Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:43:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Elliot Ward  (Read 17003 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Elliot Ward
« Reply #60 on June 24, 2013, 08:00:15 pm by dickos1 »
Maybe Yeovil fans aren't as miserable and downbeat about everything as a lot of us seem to be.
If messi signed tomorrow there'd be people moaning that he was too small and doesn't have the right attitude

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 25, 2013, 01:10:20 am by mrfrostsdad »
4500 is a pathetic target for a town the size of Doncaster with a Championship Football Club.
We've lost so many supporters over the years to the likes of Leeds, The Blunts and Wendies.

Anybody who is Donny born and bred should be ashamed of themselves for supporting these teams. I live in Scarborough. Did I support Scarborough when they were in a higher division than us? Did I ****!!

Get back and support your home town team!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on June 25, 2013, 06:54:04 am by dickos1 »
You can't just change your team, I live in leeds and I'm about to have my first kid, he certainly won't be a leeds fan, but he'll be born and bred in leeds. (If its a boy)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 25, 2013, 10:00:13 am by mrfrostsdad »
Of course he may rebel Dickos!
Chain him up in the dungeon if he does!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on June 25, 2013, 11:59:30 am by Jenny »
All this 'you should support your home town team' stuff is absolute utter garbage.

Life is all about making choices, of course people normally have an affinity to their home town and that could have an impact on what club they support but why should it HAVE to? Why should people be embarrassed about supporting a team that they have no ties to other than they like to watch them play?

Lets face it, football is ENTERTAINMENT, if people feel more entertained watching Man United on the tele than going down to the Keepmoat every fortnight it is THEIR CHOICE and who is anyone to tell them otherwise?

Should people only listen to music by bands/artists who have come from their home town or should they listen to music they like?

Should people never move away from the town they were born? Never get a job away from the town they were born??

I didn't chose to be born in Doncaster, why should my parents decision effect any choices I ever make in life? Including the football team I support?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 25, 2013, 12:06:09 pm by MrFrost »
All this 'you should support your home town team' stuff is absolute utter garbage.

Life is all about making choices, of course people normally have an affinity to their home town and that could have an impact on what club they support but why should it HAVE to? Why should people be embarrassed about supporting a team that they have no ties to other than they like to watch them play?

Lets face it, football is ENTERTAINMENT, if people feel more entertained watching Man United on the tele than going down to the Keepmoat every fortnight it is THEIR CHOICE and who is anyone to tell them otherwise?

Should people only listen to music by bands/artists who have come from their home town or should they listen to music they like?

Should people never move away from the town they were born? Never get a job away from the town they were born??

I didn't chose to be born in Doncaster, why should my parents decision effect any choices I ever make in life? Including the football team I support?

Some people have more of an affinity with their home town than others. It's "home".
From my point of view, I don't know why anyone would want to support anyone other than their home town club - the town you grew up in. For me it makes no sense.

Most youngsters who "support" Man Utd, Chelsea etc, do so because of the success these teams have. They probably have never stepped foot inside their stadium's, and are fed Sky's football propaganda. That isn't supporting a team.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on June 25, 2013, 12:20:01 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I am reminded of one of the great Tom Lehrer's lines : "Life is like a sewer ................ What you get out of it depends on what you put into it"

Anyone who has supported Rovers truly from before 1998 will have experienced highs at Stoke, Cardiff, Wembley and Brentford that will surely drown any emotions felt by Sky oriented Premier League fans. IMHO a fan needs to see the club at the centre of his lifelong passion threatened with its very existence, lose 34 out of 46 league matches in a season, know what real lows are to experience the level of high we have done.

I am not disputing anyone's right to support who they will, but IMHO we are the truly lucky ones these last 10 years - reflecting the positive side of Lehrer's axiom

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on June 25, 2013, 12:26:05 pm by IDM »

Some people have more of an affinity with their home town than others. It's "home".
From my point of view, I don't know why anyone would want to support anyone other than their home town club - the town you grew up in. For me it makes no sense.

