Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:15:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ipswich Away - Revised Kick Off  (Read 7510 times)

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
Ipswich Away - Revised Kick Off
« on March 21, 2014, 11:16:17 pm by BigColSutherland »
If anyone is planning a quick getaway on the 5:09pm train, it's worth noting that kick-off for all games on the weekend of April 11-14 will be 7 minutes later (3:07pm) to mark the Hillsborough disaster.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jenny

• VSC Member
Re: Ipswich Away - Revised Kick Off
« Reply #1 on March 21, 2014, 11:38:15 pm by Jenny »
Without sounding too insensitive, things like this really wind me up...

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 21, 2014, 11:44:47 pm by Muttley »
Agreed, bit mawkish if you ask me (and it means I've probably only got time for one pint instead of two before the 6 o'clock train)

uptonson

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 21, 2014, 11:49:26 pm by uptonson »
Every match that weekend, irrespective of KO time, is starting 7 minutes late.  Personally I don't see the problem.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2014, 09:07:04 am by IDM »
25 years ago that weekend 96 folks lost their lives because they went to a football match.  Without opening a debate about how or why or who was to blame, 96 deaths (or indeed any) at a place of entertainment is a tragedy worthy of commemorating.

Those of us of a certain age will remember packed terraces and feeling crushed to some degree. 

Kick offs can be delayed by a few minutes when the TV director wants to squeeze in a few extra ads, so 7 minutes for this is not an issue.

uptonson

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2014, 09:23:11 am by uptonson »
25 years ago that weekend 96 folks lost their lives because they went to a football match.  Without opening a debate about how or why or who was to blame, 96 deaths (or indeed any) at a place of entertainment is a tragedy worthy of commemorating.

Those of us of a certain age will remember packed terraces and feeling crushed to some degree. 

Kick offs can be delayed by a few minutes when the TV director wants to squeeze in a few extra ads, so 7 minutes for this is not an issue.

Just the point I was making IDM.

Some people will complain about anything if it stops them having an extra pint or have to rush for a train.  Think it was a bad idea to think they could get 5-09 anyway.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2014, 10:16:19 am by donnievic »
Why it's only a few mins walk to the station anyway however it's not a bad boozer opp railway station anyway

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2014, 04:28:14 pm by streatham dave »
You can usually buy booze on the train as well. I remember watching the match on TV 25 years ago. Awful scenes. My eldest brother lived in Liverpool at the time and he had told us that he planned to go. I remember the sick feeling mixed with a sense of total disbelief not knowing if my brother was amongst them. He didn't end up going. Either he couldn't get tickets or didn't have the money, but not many people had mobiles at the time and it was a few hours before we got hold of him as I recall. On a side issue a proper inquiry needs to be set up into police actions on that day and the slurs in the press.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2014, 05:08:22 pm by coventryrover »

Its 7 minutes ffs. Get over it.  you get get an extra 7 plus minutes in injury time.  If you plan to go all the way to ipswich why fret about getting back asap?

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 22, 2014, 06:01:38 pm by WBDRFC »

I'm not sure why you started off with "Without sounding too insensitive", because it does not nothing to detract from the point that you are being insensitive. It's not like it happens every game or even every year.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 23, 2014, 02:27:42 pm by Mustapha-Dump »

Without sounding too insensitive myself, you're talking shit. 7 minutes out of your life to remember 96 people who died at a football game 25 years before, if you don't like it don't be a part of it. Childish statement, deluded to think it wouldn't be deemed insensitive!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2014, 02:39:51 pm by Donnywolf »

Without sounding too insensitive myself, you're talking shit. 7 minutes out of your life to remember 96 people who died at a football game 25 years before, if you don't like it don't be a part of it. Childish statement, deluded to think it wouldn't be deemed insensitive!

You would only have had to be of a certain age to remember the REAL HEARTBREAK of Heysel Hillsborough and Valley Parade (plus others) and the profound effect they had at the time ... and the positive effect they have had on how we watch football now. In my opinion in a more civilised and "safe" way.

Just recently Tom Finney was the latest legend who having passed away was honoured around the Country and quite rightly BUT he lived a full life ... some young kids just like the ones we try to encourage to come to Rovers games went to some of those above events and NEVER came home. They deserve remembering IN PERPETUITY and I would do so wherever I was in the country

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2014, 02:40:50 pm by Filo »
You can usually buy booze on the train as well. I remember watching the match on TV 25 years ago. Awful scenes. My eldest brother lived in Liverpool at the time and he had told us that he planned to go. I remember the sick feeling mixed with a sense of total disbelief not knowing if my brother was amongst them. He didn't end up going. Either he couldn't get tickets or didn't have the money, but not many people had mobiles at the time and it was a few hours before we got hold of him as I recall. On a side issue a proper inquiry needs to be set up into police actions on that day and the slurs in the press.

