Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:46:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mystery Investors?  (Read 13978 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Mystery Investors?
« Reply #30 on June 23, 2013, 12:45:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Generally speaking, this kind of investment is almost always bad news. People with no local link to a club usually invest either to make money or as a play thing. We want no part of anything like this. Pumping up a club with money in the short term when there is not the local support to make this sustainable is bad, bad news. I doubt we are talking huge amounts here but the principle is the same as QPR - a total joke club. No way can they afford to sustain their outgoings on 18k crowds. We are a local club for local people, we want nothing of that kind here.

We probably have a fair bit of potential though if we got some success. Were a town of 300,000+. If we got to the Premier League we could probably fill the Keepmoat every week.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 23, 2013, 12:47:31 pm by Dare to dream! »
yeah but still we have a max capacity of 15k that's not big revenue money compared to basically any other champ club eg leeds of a 25k sell out each week, i dont see why anyone would invest in us tbh

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 23, 2013, 12:48:10 pm by Wellred »
We are a local club for local people, we want nothing of that kind here

Remind me again where the directors live.

I don't know about you but I want DRFC to get as high as we can and yes that means the Premiership. Isn't that what following your club is about? Dreaming of better times?

If you don't have that ambition and only want to follow a local club for local people then what about Armthorpe Welfare, Askern Villa, Brodsworth etc etc.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 23, 2013, 12:50:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Generally speaking, this kind of investment is almost always bad news. People with no local link to a club usually invest either to make money or as a play thing. We want no part of anything like this. Pumping up a club with money in the short term when there is not the local support to make this sustainable is bad, bad news. I doubt we are talking huge amounts here but the principle is the same as QPR - a total joke club. No way can they afford to sustain their outgoings on 18k crowds. We are a local club for local people, we want nothing of that kind here.

We probably have a fair bit of potential though if we got some success. Were a town of 300,000+. If we got to the Premier League we could probably fill the Keepmoat every week.

Fantasy. The best we would hope for is something like Wigan, with circa 16-18k crowds except for when Big Six clubs come to town. We are never going to get crowds to be sustainable in the Premier League. The town gave up on their club many many years ago. We could probably with some investment and success bump up the crowds a bit but I reckon 20k crowds will always be our absolute ceiling.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 23, 2013, 12:52:15 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think most posts should remember we're still in silly season.

I also don't think new investment is a bad thing in itself. That said, I think it has to fit in with the current structure we have built at the club. And I think that would mean the new investor(s) becoming equal shareholders and investing equal amounts of cash that the other main shareholders already currently do. I would still hope we keep a tight to reasonable budget as clubs have shown in recent years that this can work to get you promoted if you have the right recruitment strategy.

My one worry is that if we do get an investor in on this basis is that one or more of the other main directors may walk.

Also, another thing is the club is projecting that it will make a profit. A business making a profit is much easier to invest in and gives a context to the potential investment coming in. Is this a contributing factor?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 23, 2013, 12:53:24 pm by Chris Black come back »

I don't know about you but I want DRFC to get as high as we can and yes that means the Premiership. Isn't that what following your club is about? Dreaming of better times?

If you don't have that ambition and only want to follow a local club for local people then what about Armthorpe Welfare, Askern Villa, Brodsworth etc etc.

You are on weak ground here and you know that. The Directors all have exceptionally close links to the town, whether born or lived here for many many years. They are supporting Rovers as their home town club - wherever they may live now. The fact that John Ryan has lived in Cheshire for decades is totally irrelevant.

We all want success but those that want success at all costs are the worst possible supporters a club can have. People need to be realistic.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 23, 2013, 01:01:03 pm by Wellred »

You are on weak ground here and you know that. The Directors all have exceptionally close links to the town, whether born or lived here for many many years. They are supporting Rovers as their home town club - wherever they may live now. The fact that John Ryan has lived in Cheshire for decades is totally irrelevant.

We all want success but those that want success at all costs are the worst possible supporters a club can have. People need to be realistic.

We also have two very wealthy directors who aren't interested in football and are not from Doncaster

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 23, 2013, 01:07:02 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Dick Watson is a massive fan thank U! Goes home and away and massively invests. Get your facts right! Dick,Terry and JR are pure gold.

Leebtyler

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 23, 2013, 01:10:15 pm by Leebtyler »
I for one, welcome our new IRISH overlords!

ahh fiddly-dee to be sure to be sure.

let's hope theyre 'lucky charms' for the club......  :coat:

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 23, 2013, 01:25:44 pm by Rovers Return »
Dick Watson is a massive fan thank U! Goes home and away and massively invests. Get your facts right! Dick,Terry and JR are pure gold.

Agreed but even they must sell at some point. I'm sure they have done their homework on the buyers.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 23, 2013, 01:47:40 pm by Wellred »

Dick Watson is an even bigger fan of Leicester City. He wasn't a fan when JR brought him on board!!!
Who's to say that if JR brought these mystery backers on board they would not become massive DRFC fans?

I seem to remember the phrase "In John Ryan we trust" being used quite frequently on here.

If this is John's idea will you not trust him now?

....................or is it only when he does something you agree with?

Leebtyler

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 23, 2013, 01:51:24 pm by Leebtyler »

Dick Watson is an even bigger fan of Leicester City. He wasn't a fan when JR brought him on board!!!
Who's to say that if JR brought these mystery backers on board they would not become massive DRFC fans?

