Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:09:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Vs Leeds Thoughts from a Leeds fan  (Read 5917 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Vs Leeds Thoughts from a Leeds fan
« Reply #30 on December 16, 2013, 01:40:35 pm by RedJ »
He isnt supporting his team rival. He is supporting doncaster and Yorkshire, the same as when you support Doncaster and your National team(England for example).
Wouldnt you rather have Leeds a Yorkshire team in the English Premier League rather than the likes of Swansea and Cardiff?

I personally hope we could all be promoted.

How on earth is supporting Donny and Wednesday the same as supporting the Rovers and England?

You've got to be Mick cos you're talking just as much b*llocks.

And no, I wouldn't, because it wouldn't affect me in any way as I wouldn't be going to watch Leeds play in the Premier League...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 16, 2013, 01:41:38 pm by IC1967 »
He isnt supporting his team rival. He is supporting doncaster and Yorkshire, the same as when you support Doncaster and your National team(England for example).
Wouldnt you rather have Leeds a Yorkshire team in the English Premier League rather than the likes of Swansea and Cardiff?

I personally hope we could all be promoted.

I'm glad someone understands where I'm coming from. I'm surprised at how narrow minded most folk are on this forum.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 16, 2013, 01:42:00 pm by RedJ »
I seem to think that we are missing the point here. If, and I say IF, Leeds are promoted, how many more so called or possible Rovers fans will switch to Leeds as they have in the past. It could make life more difficult for the rest of us. By the way we already have a Yorkshire team in the PL, Hull CITY.

I think you'll find they are from Humberside.

I think you'll find Humberside doesn't officially exist.

From a source as reliable as the likes of word hippo:

Humberside /ˈhʌmbərsaɪd/ was a non-metropolitan and ceremonial county in Northern England from 1 April 1974 until 1 April 1996.

Operative word being WAS. I.e. no longer exists.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 18, 2013, 12:46:01 pm by mjg »
he is not getting a bite off me.he aint worth it,i hope they do go up it will be nice to see them get hammered every week.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 18, 2013, 02:32:13 pm by hoolahoop »
 :headbang:
I seem to think that we are missing the point here. If, and I say IF, Leeds are promoted, how many more so called or possible Rovers fans will switch to Leeds as they have in the past. It could make life more difficult for the rest of us. By the way we already have a Yorkshire team in the PL, Hull CITY.

I think you'll find they are from Humberside.

It's like Groundhog Day with you isn't it. Believe me Hull City much to your chagrin is a Yorkshire side and currently the TOP Yorkshire side much as it pains me to say it.

I thought we sorted this out days ago, it wasn't Hull's fault that they were placed in a daft now defunct region called Humberside............get over it .

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 18, 2013, 02:41:09 pm by IC1967 »
As far as I'm concerned Hull is in Humberside and they are not proper Yorkshire. However they are close enough and as they used to be in Yorkshire they have my best wishes. Next people will be trying to tell me Middlesborough is also in Yorkshire. It's not. It's in Cleveland. Here is a Google map showing most definitely that Hull is in Humberside:

http://www.british1.co.uk/maps/humberside/Humberside_England_map.html

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 18, 2013, 02:45:02 pm by RedJ »
As far as I'm concerned Hull is in Humberside and they are not proper Yorkshire.

Unfortunately for you nobody with any influence over the matter gives a f**k what you think about it.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 18, 2013, 02:56:31 pm by IC1967 »
The BBC also think that there is a place called Humberside. So do the police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/humberside/hi/front_page/newsid_8193000/8193173.stm

The first line on their website says:

Hull (Humberside), East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire sport.

They call themselves Radio Humberside (not Radio East Yorkshire).

What do the police call themselves? You guessed it Humberside Police. What area do they cover? You guessed it Humberside. Is Hull shown as being in Humberside? You guessed it, it is.

http://www.humberside.police.uk/

I rest my case.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:59:23 pm by IC1967 »

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 18, 2013, 02:59:29 pm by RedRover45 »
Mick........I hate to have to be the one that breaks this to you.......nobody gives a f*ck !

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 18, 2013, 03:05:48 pm by IC1967 »
I hate to have to be the one that breaks this to you.......nobody gives a f*ck !

