Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:39:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Ryan on Football Heaven tonight  (Read 6206 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: John Ryan on Football Heaven tonight
« Reply #1 on April 24, 2013, 10:46:58 pm by The L J Monk »
Based on John's repeated evasion of the question, I'd be amazed if Flynn is in charge next season, promotion or no promotion.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 24, 2013, 11:16:57 pm by hoolahoop »
Based on John's repeated evasion of the question, I'd be amazed if Flynn is in charge next season, promotion or no promotion.

Thought the same myself monkey when hearing the way he carefully (for a change) evaded the direct and indirect questions about his future.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 24, 2013, 11:17:17 pm by MiKA »
I would say that Flynn lost them job for sure after we lost on Saturday, I really do hope that he stays on as our scout though but I doubt it.

pubteam

« Reply #4 on April 24, 2013, 11:25:15 pm by pubteam »
Perhaps he doesn't know. Watson and Bramall have a say too, after all.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 24, 2013, 11:32:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not really fair to speculate is it?

graemedrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 25, 2013, 07:45:12 am by graemedrfc »
I think it's a valid topic of discussion. Why wouldn't it be? Dick and Terry will make their decision in due course and John will let us know. If we get promoted I believe they will bring someone else in.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 25, 2013, 08:04:43 am by Donnyjim »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01708q0/Football_Heaven_24_04_2013/ (fast forward to 19m40s)

What an incredibly strange interview? And strangely timed?

I've just heard it and it wasn’t great. Just before one the biggest games in our history?

We should be getting behind the manager. John was put on the spot and his answers were found wanting I’m afraid.

If you put yourself in Brian’s shoes, it smacks of, your damned if you do and your damned if you don’t. How unmotivated must he feel going into Saturday?

I sincerely hope John was immediately on the phone to Brian after the interview?

I’m just wondering whether we really really want this promotion, behind the scenes?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2013, 08:09:55 am by IDM »
Of course we do!!

Bigger crowds, more TV money, more exposure etc.

I don't get the impression that BF will be upset at all by this interview.  He knew from the start his appointment was temporary (initially) and has been around the game long enough not to be too worried.  Assuming we win promotion then he'll be in the frame for sure. 

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2013, 08:22:41 am by Donnyjim »
Of course we do!!

I don't get the impression that BF will be upset at all by this interview.  He knew from the start his appointment was temporary (initially) and has been around the game long enough not to be too worried.  Assuming we win promotion then he'll be in the frame for sure. 

Hopefully, IDM! But put yourself in Brian's shoes. Your employer says "You have this massively important piece of work to do for us. If you achieve it you might have the job, but you might not".

Can you feel the motivation flowing through your veins??? Not.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 25, 2013, 08:42:35 am by adge »
the very same scenario for the majority of the players too...think about it

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 25, 2013, 08:46:02 am by GazLaz »
Are you saying Flynn isn't motivated? He's not working in a call centre he's a football manager! He will be desperate for promotion.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 25, 2013, 08:46:27 am by Donnyjim »
the very same scenario for the majority of the players too...think about it

True. Brentford 3 Doncaster 0, is still 16-1, it maybe worth £5, given all of these facts.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 25, 2013, 08:49:01 am by nice one rovers »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01708q0/Football_Heaven_24_04_2013/ (fast forward to 19m40s)

I've just heard it and it wasn’t great. Just before one the biggest games in our history?

We should be getting behind the manager. John was put on the spot and his answers were found wanting I’m afraid.

If you put yourself in Brian’s shoes, it smacks of, your damned if you do and your damned if you don’t. How unmotivated must he feel going into Saturday?

I sincerely hope John was immediately on the phone to Brian after the interview?

I’m just wondering whether we really really want this promotion, behind the scenes?

My thoughts exactly.
JR seemed to be caught totally offguard by that simple question which he must have known they would have asked.
I can only assume that behind the scenes BF knows he's only here 'til the end of the season.
If that was my gaffer being asked if my job was safe, I'd be buying some mortgage protection insurance today.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 25, 2013, 09:04:15 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm sure the board will have a plan, I know my mind is made up on where we should go on the current manager so I'm sure theirs is.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 25, 2013, 09:12:06 am by Spud »
I'm with IDM tbh, don't think that there was any illusion of it being anything but an appointment for this season then re-assess the situation.
I'd like to see BF here in some capacity next season given the quality of players he's recruited.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 25, 2013, 09:15:03 am by BobG »
I'm not so sure about anyone being let down tbh. The decision is not one for John to make alone whilst on live radio. Yes. The Board will have discussed it I'm sure. But clearly, no one is going to make any decision at all until they know where we're going to be next year. So, when he's asked the question, what can John say? Nothing. It's not in his power to do so. So, 'wait and see' is what you should expect and 'wait and see' is what we got.

