Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:18:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Away at the Amex – Info for Rovers Fans  (Read 9379 times)

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
Away at the Amex – Info for Rovers Fans
« on January 28, 2014, 03:31:07 pm by BrightonEye »
Just to clarify a few things for anyone coming down to the Amex on Saturday the 8th. 

For most away fans the easiest and best option by far is to come by train. You’ll save money by booking a return ticket to Haywards Heath or Shoreham by Sea. From there, the rest of the journey on to Brighton and the change for Falmer is all within the free travel zone that’s covered by your ticket.

If you’re driving, the club’s Travel Guide and Video (on the seagulls.co.uk website, under the Fans tab) include essential info on the free park-and-ride arrangements, as well as nearby car parks, where limited space (costing £15) is available on the day. If driving from the North I’d choose the Mill Road park-and-ride – but it gets full very quickly, so best to arrive by 1.30.

Falmer station is right beside the ground and, these days, getting away isn’t a problem. Leave on the final whistle, queue for maybe 15-20 minutes, and the train gets you into Brighton in 8 minutes flat. Then, loads of good pubs near the station, plus everything that naughty old Brighton has to offer! Or you could of course just get on the first train back home…

If you do have time, and fancy being sociable post-match, a great way to dodge the queues is to stick around. But no need to stay stuck in the away end. All the concourse bars stay open – with away fans very welcome. West Stand Lower is the biggest – and a lot warmer than the somewhat draughty away concourse! The North Stand bars always stay open till 8pm, and Dick’s Bar (again, open to all supporters) later still.

As for catering, the locally produced Piglet’s Pantry pies are pretty special, and unlike anywhere else, the away bars always stock a real ale from the visitors’ locality. So look out for your local brew.

Most people find that the Amex is a pretty relaxed and friendly place. Hope you have a good trip, and enjoy the match!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

oggycompton

• Forum Member
Re: Away at the Amex – Info for Rovers Fans
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2014, 03:38:54 pm by oggycompton »
Thanks BrightonEye.

All very good info and well put across. Look forward to a beer with you after.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2014, 03:56:29 pm by wing commander »
  Went to the first official match at the aminex and had a great time (result withstanding) lovely ground and the taxi driver we had was at Belle vue for the match we had when we were both in the mire...That and the lads weekend camping trip was one of my all time favourite away trips....

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2014, 04:16:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
Really enjoyed our trip there in August 2011.

When I say really enjoyed, what I meant was I enjoyed until your great lumbering wazak oaf of a centre back clattered through Billy Sharp, effectively got us relegated and ushered in "The Experiment".

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2014, 04:49:31 pm by idler »
I got the double up. The last game at the Goldstone and the first at Tha Amex. Like most of our fans I enjoyed the day but not the ending.
Let's hope that the gods smile on us this time, we need the points. :scarf:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2014, 07:12:58 pm by hoolahoop »
I just felt exhausted, fed up and underwhelmed.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2014, 08:13:50 pm by BobG »
I liked the Amex that first match too. Probably won't be able to make it this time - Alex's cricket training is in full swing now - but that's probably quite a good thing as otherwise I'm sure the ghost of Roy Chuter would upset me pretty badly.

You silly sod Roy.....

BobG

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 29, 2014, 10:27:25 am by BrightonEye »
Roy would have been delighted to see loads of Donny fans enjoying themselves (and having a decent beer too!) at the ground we all fought for over 14 long years...

Whatever the result, Rovers fans will be very welcome in any of the bars after the game.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 29, 2014, 10:50:27 am by NickDRFC »
BrightonEye - do you know if the bars there will be showing the rugby post-game?

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 29, 2014, 11:30:10 am by BrightonEye »
Hard to say - but there are usually at least two channels showing in the concourses, with immediate post-match interviews & highlights. Plus any live games that are being televised.

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 03, 2014, 10:25:47 am by BrightonEye »
Right - your thread about atmosphere at the Keepmoat vs away visits seems to apply  to clubs everywhere!

So please do us all a favour, and make as much noise as you want next Saturday!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:28:58 pm by BrightonEye »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 03, 2014, 11:04:00 am by hoolahoop »
Right - your thread about atmosphere at the Keepmoat vs away visits seems to apply  to clubs everywhere!

