Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:32:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: License to thrill...  (Read 12667 times)

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
Re: License to thrill...
« Reply #30 on April 20, 2013, 08:35:25 pm by ponte_ricky »
great educated response.

gotta love people's enthusiasm on here. have we not had a great season regardless of if the team second or third? if you don't like it no one is forcing you to put your money into going to the games.

and as your name suggests, isn't the overall attitude of this club supposed to be 'pub team having a laugh'? certainly seem to have forgotten about that.

I also gotta say, i think a lot of people on here got way too carried away and expected that we were going to win today and that we'd already won the league.

no wonder you're dissapointed.

Rant over, theres still a lot of positives

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

« Reply #31 on April 20, 2013, 08:36:07 pm by pubteam »
I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan but where were you last Saturday Pubteam? What did Flynny do wrong last Saturday that needed your wrath

I was at Crewe last Saturday mate.

He made a good decision last week bringing Paynter on. At no point did I claim he wasn't capable of making good decisions, I just don't think he makes enough of them!

I've not been convinced by Flynn for a long while now, and I've been consistent in thinking/saying so.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 20, 2013, 08:40:35 pm by dickos1 »
We're you on here praising his decision making just as quick as you were tonight calling him a clueless bas**rd??

pubteam

« Reply #33 on April 20, 2013, 08:41:20 pm by pubteam »
We're you on here praising his decision making just as quick as you were tonight calling him a clueless bas**rd??

No. It takes longer to get home from Crewe than Doncaster.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 20, 2013, 08:41:31 pm by CusworthRovers »
I wasn't doubting your attendance chief, just your judgement.

In essence then you feel Flynny got it right last week and made the right decisions, therefore he can do it is effectively what you are saying.

The thing is, he isn't going to make the right decisions every week, we are not going to win every week. If he/we did, we would be winning The Champions League in 3yrs and then winning it every year

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 20, 2013, 08:43:40 pm by Akinfenwa »
It can't be bad luck that we "miss loads of chances", not over 19 games.

How many times do we not turn up for the first half, go behind, then create (and miss) a load of hurried half chances then giving folk the excuses like 'if we'd have scored those chances' and 'we were unlucky'? Sorry but I don't buy it.

Scoring just over one goal a game (1.16) under Flynn simply isn't good enough, there are sides in the bottom third that are scoring at a better rate. He has the same squad (if not a better one) that Saunders got scoring at a rate of 1.5 goals per game so there can be no excuses.

pubteam

« Reply #36 on April 20, 2013, 08:44:42 pm by pubteam »

In essence then you feel Flynny got it right last week and made the right decisions, therefore he can do it is effectively what you are saying.

The thing is, he isn't going to make the right decisions every week, we are not going to win every week. If he/we did, we would be winning The Champions League in 3yrs and then winning it every year

I'm not convinced by him as a manager.

You lot think he's good, and won't be swayed by the occasions when he makes a bad decision. I don't rate him, so why would I be swayed on my overall opinion on him on the occasion when he makes a good decision? That'd make me fickle, and then I'd be criticised for that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 20, 2013, 08:45:09 pm by GazLaz »
It's taken Bournemouth to win 8 in a row for them to overtake Brian's Barmy Army, he can't have done that badly.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 20, 2013, 08:46:27 pm by MachoMadness »
We were all saying before the game what a headache Flynn had with the strikers after the Crewe game. Of course it looks like he made the wrong choice now, because we've lost. How many people were grumbling about Brown and Paynter before kick off today?

Not saying he got things right today, I think his subs were woeful and really we lost the game when Syers went on, and fair enough if you don't rate him anyway, but I don't think many would have faulted his selection before the game.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 20, 2013, 08:53:28 pm by ponte_ricky »

I'm not convinced by him as a manager.

You lot think he's good, and won't be swayed by the occasions when he makes a bad decision. I don't rate him, so why would I be swayed on my overall opinion on him on the occasion when he makes a good decision? That'd make me fickle, and then I'd be criticised for that.

Never said you should, you are entitled to an opinion.

what particularly got me is that you said you hate him and that he is a clueless bas**rd. Idiotic response.

I think the team are playing some good football. Ok i can't get to quite as many games as i'd like because i live in Manchester but i think he's got them playing good football that is so much more enjoyable to watch than when deano was in charge. the issue seems to be that we need some better strikers in the summer.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 20, 2013, 08:55:22 pm by CusworthRovers »
What are we going to say about Flynn if we get promoted 
What are we going to say about Flynn if we get promoted as champions

That's very much a reality guys.

Can we still call him clueless, a bas**rd, etc etc

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 20, 2013, 09:01:55 pm by Akinfenwa »

That's what makes a good manager though isn't it? The ability to make good decisions at a better rate than others.

