Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:25:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Which goal is THAT goal

WHITMAN v Chester
SIR FRANCIS v Daggers
HAYTER v Leeds
COPPINGER v Brentford

Author Topic: 'THAT' goal  (Read 3278 times)

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
'THAT' goal
« on May 01, 2013, 03:53:14 pm by drfcbenny625 »
With so many history defining goals in our recent history, which one do you refer as THAT goal?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BK29

• Forum Member
Re: 'THAT' goal
« Reply #1 on May 01, 2013, 03:55:21 pm by BK29 »
The Franny goal... That will ALWAYS be the greatest day/match/goal in our history.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 01, 2013, 03:58:09 pm by rtid88 »
Wow we really have been blessed with some exciting times in recent years! We as fans really shud stop are moaning at times when you think of those 4 goals alone! But yeah for me its got to be Sir Frannys!!

:scarf:

atick45

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 01, 2013, 04:09:07 pm by atick45 »
Whitmans as without that one we wouldn't have had the others :rtid:

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 01, 2013, 04:14:51 pm by afro goal machine »
Whitmans as without that one we wouldn't have had the others :rtid:

the Barnes one in the following leg i was bang behind the goal when that went in

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 01, 2013, 04:15:26 pm by the vicar »
With out the Whitman goal there would not have been a Franny goal so i say that is the goal

BK29

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 01, 2013, 04:17:02 pm by BK29 »
Without all those other goals leading up to Whitman's goal, none of the 4 goals would've happened, so i say those ones.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 01, 2013, 04:24:02 pm by IDM »
Hayter's for me.  For the simple reason that it was the only one I was there for.  I missed the others for a variety of reasons.

Plus, that took us into the 2nd tier for the first time in 50 years.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 01, 2013, 05:13:06 pm by mutleyrover »
Sir Francis for me.  That was the "Golden Goal!"

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 01, 2013, 05:18:10 pm by Muttley »
Hayter's for me as that took us to Div 2/"Championship", a level that I'd previously not seen Rovers play at. And for those of us who grew up watching Rovers in the 70s, 80s and 90s it finally gave us "bragging rights" over the Donny Whites.

All the others were just putting right previous wrongs and disappointments.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 01, 2013, 05:22:49 pm by LincsRover »
I can't really disagree with any of the above, but I wasn't there for the Whitman goal (work commitments meant I had no option but to miss it!) and I know that in the history of Rovers the others may be more pivotal and important....... BUT.....I have to go for Copp's goal at Brentford, just for the total drama, the agony followed by the ecstasy, the fans reaction, the fact we got mentions on News at Ten, MOTD and MOTD2 & Newsnight, and that we ended up Champions!

The others were great moments, great goals; but Brentford was unique!

:rtid: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2013, 05:38:44 pm by not on facebook »
if you are holding a gun to me head i have to say barnes at chester.

would like to say the golden goal against daggenham at stoke,but was in a holding
cell next to the ground.

funny how police broke their necks to come into cells and say that daggenham had just
won,but it did not look right to us as we could all see the daggers fans streaming out of
ground with long faces from cell windows.

not like the police to tell fibs is it

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2013, 06:11:53 pm by glosterred »
I dare say there will be a few on here that do not know what the Whitman goal is and what it means and why it is so important to the club and the fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5NE73HSrI

COYR

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 01, 2013, 06:14:48 pm by Donnywolf »
Sir Francis for me.  That was the "Golden Goal!"
[/quote

If that is a single maggot designed to get a bite from someone saying it was a Promotion Goal ..... well it worked !

For the record whatever it was called (though I have provided evidence that it WAS called Promotion Goal) it was for me THE GOAL as asked in the thread

However I am quite sure that Copps goal on Saturday will become the Rovers goal that TV and most people will remember in the years to come especially when there is a close finish to any Season in the future

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 01, 2013, 06:18:26 pm by afro goal machine »
I dare say there will be a few on here that do not know what the Whitman goal is and what it means and why it is so important to the club and the fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5NE73HSrI

COYR

thanks for posting that glosterred. I was at that game but didn't realise it was an eighteen yard screamer, i remember Whitman being more of a poacher. Fantastic goal

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 01, 2013, 06:21:36 pm by Donnywolf »
Ditto for me ... I was there and had forgotten what a great goal it was and a real launch pad for the rise and rise of DRFC

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 01, 2013, 06:23:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

In the context of the game, you might remember who scored their goal earlier. Didn't leave us on the best of terms when he plumped to join Chester instead of staying with us. The 'revenge' equaliser meant a little bit more. 

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 01, 2013, 06:39:49 pm by Mark DRFC »
kevin "judas"Mcintyre
funny sticking it too him in the away leg at the Diva too :)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 01, 2013, 06:46:55 pm by drfc1951 »
How many times has it been said on here,that Mcintyre went back to the northwest because his father was dying.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 01, 2013, 06:48:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Beat me to it DRFC1951. I believe it was with the blessing of the club as well.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 01, 2013, 07:20:39 pm by turnbull for england »
Tristams goal for me , really didnt fancy Chester over two legs in the first place and going to their place needing to overturn a deficit was'nt a good idea.

I really do believe that was the start of it all, that goal gave us the belief that things like Saturday  were possible, that we werent just gallant losers

Bear in mind  bar the conference trophy against a side who did well to turn up, the nearest thing I seen to winning something in 15 years was Kevin Noteman celebrating a goal he'd forgotten to actually score in the Leyland DAF trophy

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 01, 2013, 07:30:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
How many times has it been said on here,that Mcintyre went back to the northwest because his father was dying.

All this time, I never knew that!

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 01, 2013, 10:11:41 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Seems to be between Copps and Sir Fran

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 01, 2013, 11:10:44 pm by DadsleyRover »
I know and saw all these goals but Copps goal was so unusual that it ranks the top spot for me.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 01, 2013, 11:28:05 pm by Mr1Croft »
I dont think any goal scored by any team could top the Copps goal. The 30 seconds previous put us through every emotion. We had given up. John Ryan said the Footballing Gods were against us. Brian Flynn said to Wilson and Williams that we were finished. Paynter put his shirt over his head. The Brentford fans were celebrating like they had already won it.

30 seconds later and the world had been turned on its head and Doncaster Rovers were Champions of League One. You just cant level that. I know the SFT goal meant so much to us as a club but for pure drama, surprise and heart attack type finish to the game, you cant top Saturday.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 02, 2013, 12:08:40 am by BobG »
That's about the best argument I've seen on this. I vote with you Crofty.

BobG

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 02, 2013, 12:22:06 am by andysly »
Copp's goal although maybe not as pivotal as we were already going to go up after the penalty miss must be the one.
This was the goal that got national news talking about it, if this had been a premier league game it would already be hailed as more dramatic than Michael Thomas's and Aguero's last minute title winners.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 02, 2013, 03:57:50 am by RoversAlias »
To be fair, it already HAS been hailed as more dramatic than Thomas and Aguero, if only by BBC Late Kick Off.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 02, 2013, 09:44:30 am by BigKeif »
Sir Franny's goal is the most important in my eyes as that is the reason we are where we are today. Always be grateful to that man but also always grateful to Copps before and even more after that goal.

Reckon can rename Copps 'Sir Copps'? ;)

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 02, 2013, 01:23:13 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Dead heat. Looks like we have two THAT goal(s)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012