Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:20:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sean O'Driscoll  (Read 38297 times)

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
Re: Sean O'Driscoll
« Reply #60 on March 26, 2013, 02:41:31 pm by ArmthorpeRover »
Just read some tweets about this that made me laugh. Some random woman on Twitter is claiming to know SOD and is going around spouting the "true" version of events, which SOD-obsessed Rovers fans are now bowing down to as if it is 100% fact and has any more credibility than anything that's out there.

Funny how people believe the rumours/opinions that support their own point of view, and dismiss any other views as not being credible because they don't fit in with what they want to believe. Even if this person does know SOD and does hold the true story, why is it any more credible than what anyone else has to say? Anybody can claim to be "ITK" over this stuff.

Like I said in another thread.....this SO'D fanw**king is cringeworthy. He hasn't been our manager for a good while now so ppl need to get a grip and move on. No amount of bickering will change what happened and he has precisely f*** all to do with our future so we need to move forward with our club whilst he gets on with his.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on March 26, 2013, 02:44:00 pm by Alickismyhero »
Where does the mythology start and the truth end? As we seem to be creating our own right now?

Sean was sacked/put on gardening leave on 23rd September 2011. His LMA statement saying he had been paid was issued on 19th January 2012. Is that 5 months - or is it 4? Perhaps Alick can clear this up?

Hi,
5 months or 4 months I don't really see the relevance but for what its worth I don't know the answer. Over a period of time he was our manager up till now I have formed an opinion that Sean is a very honourable man that I have the utmost respect for. I will only respond if I think I can correct an adverse comment on Sean. I don't expect a press report from the Board saying that Donny treated him poorly. Its not going to happen. Anyone with any experience in football knows that a manager will get the sack in the end with only one exception I can think of. Sean knows that and mainly complains about the period of time to settle the contract terms. The longer a manager is out of the game reduces the chances of getting another job so there is an urgency to sort the contract terms out.

I can understand comments like "he was abysmal for 9 months" but try looking at it from the point of view Why did the team  team go on a bad run? what was Sean trying to do to correct it? Could he correct it? I think I know what your opinions are and I don't think we will ever agree. But where I will agree with you is that GB  and BF are great assets to the club.

The club is better run now with GB and with BF producing football that is pleasing to the eye I am at last back in love with the club.

Pubteam, can you tell me how to check that twitter comments out?

pubteam

« Reply #62 on March 26, 2013, 02:47:46 pm by pubteam »
Where does the mythology start and the truth end? As we seem to be creating our own right now?

Sean was sacked/put on gardening leave on 23rd September 2011. His LMA statement saying he had been paid was issued on 19th January 2012. Is that 5 months - or is it 4? Perhaps Alick can clear this up?

Hi,
5 months or 4 months I don't really see the relevance but for what its worth I don't know the answer. Over a period of time he was our manager up till now I have formed an opinion that Sean is a very honourable man that I have the utmost respect for. I will only respond if I think I can correct an adverse comment on Sean. I don't expect a press report from the Board saying that Donny treated him poorly. Its not going to happen. Anyone with any experience in football knows that a manager will get the sack in the end with only one exception I can think of. Sean knows that and mainly complains about the period of time to settle the contract terms. The longer a manager is out of the game reduces the chances of getting another job so there is an urgency to sort the contract terms out.

I can understand comments like "he was abysmal for 9 months" but try looking at it from the point of view Why did the team  team go on a bad run? what was Sean trying to do to correct it? Could he correct it? I think I know what your opinions are and I don't think we will ever agree. But where I will agree with you is that GB  and BF are great assets to the club.

The club is better run now with GB and with BF producing football that is pleasing to the eye I am at last back in love with the club.

Pubteam, can you tell me how to check that twitter comments out?

twitter.com/renzam12

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 26, 2013, 03:26:01 pm by TheFunk »
You can just tell that Viva Rovers is salivating at the prospect of criticising the club again.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on March 26, 2013, 03:38:14 pm by Alickismyhero »

Pubteam, Thank you for the info.

If what Karenza says is accurate that makes me very angry. I will try to find out the truth but the chances are that I won't be able but I will try.

For those of you who don't do twitter, like me, Karenza says that Sean and Richard went a long time with no salary coming in from Donny( they called it gardening leave) and no one willing to talk about it at Donny. Making the assumption it is correct Is that treating people with respect? can it be justified? or is it a load of rubbish. I don't know right now but I will try to get to the bottom of it.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on March 26, 2013, 03:58:56 pm by phil o sophical »
I always thought that if you were on gardening leave, then you were stiil being paid but no longer wanted. If the club had stopped paying both of them surely they would have been in breach of contract which then takes youinto another area

pubteam

« Reply #66 on March 26, 2013, 04:30:23 pm by pubteam »

If what Karenza says is accurate that makes me very angry. I will try to find out the truth but the chances are that I won't be able but I will try.

