Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:14:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: My meeting with Gavin and Shaun later today  (Read 14657 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: My meeting with Gavin and Shaun later today
« Reply #30 on May 22, 2013, 02:21:07 pm by silent majority »
quick question, sorry if this already taken care of... up until last season i always bought 4 cat A season tickets in the west stand for me, my folks and brother. i rarely attended living abroad but my ticket would be taken by someone if i wasn't around. sadly, my folks decided to ask me not to renew them last season... not because rovers were crap... but because of transport. you see, my mum is fat, old and slow (she doesn't read this so i can say that!), my brother handicapped and my poor step-dad has to manage this. after a game, especially midweek in winter, it's often impossible for my family to get a bus back to town, instead they have to traipse to the pub round the corner (a long way considering my mum and bro's issues) and order a cab (extra expense). any chance of a special (regular/reliable) service back to town or specific drop off points for season ticket holders?

unfortunately, the rovers lost 4 season ticket holders i was happy to continue funding because of transport. if things have improved, can the club contact my mum to explain/win her attendance back?

Its on my list.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 22, 2013, 02:23:59 pm by redbrez »
Any chance of the club promoting season tickets?
Advertiments in the paper radio? Handing leaflets  out to schools , someone promoting the rovers on a mini stall in the frenchgate, sure there are better ways of marketing, but lets push as much information into the people of doncaster ?
Now we have Gavin would he be prepared to look at the marketing booklet  (? ) what the fans made years ago .
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:14:34 pm by redbrez »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 22, 2013, 02:32:11 pm by River Don »
Here's an idea...

Different fans play the music at the stadium on a match by match basis. It could be done by raffle or just a simple email entry.

Are you serious?  :whistle:

Why not? At Bramall Lane fans used to be able to purchase a selection of pre-match music to be dedicated for Birthday celebrations and such.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 22, 2013, 02:39:38 pm by wilts rover »
SM

Any chance of bringing up the museum/stadium branding/wall of legends - how is this going and how can the fans be involved.

FYI Brighton are spending £200k on theirs

Wilts,

I though I'd answered this on the forum. The club asked this question in the last survey, which is what we're discussing later, and they are applying for heritage funding. I'll give out more detail as I get it.

Jenny,

Not our money, they give grants for this kind of thing if you present it correctly.

Thanks SM - wont hurt to push it though - look at the interest on here in the past couple of days with the various threads.
If I can be of any help please PM - got a couple of bids for similar things going through at the moment

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 22, 2013, 02:46:23 pm by VivaRovers »
But there is one area that it massively lacks behind in - and that's a regular and half-decent commentator... Last season we basically had to rely on a rag-tag bag of volunteers.

Ouch!

Though I'd agree the Media Dept appears to be underfunded in some areas causing an over-reliance on volunteers.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 22, 2013, 02:49:23 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Here's an idea...

Different fans play the music at the stadium on a match by match basis. It could be done by raffle or just a simple email entry.

Why not? At Bramall Lane fans used to be able to purchase a selection of pre-match music to be dedicated for Birthday celebrations and such.

Thanks for the support! :) It's sad to see ideas treated with contempt by the establishment. Replying to the poster rather than the post...

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2013, 02:52:04 pm by River Don »
Here's an idea...

Thanks for the support! :) It's sad to see ideas treated with contempt by the establishment. Replying to the poster rather than the post...

I actually think it's quite a good way for the club to increase revenue a little on a match day.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2013, 02:52:11 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
But there is one area that it massively lacks behind in - and that's a regular and half-decent commentator... Last season we basically had to rely on a rag-tag bag of volunteers.

Ouch!

Though I'd agree the Media Dept appears to be underfunded in some areas causing an over-reliance on volunteers.

The squeaky one could be improved...

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 22, 2013, 02:55:50 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Can we get the breeze blocks on the concourses and in the toilets painted one half red and the other half white?

Chrisd_123

« Reply #39 on May 22, 2013, 02:57:21 pm by Chrisd_123 »

Ouch!

This season saw a few circumstances mean the regular commentators had to stop for various reasons. Me and Danny took over with Glen stepping in when he could and IMO we did ok. Next season there should be more consistency with who will be commentating on the games with, I assume, us 3 again but if it's the case where people don't enjoy it then I'll quite happily step aside. When I started doing it in January I got a lot of stick but I feel we've (me and Danny) become a bit more confident with it and starting to get better at describing the game more. If people don't enjoy it though just let the club know...

