Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:01:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Claim to fame  (Read 12608 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Claim to fame
« Reply #30 on April 18, 2013, 02:13:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I forgot about that! I also did the Doncaster Free Press prediction league for three years running in the Championship.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 18, 2013, 02:20:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I once saw Steve Strange of Visage in Munich Hauptbanhof at 6am. I'd just got off the overnight train from Bologna. Absolutely knacked and fetid. Then along struts this perfectly made-up New Romantic. He was quite a an impressive sight.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2013, 02:31:20 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I was cramming for Finals at Uni in 1972 - amid all those the electricity strikes. 9pm one evening the lights went out and I decided to hit the bar. I ended up hitting something else in the pitch black at the bottom of the staircase - an octogenarian man to be precise. It was JRR Tolkien and I spent the next three hours walking around the college gardens with him. Lovely fella and saw him several times after that - and he signed my copy of LOTR.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2013, 03:03:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was cramming for Finals at Uni in 1972 - amid all those the electricity strikes. 9pm one evening the lights went out and I decided to hit the bar. I ended up hitting something else in the pitch black at the bottom of the staircase - an octogenarian man to be precise. It was JRR Tolkien and I spent the next three hours walking around the college gardens with him. Lovely fella and saw him several times after that - and he signed my copy of LOTR.

Are you sure you that wasn't a dream Dutch,  maybe just a case of Tolkien in your sleep?

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2013, 03:47:51 pm by ridgewoodrover »
Simon Weston mentions me in his autobiography as a Doncaster Rovers fan as I served with him in training.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2013, 04:32:33 pm by Donnywolf »
On January the 5th 2013 I was fan of the day on the Colchester Prog

33 Gary Woods was the other "Cover Star" .... I bought a Prog for the first time for ages and dropped it

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 18, 2013, 04:37:23 pm by phllvslc »
My mum nearly crashed into JR and his Bentley around the Galpharm a few years ago.....

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 19, 2013, 03:31:21 pm by RobTheRover »
I had a letter published in the 100th issue of Star Wars comic in 1979

I won a pair of Reebok football boots in a 90Minutes magazine competition.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 19, 2013, 03:44:44 pm by jonnydog »
I was once in Rolfs Cartoon Club   :coat:

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 19, 2013, 05:51:51 pm by bigbadjack »
I had a beer with Mani from the stone roses in Bangkok airport

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 19, 2013, 06:47:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I once had a beer with Hooky from New Order in the Hallamshire in Sheffield

I say I had a beer with him. Actually, I was stood at the side of him at the bar. I said "eh up Hooky."
He said "f**k off."

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 19, 2013, 07:04:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Actually, I forgot my biggest claim to fame.

About 6 years back I got a call from Mrs Stubbs-Tears at work. She asked if I was going to be home early. I asked why. She said, just be careful if you do because there's 5 armed police in the back garden.

Turned out the 3 Spanish lads in the house next door but one were a Basque terrorist cell who had holed up in Sheffield while they were plotting a bomb attack in Madrid.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 19, 2013, 07:24:50 pm by Filo »

About 6 years back I got a call from Mrs Stubbs-Tears at work. She asked if I was going to be home early. I asked why. She said, just be careful if you do because there's 5 armed police in the back garden.

Turned out the 3 Spanish lads in the house next door but one were a Basque terrorist cell who had holed up in Sheffield while they were plotting a bomb attack in Madrid.

So you did n`t bother coming home early and waited while the...............ahem..............5 armed Police had departed? ;)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 19, 2013, 08:05:07 pm by River Don »
I once had a chat with Sir Ian McKellan and Sylvester McCoy. We were in a bar near Chrysallis studios watching England. In they walked and sat next to us, they wanted to know what the team was and how I thought they were playing.

For a couple of old luvvies they were quite well up on their football.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 19, 2013, 08:07:55 pm by River Don »
I also once helped Ian Brown of the Stone Roses fame fill out a Euromillions lottery card.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 19, 2013, 08:11:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I made the ropes for the Millennium Dome (02 arena).