For those of you who don't do twitter, like me, Karenza says that Sean and Richard went a long time with no salary coming in from Donny( they called it gardening leave) and no one willing to talk about it at Donny. Making the assumption it is correct Is that treating people with respect? can it be justified? or is it a load of rubbish. I don't know right now but I will try to get to the bottom of it.

My point was, before you go into the details of what was said, why are people who are, let's say "pro-SOD" so willing to believe what this random person on Twitter says and rubberstamp it as fact, yet they don't give the same amount of credibility to anything other people say (for example, silent_majority) and dismiss that sort of stuff as "rumours".

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on March 26, 2013, 05:04:43 pm by Alickismyhero »

My point was, before you go into the details of what was said, why are people who are, let's say "pro-SOD" so willing to believe what this random person on Twitter says and rubberstamp it as fact, yet they don't give the same amount of credibility to anything other people say (for example, silent_majority) and dismiss that sort of stuff as "rumours".

Pubteam,
I hope you are not referring to me. If you do another take on what I said you will see that I said "if it is true?" and that "I would attempt to find out if it was true" "it could be a load of rubbish" I can assure you that I have not taken her comments as gospel.
I am not getting any feed back so I think it is unlikely that I will be able to confirm it or not I am sorry to say.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 26, 2013, 05:09:51 pm by RedJ »

What I don't get is why people are still fawning over him.

Or why no one else seems good enough for them.

pubteam

« Reply #69 on March 26, 2013, 05:34:09 pm by pubteam »

Pubteam,
I hope you are not referring to me. If you do another take on what I said you will see that I said "if it is true?" and that "I would attempt to find out if it was true" "it could be a load of rubbish" I can assure you that I have not taken her comments as gospel.
I am not getting any feed back so I think it is unlikely that I will be able to confirm it or not I am sorry to say.

No. Not referring to you. Mainly to people who want to accept this person's words as gospel, but don't open their ears to anything from the other side of the story.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on March 26, 2013, 05:47:09 pm by Alickismyhero »
Pubteam,

I can now confirm that what Karenza has said is correct. I don't think the club can deny it without getting into deeper water can they? They would be well advised to ignore the comments and move on quickly hoping nobody notices, damage limitation.

Now there will be those who will not take Karenza's  comments as correct, there will be those who will and of course those who are just not interested because thats how football works.

Personally I think Donny handled it very badly Sean and Richard have good grounds for grievance but I am convinced that GB would have handled it better.

The King is dead long live BF.

Please note I have never brought up Sean in any article but I reserve the right to correct any inaccuracy when he is mentioned on the site.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on March 26, 2013, 06:53:11 pm by Filo »
Pubteam,

I can now confirm that what Karenza has said is correct. I don't think the club can deny it without getting into deeper water can they? They would be well advised to ignore the comments and move on quickly hoping nobody notices, damage limitation.

Now there will be those who will not take Karenza's  comments as correct, there will be those who will and of course those who are just not interested because thats how football works.

Personally I think Donny handled it very badly Sean and Richard have good grounds for grievance but I am convinced that GB would have handled it better.

Please note I have never brought up Sean in any article but I reserve the right to correct any inaccuracy when he is mentioned on the site.

The question then arises, why did n`t he go to an employment tribunal if he felt that aggrieved about it?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on March 26, 2013, 07:28:12 pm by StocktonRover »
He's long gone - why should we give a flying F@#k about whether it was 4 or 5 months or what the crack was about his pay.

We're fans of DRFC not SODs best F@#king mate.

Time to move on, leave this in the past where it belongs and get behind the team and the club for the last 7 games of a remarkable season.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on March 26, 2013, 07:55:21 pm by Alickismyhero »
Pubteam,

The question then arises, why did n`t he go to an employment tribunal if he felt that aggrieved about it?

Filo
I can't answer that and I have no intention of asking why. I think you said earlier that "why should he now moan at least he was getting paid on gardening leave" or words to that affect. Can you now see why he holds a grudge because he wasn't getting paid! and neither was Richard.
I will be very surprised if the club deny it but if they don't that would be tantamount to admission, damned if you do damned if you don't.

SR,
 I take your point in general it is time to move on and you will note I said that earlier on but I think it is respectful to respond to Chris, who started the article, and I don't believe in censorship in any form. When someone makes a bad statement about your club it deserves a response and it should not be swept under the carpet.  Likewise if it is a libellous  action should be taken by the club just like the Tory MP who took action against ITV  .

