Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:26:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Takeover bid from  (Read 78431 times)

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Takeover bid from
« Reply #300 on May 31, 2014, 04:40:06 pm by nice one rovers »
Please. I don't understand the Lifeboat?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on May 31, 2014, 05:21:22 pm by Lipsy »
Is it something to do with this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwZX8t0BvQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwZX8t0BvQ</a>

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #302 on May 31, 2014, 05:22:18 pm by BigColSutherland »
Possibly an oblique reference to someone being sunk, or in need of bailing out, jumping ship and floating along in another, more buoyant, vessel.

Or possibly just a load of b*llocks.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on May 31, 2014, 05:30:03 pm by Wellred »
Possibly an oblique reference to someone being sunk, or in need of bailing out, jumping ship and floating along in another, more buoyant, vessel.

Or possibly just a load of b*llocks.

I would go with the latter.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on May 31, 2014, 05:34:10 pm by Wellred »
WR

No I don't believe their motivation is greed.

I didn't suggest it was greed. I am sure he will want to get back the money he has put into the club (Loans!!!)
Oh and for the benefit of all the posters who have said this should be kept quiet and not leaked to whoever, all this didn't happen this week. It has been ongoing for weeks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:48:51 pm by Wellred »

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on May 31, 2014, 06:30:37 pm by Lipsy »
Are you suggesting that news of this didn't break the moment it happened? *mind blown*

Next you'll be suggesting that the leak was timed for maximum exposure...

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on May 31, 2014, 06:42:17 pm by Wellred »
I'm not suggesting anything. I will leave that to you and those who are much better at it.
I do know for a fact that this has been ongoing now for some weeks.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on May 31, 2014, 06:48:43 pm by Lipsy »
I was only joshing. It was aimed at others rather than yourself, though I should have 'smileyed' it because it reads like I am trying to take the p. My bad - that wasn't my intention at all.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on May 31, 2014, 06:50:18 pm by Wellred »
 :boxing:  ;)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on May 31, 2014, 07:56:43 pm by River Don »
WR

No I don't believe their motivation is greed.

I didn't suggest it was greed. I am sure he will want to get back the money he has put into the club (Loans!!!)
Oh and for the benefit of all the posters who have said this should be kept quiet and not leaked to whoever, all this didn't happen this week. It has been ongoing for weeks.

TB has said before he understands football isn't a business, he's always gone into it in the knowledge he won't see his money returned.

That's probably why he's always been insistent that there are reasonable limits to the spending.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on May 31, 2014, 08:27:44 pm by Lipsy »
Also consistent with this:

“No-one goes into football to make money and there’s more business nonsense spoken than business sense. However, I do think it’s important that a town like Doncaster has a football team. The place gets a lot of bad press, most of it completely undeserved, the club, the racecourse helps to keep it on the map for the right reasons.

“If I can help in some way then 
I will. Money can’t buy you happiness, that is true, but it 
does give you the freedom and it’s what you do with that freedom that counts.”

http://ow.ly/xtFUS

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on May 31, 2014, 10:47:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That Free Press article contains a line which I find slightly disturbing.

He also told The Star: “I’m still a major shareholder and you never know what’s around the corner in football. I’ll always be there or thereabouts. This is my club.”

I said during the previous saga in response to JRs behaviour, particularly the staged resignation at Barnsley, it seems it's not about Doncaster Rovers FC or it's fans, it's about me, me, me.

Of course, some firmly believe he's earned that right. May be he has but the way he's going about things concerns me. I just hope KP is no where nears this and if the bid is local(ish) people who have the long term interests of the club built in to their proposition, then I'm sure if it is the best deal for the club then TB, DW and GB will approve it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on May 31, 2014, 10:53:00 pm by River Don »
That Free Press article contains a line which I find slightly disturbing.

He also told The Star: “I’m still a major shareholder and you never know what’s around the corner in football. I’ll always be there or thereabouts. This is my club.”

I said during the previous saga in response to JRs behaviour, particularly the staged resignation at Barnsley, it seems it's not about Doncaster Rovers FC or it's fans, it's about me, me, me.

Of course, some firmly believe he's earned that right. May be he has but the way he's going about things concerns me. I just hope KP is no where nears this and if the bid is local(ish) people who have the long term interests of the club built in to their proposition, then I'm sure if it is the best deal for the club then TB, DW and GB will approve it.

No, I believe with JR his love of Rovers comes first and is beyond doubt.

I only worry that his ambition for the club can make him blind to risk.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on May 31, 2014, 11:05:41 pm by Alickismyhero »
I am convinced that if the deal is good for the club then Bramall/Watson will go for it but if it doesn't look good for the club they will say NO, its as simple as that.

A friend of mine said "don't you think Tomo has advisers to stop him making a bad financial decision" the answer is no, just look at the footballers filing for bankruptcy because of bad advice!

Ryan can sell coal to Newcastle I just hope the Kid  gets good advice before he makes his decision.

At this moment in time SC are not involved but who is to say they won't pop up later?

Ryan was right when he congratulated Bramall and Watson for their efforts this season, he got that right.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on May 31, 2014, 11:11:16 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
RD

I only worry that his ambition for the club can make him blind to risk.