So please do us all a favour, and make us much noise as you want next Saturday!!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 03, 2014, 12:45:56 pm by Scooter »
I went to the Amex for the first game - best pies in football! I would recommend to anyone. I'm not going on saturday but i will definitely go again at some point!

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 03, 2014, 02:44:48 pm by BrightonEye »
I went to the Amex for the first game - best pies in football! I would recommend to anyone. I'm not going on saturday but i will definitely go again at some point!
Good man! Let's hope there'll be a chance for you to revisit the Amex again next season. (On current evidence we'll not be going anywhere!)

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 03, 2014, 07:37:52 pm by Scooter »
I'll look forward to it. Maybe meet in next seasons play offs as well!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 03, 2014, 08:41:42 pm by mushRTID »
BrightonEye - I'm in the corporate bit, 1901 club or something. Will I get slapped if I cheer when Billy scores?

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 03, 2014, 09:13:49 pm by BrightonEye »
BrightonEye - I'm in the corporate bit, 1901 club or something. Will I get slapped if I cheer when Billy scores?
No, but eyebrows will be raised and programmes rustled, in a highly threatening manner.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 03, 2014, 09:27:53 pm by mushRTID »
No, but eyebrows will be raised and programmes rustled, in a highly threatening manner.

haha!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 03, 2014, 11:17:00 pm by BobG »
Tickled me pink that did BE! Nice one.

BobG

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 04, 2014, 12:28:50 am by silent majority »

There was a disturbance in that area a couple of seasons ago when Palace were the visitors. It caused quite a stir and ended up with the Ombudsman having to resolve it after Brighton banned their own supporter based on no real evidence whatsoever.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2014, 10:43:33 am by RoversDave »
Before he was Dunked

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 04, 2014, 11:23:05 pm by BobG »
I have to confess I do still think that Uruguayan thug deliberately told his players to get physical in that second half. It was very, very noticeable. And understandable too to be honest since we played quite a bit better than them in the first half.

BobG

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 05, 2014, 04:04:53 pm by BrightonEye »
Well, should be very different this time. Our excitable Uruguayan's been replaced by a phlegmatic Spaniard. And I'm sure Oscar Garcia has instructed his troops to play nicely on Saturday. We shall see...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 05, 2014, 04:25:10 pm by The Red Baron »
Hi Brightoneye

How's the weather/ pitch down there please? I see that heavy rain is forecast for the south coast tomorrow with possibly more to come on Saturday. Have you had any problems with waterlogging?

I won't personally be going to the Amex on Saturday. I did go to the first game there and enjoyed the experience apart from Dunk's assault on Sharp and the late goal from Buckley. The Harvey's must qualify as the best beer I've drunk inside a football stadium- and it was nice to have a chat with Peter Kitchen (no less!) at half-time!

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2014, 04:59:26 pm by BrightonEye »
Hi Brightoneye

How's the weather/ pitch down there please? I see that heavy rain is forecast for the south coast tomorrow with possibly more to come on Saturday. Have you had any problems with waterlogging?
We've never had a game called off for that; the Amex pitch has excellent drainage - as should any stadium costing north of £100 mill. But anyone sitting in the front rows is advised to bring a mac and Sou'Wester!

Glad you enjoyed the Harvey's. I'll post up the away end local brew as soon as we know.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 05, 2014, 08:29:46 pm by CusworthRovers »
I must say Brighton Eye I enjoyed my last visit there, bar Dunk, the ref and the result.
My first visit to Brighton in many a year and as a proud working class South Yorkshire man, I was happy to return home with my anus still sealed like an uncooked mussel, and not even a wink or a smiling nod from any male down there.

Can you guarantee a similar experience this weekend.

Ps Are you the guy that Art Garfunkel sang about?

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 05, 2014, 09:10:04 pm by BrightonEye »
My first visit to Brighton in many a year and as a proud working class South Yorkshire man, I was happy to return home with my anus still sealed like an uncooked mussel, and not even a wink or a smiling nod from any male down there.
Better luck next time?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 05, 2014, 11:38:14 pm by Draytonian III »
Is there a bookies in the away section?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 05, 2014, 11:41:05 pm by BobG »
Lol! Good for Oscar Garcia :)

Mind you, I think we are a slightly tougher team now than we were back then. Cue us dishing it out in Spades now...... I hope not.

Bob

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 06, 2014, 01:09:20 am by BrightonEye »
Is there a bookies in the away section?
No.

Plenty near Brighton station though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012