Even agreeing the terms of a contract with either BF or any new manager can't really be done yet - unless they all went down a very complex route indeed. Just how much are we going to pay BF next year - if he stays? Why go to all the trouble of contracting on the basis of 'what ifs' when waiting a couple of weeks will make it entirely irrelevant?

BobG

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 25, 2013, 09:17:36 am by Rovers Return »
Of course we do!!

Hopefully, IDM! But put yourself in Brian's shoes. Your employer says "You have this massively important piece of work to do for us. If you achieve it you might have the job, but you might not".

Can you feel the motivation flowing through your veins??? Not.

If Brian Flynn or any other manager or player is not self motivated then we don't want them anyway. Ambitious people motivate themselves especially when against the odds. If Brian is now sat in his kitchen feeling sorry for himself and thinking 'Well I'm not going to try then". Well he's not the man for the job or any other managers job then.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 25, 2013, 09:40:09 am by dickos1 »
He was asked the same question at the forum last week, with Brian sat next to him and he answered it exactly the same.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 25, 2013, 09:40:30 am by PDX_Rover »
Spot on Bob G.

As for being in Flynny's shoes... Would any of us fit?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 25, 2013, 10:01:59 am by Norfolk N Chance »

Cos Flynn not the man is he?

We wanted continuity but havent had this have we?

Basic stuff like not playing Hume and Paynter together?

Harper and keegan together?

He has made loads of f**k ups!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 25, 2013, 10:07:45 am by dickos1 »
I don't think he had any alternative at the time but to play harper with Keegan.
We've missed Keegan while he's been out.
It's all about opinions, and I wouldn't play paynter n Hume together, especially on sat, we need someone to hold the ball up, it's critical that we have that upfront, and only brown has that ability and strength.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 25, 2013, 10:12:13 am by Norfolk N Chance »
I don't think he had any alternative at the time but to play harper with Keegan.
We've missed Keegan while he's been out.
It's all about opinions, and I wouldn't play paynter n Hume together, especially on sat, we need someone to hold the ball up, it's critical that we have that upfront, and only brown has that ability and strength.

Best forward line by a mile!

Brown good on his own but very poor with the other two!

Paynter / Hume have a fantastic understanding !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 25, 2013, 10:15:10 am by dickos1 »
Horses for courses.
Saturday were gonna be under the cosh, so we need someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.
Browny is the only option to do that,
I'd play Hume just behind and helping in midfield, with his work rate, closing people down.
Paynter to come off the bench if we need a goal

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 25, 2013, 10:27:09 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Horses for courses.
Saturday were gonna be under the cosh, so we need someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.
Browny is the only option to do that,
I'd play Hume just behind and helping in midfield, with his work rate, closing people down.
Paynter to come off the bench if we need a goal

We need an attacking outlet otherwise the pressure will tell!

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 25, 2013, 10:34:18 am by oggycompton »
Would just like to jump in here and say I know for a fact that Brian is extremely motivated by the task at hand and is also very very keen to have the job next season. As for whether he will or not... that remains to be seen.

More importantly we should get behind the team as all these distractions do not help anyone.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 25, 2013, 10:54:27 am by Dare to dream! »
I think we would get a lot of bad PR if we did go up on Saturday and then decided to change manager

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 25, 2013, 11:05:51 am by IDM »

Cos Flynn not the man is he?

We wanted continuity but havent had this have we?

Basic stuff like not playing Hume and Paynter together?

Harper and keegan together?

He has made loads of f*** ups!

For a manager to have continued where his predecessor left off, and to have taken us to within a point of promotion and still in with a possibility of winning the league title, I'd take a few "f*** ups" along the way!

What do you want, the moon on a stick???

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 25, 2013, 11:34:33 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we would get a lot of bad PR if we did go up on Saturday and then decided to change manager

So what?  Many have done it.  The key for me is that the board make a decision based on all the evidence they have.  If they like Flynn's plan they stick with him.  I'm massively concerned about him tactically and still think he'd be a better DOF with a young coach doing tactics etc underneath him.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 25, 2013, 05:44:16 pm by silent majority »
He signed a contact which expires the day after the last game of the season, he knew exactly where he stood. Quite a few of the players contracts also expire and they will be wanting to know how they stand. They are fully aware that contract talks will begin after we know what division we will be in next season. How can you do it any differently?

Not only that but the players want to get away on holiday!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012