No one is expecting the correct decisions every week, just more often than every other game with our form seemingly averaging WLWLW recently. Results are erratic and we can't string wins together, which is no surprise given that Flynn seems to get as many wrong as often as he gets it right which I don't think is good enough for promotion hopefuls.

He gets some right obviously, like at Crewe. That single example doesn't prove much. A chimp would probably get a few decisions right over the course of a season by chance. Even Steve Cotterill might make a good decision or two. That doesn't mean that he'd be an ideal candidate for the managers job even though he proved that he "could do it" once.

The stats show that Flynn has a worse record of making good decisions than the previous guy with the same team. A guy who a lot thought was an idiot. And that concerns me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:06:11 pm by Akinfenwa »

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 20, 2013, 09:03:40 pm by Mr1Croft »
I dont think hes doing worse than Saunders did last season. I couldnt stand him and thought a top ten was the best we could hope for this season and he proved me wrong when given the chance. My opinion is if we get promoted then Flynn should be given the same chance.

Brian knows best!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 20, 2013, 09:07:55 pm by CusworthRovers »

That's what makes a good manager though isn't it? The ability to make good decisions at a better rate than others.

No one is expecting the correct decisions every week, just more often than every other game with our form seemingly averaging WLWLW recently. Results are erratic and we can't string wins together, which is no surprise given that Flynn seems to get as many wrong as often as he gets it right which I don't think is good enough for promotion hopefuls.

He gets some right obviously, like at Crewe. That single example doesn't prove much. A chimp would probably get a few decisions right over the course of a season by chance. Even Steve Cotterill might make a good decision or two. That doesn't mean that he'd be an ideal candidate for the managers job even though he proved that he "could do it" once.

Yes he could get it right once, so with the ying and yang effect he entitled to get it wrong once.

I think he's got it right more than wrong in his tenure and as said, if he gives us promotion and even gives us the title, then what are we supposed to think of him then.
Like I said, I'm not saying he's the best we've had, but for me he's more than enough 'doing the business for us'

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 20, 2013, 09:12:49 pm by River Don »
If we do get promoted, how can we sack the manager who delivered that?

Let's get to the end of the season before debating the qualities of Brian Flynn.

pubteam

« Reply #45 on April 20, 2013, 09:13:23 pm by pubteam »

Let's get to the end of the season before debating the qualities of Brian Flynn.

We don't have to sack anyone. His contract is up.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 20, 2013, 09:14:06 pm by hoolahoop »
He seems a nice fella and genuine to all intents and purposes but a permanent manager ?.... the jury is still out for me, I've yet to be convinced.

My thoughts entirely, I'm just glad that the season is drawing to a close. The decision not to play Hume today was criminal tactically and unforgiveable.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 20, 2013, 09:17:13 pm by ravenrover »
My old workmates 9 year old grandson sits in front of me and he asked the question "when is one of our players going to shoot from the edge of the box instead of just passing it on?" I couldn't answer him can anyone else?
You don't score if you don't shoot!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 20, 2013, 09:19:25 pm by wilts rover »
I wasn't at the game today, so wont comment too much. However if you are going to play Brown and Paynter together you need to give them the service, crosses in the box. They aren't going to run 30 yards from a flick-on. Was the team today set-up to give the best service to Paynter & Brown? That's where the managers' judgement comes in.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 20, 2013, 09:19:44 pm by River Don »

Alright, fail to reward him with a new contract then.

pubteam

« Reply #50 on April 20, 2013, 09:21:04 pm by pubteam »

Alright, fail to reward him with a new contract then.

Raises the question (if we go up) - will we have gone up because of Flynn, or in spite of him?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 20, 2013, 09:23:54 pm by River Don »
My old workmates 9 year old grandson sits in front of me and he asked the question "when is one of our players going to shoot from the edge of the box instead of just passing it on?" I couldn't answer him can anyone else?
You don't score if you don't shoot!

Scoring from a shot at the edge of the box is relatively difficult skill. We do take them but usually they are wasted. Instead they try and create a more clear cut chance.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 20, 2013, 09:25:17 pm by CusworthRovers »
I wasn't at the game today, so wont comment too much. However if you are going to play Brown and Paynter together you need to give them the service, crosses in the box. They aren't going to run 30 yards from a flick-on. Was the team today set-up to give the best service to Paynter & Brown? That's where the managers' judgement comes in.