Somehow I doubt they will!

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 26, 2013, 08:21:05 pm by Savvy »
Some of the comments of how badly Sean O'Driscoll performed in the last 8 or 9 months whilst he was manager here make my arse smile!!!!

Has everyone forgotten how he was expected to pull a rabbit from out of his arse each season end and sell our best players in order to balance the books?

Let's have it right, it was a lack of investment that ultimately lead to his demise, the season before we went down we finished 4th bottom, so without any inward investment relegation the following season was a self fulfilling prophecy, O'Driscoll told them this and the board span it out like " he's beaten already" and the gullible fall for it!!!

So What happened to the "And When we get to the championship, we won't be there just to make the numbers up" JR?

vikingwill

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 26, 2013, 08:22:42 pm by vikingwill »
What gives SOD the right to complain about honoring contracts when he left Crawley to manage Forest without even managing a competitive game?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 26, 2013, 08:34:01 pm by DonnyNoel »
What gives SOD the right to complain about honoring contracts when he left Crawley to manage Forest without even managing a competitive game?

Hate getting into these debates and its arguing a hypothetical stance on my part but I believe if Crawley had said "no" to SOD going to Forest then he wouldn't have gone - based on the Burnley saga. SOD obviously wasn't "Rovers til I die" but I still think he had honour. If he hadn't he would have gone to Burnley.

Crawley were obviously comfortable with the level of compensation they would get.

That aside, what a shit time for this story to come out, just as all fans are bonding over the real issue of whether we need 82/83/84 pts to go up. Barring the odd Gary Woods thread I can't recall the forum being such a friendly place in the last 3 years!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on March 26, 2013, 08:52:31 pm by Filo »

Hate getting into these debates and its arguing a hypothetical stance on my part but I believe if Crawley had said "no" to SOD going to Forest then he wouldn't have gone - based on the Burnley saga. SOD obviously wasn't "Rovers til I die" but I still think he had honour. If he hadn't he would have gone to Burnley.

Crawley were obviously comfortable with the level of compensation they would get.

That aside, what a shit time for this story to come out, just as all fans are bonding over the real issue of whether we need 82/83/84 pts to go up. Barring the odd Gary Woods thread I can't recall the forum being such a friendly place in the last 3 years!

Almost as shit a time as when the team were on their way to Yeovil when a bid was made for Copps, in both cases there`s a common denominator, the perceived honourable man!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on March 26, 2013, 09:16:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Savvy

St the start of the 11/12 season, in the middle of that run of 1 point from 21, O'Driscoll himself said that we had a competitive Championship wage bill. I remember it well because I thought it had the sound of a man writing his own P45.

The figures bandied about are that our wage bill round that time was something in the region of £6M. I have no idea if that is correct, but I haven't seen it denied. Assuming 80% of that went on a first team squad of 22 main players, that would have been an average salary of £220k. As I say, I don't know if that is correct, but given what the club has said about how severely we've had to trim the bill since relegation, it sounds intuitively in the right region.

Now, Average Championship salaries on 2012/12 were around £250k. So it appears that we were perhaps not a million miles from paying average wages.

How much further were the club supposed to push things to "support" O'Driscoll?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 26, 2013, 09:30:10 pm by DonnyNoel »
Savvy

St the start of the 11/12 season, in the middle of that run of 1 point from 21, O'Driscoll himself said that we had a competitive Championship wage bill. I remember it well because I thought it had the sound of a man writing his own P45.

The figures bandied about are that our wage bill round that time was something in the region of £6M. I have no idea if that is correct, but I haven't seen it denied. Assuming 80% of that went on a first team squad of 22 main players, that would have been an average salary of £220k. As I say, I don't know if that is correct, but given what the club has said about how severely we've had to trim the bill since relegation, it sounds intuitively in the right region.

Now, Average Championship salaries on 2012/12 were around £250k. So it appears that we were perhaps not a million miles from paying average wages.

Since then though (and I'm saying this from a Devils Advocate POV) we've seen it stated that the "mighty" Bristol City have a wage bill of nearly £20m so maybe he was mistaken on that. (But yes your overall point of being heavily backed by the board is one I agree with)

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on March 26, 2013, 09:51:15 pm by Savvy »
Savvy

Bill,

O'Driscoll might have said that we had a competitive championship wage bill, but what does that mean exactly? All that means is that the current players at the club are on wages that are comparable with others in the division so no amazing news there!  The fact that we were having to sell a player at the end of each year to do that is probably a point worth more consideration!!!! 

