Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 06:42:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Hallam Pushball  (Read 8512 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Radio Hallam Pushball
« on August 12, 2013, 06:46:48 pm by Branton Rover »
Those of a certain age probably the 40+ vintage of which I'm one will remember RH Pushball which was one of the greatest Halftime treats. 2X Teams of 8 blokes charging from opposite ends of the pitch towards a giant inflatable ball placed on the centre spot. I remember vividly when both teams met the ball at tge same time and all 16 blokes bounced of the giant inflatable simultaneously, it was seriously funny but I guess rediculous Health & Safey people wouldn't wear it now. Let's bring it back the campaign starts here

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Radio Hallam Pushball
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2013, 06:59:00 pm by not on facebook »
Game on i say,give every a Peter chec style crash helmet and gum shields and radio hallam pushball is
Yer uncle.

Its an idea Thats got to be looked into

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2013, 07:07:43 pm by Branton Rover »
It was more entertaining than the game

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2013, 07:28:20 pm by Northants Nomad »
This gets my vote.

Sign me up!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2013, 07:28:30 pm by not on facebook »
It was more entertaining than the game

Maybe we should have 45mins each way Of push ball
Then half time Of rovers players doing Their bit

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2013, 08:14:46 pm by The Red Baron »
Those of a certain age probably the 40+ vintage of which I'm one will remember RH Pushball which was one of the greatest Halftime treats. 2X Teams of 8 blokes charging from opposite ends of the pitch towards a giant inflatable ball placed on the centre spot. I remember vividly when both teams met the ball at tge same time and all 16 blokes bounced of the giant inflatable simultaneously, it was seriously funny but I guess rediculous Health & Safey people wouldn't wear it now. Let's bring it back the campaign starts here

May I refer the Hon. Gentleman to the following:

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=241452.30

It seems that he was at that particular game, as well as Mr Stubbs Tears and yours truly. It was a very select audience- or sparse crowd, if you prefer!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2013, 09:53:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

I've always thought the second half at home to Dover in Dec 98 was our equivalent of the Sex Pistols at the Manchester Free Trade Hall, but it looks like the Hallam push ball moment might be challenging for the title.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2013, 09:58:05 pm by RobTheRover »
I think it should be looked at by the Matchday Experience group.

Jesus, if they said every STH gets to have a go I reckon ST sales would go through the roof

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2013, 10:09:01 pm by silent majority »
I remember having a go at that one floodlit night at Belle Vue. I ran up to it, launched myself at it expecting it to move in a certain direction. It didn't move, but I trampolined off the thing and ended up on my backside about 30 feet away! That kinda killed the enthusiasm.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2013, 10:10:33 pm by RobTheRover »
I remember having a go at that one floodlit night at Belle Vue. I ran up to it, launched myself at it expecting it to move in a certain direction. It didn't move, but I trampolined off the thing and ended up on my backside about 30 feet away! That kinda killed the enthusiasm.

That has to be on youtube somewhere.....

;)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2013, 10:11:15 pm by Mr1Croft »
Hmmm, this sounded like fun so I googled it (not being at an age to remember it) and it looks fun too...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 09, 2013, 12:25:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »

SM

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but my Grail-like quest is at an end.

YOU were the daft t**t who ran into one side of the Hallam pushball at the instant some other daft t**t was running into the other side!

If it's any consolation
1) the poor t**t on the other side also got flung 30 foot backwards.
2) your actions were THE funniest thing ever seen on a togger pitch.

I will now set my trusty steed out to grass and lay down my sword. My 30-year quest to find out who the daft Kitson was is at an end.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 09, 2013, 08:51:10 am by The Red Baron »
But who was the bloke who got carried off on the stretcher? That's what I'd like to know.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 09, 2013, 09:04:17 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »

May I refer the Hon. Gentleman to the following:

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=241452.30

It seems that he was at that particular game, as well as Mr Stubbs Tears and yours truly. It was a very select audience- or sparse crowd, if you prefer!

I was there too. Do I get a prize? It was just to the right of the main stand towards the town end if I recall.
Could probably dig out the date by looking at some old programmes.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 09, 2013, 09:35:07 am by The Red Baron »
I would guess towards the back end of the 1984-5 season, if that helps.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 09, 2013, 04:56:05 pm by RedRover45 »
John, it was the home game against Bristol Rovers in I think the 84-85 season. Iirc we lost 0-2. I played in the Pushball game playing from the Rosso End attacking the Town End. I remember it as though it was yesterday.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 09, 2013, 05:44:28 pm by Dutch Uncle »

SM

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but my Grail-like quest is at an end.

YOU were the daft t**t who ran into one side of the Hallam pushball at the instant some other daft t**t was running into the other side!

If it's any consolation
1) the poor t**t on the other side also got flung 30 foot backwards.
2) your actions were THE funniest thing ever seen on a togger pitch.