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 22, 2013, 02:57:39 pm by ss1953 »
Not sure if this is in Gavin's remit, but I have commented on the mass confusion leaving the car parks after matches in the surveys. Can some thought go into stewarding / traffic directions post match. For example, the car park attendants directing in the car parks and how about making the Alick Jeffrey Way into a one way system for an hour after the match?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 22, 2013, 03:01:12 pm by River Don »
Not sure if this is in Gavin's remit, but I have commented on the mass confusion leaving the car parks after matches in the surveys. Can some thought go into stewarding / traffic directions post match. For example, the car park attendants directing in the car parks and how about making the Alick Jeffrey Way into a one way system for an hour after the match?

At some larger clubs these days they put the Sky results on and leave a couple of food kiosks open at the final whistle. Not a bad way to bring in a little more revenue and allow some people to hang back and avoid the rush.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 22, 2013, 03:03:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I'm not sure they'd fancy that seeing as some have been run over in the past on car park duty.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 22, 2013, 03:06:20 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

Ouch!

This season saw a few circumstances mean the regular commentators had to stop for various reasons. Me and Danny took over with Glen stepping in when he could and IMO we did ok. Next season there should be more consistency with who will be commentating on the games with, I assume, us 3 again but if it's the case where people don't enjoy it then I'll quite happily step aside. When I started doing it in January I got a lot of stick but I feel we've (me and Danny) become a bit more confident with it and starting to get better at describing the game more. If people don't enjoy it though just let the club know...

My comments were in no way directed at any individual. It's a general comment about the whole season. And I can't really criticise anyone who is volunteering. I just think it means the club have not given it enough foresight.

In general, there is one mistake that nearly all the commentators this season made. And that was to talk too fast and try and describe every single detail. And also to fill every moment with commentary or noise. It doesn't work. Listen to how the BBC radio commentators do it - they leave silences and just describe the general play.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #44 on May 22, 2013, 03:20:51 pm by Chrisd_123 »

Ouch!

My comments were in no way directed at any individual. It's a general comment about the whole season. And I can't really criticise anyone who is volunteering. I just think it means the club have not given it enough foresight.

In general, there is one mistake that nearly all the commentators this season made. And that was to talk too fast and try and describe every single detail. And also to fill every moment with commentary or noise. It doesn't work. Listen to how the BBC radio commentators do it - they leave silences and just describe the general play.

I understand you were not making a dig at anyone in particular. I have realised I do speak to quickly though and try to describe too much but I feel both me and Danny are getting better and next season there will be more consistency on Player. We basically got thrown in at the deep end after Tom and Paul both had to stop doing it and I never wanted to go into broadcasting before I started it. Hopefully over pre-season we can iron out any issues and start the new season as well as possible and continue to improve the service for the exiles.

Any feedback is welcome though so don't think I'm one to start crying every time I get a criticism! I do love doing the commentary, it's fun at times and I can't describe how good it was being there at Brentford with Glen and Danny and how good that was. All my point is that if people continue to find the commentary poor then I'll happily step aside.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 22, 2013, 03:36:00 pm by River Don »

Ouch!

I understand you were not making a dig at anyone in particular. I have realised I do speak to quickly though and try to describe too much but I feel both me and Danny are getting better and next season there will be more consistency on Player. We basically got thrown in at the deep end after Tom and Paul both had to stop doing it and I never wanted to go into broadcasting before I started it. Hopefully over pre-season we can iron out any issues and start the new season as well as possible and continue to improve the service for the exiles.

Any feedback is welcome though so don't think I'm one to start crying every time I get a criticism! I do love doing the commentary, it's fun at times and I can't describe how good it was being there at Brentford with Glen and Danny and how good that was. All my point is that if people continue to find the commentary poor then I'll happily step aside.

I shouldn't worry about it Chris. I heard Danny Baker on Radio 5 saying commentating on a football match is one of the most difficult skills in broadcasting. He tried it and hated it.

I think the secret is knowing when to leave space and when the game allows you to break off the action a little and discuss other issues that surround the match.

As with all things, keep at it and you'll improve.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 22, 2013, 05:19:27 pm by Colin C No.3 »
How did it go?

Yours Impatiently.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 22, 2013, 05:22:06 pm by German Rover »
Im an not sure this needs to be done by the VSC or the club, but the visit of Ian Dureden went down well. Is this something we can do more of? Get the past manager/player in the bar before hand and maybe on the pitch at half time to do the raffle draw or something.

Well as you know we (VSC) organised the Ian Duerden trip, with help from Shaun and DRFC of course, but Ian has kindly offered to put us in touch with other ex-DRFC players so we can try and recreate that this next season. Watch this space as they say.

I really hope he has Colin sutherland s number

neil grainger

« Reply #48 on May 22, 2013, 05:29:09 pm by neil grainger »

Ouch!

I only listened on the one occasion - Brentford away, naturally!