Nail on head.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on June 02, 2014, 09:58:37 am by wing commander »
    Having been away for a week I have to say it feels a bit like weve been here before...JR is obviously desperate to get back in the driving seat but it looks like doesn't have the funds to make it happen...Which its why he needs others...I was against Sequentia from the start solely down to been a hedge fund and I know all about those companies...This time at least on the face of it, its a rovers fan (no matter how bad his music is)..However as always we don't have enough info to make a descision if we think its good or bad...My concerns would start with money,yes Louis is worth a few bob but I cant see it being enough on his own so who else is riding the wagon apart from JR??
    As for JR himself I think his chairmen type days are best behind him,i lost a lot of respect for how he went about it last time and I would worry about the kind of risks he would take....That said until we know the facts we are all just guessing...........
    The thing that saddens me most though is once again the club is having to deal with these issues rather than building a squad for next year...This hurt us last time a lotmore than people realise and I'm worried that by the time its sorted out either way,we will be on the backfoot preparation and team wise before a ball is kicked....

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on June 02, 2014, 03:29:18 pm by PDX_Rover »
Spot on WC. Some people have goldfish syndrome.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on June 02, 2014, 08:27:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Our friend at Reading has seen the high risk strategy. On face value you think it may have paid off with their recent times in the Premiership.

"The Berkshire businessman, who it recently emerged had lost around £300m of his near £400m fortune, has been chairman of Reading since 1990 and is determined to find the right person to take over the club this time around.
"I will try not to make the same mistake again - a buyer who does not see the whole thing through," Madejski told BBC Radio Berkshire in February.
"Anyone who gets involved in football has got to have a big heart. Clearly we need someone with deep pockets. Any club does."

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on June 03, 2014, 09:12:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Definitely. The effect on the playing side is particularly frustrating and I hope all involved are accutely aware of that.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on June 03, 2014, 09:35:06 am by Lipsy »
Aye, read that on The Star's website earlier. Thing is, whilst it's likely to have a kernel of truth to it, it's another one of those fluff pieces innit?

'Dickov is understood.'
'Dickov is unlikely to get the go-ahead.'
'Ryan and Tomlinson are believed.'
'Which could have a knock-on effect on the club’s playing budget.'
'The Star understands that some of those eight, if not all, have been offered significantly reduced terms.'

In the absence of facts/sources/quotes, this - at least to me - is a 'hurry up and make your decision, board, you're going to ruin next season' piece rather than anything else. 

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on June 03, 2014, 09:46:01 am by wing commander »
   For the first time ever I'm really starting to question Johns true motives...He claims to have the club at heart but I'm no longer convinced...The sequential thing cost us dearly last year and how they went about things brought the club nothing but delays,uncertainty and split the fan base down the middle,who knows who we missed out on signing because everythings was on hold...Yet here we are again,i have great difficulty in believing the club leaked this,it makes everything so much harder..agents want more money,players hold off signing or renewing,and lots more mean in my opinion it has to come from the prospective buyers...And lets be honest they have form..I'm also starting to believe that its still Sequentia behind this and they are using our pop star friend as a shield to keep everyone in the dark.....However the clincher was when I read a recent quoted comment from JR that stated "it was HIS club"....its not John,its everybodys...

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #322 on June 03, 2014, 09:54:29 am by Wild Rover »
WC, I think Ryan meant DRFC was his club, as in he is a supporter, in the same way as you or I would say "DRFC is my club". RTID type comment. Just my opinion.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on June 03, 2014, 09:54:46 am by Lipsy »
That quote from JR might mean exactly what you suggest. It's also, phrasing-wise, exactly what fans of their respective clubs say until the day they die.

Fair's fair - he might have being implying that he thought it was His club; he might also have been merely speaking as a loyal fan. We simply don't know.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on June 03, 2014, 10:05:12 am by wing commander »
Yes you could both be right and as you say we don't know,and if that's was the only question mark I wouldn't be that worried...However its not is it...How he went about it last time infuriated me and its looking to be similar strategy again...
   Remember whatever the headline deal is now is not likely to be the full story..After how they alienated half the fan base last time,if I was Sequentia I would want to keep my name out of it to make the chances of success higher but once the deal is done don't be surprised to see another deal following straight after....Whatever the outcome, right now once again its hurting us at a critical time when we should be shaping a promotion squad not dealing with all this AGAIN...

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on June 03, 2014, 10:09:52 am by Lipsy »
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with any of the rest of it - I was just saying that that particular bit was open to interpretation.  :)

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on June 03, 2014, 10:15:09 am by Sad-Rovers »
I'm lead to believe that an announcement is imminent. (Days rather than weeks)

If you read the interview with Luke McCulloch in the Mail it states that LT is setting up a trust to buy DRFC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2646447/One-Direction-star-Louis-Tomlinsons-plans-invest-Doncaster-welcomed-defender-Luke-McCulloch.html

This ties in with what I've been told, however I think some people will be surprised by the members of this trust. (Again assuming my source is correct...)

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on June 03, 2014, 10:18:27 am by BigColSutherland »
Friday 6th is what I heard.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on June 03, 2014, 10:19:37 am by wing commander »
     Everything is open to interpetration as we don't have any real facts to go on...You can only go on your gut feelings...Mine is that this has been times to cause maximum disruption to the club and current board....And after his actions last time  I hope the only time we see JR back at the keepmoat is sat with us cheering on the boys.....But that's just my opinion...

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on June 03, 2014, 10:23:30 am by Sad-Rovers »
I think you're wrong WC. I think that the decision has already been made and we're now in the T crossing and I dotting stage.

I'd like to think that JR has learnt his lesson after last summers debacle, here's hopping because even I'll have trouble keeping the faith if we have a re-run of last time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012