I seem to remember the phrase "In John Ryan we trust" being used quite frequently on here.

If this is John's idea will you not trust him now?

....................or is it only when he does something you agree with?

there's bound to be scepticism since the experiment... im pretty sure that if any of this is true (which i doubt it is for many reasons) he and Gavin will have done due dilligence on any financial matters around the club.

#InRyanWeTrust  should always apply.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 23, 2013, 01:52:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Nobody has said this is a bad thing?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 23, 2013, 01:57:49 pm by The L J Monk »

Generally speaking, this kind of investment is almost always bad news. People with no local link to a club usually invest either to make money or as a play thing. We want no part of anything like this. ....We are a local club for local people, we want nothing of that kind here.

Leebtyler

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 23, 2013, 02:02:21 pm by Leebtyler »

Investment isn't ALWAYS a bad thing.. but if it does pan out, lets hope they're not like the Leeds backers.

i just don't see how Rovers is a financial investment for anyone really, we're small fry in the football world, we have a small following, the stadium capacity is small, they would literally have to be VERY good friends with John or just be massive fans of the club.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 23, 2013, 02:02:39 pm by Filo »
We probably need fresh investors on board, none of our current owners are exactly spring chickens, we have to cover any eventuality, and that incudes continuity of investment should the worse happen

DRFC MYERS

« Reply #46 on June 23, 2013, 02:04:34 pm by DRFC MYERS »
How can extra investment be a bad thing to the club?
We need the extra money to compete with the bigger clubs in this league as well as the handicap which is placed on other clubs which haven't got the parachute payments from being in the premier league.

Extra money would help a lot of things around the club. Not just transfer budget and wage availability, we may finally be able to sort things out with the marketing of the club and get some extra fans in the seats!

Lets see what happens but I'm a goer for this! IRWT!

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 23, 2013, 02:06:29 pm by The L J Monk »
Extra money would help a lot of things around the club........I'm a goer for this!

Superb! How much shall we put you down for?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 23, 2013, 03:22:40 pm by albie »
There is no such thing as investment in a club like Rovers.....investment implies you expect a return on the money put forward.

Anyone buying into DRFC is making a donation, in exchange for shares or influence in the business.

The question is what anyone putting funds in expects back as a result.... it might just be the satisfaction of involvement, or it could be part of a wider business strategy.

The bottom line is that there a more attractive ways to get involved in football than DRFC, if fame and success float your boat. Putting money into Rovers is a bit of a loss leader unless you have other ambitions on the back of the decision.

Remind me...were Westferry a property development group?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 23, 2013, 03:27:16 pm by Filo »
There is no such thing as investment in a club like Rovers.....investment implies you expect a return on the money put forward.

Anyone buying into DRFC is making a donation, in exchange for shares or influence in the business.

The question is what anyone putting funds in expects back as a result.... it might just be the satisfaction of involvement, or it could be part of a wider business strategy.

The bottom line is that there a more attractive ways to get involved in football than DRFC, if fame and success float your boat. Putting money into Rovers is a bit of a loss leader unless you have other ambitions on the back of the decision.

Correct, but who says it`s Westferry? the alleged investors have Horse Racing links apparently, JP McManus? :)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 23, 2013, 03:51:19 pm by RobTheRover »
The Queen?

;)

DRFC MYERS

« Reply #51 on June 23, 2013, 03:51:38 pm by DRFC MYERS »
Extra money would help a lot of things around the club........I'm a goer for this!

If I was ever to have a small fortune I've always said I would allow DRFC benifit from it but until then I can but dream

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 23, 2013, 03:54:14 pm by RobTheRover »
And buy Euromillions tickets

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 23, 2013, 04:02:16 pm by Wellred »

If I was ever to have a small fortune I've always said I would allow DRFC benifit from it but until then I can but dream
The Queen?

;)

I don't think Graham Norton has got that much money!

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 23, 2013, 04:05:50 pm by keepmoatman »
Just for the record  Shay Given is a free agent after having his contract
terminated at Villa , 5 mill  to rid i believe  :welcome: to Rovers hahaha

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 23, 2013, 04:14:35 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Jr has not got endless pockets. DW and TB are one of reasons we achieved the promised land! Dick goes to most games and Terry recognises the locality needs a decent football team given a difficult area due to high unemployment. What's to dislike? Utter gold all of them! Hope to god this rumour TRUE as they and us deserve a shot at the big time!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 23, 2013, 04:20:37 pm by DonnyRTID »
Even if true, it wouldn't make our spending power any greater due to the fair play ruling.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 23, 2013, 04:23:10 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Even if true, it wouldn't make our spending power any greater due to the fair play ruling.

That depends on how the investment is put into the club

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 23, 2013, 04:47:13 pm by wilts rover »

They certainly were/are but as Rovers only run the stadium and rent it on a 100 year lease, they may have to wait a while for a return on that....

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 23, 2013, 04:51:49 pm by River Don »
Jr has not got endless pockets. DW and TB are one of reasons we achieved the promised land! Dick goes to most games and Terry recognises the locality needs a decent football team given a difficult area due to high unemployment. What's to dislike? Utter gold all of them! Hope to god this rumour TRUE as they and us deserve a shot at the big time!

We sit near the directors in the East stand and I  know Terry Bramall attends almost all the home games too. He may not be a lifelong football fan but he is a proud Doncastrian. All three of the owners are genuinely enthusiastic supporters of the club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012