Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 10:12:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Good Article  (Read 59219 times)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
Re: A Good Article
« Reply #120 on June 02, 2014, 03:01:39 pm by Lipsy »
I agree with you. I read a one-sided piece in the Mirror (with at least two typos in it that I could spot) and something on the Shoot website by a 15-year-old that told me that told me that Louis' deal was 'da bomb'.

Colour me converted.  :suicide:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on June 02, 2014, 04:56:37 pm by PDX_Rover »
Here's the Shoot! article by diminutive Celtic winger, Jimmy Johnson (sic)...

"It’s been a while since there was this much activity around the Keepmoat – almost an entire year in fact, and all because of one man, One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson.

The Donny supporter last year signed for the club on a non-contract basis, now he wants to buy it.

While some people may be upset at this potential prospect, at the end of the day it’s all about money, and we need it. If we want to bounce straight back into the Championship and consolidate in the second tier, we need an influx in our finances, otherwise, we’ll be a yo-yo club, or worst, for years to come.

However, there is more than just a large amount of money as part of the proposal. If Tomlinson does buy the club it’s rumoured to be in conjunction with a certain John Ryan, arguably one of the most beloved owners in recent history. Without Ryan, Doncaster Rovers Football Club would not exist. Tomlinson will attract the publicity and fans (even if they are just screaming teenagers), while Ryan will do all the business work – both will excel in their respective roles.

Without Ryan, everything seems to have deteriorated. Nothing personal against Bramall and Watson, as they tried their hardest to secure our Championship status, and we should be thankful for that, but Ryan just has that bit of charisma and more importantly astuteness when it comes to Rovers.

In short, I personally welcome our new famous owner(s). In today’s world of football, it’s very difficult to achieve anything without money. In the 2014-15 campaign, we could have it, perhaps in large amounts. This will give us the best possible chance of another promotion, sooner than fans may have expected after that heartbreaking final day of the season."

...... Reeks to me of a placed/scripted piece of editorial. Disrespectful to Mssrs Bramall and Watson, saying that things have deteriorated and implying that they are not astute where Rovers are concerned. The fact that they don't go flashing their pearlies and giving soundbites at the drop of a hat, but instead have a measured and professional approach to their dealings does not mean they are not astute. Their success as businessman suggests differently. This piece also is written as if it's a done deal. "Our new owner(s)" - wow, little Jimmy must have an important paper round to have such insider knowledge....

And if things had deteriorated last season, who was solely the public face of that discord??  Ahhhh, the goldfish syndrome...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:05:32 pm by PDX_Rover »

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on June 02, 2014, 05:54:27 pm by BigColSutherland »
Yawn

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on June 02, 2014, 07:24:47 pm by Wellred »

"It’s been a while since there was this much activity around the Keepmoat – almost an entire year in fact, and all because of one man, One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson.

The Donny supporter last year signed for the club on a non-contract basis, now he wants to buy it.

While some people may be upset at this potential prospect, at the end of the day it’s all about money, and we need it. If we want to bounce straight back into the Championship and consolidate in the second tier, we need an influx in our finances, otherwise, we’ll be a yo-yo club, or worst, for years to come.

However, there is more than just a large amount of money as part of the proposal. If Tomlinson does buy the club it’s rumoured to be in conjunction with a certain John Ryan, arguably one of the most beloved owners in recent history. Without Ryan, Doncaster Rovers Football Club would not exist. Tomlinson will attract the publicity and fans (even if they are just screaming teenagers), while Ryan will do all the business work – both will excel in their respective roles.

Without Ryan, everything seems to have deteriorated. Nothing personal against Bramall and Watson, as they tried their hardest to secure our Championship status, and we should be thankful for that, but Ryan just has that bit of charisma and more importantly astuteness when it comes to Rovers.

In short, I personally welcome our new famous owner(s). In today’s world of football, it’s very difficult to achieve anything without money. In the 2014-15 campaign, we could have it, perhaps in large amounts. This will give us the best possible chance of another promotion, sooner than fans may have expected after that heartbreaking final day of the season."