Brother in law went, he hoped to get a ticket outside the ground, me, the father in law, other brother in law and two sister in laws tried for hours to get through on the emergency line without success, he rolled in at about 10 pm that night, oblivious to the fact that we'd been trying to find out if owt had happened to him all that time. It turns out he couldn't get a ticket so him and his mate went on the piss in Sheffield, like you say no one had mobiles then so there was no way to contact him.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 23, 2014, 02:47:18 pm by Sad-Rovers »

Surely it should be up to the individual when, how and if they wish to remember those that died at Hillsborough. Where do we draw the line? 25 years, 50 years, 100 years?

Should we have a mins silence for those that perished on the Titanic? 1883 eruption of Krakatoa? The Black Death of 1348?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2014, 02:58:14 pm by 1879Rovers »
Me and a few mates came very close to going to Sheffield that day and trying to buy tickets. If I remember rightly we had played on the Friday night so we had a free weekend. We got to Donny station early and there was quite a few Forest and Liverpool fans around already. If I remember rightly, Man Utd and Leeds were at home the same day, so it was either Hillsborough, Leeds or Man Utd.

We had decided to go over to Hillsborough but we got chatting with the Liverpool fans who said there were thousands from Liverpool going without tickets, so we decided we had no chance.  We ended up going to Leeds and heard at half time that the game had been abandoned. It was only when I got back into Donny and was chatting with a friend on the bus home who was a Forest fan, that the details of what had happened were told to me. I got home much to the relief of my parents who knew I had gone out that morning considering a number of options. Like people say, no mobile phones so they had no chance of getting in touch with me.

It was an horrible tragedy that had been on the cards for years with overcrowded terraces and it wasn't the first time something like what happened nearly happened at Hillsborough. This was only a few years after Bradford and Heysel and the only good thing it did was to give us much safer stadiums now. Shame it was going to take a few tragedies to change things. Hard to believe it is 25-years ago. I went to Liverpool's first game back at Hillsborough after the tragedy when they played Sheff Wednesday in a league game. It was a very emotional night.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2014, 03:09:39 pm by wilts rover »
Yes you are correct Sad, it is up to the individual.

It is interesting but quite coincidental, that the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough coincides with another highly signifcant event in which millions of people dies and millions more were injured. 37 million casualties all told in fact. And we are remembering for the first time. Why would anyone want to remember that, we have never remembered it previously? Yes we remember every year at Armistice those who dies in the war, but we have never before marked the start of it.

Because it is significant. Because it changed the world. As did Hillsborough. It changed the way we watch and experience football in this country, a fact that many football fans recognise and have sympathy for the relatives of those involved in the disaster today. The victims of those other disasters you mentioned, and others like the Boxing Day Tsunmai, however sad, didnt effect change. That is why they are different.

As you say, it is up to the individual.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2014, 03:22:22 pm by Sad-Rovers »

It is interesting but quite coincidental, that the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough coincides with another highly signifcant event in which millions of people dies and millions more were injured. 37 million casualties all told in fact. And we are remembering for the first time. Why would anyone want to remember that, we have never remembered it previously? Yes we remember every year at Armistice those who dies in the war, but we have never before marked the start of it.

Because it is significant. Because it changed the world. As did Hillsborough. It changed the way we watch and experience football in this country, a fact that many football fans recognise and have sympathy for the relatives of those involved in the disaster today. The victims of those other disasters you mentioned, and others like the Boxing Day Tsunmai, however sad, didnt effect change. That is why they are different.

Wilts, to use a recent example I'd say that September 11th changed the world far, far more than the tragic events at Hillsborough. Again we're at the question of who decides when and how we should remember events such as these. I feel it's mawkish and a rather recent invention to hold minutes silence for events years after they take place, a good percentage of football fans weren't alive in 1989, how can they be expected to remember something which, to some, is as distant history as the Korean war. 

Remember, Armistice Day is to remember ALL those service people that have made the ultimate sacrifice, not just those of the 1914-1918 war.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:37:53 pm by Sad-Rovers »

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2014, 03:32:20 pm by nice one rovers »

SEVEN minutes of your life. SEVEN minutes. You sound too insensitive.

I won't say spoilt brat, as it caused upset last time I did.

Part of football should be about respect and remembrance.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:37:39 pm by nice one rovers »

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2014, 06:28:09 pm by RJHeader »

What an awful comment. Im sure things would be different if someone you knew was in that terrible incident at Hillsborough. Disgusting

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 23, 2014, 06:33:50 pm by BigColSutherland »
We had decided to go over to Hillsborough but we got chatting with the Liverpool fans who said there were thousands from Liverpool going without tickets, so we decided we had no chance.
They were wrong, but perhaps fortunately so in your case.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 23, 2014, 06:53:38 pm by MrFrost »

What an awful comment. Im sure things would be different if someone you knew was in that terrible incident at Hillsborough. Disgusting

Nature of today's society. People only bothered about themselves and how it effects them.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 23, 2014, 07:02:17 pm by wilts rover »
Sad, now that is

Wilts, to use a recent example I'd say that September 11th changed the world far, far more than the tragic events at Hillsborough. Again we're at the question of who decides when and how we should remember events such as these. I feel it's mawkish and a rather recent invention to hold minutes silence for events years after they take place, a good percentage of football fans weren't alive in 1989, how can they be expected to remember something which, to some, is as distant history as the Korean war. 