Surely the point of having a board is to provide the manager with the tools to carryout his role. Instead they were happy to see players leave and hope that he could keep us in the division! Let's face it, another 4 games in the season previous and we'd have gone down then!

It doesn't matter one bit what "comparative" or "average" wage we were paying or was being "bandied about" we did not have players of sufficient quality or numbers to maintain our championship status.

After keeping us in the division for 3 years, when all the meat had been taken off the bones and the skeleton was left, the board turn on the best manager since I started supporting the club! They've never had a penny of my money from that point on and won't until they get back into the championship, if that ever happens!

How much further were the club supposed to push things? Since when did they push anything apart from the Billy Sharp purchase, which, I dont know but my guess is it was done in installments!!! Lets face it, they've a duty to the supporters as well as the manager, but getting their hands on the stadium seemed to be a preoccupation at the time!!!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on March 26, 2013, 09:54:32 pm by BobG »
chances are that I won't be able but I will try.

My point was, before you go into the details of what was said, why are people who are, let's say "pro-SOD" so willing to believe what this random person on Twitter says and rubberstamp it as fact,

Hi Pubteam

Sorry to barge in. Do you know for certain that Karenza is a 'random person'?

Oddly, I happen to know her. I assure you. she is not random. Not in the slightest. If she chooses to publish who she is and what she does, you will know exactly why what she says has to be given a great deal of credence.

Cheers

BobG

PS And apropos the wages discussion, don't forget that to pay wages, you have to sign people first. Exactly who did Rovers sign that cost competitive money? Billy Sharp. Not much more than that tbh. So competitive Championship wages for crocks, has beens and may be's is a subject that is worthy of some thought.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:59:41 pm by BobG »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 26, 2013, 10:02:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Stop bumming the guy. He never cared about us. He tried time and time again to get away from us.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on March 26, 2013, 10:09:57 pm by hoolahoop »
Stop bumming the guy. He never cared about us. He tried time and time again to get away from us.

You're talking bollox and are trying to downgrade this thread with such comments........ok I'm at your level now. Now please justify your comments it does help in a debate rather than just slagging off a fellow poster in such a manner.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on March 26, 2013, 10:15:16 pm by StocktonRover »
If only there was an ignore thread button - then we wouldn't have tp trawl through all this boring crap every couple of months.

Its in the past - let it go.

pubteam

« Reply #85 on March 26, 2013, 10:15:39 pm by pubteam »
chances are that I won't be able but I will try.

My point was, before you go into the details of what was said, why are people who are, let's say "pro-SOD" so willing to believe what this random person on Twitter says and rubberstamp it as fact,

Hi Pubteam

Sorry to barge in. Do you know for certain that Karenza is a 'random person'?

Oddly, I happen to know her. I assure you. she is not random. Not in the slightest. If she chooses to publish who she is and what she does, you will know exactly why what she says has to be given a great deal of credence.

Cheers

BobG

PS And apropos the wages discussion, don't forget that to pay wages, you have to sign people first. Exactly who did Rovers sign that cost competitive money? Billy Sharp. Not much more than that tbh. So competitive Championship wages for crocks, has beens and may be's is a subject that is worthy of some thought.

Completely random as far as the majority of Rovers fans are concerned though. Which makes it all the more bizarre to me that people are just willing to accept what she says if it fits in with the way they imagine events.

EDIT - ARRRGGH. Who messed up the formatting of the post?!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on March 26, 2013, 10:17:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »

You're talking bollox and are trying to downgrade this thread with such comments........ok I'm at your level now. Now please justify your comments it does help in a debate rather than just slagging off a fellow poster in such a manner.

Who did I directly slag off? No one...

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 26, 2013, 10:19:48 pm by Savvy »
If only there was an ignore thread button - then we wouldn't have tp trawl through all this boring crap every couple of months.

Its in the past - let it go.

So boring and dull that you still feel the need to make a contribution!!! Well done you!!!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on March 26, 2013, 10:27:21 pm by Alickismyhero »
SR,
Its easy really you don't need an ignore button you just ignore it and move on.

Hoola

I think it has been a good article and I can honestly say that the comments made by Karenza are accurate. The only thing I would like to know now is who is she?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on March 26, 2013, 10:30:23 pm by Filo »
SR,
Its easy really you don't need an ignore button you just ignore it and move on.

Hoola

I think it has been a good article and I can honestly say that the comments made by Karenza are accurate. The only thing I would like to know now is who is she?

I`m sure I`ve heard a poster mention a Karenza on here before, if I`m not mistaken it may have been you Alickismyhero, it`s Sean`s partner is n`t it?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012