Most youngsters who "support" Man Utd, Chelsea etc, do so because of the success these teams have. They probably have never stepped foot inside their stadium's, and are fed Sky's football propaganda. That isn't supporting a team.

Look at it this way - as a child I lived roughly half way between Doncaster and Leeds.  My dad's parents still lived in Doncaster, and he followed Rovers since his childhood.  Since he started taking me (over 30 years ago) naturally Doncaster Rovers became my team, even if in the interim years I've watched football elsewhere due to work, geography etc.

Had my dad not taken me to BV, the likelihood is I would have gone to Leeds with the majority of my schoolmates. 

Fans get their sense of belonging to a team by going to the matches (whether home town or not) or by who they like on the telly.

What we want, is for some of the local Prem armchair fans to occasionally come to watch Rovers, as football fans if not Rovers fans.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on June 25, 2013, 12:58:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It would seem ridiculous if someone supported a team from another country instead of their own in an international tournament. It could be construed as being a traitor.

Supporting another team from another town/city is the same thing, on a smaller scale.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 25, 2013, 01:01:44 pm by RoversAlias »
To be fair 'traitors' have not really been a thing for a couple of hundred years.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on June 25, 2013, 01:03:33 pm by RobTheRover »
What we want, is for some of the local Prem armchair fans to occasionally come to watch Rovers, as football fans if not Rovers fans.

Very good point, IDM.  The club are doing an awful lot to get the youngsters interested after the "lost generation" of the late 90s/early 2000s.  MAybe the next great untapped supporter base will come from those Prem armchair fans.  Hooking them in could be through their kids, but we should also offer up other options.  A "Sky Amnesty" day?  A match where anyone bringing their Sky bill showing subscription to sky sports gets a half price ticket.  Ideas gratefully received.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 25, 2013, 01:11:47 pm by boro_rover »
4500 is a pathetic target for a town the size of Doncaster with a Championship Football Club.
We've lost so many supporters over the years to the likes of Leeds, The Blunts and Wendies.

Anybody who is Donny born and bred should be ashamed of themselves for supporting these teams. I live in Scarborough. Did I support Scarborough when they were in a higher division than us? Did I ****!!

Get back and support your home town team!
I was born and raised in scarborough, and I live just outside now, and even I got roped into following rovers!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on June 25, 2013, 01:21:48 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Quite right Boro!!
Well done! Where abouts are you? I live near the Rosette.
And Mike, I remember taking you to watch Leeds get hammered by Arsenal at Elland Road! PMSL!
Well pleased the  Rovers is, and always has been, your team!

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 25, 2013, 01:42:14 pm by The L J Monk »
Where do you draw the line though?

For example, should people from Armthorpe support Armthorpe instead of Donny?

If, somehow, Armthorpe went through the leagues, into the Conference or higher, could Armthorpe fans turn round and say that their neighbour who supports Donny is a traitor?

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 25, 2013, 02:05:05 pm by boro_rover »
Quite right Boro!!
And Mike, I remember taking you to watch Leeds get hammered by Arsenal at Elland Road! PMSL!
Quite right Boro!!
Quite right Boro!!
Ah not to far from where I work then, I'm a butcher at proudfoots! Good to know a local forum member. I myself live in Staxton and have done all my life.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on June 25, 2013, 09:45:13 pm by Al4475 »
Weird - I thought this thread was about Elliott Ward - not where we're from and why it pisses us off that people from donny like leeds! LOL

;)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on June 25, 2013, 10:40:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Where do you draw the line though?

For example, should people from Armthorpe support Armthorpe instead of Donny?

If, somehow, Armthorpe went through the leagues, into the Conference or higher, could Armthorpe fans turn round and say that their neighbour who supports Donny is a traitor?

n an ideal world people from Armthorpe should support both their local team AND Rovers. They would be traitors if they defected and solely supported Rovers, especially if they then ridiculed their village side because they get poor crowds etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012