Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:15:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Away fans in home end  (Read 20620 times)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Away fans in home end
« Reply #90 on December 17, 2013, 12:15:58 am by German Rover »
Ok so where would you have them sat,move people out of their season ticket seats ? I would rather have it played behind closed doors,what do you think would happen it was played in say March / April time and they were near the top .

We played Grimsby in JPT season after we won it and took three times the amount Grimsby were expecting, What did they do? moved their fans up the ground, season ticket holders the lot.  Don't know what it is about leeds that gets everyone so excited. There will have been a lot more of their fans in the home end than you'll all know about.  Weed out the ones who are causing trouble in both sets of support, but why not welcome the ones who aren't going to start aggro.  I know of a father and son pair of leeds fans who went with their rover supporting fathr in law.  they wouldn't dream of starting aggro but didn't have enough points for the away end so why not welcome them to our club? 

Football is far too tribal a sport and it is starting to grate, not only on me but on other fans as well.  I love the game but all this stuff about supporting a team and hating every other team is so outdated its untrue.  Calling all leeds fans who live in Doncaster scum is also a step to far.  Let them support who they want to support, let them follow their massive club.  We should just concentrate on our little club and support them. After all life's to short.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on December 17, 2013, 07:35:13 am by hoolahoop »
Basically you would have us surrender our 'home' advantage then ?
That would mean playing in effect two 'away' games against Leeds !
By that token they could have more 'home' away games against other smaller clubs in this Division ......doesn't seem right somehow to me giving the bigger teams yet more advantage !!!

twinkletoes

« Reply #92 on December 17, 2013, 08:04:36 am by twinkletoes »
I tell you what then, let's not bother with segregation at all. Bugger it lets all just sit where we want and have a free for all. Maybe that's the answer. I honestly give up, I really do.
Or, why not have a fighting section, where you can go and beat the seven bells out of who you like. With the added bonus of going home and kicking the cat, should you choose. And a none fighting section where you just sit quietly and watch the game. Yep, problem solved!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on December 17, 2013, 11:40:34 am by Bentley Bullet »
naivety

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on December 17, 2013, 12:01:47 pm by hoolahoop »
I like that BB and when the odds are at least 3:1 we will pillage your house and rape all your women. There are some really naive posters on this forum.
German and Jenny I tell you this if you give them an inch ..........they will take a mile. Not all of them I grant you but a significant minority of let's face it SCUM.

We have them too but in fewer numbers as does every club in the country.
Income or safety of our supporters Jenny ? I know which I would prefer especially when we are trying so hard to get the youngsters interested in supporting the Rovers. It's a 'no brainer' surely ?

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on December 17, 2013, 12:44:01 pm by walter the red »
In reply to an earlier post (Duggie ) i also did not go on Saturday as have experienced Leeds fans behaviour before and did not enjoy the games with hatred and bile from their fans sat near me in the east stand (also the huge Police horses around the stadium were frightening previously )
Now i am not some young person ,i am in my 70's and go to every home match +local away (NOT Leeds !) and i never experience the underlying worries from other clubs as i feel from Leeds .
So wonder how many more like myself and Duggie cost the Rovers lost income when we play Leeds .
Rovers do as much as they can towards keeping the violence at a minimum ,but they cannot be expected to be responsible for all matters relating .
Do Leeds bring in undercover Police spotters to help our local police and security i wonder ?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on December 17, 2013, 01:40:29 pm by bobjimwilly »
Do Leeds bring in undercover Police spotters to help our local police and security i wonder ?

I bet SY police wish they had done that at the wednesday game last season  :facepalm:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on December 17, 2013, 01:42:43 pm by Rios »
It's not rocket science.  The next time we play them, if you don't have a purchase history or your purchase history consists of only games against Leeds (inc the PO Final) then no ticket.  If the CRM system at the Keepmoat is not capable of providing this information quickly then it's not fit for purpose.  Also a harder line should be taken with people who slip through that net and don't keep their heads down.