IMO yes it was. There was little point in trying to play through the middle due to the pitch, so there were a great many long balls for the 2 forwards who IMO were probably best to deal with the pitch. We played it through the middle when we could, but it was seldom and not worth it. Browny won about 60% of the headers, but they came to no fruition. Our wingers were closed down and 2'd up on, but that said, and for the first time for the full game, our delivery from wide wasn't up to scratch, but we tried and tried. The game plan was right, but wasn't executed by the players as good as they have done previously.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 20, 2013, 09:26:40 pm by Akinfenwa »
Yes he could get it right once, so with the ying and yang effect he entitled to get it wrong once.

I think he's got it right more than wrong in his tenure and as said, if he gives us promotion and even gives us the title, then what are we supposed to think of him then.
Like I said, I'm not saying he's the best we've had, but for me he's more than enough 'doing the business for us'

Not really, I'd expect a half decent manager to get the majority of decisions right. I don't think he does hence form dropping under him and WLWL form. That's the ability in question. And like I said in my edit above - the stats suggest to me that Flynn has a worse record of making good decisions than the previous guy with the same team. A guy who a lot thought was an idiot. And that concerns me whether we go up or not.

It's fact that form has dropped since he's been in charge, if he'd have maintained that (give or take) then I wouldn't be concerned and we'd have lifted the trophy by now. That's what he can be judged on as to whether he's convinced me that he's the right choice or not, by showing signs that he's a good manager by maintaining the good form from before his tenure. And not whether we stumble over the finish line with him in charge due to other teams dropping off as well. While it would be a good achievement for the club it doesn't make me think, 'yes he's the best choice for the job' which is what we're talking about here. He was given a 6 month deal to prove he's the club's best option and I don't think he's done that from what I've seen.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 20, 2013, 09:26:51 pm by sheffield exile1 »
My big concern with him is his inertia on team selection.

Basically, when we win, he keeps the side that did the job. When we lose, he changes. That smacks of playing by numbers.

Our problem for much of the season has been having the nous or bit of the devil to break open well organised defensive sides at home. Away, we have the power and drive to hit teams on the break when we get more space. We will get chances and the issue then is sticking them away.

To me, it is therefore blindingly obvious that Hume is a home-type player for this side. He does the unexpected and he gives defenders a torrid time. He unsettles defences. Paynter is more of a box player, picking up chances.

So what have we done for the last 3 games? Kept Hume on the bench at home and started him away. Played Paynter at hom,e today after keeping him on the bench last Satdi.

I have seen nothing from Flynn that gives me any impression that he is a tactician. And in the final analysis, that looks like costing us. The squad he inherited was far, far better than one that has picked up 12 points in the final 9 home games of the season. That is relegation home form and is simply unacceptable from a squad of the ability that ours has. The finger clearly points at the boss.
We were poor no change in the game plan even when bennett and Hulme came on, so tactically inept in my opinion, biggest stakes in my opinion for this season....didn't happen.... fact

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 20, 2013, 09:32:11 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
All this chuffing negative nonsense about Flynn gets on my t*its! For heavens sake, after 45 games we were only one goal, yes one miserable goal, from going up. Brentford drew this evening, so what would have been the reaction if today's score had been reversed? Best manager we've had for years? Give him 5-year contract? I could go on, but won't. Talk about fickle fans  :headbang:

I'm going out to get pi**ed!

pubteam

« Reply #56 on April 20, 2013, 09:35:50 pm by pubteam »
All this chuffing negative nonsense about Flynn gets on my t*its! For heavens sake, after 45 games we were only one goal, yes one miserable goal, from going up. Brentford drew this evening, so what would have been the reaction if today's score had been reversed? Best manager we've had for years? Give him 5-year contract? I could go on, but won't. Talk about fickle fans  :headbang:

It's only fickle if you thought he was brilliant last week, but not this week now we've lost. I didn't. I've been consistent in my views on him for over a month.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 20, 2013, 09:44:58 pm by dickos1 »

It's only fickle if you thought he was brilliant last week, but not this week now we've lost. I didn't. I've been consistent in my views on him for over a month.

Over a month you say. Thus meaning you came to the conclusion after 7 or 8 games that he is clueless.
Your comments on Flynn are the same comments you were arguing against when Saunders was here.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on April 20, 2013, 09:47:44 pm by The Red Baron »
I have to say that my doubts began to surface after we lost to Walsall- when he said he'd sorted out the problems after we'd lost the week before.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 20, 2013, 09:48:16 pm by BobG »
What's bothering me is not so much the result today tbh. It's our failure, over the last several weeks, to get a single point from Notts County, Bury, Walsall, Carlisle & MK away. That says to me that either we are not a particularly good team at all - in which case the judgement that says 'Rovers are the best team in the league' is all to pot, or, there is something wrong with the way we are playing. Hmmm. 1 point from any one of those matches would have made a shed load of difference now.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012