Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:09:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Claim to fame  (Read 12609 times)

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
Re: Claim to fame
« Reply #60 on April 20, 2013, 02:08:23 pm by Sandy Lane »
You lot can decide which is the best

I've been a film extra in a number of films including V for Vendetta where I was one of the V's. Also was in Children of men. I'm the last soilder in the entire film. Clip was used at the Oscars.

I led the London half marathon a few years ago. It was only for about 20 seconds after first 400 metres. I kept up with all the club runners for about 7 miles and then struggled badly the rest of the way.

I played beach cricket against the Barbados school champions. My side comprised a bunch of tourists (some of whom were American and had never played the game) as well as West Indies international Pedro Collins and Sir Garfield Sobers. Unfortunately we lost as the Barbados lot kept hitting the ball into the sea. Sobers only fielded but it was still a great experience . It was filmed for TV but don't know if it was ever shown in this country.

Fatboy slim once mistook me for Robbie Williams.

I once recieved an award where the guest speaker was Prince Philip. I met Johny Ball at the same event. I forgot to mention to him about his son in laws mistake.

The lady who did the voice of George from rainbow came to my wedding.

By the way River Don it is a funny old world I have met both Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian McKellen but seperately. McCoy was doing some miners benefit thing during miners strike. The pub in Stainforth he was in has since been knocked down. He told me he was going to be Dr Who but that I had to keep it to myself. Sir Ian McKellen sat and had a drink with myself and a fellow rovers fan in the Coal Hole on the strand. Never met Ian Brown so you have one on my there.

Great stories Dave, and love all the others as well.  Sadly, I have no claims to fame me, met some famous people - some of whom it was a true honor, mostly in London when my daughter worked in Parliament.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 20, 2013, 07:26:46 pm by jucyberry »
I've walked past filo when he is leaning against the wall at the keepmoat before a game...never liked to disturb him tho..

Not a claim to fame, but filo is a legend on the forum bless him.. :)

Oh and saw Andi Peters in Hamleys years ago, so long ago he was with a gladiator...... He had a big warty mole in his hair..lol

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 20, 2013, 09:13:49 pm by Mr1Croft »
I met Carling!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 20, 2013, 09:17:46 pm by CusworthRovers »
I met Carling!

Then you are the winner. The greatest trick Carling ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.

What did he look like?

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 22, 2013, 09:00:00 am by ditch_drfc »
I was once on a ferry to germany in 2008(i think), i fell asleep on the seats aboard and woke up next to Sean Thornton, had a full blown conversation about how i was one of his big fans, the Aston Villa game/goal and his Rovers career, then met the whole Leyton Orient team...

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on April 22, 2013, 11:50:33 am by Dutch Uncle »
I was cramming for Finals at Uni in 1972 - amid all those the electricity strikes. 9pm one evening the lights went out and I decided to hit the bar. I ended up hitting something else in the pitch black at the bottom of the staircase - an octogenarian man to be precise. It was JRR Tolkien and I spent the next three hours walking around the college gardens with him. Lovely fella and saw him several times after that - and he signed my copy of LOTR.

Are you sure you that wasn't a dream Dutch,  maybe just a case of Tolkien in your sleep?

Nah - what I do in my sleep is more Hobbit forming...............

The other College tale I have is of telling Alec Jeffreys (now Prof Sir AJ, FRS and founder of DNA fingerprinting) in 1969 that he nearly had a famous name................

Have a more recent claim - in 2001 I sold our last house to Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. She bought it for one of her staff - she didn't turn up in person but I do have the piece of paper with her signature authorising Power of Attorney.

And right now I am trying to sell our current house to move back to Blighty during the worst housing slump in memory in the Netherlands - and I thought she might be interested again. What does she do......... darn well abdicates! It's not on.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 22, 2013, 09:08:59 pm by BobG »
And I once sang on Songs of Praise. Not sure that's a claim to fame tbh.... Sang in the European premier of Leonard Bernsteins Mass - if that means anything - in the Albert Hall too.

Bob\G

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 22, 2013, 09:09:44 pm by BobG »
Oh. And I know (or used to know...) Dutch Uncle!

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 23, 2013, 12:09:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I was once in the national papers for setting fire to a fridge with a blow-torch.

Don't ask...