Just doing my bit to enhance the geographical knowledge of posters.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 18, 2013, 03:06:03 pm by RedJ »
Just because something is a geographical area doesn't make it so that it has a political boundary... there's a Thames Valley Police, you're not telling me Thames Valley is a county too now are you?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 18, 2013, 03:06:47 pm by RedJ »
And BBC Three Counties, there's another. Does that mean all three counties is one place?... thought not.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 18, 2013, 03:08:18 pm by silent majority »
This is off topic.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 18, 2013, 03:11:39 pm by IC1967 »
This is off topic.

I could see why you think so. However it is important to establish which team is pre-eminent in Yorkshire. By proving Hull is in Humberside (as I've clearly done) then that means Leeds are the team we should all be getting behind. Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire, etc.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 18, 2013, 03:13:41 pm by RedJ »
But you haven't proven that.. because I've found examples that contradict your logic..

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 18, 2013, 03:34:13 pm by IC1967 »
I think you'll find that I have provided more than enough evidence to have conclusively won the debate. You support Hull if you want to. I and the vast majority of posters will support Leeds. No hard feelings but Hull will never win the Premiership or Champions League but I'm sure Leeds will in the not too distant future.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 18, 2013, 03:35:41 pm by RedJ »
So using your logic, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire are all the same county (Three Counties Radio - yes, a BBC station), and Thames Valley is also a county.

Alright then, you go stick your fingers in your ears and "scream lalalala I can't hear you".

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 18, 2013, 03:37:12 pm by IC1967 »
Like I said, no hard feelings. I hope Hull do well for you.

But using your logic I would expect to be able to find a 'Three Counties' map. I can't. I would expect to find a 'Three Counties' police force. I can't.

Game set and match.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:39:37 pm by IC1967 »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 18, 2013, 03:37:56 pm by RedJ »
Quite frankly I couldn't care less how any club other than Rovers are doing...

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 18, 2013, 03:40:11 pm by IC1967 »
Well why do you keep banging on about Hull!!!!!!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 18, 2013, 03:41:56 pm by RedJ »
Got to give you a 10/10 for commitment if nothing else...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 18, 2013, 03:46:20 pm by hoolahoop »

Not many , chances are that they would have gone when we were demoted last time. It's impossible to switch surely, I understand folk'following' a chosen team playing in Europe etc., or that might have some family connections. I have three myself and have distinct reasons for each of them:-
1) Man Utd - when I was growing up in the late mid to late 60's it was a pleasure to see the likes of Best, Charlton and especially Law strut their stuff. Can I add here that having a family from Manchester I also had the pleasure to go to Maine Road and watched Bell. Summerbee and Lee
2) Fulham -I used to go to the Cottage with my Grandad when I wasn't travelling abroad. I loved the 'feel' of the place and still do to this day.
3) Crystal Palace - My 'late' mother's team again I love the place for all it's faults and more especially the supporters . I still rate them them as some of the noisiest and funniest around.

I never had an affinity with Leeds Utd. under their old manager Don Revie- I DIDN'T LIKE THEM THEN AND STILL DON'T TO THIS DAY.
The problem is the club, owners and it's fans seem to think the world owes them a living and that they can cheat their way out of every situation whilst their fans pretend they are European Cup winners. They swan into every town as if they are 'it' and they haven't been for a long long time. That is why they are hated and that's why they are called SCUM.
Why some choose to hate the relatively successful club in Manchester more than these clowns amazes me. Donnywolf for instance has a pathological hatred for this successful team as many others do. Does he like many others of you hate success and some of the most beautiful exponents of this beautiful game ever seen in this country ? Filo did they rob our club of it's supporters or was it the Scum from up the road in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I doubt it very much as I see very few folk wearing Man Utd shirts these days especially modern one's .

I just think that the folk of Doncaster just got sick of watching a team for 50 years that achieved little or nowt. Prior to that and during the 1950's we had some great teams ; after that the town had the occasional Division 4 winner which generally returned swiftly from whence it came. It's hard to get full houses and decent average attendances when seemingly we implode in front of our audience (Wembley and Cardiff excepted). Strangely enough our major successes have been celebrated out of the town and somehow the town's folk have obviously not felt involved as they did in the past. Perhaps the club and the town somehow became seperated in a way that rarely happens in for example Burnley.