It seems strange to say but a smaller club handled it much better. We went into the Cheltenham home end a few seasons back in L1 for the final game.  We got collared the second we got through the turnstile by a steward who basically told us he knew we were Rovers fans and he'd be watching us but as long as we kept our heads down there'd be no problems.  We did and there wasn't (and yes he watched us and a number of others!)  Leeds fans should be made well aware in advance that if colours are on display in the home end or home fans make complaints you will be removed from the ground.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of the likes of Jenny in that it's mindless to tar all Leeds fans with the same brush, this is our home and if our fans are either not comfortable or feel threatened enough to not even turn up then the clubs duty is to provide a solution for them not some 70s glory hunting idiot who would rather support another towns team.

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 17, 2013, 04:15:25 pm by Tokyos Boot »
Not usually one to indulge in a sweeping statement with regards supporters getting 'tarred with the same brush'...

i have never met, or witnessed a Leeds fan (who attends games) and is a decent person.

I lived in Leeds for 8 months, and i only have bad things to say about the lot of them. If you ever have the displeasure of sharing a train journey or bus journey with a gang of their fans you will quickly learn that they aren't 'like us' - sure, they probably have a few who are decent people but few and far between! (In the same way that a few normal blokes probably innocently like the cut of a Stone Island coat)

The Leeds Utd brand has a reputation that its supporters do everything to uphold, our 'rivalry' is not one revel in, i loathe playing them because nobody wants to be around football supporters of that ilk.

For me, no amount of 'financial gain' should be letting them into our home sections and this thread serves to prove why, because our supporters aren't comfortable with it. I have no problems with any other clubs away fans doing it if they sell out, but Leeds? Give em the Bolton treatment.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on December 17, 2013, 04:35:27 pm by Jenny »
That surprises me because I have worked in Leeds for almost a decade and lived there for a large proportion of my adult life and also have a lot of friends from Doncaster from are regulars at Elland Road and on the whole most of them are good people who aren't out to cause trouble.

I travelled from Leeds on the train to the game on Saturday and drank in the station wearing my Rovers colours amongst the Leeds fans and didn't feel intimidated nor was I made to feel uncomfortable.

There was a suggestion from Twinkletoes that those who don't want trouble should be able to go and sit quietly and watch the game.... pretty much everything I hate about the game at the minute. The atmosphere and match day experience is being sanitised by people who 'just want to sit quietly'....

No one should think that for any minute I think we should just be telling the Leeds fans to come into the home ends, measures should be in place to minimise this but the reality is that it is difficult to do so as we all know.  It isn't right that home fans should feel intimidated and the stewards and police should be quicker to act and eject those fans who make themselves know to be away fans, whether it be Leeds or anyone else.

But there is also an element of people needing to man up a bit... I took my nieces on Saturday like I normally did and at no point did I think that it wasn't appropriate for them to be there. I can remember standing next to a load of Wednesday fans on the terraces at Belle Vue and barely anyone batted an eyelid despite it being totally obvious.... times are changing I guess.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on December 17, 2013, 04:48:16 pm by The Red Baron »
Personally I had no problems on Saturday and was fortunate enough not to have any Leeds fans in my immediate vicinity (I do sit in the West and I think most of the "bandits" were in the South and East). However, like Jenny the presence of away fans near me wouldn't stop me from attending the game- nor would it stop me from telling them to sit down and shut up if necessary!

This thread, though, should be required reading for any of those who think it would be lovely if we were to get up to the Premier League. Imagine the "Leeds experience" ten times or so in a season. On the evidence of this thread we'd probably lose more fans than we gained.

PS: Clearly a lot of folk on here can't remember, or have chosen to forget, how really nasty the "matchday experience" could be in the 70s and 80s.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 17, 2013, 04:50:20 pm by River Don »
There was a time when a Stone Island coat was a thing of beauty.

It would have been made of an innovative new fabric, perhaps with steel woven in it, or it would change colour at cold temperatures, there would be something special about it. It was built to last, it didn't come cheap and it was hard to find. Massimo Osti unfortunately designed his sports brand with very strong identity and he came up with the idea of buttoning his iconic logo to the sleeve but most garments didn't feature it. Sadly that logo has engulfed it, Massimo passed away long ago, the brand hasn't been well looked after and the button down logo is now everything. The reputation has become identified with something else. Like Burberry check, or the green MA1 jacket and Doc Marten boots once did. Many who wear SI now will have no idea what the brand was originally about or why it was so expensive.