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 25, 2013, 06:46:59 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Shaun Ryder once asked me to sell him some 'e' (although thinking about it he's probably asked half the population of Britain the same question).

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 27, 2013, 09:22:08 am by Highland Rover »
Playing in a Dads v Sons cricket match , had my son caught off my bowling by Neil Innes of Bonzo Dog fame

........then proceeded to drop a caught and bowled chance off the next delivery !!!

balbykiwirover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 27, 2013, 09:40:14 am by balbykiwirover »
Not sure if it counts but met Copps, Mark Wilson, JOC (and not forgetting Paul Mayfield of course) at Machu Picchu.

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 29, 2013, 09:53:42 pm by ReadingViking »
Shook hands with Nelson Mandela when he was on a walk about in Trafalgar Square in 1996.

MartinB

« Reply #73 on April 30, 2013, 12:48:27 am by MartinB »
I too met Nelson Mandela when I was in the RAF, he waved all the press, station commander and officers away to come over shake my hand and speak to me (I was pondlife in terms of ranks) he was class...great memory from meeting a great man...station commander wasn't too happy though!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 30, 2013, 07:59:49 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I was 11 or 12 yrs old, on holiday at Butlins Filey, only time we ever went full-board.  There was one empty place at dinner first night but it was allocated with a name card.

Next morning a black guy was sat there tucking in to his breakfast when we all rolled up, Mam, Dad and five kids.  I was put next to him - black folk were a rare sight for us from Bolton on Dearne in 1966, apart from my dad when he had to get home from't pit in a hurry and missed his shower.

Anyway, this guy was just the funniest bloke in the world, he'd have the whole place in uproar with his quips and relentless teasing of the waitresses.  Mealtimes quickly became the highlight of the day.

It was the closing week of the season and he was there on a freebie to compete in the final of the talent competition after winning his round earlier in the season.  We went to see him perform, sang some song, but didn't win.

That was it really, until a couple of years later when that new Saturday evening show was launched - The Comedians - it was Charlie Williams of course.  As an entertainer he hadn't made it big until then so we didn't know him but it was a real thrill to see him become such a well loved celebrity.

And to think, I had been a Rover for a few years by the time we had that holiday but had missed Charlie's time at Belle Vue and so didn't know him, which is just as well as I'd probably have mythered him to death for the whole week.

SingingPostman

« Reply #75 on May 07, 2013, 02:04:37 pm by SingingPostman »
Maureen Lipman's uncle repaired my suit...I snogged Belinda Carlisle...I met Red Baron at Hayes. It's been a roller coaster...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 07, 2013, 02:11:49 pm by wing commander »
 I spent a day being a groundcrew extra on "memphis Belle" but try as i might never did recognise myself..Keep waiting for it to come on sky again so i can freeze frame the bits i knew i was about somewhere..there were hundreds of us us though dressed the same...lol

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on May 07, 2013, 05:09:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I once had THREE topics deleted in the space of about half an hour on the Viking chat site for having a bit of a laugh during our celebratory period following our championship winning  season! 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:18:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on May 07, 2013, 05:19:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Maureen Lipman's uncle repaired my suit...I snogged Belinda Carlisle...I met Red Baron at Hayes. It's been a roller coaster...

You snogged Belinda Carlisle??? What? Wi tongues and all ' biz? Was it in her early solo days when she was airbrushed smooth and cleavage? Or in the Go-go days when she looked like a better looking version of the lass out of Hayzee Fantayzee? Or more recently when she started to look like a crocodile who had run out of Oil of Ulay?

SingingPostman

« Reply #79 on May 08, 2013, 09:16:26 am by SingingPostman »

You snogged Belinda Carlisle??? What? Wi tongues and all ' biz? Was it in her early solo days when she was airbrushed smooth and cleavage? Or in the Go-go days when she looked like a better looking version of the lass out of Hayzee Fantayzee? Or more recently when she started to look like a crocodile who had run out of Oil of Ulay?

Would love to say it was during the solo days but it was Go-Go time. I was after Jane Weidlin but she told me 'go f*** yourself'. Belinda was willing to step into the breach. Jane Weidlin joined an impressive list of female stars who told me where to get off in those days...Gaye Advert, Viv Albertine and the cute bassist from Telephone. Not even a peck on the cheek.