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 19, 2013, 08:17:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

So you did n`t bother coming home early and waited while the...............ahem..............5 armed Police had departed? ;)

Yeah. Funny that it was never in the papers...

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 19, 2013, 08:27:09 pm by jonrover »
Freddie Trueman scruffed up my hair when I was a bairn in Bradford city centre. And I've played cricket against Dean Jones who made a guest appearance for Nostell in the Whitley Bridge cup when he was playing for Derbyshire.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 19, 2013, 10:28:06 pm by The Red Baron »
In terms of cricket, I scored a run off the bowling of the late Don Wilson (Yorkshire and England). I also hit Franklyn Stephenson (Notts) on the glove. He just smiled- and hit my next delivery over the pavilion!

On the same trip (to Barbados) I spent the outward flight talking to the late Colin Milburn- a lovely man whose cricket career was sadly cut short. I even managed to keep up with him in terms of units of alcohol consumed- some achievement, I can tell you!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 19, 2013, 11:50:07 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Yeah. Funny that it was never in the papers...

You would be surprised at what should be in the papers that doesn't get in  ;)

Going back when I was down the Falklands I had an amazing number of photos not printed and the negatives amazingly blank after they were developed,
Tornados were not used in the Falklands  according to the government  hmmnnn on a personal basis i saw them and they were ........i think  ;)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 20, 2013, 12:01:09 am by JonWallsend »
In terms of cricket, I scored a run off the bowling of the late Don Wilson (Yorkshire and England). I also hit Franklyn Stephenson (Notts) on the glove. He just smiled- and hit my next delivery over the pavilion!

On the same trip (to Barbados) I spent the outward flight talking to the late Colin Milburn- a lovely man whose cricket career was sadly cut short. I even managed to keep up with him in terms of units of alcohol consumed- some achievement, I can tell you!
I have a few cricket related ones.
I played with Franklyn Stephenson when he guested for the team I played with on a few occasions- he was quick.

I once carted Ted Hemsley for four and he said "good shot" It wasn't the fact that he had been an ex-pro cricketer, more that I remembered him playing for Rovers that it meant something. To put it into some sporting context, it was a friendly and Ted was in his 50's.

Interviewed Geoff Boycott for a school newspaper, It ran to one publication,- he hadn't long been released by Yorkshire- and he was a right miserable git.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 20, 2013, 07:39:24 am by NickDRFC »
I won 220 quid on sky sports "take it like a fan" after the final whistle at the city ground, a couple of years ago after rovers drew  nil nil with forest.

I am also Spartacus.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 20, 2013, 08:19:09 am by jonnydog »
No... I am Spartacus!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 20, 2013, 08:34:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dagenham.

It WAS in the papers. I was just indulging Filo in the suggestion that I was being cuckolded. Bit of a laugh. Although if he suggests it again, I will kick his cyber head in.

This was the ETA story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6600551.stm

"Undisclosed address". I love the way the Authorities think they keep control of information like this. Deluded. It's like they assume simpletons in the general public can't put two and two together.

Spanish lads in a house that gets raided by armed police. Then the police announce that they have arrested ETA terrorists. And they think that the address won't leak out?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 20, 2013, 08:43:41 am by Filo »
Dagenham.

It WAS in the papers. I was just indulging Filo in the suggestion that I was being cuckolded. Bit of a laugh. Although if he suggests it again, I will kick his cyber head in.

This was the ETA story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6600551.stm

"Undisclosed address". I love the way the Authorities think they keep control of information like this. Deluded. It's like they assume simpletons in the general public can't put two and two together.

Spanish lads in a house that gets raided by armed police. Then the police announce that they have arrested ETA terrorists. And they think that the address won't leak out?

The thought did n`t enter my head ;)

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 20, 2013, 09:43:46 am by streatham dave »
You lot can decide which is the best

I've been a film extra in a number of films including V for Vendetta where I was one of the V's. Also was in Children of men. I'm the last soilder in the entire film. Clip was used at the Oscars.