...... Reeks to me of a placed/scripted piece of editorial. Disrespectful to Mssrs Bramall and Watson, saying that things have deteriorated and implying that they are not astute where Rovers are concerned. The fact that they don't go flashing their pearlies and giving soundbites at the drop of a hat, but instead have a measured and professional approach to their dealings does not mean they are not astute. Their success as businessman suggests differently. This piece also is written as if it's a done deal. "Our new owner(s)" - wow, little Jimmy must have an important paper round to have such insider knowledge....

And if things had deteriorated last season, who was solely the public face of that discord??  Ahhhh, the goldfish syndrome...

For goodness sake try and see through that all embracing JR nasty man haze that surrounds you.
Like it or not things DID deteriorate last season. I don't know if you noticed living so far away but we ended up getting relegated.
That for me was deterioration.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on June 02, 2014, 07:34:32 pm by StocktonRover »

For goodness sake try and see through that all embracing JR nasty man haze that surrounds you.
Like it or not things DID deteriorate last season. I don't know if you noticed living so far away but we ended up getting relegated.
That for me was deterioration.

Maybe I'm alone in this, maybe not - but JR played his part in the deterioration that you say is demonstrated by relegation.

The farce that he created at Barnsley, the general uncertainty he caused played a huge part.

He was responsible for saving our club once upon a time, but it doesn't make him immune from criticism or above making ill advised and damaging choices for ever. 

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on June 02, 2014, 07:43:28 pm by bobjimwilly »
Yawn

I thought you had more about you than this sort of response, James?

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on June 02, 2014, 08:03:26 pm by BigColSutherland »
Did you think as highly of PDX?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on June 02, 2014, 08:54:23 pm by PDX_Rover »
It really doesn't bother me. I can dish it out and I can take it. What does bother me is that some folks, like young James here, you just can't argue with, without them getting personal. They'll take a contrary view sometimes for the sake of it, and bugger the past goings on or the lack of evidence or credibility....

Meanwhile, in the real world.... The man who destabilised the club a year ago is back with a new world beating plan. Come on John, don't just seed sensationalist stories in the Sun of Shoot! or The Beano or whatever.... Come out and present some detail. Reassure those who really matter - the supporters - as to what your vision involves.

Funny really, I remember giving Claire Ryan some advice on PR when she graduated from the same degree course I did a decade before her. John put her in touch with me. And I was happy to do so. So, James, I'm not really anti-John Ryan. What I am is passionate about Rovers and I am pro-having a f**king club to support in 10, 20, 30 years' time. But hey ho... What do I know.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on June 02, 2014, 08:58:59 pm by Mr1Croft »
In all honesty, and in my personal opinion I don't see how any of this being made public would benefit the club. Being timed (almost perfectly) after the spliff incident with Louis Tomlinson saw it make headline news and the front cover of The Sun - it may not be the most credible paper, but its one of the most popular - which probably sucked the club into a standstill almost instantly.

Agents of players who we may have been talking to will probably have immediately put talks on hold with us untill there is more information known once they get the sniff of more money. This will undoubtedly include those looking to renew as well as new players looking to come to the Keepmoat.

For a second season in a row Paul Dickov may have been told to operate 2 transfer polices, A (to the club's current budget) and B (to the budget of potential takeover), with JR being involved I have no doubt that Dickov will at least have been made aware of what may be available to him.

Not only does this mean that we may miss out on key targets, it also means that frustration from supporters slowly builds against Dickov as he fails to make signings (which unfortunately is out of his hands), I suspect in the coming weeks there will be mention of 'no ambition and interest' from the current board and will claim the lack of signings as evident to this fact. We may even be tempted with big names such as we were before.

So both of the takeover 'leaks' came during the off-season/transfer window where there is nothing happening on the pitch so dominated discussions between fans. The talk of 'administration' was also planted just before a January transfer window, incidentally all three were 'leaked' to the same newspaper (the Sun), couple that with JR's resignation timed an impeccable 4 minutes before a local rivalry (leaving a 4 hour window of rumors and gossip to build) and you have to say that those of the beliefs that all these were timed to have a big impact on the club and de-stable the club might have a point.

