, Coventry etc who are millions in debt due to bad management of the club just to try and live the dream at a higher level.

Go on Savvy, get your season ticket back, you know you want to :)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on March 27, 2013, 09:54:21 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Well Rigo I found that interesting reading, but I'm not in a position  to comment either way but I do seem to remember a bit of talk about Sean being unable to register on here

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on March 27, 2013, 10:23:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I also know that in the few weeks immediately after his sacking, SO’D wanted to make a statement and tried to register on this very forum, only to be denied by certain ‘individuals’

OK Rigo. I'm not ITK but this is just an observation. 

If you were a moderator and/or an official of the VSC and you received a registration request from a 'Sean O'Driscoll' what would you do?

1. Do nothing and allow 'whomever' to post whatever they liked
2. Check out the authenticity?
3. Question their intentions?
4. Question whether this medium is the best place to air their views/grievances?
5. Considering all of the above, then consider potential consequences including legal action?

Do you, or anyone not believe that any one of these protocols would have been followed at the time if such a request was received?

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on March 27, 2013, 10:35:22 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Well isn't that interesting.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on March 27, 2013, 10:38:45 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Well, the shit has been well and truly stirred. Get some popcorn and sit back.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012