A bit like the Leeds United brand, which has also become identified with something else too. It's nowhere near as strong now as it was in the 70s 80s but the reputation still clings.

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 17, 2013, 05:00:56 pm by Tokyos Boot »

There was a suggestion from Twinkletoes that those who don't want trouble should be able to go and sit quietly and watch the game.... pretty much everything I hate about the game at the minute. The atmosphere and match day experience is being sanitised by people who 'just want to sit quietly'....

:that: I used to feel so much 'safer' at Belle Vue though, we had much more of a territory, it felt a lot more like a tight nit community of supporters on the Pop side. We are constantly out-sung and often out-supported at the KMS, would i have detested Leeds games at Belle Vue? Probably not - id have probably welcomed the sense of big occasion, the tense atmosphere.

Its been covered a million times over but we have such a need to dissect those supporters who want to sit down (like in the Main stand of old) and quietly enjoy the game and those who want to chant and create an intimidating atmosphere for travelling teams.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on December 17, 2013, 05:15:17 pm by lee.j09 »

:that: I used to feel so much 'safer' at Belle Vue though, we had much more of a territory, it felt a lot more like a tight nit community of supporters on the Pop side. We are constantly out-sung and often out-supported at the KMS, would i have detested Leeds games at Belle Vue? Probably not - id have probably welcomed the sense of big occasion, the tense atmosphere.

Its been covered a million times over but we have such a need to dissect those supporters who want to sit down (like in the Main stand of old) and quietly enjoy the game and those who want to chant and create an intimidating atmosphere for travelling teams.

but we are this lovey dovey family club.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on December 17, 2013, 05:19:34 pm by RedJ »

Okay, when have we been outsupported at the Keepmoat? The Leeds League Cup game is the only time there's been anywhere close to the same amount of away fans as home fans.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on December 17, 2013, 05:23:38 pm by Albert Trousers »
That surprises me because I have worked in Leeds for almost a decade and lived there for a large proportion of my adult life and also have a lot of friends from Doncaster from are regulars at Elland Road and on the whole most of them are good people who aren't out to cause trouble.

I travelled from Leeds on the train to the game on Saturday and drank in the station wearing my Rovers colours amongst the Leeds fans and didn't feel intimidated nor was I made to feel uncomfortable.

No one should think that for any minute I think we should just be telling the Leeds fans to come into the home ends, measures should be in place to minimise this but the reality is that it is difficult to do so as we all know.  It isn't right that home fans should feel intimidated and the stewards and police should be quicker to act and eject those fans who make themselves know to be away fans, whether it be Leeds or anyone else.

But there is also an element of people needing to man up a bit... I took my nieces on Saturday like I normally did and at no point did I think that it wasn't appropriate for them to be there. I can remember standing next to a load of Wednesday fans on the terraces at Belle Vue and barely anyone batted an eyelid despite it being totally obvious.... times are changing I guess.

Nail - head

Nobody likes to feel intimidated but were the Leeds fans that bad on Saturday? I don't think so, there seemed to be a fair number of Rovers fans prepared to pile in a the few Leeds fan that celebrated their 2nd goal in the South Stand, are people going to stay away from football because of that ? No of course they aren't.
I am reliably informed that there was also skirmishes that took place before the game in the Marketplace & they were initiated by Rovers fans attacking Leeds fans. A bit of perspective required here, I dislike Leeds as much as the next Rovers fan but this thread is a touch embarrassing.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on December 17, 2013, 05:33:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There was an un-muzzled pit bull terrier on my drive this morning. It didn't bite me - I don't know what all the fuss is about them.   :headbang:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on December 17, 2013, 06:21:15 pm by Filo »

So much safer at Belle Vue?