With that being said I believe it may be the same people/person behind this saga. Furthermore when you look at the finances involved it points to the conclusion that Tomlinson won't be Ryan's only 'silent partner'. Its no secret that Ryan's other business venture MYA isn't exactly drowning him in profits, and when you look at the amount he put into DRFC throughout his tenure (for which we are grateful) and you can't imagine his has much of his personal fortune left to do this on his own.

According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2014 Tomlinson is worth around £14 million, not bad for a 22 year old and truth be told will probably be worth more than that. But when you take into account his assets, record deals, merchandise deals, rights etc., you would imagine the most he can invest (which would dilute most of his personal fortune) would be around the £7 Million mark.

So looking at the finances of both and you would probably be looking around £12-£15 Million in the kitty (at the most) from the two of them. First of all they have to buy the club from the current shareholders. If you believe some of the rumors made about Terry Bramall and that he's only in it for the money it would cost at least £1 per share, JR owns 25% so that would mean around £9 Million leaving £6 Million in the pot. A figure less than our wage bill last season, it just doesn't make sense. Even if they bought the club for a £1, £15 Million isn't exactly going to launch an assault on League One or the Championship the following season.

I doubt even the most of optimistic people would agree that is enough, there has to be more to this and if you compare the role the media has been given to play in this with that of what happened previously this past year and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same people behind this.

What surprises me is how little some of us have learnt from all this, if anything last season should have taught us not to take things at face-value. A lot of vitrol and uncalled for accusations were thrown at Bramall, Watson and the rest of the board. We were told by certain people they weren't real supporters with no ambition that just want to see us in League One, furthermore we had banners on display at the Keepmoat and chants of "Bramall out" while we succumbed to defeat after defeat. You would have thought the pressure on Terry Bramall and the board was closing in and the easiest option would be to clean his hands with it and sell up. But what did he do? He increased the budget, funded Wellens' contract extension and brought back her Billy Sharp which was the words on most people's lips when asked "who do you want DRFC to sign?". Yes we did get relegated to League One but I believe the board gave us the best possible chance of survival.

Yet months later, the mention of some money and JR's return and we see some of our supporters once again saying it would be good because whilst we don't know much behind it JR and LT have to have more ambition than TB and DW. In fact I find that highly offensive to Dick Watson, given his health and recent hospital visits Dick has remained committed to DRFC throughout all of this yet apparently has no passion or ambition for DRFC.

Now, I'm not saying that JR and LT would be better for DRFC, neither am I saying that TB and DW are the best things since sliced bread but I do believe there is more to this than meets the eye (which is purely a personal observation may I add) and we should treat it with caution and respect the club's decision whatever that may be. Afterall we are not supporters of John Ryan or Terry Bramall, we are supporters of Doncaster Rovers are we not.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on June 02, 2014, 09:04:27 pm by PDX_Rover »
The deterioration caused in no small part by the SC saga that dragged on until Christmas...? I wholeheartedly agree Wellred. There was definitely deterioration. When the future of a club is up in the air, you have articles in the press scaremongering then the public display of daft as a brushness at Barnsley, it's not exactly positive is it?

I've sold my share to Sequentia. No i haven't.

I'm going to have Rovers go into admin. No I'm not.

O'Brien is involved (as mentioned by JR at the VSC event). No I am not (as the man himself said). Oh I was led into that by loaded questions...

You couldn't script it. Actually you could.  Who will be wheeled out next? Bernie Boldry? Dusty Bin? The Mad Hatter?

All geared to muddy the waters...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 02, 2014, 09:18:36 pm by RedJ »
I think a big part of the issue in terms of the squabbling is people are mistaking cautiousness for ungratefulness towards JR.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on June 02, 2014, 09:30:28 pm by Mr1Croft »
I think a big part of the issue in terms of the squabbling is people are mistaking cautiousness for ungratefulness towards JR.