I will now set my trusty steed out to grass and lay down my sword. My 30-year quest to find out who the daft Kitson was is at an end.

The mental picture of Silent Majority and BST flying off comically in some Newtonian demonstration of equal and opposite directions has made me laugh more than anything else for a long long time  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think a rematch in the spirit of true scientific interest is essential, and I think we should start a competition or poll to sentence choose about 6 other VSC posters to be collateral supporting figures of fun

Thanks fellas  :thumbsup:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 09, 2013, 06:10:34 pm by hoolahoop »
True it does, I loved that ball. I would sign a petition to bring it back........happy times at obv eh .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 09, 2013, 06:48:46 pm by The Red Baron »
John, it was the home game against Bristol Rovers in I think the 84-85 season. Iirc we lost 0-2. I played in the Pushball game playing from the Rosso End attacking the Town End. I remember it as though it was yesterday.

I think it was done more than once, though after the incident I recall I think they dispensed with the running start. We played Bristol Rovers on 8th March 1985 (a 2-2 draw) and then lost 0-2 to them on 19th October 1985. The latter game was Billy Bremner's final game in charge before he left for Leeds. Everyone knew he was going and I recall a strange atmosphere among the crowd. Also Brian Caswell (another soon to depart) was sent off and we had a rookie 'keeper in goal called Paul Allen who had a bit of a 'mare.

My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to think the particular incident I witnessed which resulted in one of the participants being knocked out cold and stretchered off was before a night match at the end of the season. Possibly Rovers v Orient on 6th May 1985, which had an evening kick-off due to racing at Donny earlier in the day.

islerover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 09, 2013, 07:17:36 pm by islerover »
I was involved in pushball when Retford supporters (including Retford Rover) took on Thorne, we had been on the beer at dinner time and the only thing I can remember after hitting the ball was being dragged off and dumped in a puddle in front of the pop side. I was hobbling about with a bruised ankle for about 2 weeks. Happy days.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 09, 2013, 11:21:09 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »

I think it was done more than once, though after the incident I recall I think they dispensed with the running start. We played Bristol Rovers on 8th March 1985 (a 2-2 draw) and then lost 0-2 to them on 19th October 1985. The latter game was Billy Bremner's final game in charge before he left for Leeds. Everyone knew he was going and I recall a strange atmosphere among the crowd. Also Brian Caswell (another soon to depart) was sent off and we had a rookie 'keeper in goal called Paul Allen who had a bit of a 'mare.

My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to think the particular incident I witnessed which resulted in one of the participants being knocked out cold and stretchered off was before a night match at the end of the season. Possibly Rovers v Orient on 6th May 1985, which had an evening kick-off due to racing at Donny earlier in the day.

Here we go! After a few too many hours of digging in dusty boxes I found it.

Funnily enough Ray Deans was also featured on the adjoining page to the pushball ad.

An eight pack of Hoffmeister for winning MOTM!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:29:50 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 09, 2013, 11:53:58 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
* Also interesting to note that the majority of match programmes from around the 85-86 season feature full page ads from Terry Bramall's old firm Bramall & Ogden. Not that Nobby will appreciate that fact.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 10, 2013, 09:12:25 am by The Red Baron »
Nicely found, Snod. I was meaning to dig out my programmes from that season, hoping also to find some reference to Ray Deans' goals. It seems the wonder strike at Belle Vue was in the York game. For some reason (can't remember why) I missed that game but I was at the Orient one after going racing across the road in the afternoon.

Love the prizes for MOM. Football really was a different game those days. Looks like John Buckley got a couple of bottles of supermarket wine as his prize!

Is your avatar Flockton Grey, perchance?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 10, 2013, 09:58:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB/Stockton

Looks like Black Tower Liebfraumilch.

Eeh, them were sophisticated days...

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 10, 2013, 12:41:58 pm by RobTheRover »
Black Tower was the absolute height of sophistication in the early/mid 80s, reserved only for christmas and weddings.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 10, 2013, 12:54:22 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
A gem of a thread. Hats off to all concerned.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 10, 2013, 01:12:09 pm by scuzzer »
I was there too to see the it's a knockout moment, like BST the funniest thing i've ever witnessed in a football ground. Thanks for the reminder all!

bizzo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 10, 2013, 05:55:49 pm by bizzo »
I remember it well. Lots of people getting carried off when they hit the ball at the same time. As others have said it was normally better than the match

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 10, 2013, 06:20:30 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Is your avatar Flockton Grey, perchance?

Well spotted. I believe it is Flockton. It's from a google search not Uncle Ken's personal album.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 10, 2013, 11:54:32 pm by BobG »
You are Cuddly Uncle Ken Snod and I claim my £5.

BobG

PS I wore a sodding costume of that bugger once. Almost all day long and it were reight hot too. First WorldNet if anyone's interested. Got a picture of it somewhere. Only slight problem was the cossy was brown. So Flockton Grey temporarily became Blockton Brown.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012