Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:47:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: can we stay up next year??  (Read 3764 times)

Xtrarover

• Forum Member
can we stay up next year??
« on May 18, 2013, 07:03:12 pm by Xtrarover »
So what you think, we're going in to the championship as new thriving candidates! Why do you think we need to do?

Do we need a
New keeper
New defender
Change midfielder
Change up front for quick striker!!

I personally think we don't need to reinvent but change there areas above slightly

The main team last year had power and aggression to succeed

so what do you really think we to change to enable to stay up?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Red wizard

• VSC Member
Re: can we stay up next year??
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2013, 07:11:45 pm by Red wizard »
Add to what we have. Players with the same determination as those who wore the hoops this year.  This side is very good without the ball and if we can find the right players to make us a little better with it then we could do better than a lot are tipping imo.
 As we have seen over the years in the championship you need to be strong. How many times did we get bullied out of games? We now we will be the one been the bullie. I think a steady 12-17 place.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 18, 2013, 07:23:31 pm by RoversAlias »
I think we can stay up, the following are the key areas I'd try to address in the summer transfer market.

Goalkeeper
Centre Half
Centre Midfield (though if we sign Furman and Lundstram again we'll be fine)
Pacey Striker

Xtrarover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 18, 2013, 07:45:51 pm by Xtrarover »
I just really hope the owners put enough in to stay up..

It difficult to get here so this is it.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2013, 08:11:27 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Yes and we can get promoted at this stage anythings possible. Get the right players who want to play for each other and the manager as this season proved, let's be honest the majority of us would have been happy with 10th at the beginning of the season.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2013, 09:04:49 pm by hoolahoop »
Yes definitely and I would hope for a top half finish too with the right additions.  :rtid:

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2013, 10:31:46 pm by normal rules »
not taking anything away from the team this year, we just need to strengthen the backbone with a top class keeper, faster centre half, central midfielder and someone who will get us 10-20 goals on their own.

to get all these and for them to gel and play like the team have this year is a big ask.

ill settle for a solid , reliable confidence inspiring keeper and a goal machine. the bit in the middle could be ok as it is.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2013, 10:56:53 pm by BobG »
Crikey. There's some optimists around! Normal Rules suggests we need 4 high quality players - one of them a striker. How much is that lot going to cost? In wages? In fees?

I'd be chuffed to bits if we finish 20th.

BobG

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2013, 11:07:26 pm by hoolahoop »
Crikey. There's some optimists around! Normal Rules suggests we need 4 high quality players - one of them a striker. How much is that lot going to cost? In wages? In fees?

BobG

Did we need to be negative the last time we were promoted Bob ? If memory serves me right we finished 16th.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2013, 11:40:19 pm by RoversAlias »
Nearly...we did even better than that and came 14th!

pubteam

« Reply #10 on May 18, 2013, 11:48:18 pm by pubteam »

BobG

Did we need to be negative the last time we were promoted Bob ? If memory serves me right we finished 16th.

Remember last year when we had no money and were dead certs to slide back down to League Two as well?  :whistle:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 18, 2013, 11:51:41 pm by BobG »
Negative? There's a reasonable consensus on here that, as a minimum, Rovers need a decent goalie, a CM, a quick CH and a forward. I hope we get the lot. How much will they cost? Can we afford the lot of 'em? Can you see our current two CH's coping? Or the midfield?

Like I said, 20th would be good enough. Anything better than that is fab.

BobG

pubteam

« Reply #12 on May 18, 2013, 11:54:14 pm by pubteam »
Negative? There's a reasonable consensus on here that, as a minimum, Rovers need a decent goalie, a CM, a quick CH and a forward. I hope we get the lot. How much will they cost? Can we afford the lot of 'em? Can you see our current two CH's coping? Or the midfield?

Like I said, 20th would be good enough. Anything better than that is fab.

BobG

What about 21st?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 18, 2013, 11:54:53 pm by BobG »
I was being generous! And optimistic!!

Cheers

BobG

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 19, 2013, 12:02:21 am by les@donr »
yes, next question.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 19, 2013, 12:39:13 am by dickos1 »
No.. Lets not bother trying..
Waste of time

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 19, 2013, 01:04:02 am by Bentley Bullet »
I think that we have about as much chance as Hull city surviving in the Premiership. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 19, 2013, 01:08:55 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Why does everyone bang on about a quick centre half? I'd much rather have a centre half who can read the game and work a striker out. We play deep anyway so pace isnt necessarily needed. A bit of steel in the middle of the park a solid keeper and another forward for competitive issues and I think we'll be find. Long as they fit the bill that is

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 19, 2013, 01:12:59 am by dickos1 »
We have jones who can read the game, but we need pace to cope with strikers that play on the shoulder of the centre halves, the striker quality increases dramatically in this league.
Think we need more pace all over, definitely up front and in the middle of the park

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 19, 2013, 01:56:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I Don't think it's blind optimism ,to think that we are more than capable of staying up IF,we get the right manager and with a few additions to the squad,which won't necessarily mean having to spend anything on fees for players,there will be plenty of good quality free transfers available it's just a case of our club needing to be in quick,before the teams with cash to splash get in there before us.