A few years ago I saw BC interviewed about their wild Go-Go days. One day they dared each other to lick a public toilet floor when on tour in the UK. Which probably accounts for the slightly unusual post-snog taste.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 08, 2013, 10:44:07 pm by BobG »
I once sat next to Martin O'Neill  on an early morning Alitalia flight out of Heathrow to Rome. Very casual he was. Had a rather tasty youngish woman with him too. I hope she was his daughter!

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 09, 2013, 01:42:37 pm by RobTheRover »
On the Stone Roses tales, here's mine.

Stone Roses played Bridlington Spa theatre, promoting the Second Coming album.  3 of us made our way over and after the gig we ended up in the pub over the road.  A bit of a lock-in ensued til about 2am.  Obviously the designated driver wasnt too pleased with the late hour, but we got on the road home and immediately got the munchies so pulled into the first services we found.  Imagine our delight to find Mani (in full length fur coat and sunclasses) and John Squire in there stocking up on goodies too.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on May 09, 2013, 01:46:18 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Ian Brown shops in my local Sainsburys.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 09, 2013, 09:25:22 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Featured on the front page of the free press this year as well as two other occasions. Was also on t.v, only a few seconds clip mind

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 09, 2013, 10:28:22 pm by BobG »
Ian Brown shops in my local Sainsburys.

Bloody hell Stu!!! Can I come stay with you a few days????

Cheers

BobG

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 09, 2013, 10:59:07 pm by Standanista »
My Aunty Helen's hairdressers in Balby was where they filmed Open All Hours.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on May 10, 2013, 07:41:06 am by Bentley Bullet »
A work colleague from Barnsley was an extra in the film 'Deliverance '.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 10, 2013, 08:47:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I've been a film extra in a number of films including V for Vendetta where I was one of the V's. Also was in Children of men. I'm the last soilder in the entire filhm. Clip was used at the Oscars.

I led the London half marathon a few years ago. It was only for about 20 seconds after first 400 metres. I kept up with all the club runners for about 7 miles and then struggled badly the rest of the way.

I played beach cricket against the Barbados school champions. My side comprised a bunch of tourists (some of whom were American and had never played the game) as well as West Indies international Pedro Collins and Sir Garfield Sobers. Unfortunately we lost as the Barbados lot kept hitting the ball into the sea. Sobers only fielded but it was still a great experience . It was filmed for TV but don't know if it was ever shown in this country.

I once recieved an award where the guest speaker was Prince Philip. I met Johny Ball at the same event. I forgot to mention to him about his son in laws mistake.

By the way River Don it is a funny old world I have met both Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian McKellen but seperately. McCoy was doing some miners benefit thing during miners strike. The pub in Stainforth he was in has since been knocked down. He told me he was going to be Dr Who but that I had to keep it to myself. Sir Ian McKellen sat and had a drink with myself and a fellow rovers fan in the Coal Hole on the strand. Never met Ian Brown so you have one on my there.

Out of that lot I'd say the appearance in V for Vendetta. It is a film that will endure.

Ian Brown isn't the only musician I have met, I used to play five a side in West London, one night the game on the next door pitch included Ant and Dec and Robbie Williams. I got changed in the same changing rooms as that lot, not much to boast about but I suspect many ladies would have loved that opportunity.

RD

So who are the other musicians you have met?

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 10, 2013, 06:27:35 pm by JonWallsend »
...I snogged Belinda Carlisle...

You win and deservedly so.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 10, 2013, 07:59:39 pm by River Don »

I've been a film extra in a number of films including V for Vendetta where I was one of the V's. Also was in Children of men. I'm the last soilder in the entire filhm. Clip was used at the Oscars.

Out of that lot I'd say the appearance in V for Vendetta. It is a film that will endure.

Ian Brown isn't the only musician I have met, I used to play five a side in West London, one night the game on the next door pitch included Ant and Dec and Robbie Williams. I got changed in the same changing rooms as that lot, not much to boast about but I suspect many ladies would have loved that opportunity.

RD

So who are the other musicians you have met?

Laughs, I concede those 3 might not be musicians.

I have also met Bez from the Happy Mondays, he DOES play the maracas!

The most talented musician I have met though is Graham Fellows a.k.a John Shuttleworth. He can really play the electronic keyboard.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012