Whilst we are doing sterling work with the youngsters of the Borough are we doing enough to engage with the adults ; those that buy the season tickets for their young'uns and would perhaps go with them ..........I KNOW WE LOSE EVERY TIME WE HAVE A FREEBIE OR CUT PRICE NIGHT. !! That has been very unlucky and we've all been there when the 'LOST' generations march out on or about the 70th minute shoutig ''same old fecking Rovers'' or such like choice phrases but............we MUST be persistent with those that would take those youngsters to games. We should be shouting about this club, it's recent successes, it's Community stadium from the bloody rooftops . Every vantage point in and out of this town should be secured to advertise this club OUR club and what it has to offer. I saw more advertising in the Free Press for instance for the 'Firework Spectacular' than I have seen for all our matches this season. This needs to be addressed and pronto............every business has to communicate with both it's current customers and it's 'potential' customers or they all gradually think the business no longer cares about them and perhaps the way they have been neglected all these years has left them feeling 'cold' about the club.

Unless we find a way to marry up club and town , we will always struggle . It means more 'open' days , more money spent on advertising etc etc........rant over for now.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:04:23 pm by hoolahoop »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 18, 2013, 04:27:33 pm by hoolahoop »
Seems I wasted my time with this long post then Martin . I had hoped there was food for thought for the whole forum.
Just why is this now deemed ''Off Topic'' surely it's club and football related..........FOUL I cry.  :(

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 18, 2013, 04:32:58 pm by IC1967 »
I think its RedJ's fault. He tried to turn the thread into a debate about geography instead of football.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 18, 2013, 05:04:04 pm by RedJ »
Aye, believe what you like, sparrow.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 18, 2013, 06:16:51 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Try reading the wiki entry

Humberside /ˈhʌmbərsaɪd/ was a non-metropolitan and ceremonial county in Northern England from 1 April 1974 until 1 April 1996.

The Commission recommended it and its districts be abolished and replaced with four unitary authorities, which the government accepted. The Order to do so was debated in the House of Commons on 28 February 1995, and in the House of Lords on 6 March 1995, and came into effect on 1 April 1996.[21]

and this

http://www.driffieldtoday.co.uk/news/local/we-live-in-the-east-riding-of-yorkshire-not-humberside-says-mp-1-5922834

Councillor Stephen Parnaby OBE, Leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council said: “I too am delighted that it is being taken seriously, as many people have contacted me to express their utter frustration that Humberside is still being used in addresses after all these years. Hopefully commonsense will prevail.”

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 18, 2013, 06:22:13 pm by River Don »
So using your logic, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire are all the same county (Three Counties Radio - yes, a BBC station), and Thames Valley is also a county.

Alright then, you go stick your fingers in your ears and "scream lalalala I can't hear you".

I should hope we're not giving BBC local radio regions any credence...

We really would be a small town in Sheffield if that was the case.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:28:12 pm by River Don »

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 18, 2013, 07:16:18 pm by IC1967 »
The Commission recommended it and its districts be abolished and replaced with four unitary authorities, which the government accepted. The Order to do so was debated in the House of Commons on 28 February 1995, and in the House of Lords on 6 March 1995, and came into effect on 1 April 1996.[21]

Right lets get this sorted. The 4 unitary authorities are, East riding of Yorkshire, Hull, North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. So as you can see Hull is not in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Therefore it must be from Humberside.

Here's an extract from your link which also states that Hull is separate from the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Graham said: “We are not there yet, but I am very hopeful we will get the right result. For years people who live in the East Riding of Yorkshire, Hull and across the Humber in North and North East Lincolnshire have simply not understood why this has taken so long to put right.”

Game set and match.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 18, 2013, 07:19:10 pm by River Don »
Donny is no longer in the West Riding but in South Yorkshire. Shouldn't you be a Wednesday supporter rather than a Leeds fan IC?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on December 18, 2013, 07:56:12 pm by IC1967 »
Good point. However I am Yorkshire through and through, so any team in Yorkshire fits the bill not just from South Yorkshire. Therefore it has to be Leeds as they are easily the best team in Yorkshire and are the only one to have the potential to be the best in the world. Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012