You obviously weren't around in the late 70's early 80's when the popside was invaded by various opposition fans on a regular basis!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on December 17, 2013, 06:23:24 pm by Filo »

It would have been made of an innovative new fabric, perhaps with steel woven in it, or it would change colour at cold temperatures, there would be something special about it. It was built to last, it didn't come cheap and it was hard to find. Massimo Osti unfortunately designed his sports brand with very strong identity and he came up with the idea of buttoning his iconic logo to the sleeve but most garments didn't feature it. Sadly that logo has engulfed it, Massimo passed away long ago, the brand hasn't been well looked after and the button down logo is now everything. The reputation has become identified with something else. Like Burberry check, or the green MA1 jacket and Doc Marten boots once did. Many who wear SI now will have no idea what the brand was originally about or why it was so expensive.

A bit like the Leeds United brand, which has also become identified with something else too. It's nowhere near as strong now as it was in the 70s 80s but the reputation still clings.

The "Stone Island" of my day was a NCB donkey jacket :)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 17, 2013, 06:33:21 pm by Dagenham Rover »

The "Stone Island" of my day was a NCB donkey jacket :)

Don't forget the steel toecaps...... on the outside

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 17, 2013, 07:02:48 pm by River Don »
For anyone interested in what pipe smoking design genius Mr Stone Island was really about take a look here.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:27:57 pm by River Don »

twinkletoes

« Reply #111 on December 17, 2013, 08:59:05 pm by twinkletoes »

Report to moderator     Logged
Jenny
VSC Member

« Reply #71 on December 16, 2013, 07:35:50 PM by Jenny »
Like Quote
What about those Leeds fans who just want to go and watch their team, keep their mouths shut and don't cause any trouble whatsoever? Are we in a position to turn down their cash?
Jenny, you are becoming tedious. Remember what you say and who to dear.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on December 17, 2013, 09:09:11 pm by Draytonian III »
As I said yesterday does Jenny know any Leeds fans personally

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on December 17, 2013, 09:13:33 pm by idler »
I took the son-in-law a life long Leeds supporter with me on Saturday.
He sat quietly at the side of me nattering about the game and getting very worried for most of the second half.
He paid £23.50 for his ticket, a couple of pints in the bar and then a bovril and a pizza in the ground.
To my mind that is a decent spend for someone that caused no bother and he will probably attend another game or two this season.
They aren't all bad and I know there was an old Leeds fan behind me with a couple of Rovers season ticket holders. I would imagine that opposition fans attending a game with friends that support the home side are less likely to cause a problem than small groups that infiltrate.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on December 17, 2013, 09:38:39 pm by Jenny »
As I said yesterday does Jenny know any Leeds fans personally

Read my post above, I know plenty... Family, friends, colleagues.... Most of them are good people, some of them get a bit stupid when they go to the football, as do some Rovers fans I know.

Part of me hopes that Leeds get promoted (rather than us getting relegated) so the whole circus around Leeds fans in the home ends and how much they charge at Elland Road is given a rest for at least a season.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on December 17, 2013, 10:00:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Read my post above, I know plenty... Family, friends, colleagues.... Most of them are good people, some of them get a bit stupid when they go to the football, as do some Rovers fans I know.

That's why segregation is such a good idea!

Part of me hopes that Leeds get promoted (rather than us getting relegated)

What does the other part of you hope for?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on December 17, 2013, 10:34:27 pm by River Don »

Rovers getting promoted?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on December 17, 2013, 10:42:49 pm by Muttley »

Report to moderator     Logged
Jenny
VSC Member

« Reply #71 on December 16, 2013, 07:35:50 PM by Jenny »
Like Quote
What about those Leeds fans who just want to go and watch their team, keep their mouths shut and don't cause any trouble whatsoever? Are we in a position to turn down their cash?
Jenny, you are becoming tedious. Remember what you say and who to dear.

Aye, be careful...she might tell the servers to give you less chips!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on December 17, 2013, 11:23:48 pm by Jenny »

Rovers getting promoted?

Heaven forbid, then we'd have all those nasty Premiership fans in the home ends and it would cost too much to watch us away.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on December 18, 2013, 12:46:14 am by roversdude »
As a popsider it was pretty scary as a young un walking in to find that sheffield. Utd had taken over our hallowed bit of the ground, think they got kicked off train at Conisbrough that night

TinyPortal © 2005-2012