I led the London half marathon a few years ago. It was only for about 20 seconds after first 400 metres. I kept up with all the club runners for about 7 miles and then struggled badly the rest of the way.

I played beach cricket against the Barbados school champions. My side comprised a bunch of tourists (some of whom were American and had never played the game) as well as West Indies international Pedro Collins and Sir Garfield Sobers. Unfortunately we lost as the Barbados lot kept hitting the ball into the sea. Sobers only fielded but it was still a great experience . It was filmed for TV but don't know if it was ever shown in this country.

Fatboy slim once mistook me for Robbie Williams.

I once recieved an award where the guest speaker was Prince Philip. I met Johny Ball at the same event. I forgot to mention to him about his son in laws mistake.

The lady who did the voice of George from rainbow came to my wedding.

By the way River Don it is a funny old world I have met both Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian McKellen but seperately. McCoy was doing some miners benefit thing during miners strike. The pub in Stainforth he was in has since been knocked down. He told me he was going to be Dr Who but that I had to keep it to myself. Sir Ian McKellen sat and had a drink with myself and a fellow rovers fan in the Coal Hole on the strand. Never met Ian Brown so you have one on my there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:03:56 am by streatham dave »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 20, 2013, 10:18:04 am by ravenrover »
I played football with Phil Robinson (Rovers 1961-66) for a season at Broddie

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 20, 2013, 10:39:07 am by River Don »
You lot can decide which is the best

I've been a film extra in a number of films including V for Vendetta where I was one of the V's. Also was in Children of men. I'm the last soilder in the entire film. Clip was used at the Oscars.

I led the London half marathon a few years ago. It was only for about 20 seconds after first 400 metres. I kept up with all the club runners for about 7 miles and then struggled badly the rest of the way.

I played beach cricket against the Barbados school champions. My side comprised a bunch of tourists (some of whom were American and had never played the game) as well as West Indies international Pedro Collins and Sir Garfield Sobers. Unfortunately we lost as the Barbados lot kept hitting the ball into the sea. Sobers only fielded but it was still a great experience . It was filmed for TV but don't know if it was ever shown in this country.

Fatboy slim once mistook me for Robbie Williams.

I once recieved an award where the guest speaker was Prince Philip. I met Johny Ball at the same event. I forgot to mention to him about his son in laws mistake.

The lady who did the voice of George from rainbow came to my wedding.

By the way River Don it is a funny old world I have met both Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian McKellen but seperately. McCoy was doing some miners benefit thing during miners strike. The pub in Stainforth he was in has since been knocked down. He told me he was going to be Dr Who but that I had to keep it to myself. Sir Ian McKellen sat and had a drink with myself and a fellow rovers fan in the Coal Hole on the strand. Never met Ian Brown so you have one on my there.

Out of that lot I'd say the appearance in V for Vendetta. It is a film that will endure.

Ian Brown isn't the only musician I have met, I used to play five a side in West London, one night the game on the next door pitch included Ant and Dec and Robbie Williams. I got changed in the same changing rooms as that lot, not much to boast about but I suspect many ladies would have loved that opportunity.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on April 20, 2013, 10:53:10 am by Filo »
Picked up Paul Chuckle from the Chuckle brothers in my taxi and took him to Elachi in Armthorpe last year. I also picked up a very pissed Sean Thornton a few years ago from the Old Club in Stainy and dropped him off at Punch`s hotel in Bessacar, could n`t get an ounce of sense out of him and did n`t tip either

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 20, 2013, 11:15:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Old school friend of Mrs S-T got married 12 years back. She'd been in Footlights at Cambridge. All her luvvie friends came along, including a couple if ugly geeks who amused everybody by telling shit jokes.

How the all laughed. The Footlights bell ends.

A couple of years later, I saw the same two ugly geeks on their own programme on the telly. Peep Show or summat like that. They were shit. It'll never catch on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012