What additions do we need? for me on the goalkeepers it depends if Maxted has developed much over the past season,or does he need some loan time at a lower league club,can he be relied on if we get a keeper shortage?,for me Sullivan is not an option unless it's an emergency-For me 2 Goalkeepers

Defence i've said it before i wouldn't be happy us going into the Championship,with both our present centre-halfs in the line up,we need a quick centre-half that can cover for either Jones or McCombe when they get caught out for pace,the full backs though not really quick,or both good enough and solid enough to play in the Championship- 1 Centre-half

Midfield As we saw last season without Furman and Lundstram,we couldn't control a game,so we need to get Furman signed up permanent if he isn't already,and Lundstram either permanent(unlikely) or loan,plus we would need an attacking central midfielder,and maybe another winger-3 Centre Midfielders-1 Winger

Forwards We will definitely need a prolific striker,to give us a good chance of staying up,someone with a bit of pace to add to what we already have.-Striker -1

If we can strengthen these positions,it's hard to say not knowing the manager and players coming in,i'd guess we might finish 16/17th.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 19, 2013, 02:02:18 am by BobG »
I hope JR and the shareholders can find a million plus for the striker. They're expensive beasts - unless they 'take a punt' - which might, or might not, work.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 19, 2013, 02:09:27 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Same here Bob,Billy Sharp would be great,but i don't see us going down that road again,it will be quality frees and small potential signings from lower down,and a loan or two.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 19, 2013, 09:07:59 am by colincramb »
I think the idea we are going to get a proven goalscorer at championship level
Is fantasy. It won't take place. The good ones wont be on a free! You're looking at a minimum of a million. Sharp cost us over that and he wasn't exactly prolific at that level previously. I think the best route to go down here is a loan

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 19, 2013, 09:14:10 am by Donnyrovers »
Why does everyone bang on about a quick centre half? I'd much rather have a centre half who can read the game and work a striker out. We play deep anyway so pace isnt necessarily needed. A bit of steel in the middle of the park a solid keeper and another forward for competitive issues and I think we'll be find. Long as they fit the bill that is

It's vital we get pace as most teams will get the ball down on the deck, and as soon as an opposition player with pace pulls Jones or McCombe out of position or get running at them one on one we will be in trouble.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 19, 2013, 09:22:11 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I think we can stay up. But not at the expense of us being in massive debt to achieve it. I'd sooner us be a yo yo club.

We're better organised this time and we'll have learnt from our mistakes

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2013, 09:45:04 am by Al4475 »
Sammy Chung was King
"What additions do we need? for me on the goalkeepers it depends if Maxted has developed much over the past season...

...Defence i've said it before i wouldn't be happy us going into the Championship,with both our present centre-halfs in the line up,we need a quick centre-half that can cover for either Jones or McCombe when they get caught out for pace...

...Midfield As we saw last season without Furman and Lundstram,we couldn't control a game,so we need to get Furman signed up permanent if he isn't already,and Lundstram either permanent(unlikely) or loan,plus we would need an attacking central midfielder,and maybe another winger...

...Forwards We will definitely need a prolific striker,to give us a good chance of staying up,someone with a bit of pace to add to what we already have..."

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly - although if we got Furman and Lundstram in again we may not need three midfielders - just the two.

So I'd go if it were possible: Furman, Lundstram, Hume signed on for at least another season.
These lot are just names from the PFA players available list - not much on there yet but one or two maybes that are out of contract at the moment.

At least 1 keeper - Gerken
Centre Half - Kisnorbo
Midfield - Howard
AM/CF Simpson
CF - Vassell

Like I said not much yet but one or two that maybe 'worth a punt' as we are wont to say.

Personally if we could get them I'd be very happy with both Joe Murphy and John Fleck from Coventry who have impressed me a lot this season (Fleck) and consistently over years (Murphy)

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 19, 2013, 03:24:06 pm by streatham dave »
yes we will

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 19, 2013, 04:15:14 pm by Jersey Rover »
With the right LOANS we will. Can never compete money wise for the proven players. Will need to rely heavily on loan players coming in and paying a percentage of their wages. Jr's set this out inbetween the lines really by the way we have been searching for the new manager stipulating that the new manager" Must have good contacts in the Game". Quite a shrewd move in our position when you think about it with Flynn in the mix too. Hopefully some new, enthusiastic, speedy kids, the up and coming of the Prem, mixed with the experienced lads we already have. Buys us time to build our own youth set up, eventually producing our own players.

Hopeful

steve72

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 19, 2013, 04:47:53 pm by steve72 »
You have no chance of staying up.

Blackpool
Donny
Yeovl

Paul Ince is a shocking manager. and will recruit rubbish players.MK have first hand knowledge of this. Both you and Yeovil have the smallest budgets and very weak squads.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:55:47 pm by steve72 »

pubteam

« Reply #29 on May 19, 2013, 04:49:55 pm by pubteam »
You have no chance of staying up.

Blackpool
Donny
Yeovl

Paul Ince is a shocking manager. and will recruit rubbish players.MK have first and knowledge of this. Both you and Yeovil have the smallest budgets and very weak squads.

We barely have a squad at all. Plenty of comings and goings will happen between now and the season.

You're clearly fishing making such a prediction in mid May.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012