Remember, Armistice Day is to remember ALL those service people that have made the ultimate sacrifice, not just those of the 1914-1918 war.

Sad, now thats a strange misreading of my post. I said that Hillsborough changed football in this country. After it watching football was never the same again (unlike say the Ibrox Stadium disaster in 1971, which also saw the death of a large number of people who only went to watch a football match), not changed the world. I compared it to the First World War as a major event in this country. The consequence of WWI was to change the world. Now if you had argued that September 11th changed the world more than WWI, now that would be a good topic to debate.

Who decides, well its people who care. People who campaign to remember the victims and the events, to keep their memory alive and make sure that it doesnt happen again. And the fact that a good percentage of football fans today weren't alive is all the more reason to do it. I wasn't at the match yesterday but from what I have read it seems that a certain section of our 'support' have forgotten why there was a bloody great big fence there in the first place.

You are wrong about Armistice Day. It remembers the lives of service people who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the conflicts after 1914. We had quite a lot die before then - why aren't their names remembered?

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 23, 2014, 07:10:13 pm by Sad-Rovers »
Nature of today's society. People only bothered about themselves and how it effects them.

But where do we draw the line Mr Frost? At what point do we give the families some closure?

Perhaps I'm alone in this but, god forbid, I'd lost a family member at Hillsborough I wouldn't want to be reminded of it and have others using it as a platform to make whatever political points they can but then I'm quite old fashioned and do my grieving in private.

Quote from: wilts
You are wrong about Armistice Day. It remembers the lives of service people who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the conflicts after 1914. We had quite a lot die before then - why aren't their names remembered?

Possibly because WW1 was the first time we put a huge proportion of our population in uniform, before that the vast majority of our wars were fought with a small professional army in far off countries.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 23, 2014, 08:41:30 pm by wilts rover »
Sad

Somewhere between 2 million and 7 million people died in that little colonial conflict known as the Napolionic Wars, around 300 000 British. The are several reasons why we remember Armistace Day, but your assertion in the earlier post is incorrect and you can argue with me as much as you wish.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 23, 2014, 08:50:19 pm by Sad-Rovers »
Sad

Somewhere between 2 million and 7 million people died in that little colonial conflict known as the Napolionic Wars, around 300 000 British. The are several reasons why we remember Armistace Day, but your assertion in the earlier post is incorrect and you can argue with me as much as you wish.

So when would you like us to commemorate the Napoleonic Wars? Minutes silence on the 6 April for the end of the Siege of Badajoz?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 23, 2014, 08:59:56 pm by wilts rover »
When would I like you to? Why would I want you to do that? As I mentioned earlier it is up to the people who feel passionately about an issue to commemorate it. As I also mentioned earlier you were incorrect in saying that Armistice Day remembers all service personal and that that WWI was the first time we had mass casualties in conflict.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 23, 2014, 09:02:52 pm by hoolahoop »
Sad

I'm with you on this one and bringing King Richard 111 back to York to be buried.........Jeez he was butchered in 1485 ffs.
Different things are important to different folks but the one thing that 99.99% of the population is agreed about is that folk wanting to catch the 5:09 out of Ipswich is NOT bloody important. Some need to grow up and fast.  :mad:

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 23, 2014, 09:03:31 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Although Armistace Day  was basically  done to remember the end of WW1 (11.00am 11/11) and remember those that gave their life, I believe it remembers ALL fallen in conflict whether it be Northern Ireland, Falklands, Crimean, Napolionic  WW1 WW2 Gulf  etc and if you want to argue I'll take you round a few of my mates graves that died fighting alongside me in the Falklands and tell you exactly how they died and what they were doing at the time!!!!

Not aimed at you Wilts

Hey up Steve hope your doing ok

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 23, 2014, 09:09:48 pm by hoolahoop »
Although Armistace Day  was basically  done to remember the end of WW1 (11.00am 11/11) and remember those that gave their life, I believe it remembers ALL fallen in conflict whether it be Northern Ireland, Falklands, Crimean, Napolionic  WW1 WW2 Gulf  etc and if you want to argue I'll take you round a few of my mates graves that died fighting alongside me in the Falklands and tell you exactly how they died and what they were doing at the time!!!!

Not aimed at you Wilts

Hey up Steve hope your doing ok

Ayup Daggers , fine mate thanks managed my first game since October yesterday. We have played a lot better by all accounts but it was still far too much for the Wendies.
Struggled with the stairs mind :((( but the result more than made up for the pain I'm in now. :)
Sorry to hear you had to work though. Is the back ok at the moment ?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 23, 2014, 09:12:48 pm by Dagenham Rover »
No mate its nacked although still trying to work. I've got so much co codamol  in the the van if I got pulled up by the old bill I reckon I'd get done for dealing  :blink: back under the specialists another mri on the way etc etc

TinyPortal © 2005-2012