I thought you did a brilliant job Glen - you've missed your vocation mate!
Seriously, I was very impressed.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 22, 2013, 06:04:55 pm by newyankee »
Hi SM

It's only 11.45 am over here and so I would assume that your meeting has come and gone.  However something which has become a cult over here in Milwaukee at the Milwaukee Brewers baseball games,and has been copied by other clubs is the "Klement's Sausage Race". Please google Klement's Sausage Race and you should see video of the races.  There were four, but now five  mascots bodies which go over the top of a runner.  Klements have the franchise to sell these at Miller Park, so it builds a bond between them and the club.

Each one is named after a different sausage, Hot Dog, Brat, Italian etc  and you can ask people to volunteer to run as , shall we say a " whoever pie"  You could get the pie supplier to provide the outfits and call them Meat Pie, Chicken Pie, Cornish  etc.  You can then build up the excitemenet and have a commentary on the race during the half time break.

The sausages in Milwaukee are then used to do community work by being lent out to different agencies when not in use. This could bring in good publicity for both the Rovers and the pie supplier.

Recently, in the last couple of years, they have held a "Where's such and such a sausage" campaign where one of them goes missing.  The sponsor then pays for some copies of the sausage ( garden ornaments and a publicity campaign ensues until the local TV and Radio stations ( in your case TraxFM and player) announces that the replicas are hidden in an area of the Lakeside Shopping Centre. Anyone who finds one keeps it and there is a voucher for two free tickets attached.

The ornaments are then put on sale in the club shop and you can do this for four years till people have bought the set.

It's just an idea, but I don't think any other club in England has come up with anything similar and so it would be a good way for the Rovers to get publicity away from the top clubs.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 22, 2013, 06:07:47 pm by colincramb »
How about a few table and chairs outside the bar for when the weather is good? Loved what they did at Colchester  with that outside area with the music etc.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 22, 2013, 06:22:39 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Men dressed in giant cornish pasty costumes running round the keepmoat is something we've all been waiting to see. IRWT.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 22, 2013, 06:47:42 pm by graingrover »
I prefer it to be a carton of mushy peas like you get on that Yorkshire airways video.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 22, 2013, 06:51:08 pm by Muttley »
Get Radio Hallam PushBall back!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 22, 2013, 06:51:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As usual, some good ideas and some real issues that should be addressed.

(Plus, I don't see any reason why music requests can't be considered. In fact, why not hand over some of the pre-match entertainment over to the fans.."by the fans, for the fans". Any budding DJs/announcers out there?)

Looks like Martin has a long list to work through, he's probably still there now.

On the marketing front, I receive all types of communications from the club, as most of you do. I think we're right to be concerned about the communication that goes out beyond the 'inner circle'.

We could probably do worse than making the equivalent of RoversPlayer, free to view. Perhaps a Club Doncaster Website/TV station promoting all sports and events at the Keepmoat. At the same time providing a free hub, where businesses can advertise, people can network for jobs and more.

I'd like to see the club involve people more on a voluntary basis to help with sprucing up the stadium. I'm sure there would be plenty out there willing to lend a hand. This can only help to enhance our civic pride in the stadium and pride in DRFC. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 22, 2013, 07:18:13 pm by silent majority »
All,

Just got home. It was a very long but fruitful meeting and we all have 4 pages of action points, so excuse me if I don't pass it all on just yet.

The club will be issuing the survey results in the next day or two along with a press release capturing where we are with IRWT.

Meanwhile here are some answers to specific questions;

Naming of the bars in the concourses will be done this summer, although we will run a poll again. The Brentford Cross Bar was a good suggestion.

The Belles. The club did issue a public statement, and they have given tremendous support to them in recent months. So they are doing things but most of it is being done behind the scenes so to speak. (I was quite impressed to be honest)

We are replacing the flags. There will be a Champions flag!

The 3rd shirt option for season 2013/14 will be the white away shirt from last season.

Rovers Player will be reassessed. There may not be too many changes, if any, but it will be looked at. Of course its not a DRFC product as such, its the FL who take the revenue so changes to the level of payment etc is down to them

Delivery of green shirts. The club are asking Just Sport to issue a statement to reassure people what to expect in terms of delivery.

The pre-match music will be looked at again (is that OK Stu?)

The Heritage project is making progress and the funding application has gone in. Meanwhile there is a summer plan for concourse refurbishment.

More later!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 22, 2013, 07:30:44 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Cheers Martin, informative as ever

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 22, 2013, 07:35:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks Martin.

Brentford Cross Bar. Brilliant! Maybe rename toilets 'The Trottas'

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 22, 2013, 07:44:51 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Wait, the club don't get any money from RoversPlayer?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 22, 2013, 08:10:29 pm by silent majority »
Wait, the club don't get any money from RoversPlayer?

I think its a commission based return, I don't know the figures.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012