Agreed.

But as people have rightfully pointed out being a hero doesn't make you untouchable.

I'm grateful to John Ryan for what everything he did for us and we will be forever in his debt, and not for a second do I genuinely believe John Ryan would ever intentionally do anything to bring harm to DRFC, but I do believe he can be blind to the risks involved because of the reward that would await him and the prize is too big.

So far he has been linked with a hedge-fund and a pop-star to fund this dream, that doesn't exactly scream out to me stability and security for the future of our club. I may be wrong but I'd rather not put the club's future on it without knowing more.

What I will say is that I want to remember John Ryan as the man who saved our club, and not the one that tarnished his reputation chasing a dream.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on June 02, 2014, 09:32:13 pm by IDM »

Spot on..

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on June 02, 2014, 10:00:36 pm by PDX_Rover »

Spot on..

Absolutely spot on.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on June 02, 2014, 10:02:35 pm by Alickismyhero »
I strongly support the views of Crofty and PDX

Fantastic effort in trying to keep this situation in proportion.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on June 02, 2014, 10:12:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very well put Lee. I think that represents the same thinking process and caution most ordinary Rovers fans have applied, again, to this latest bid.

I really hope there is much more to this than meets the eye, and it ticks all the boxes for the short term and the long term, otherwise it's going to be a sad conclusion for a man we all held in such high esteem.

Alas, it seems to be following the same pattern. Don't be surprised to hear of more soundbites/leaks/statements being readied for this weeks Free Press. 

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on June 02, 2014, 10:19:51 pm by dknward2 »
Just read mr1croft lets say statement and it sums it perfectly.

Lets hope this new TO saga gets sorted quickly either for or against whichever is found or seems right for the club and the fans, then let PD and the team get on with winning promotion back to the championship.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on June 03, 2014, 09:46:12 am by Wild Rover »
According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2014 Tomlinson is worth around £14 million, not bad for a 22 year old and truth be told will probably be worth more than that. But when you take into account his assets, record deals, merchandise deals, rights etc., you would imagine the most he can invest (which would dilute most of his personal fortune) would be around the £7 Million mark.

So looking at the finances of both and you would probably be looking around £12-£15 Million in the kitty (at the most) from the two of them. First of all they have to buy the club from the current shareholders. If you believe some of the rumors made about Terry Bramall and that he's only in it for the money it would cost at least £1 per share, JR owns 25% so that would mean around £9 Million leaving £6 Million in the pot. A figure less than our wage bill last season, it just doesn't make sense. Even if they bought the club for a £1, £15 Million isn't exactly going to launch an assault on League One or the Championship the following season.

Is it not possible that some posters are correct, there are OTHERS WITH MONEY involved in all this.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on June 03, 2014, 12:05:24 pm by Wellred »
My take on this is that maybe certain individuals didn't totally realise what they were getting themselves into and now want an exit where nobody loses face.
Sorry but I don't buy all this for the good of Doncaster and leaving the club in safe hands for future generations talk.
Just my personal opinion.
 :chair: :chair:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on June 03, 2014, 12:16:22 pm by River Don »
My take on this is that maybe certain individuals didn't totally realise what they were getting themselves into and now want an exit where nobody loses face.
Sorry but I don't buy all this for the good of Doncaster and leaving the club in safe hands for future generations talk.
Just my personal opinion.
 :chair: :chair:

I don't think they went chasing aft JR begging him to buy the club back.

If they do bow out now after their time involved with the club, despite everything that has been levelled at them, have they done anything but support the club?

Would you have preferred it they had never been involved?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on June 03, 2014, 12:18:47 pm by Wild Rover »
I find it difficult to believe TB/DW are only interested in the well being of DRFC long and short term in all this.
Were they that concerned when they sold Keepmoat, not a bit of it, when the money was too good to miss out on ( 3rd bid I think it was ), they sold. Again, its just my opinion, maybe I do them a disservice.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on June 03, 2014, 12:26:41 pm by Muttley »
Well, they're obviously not in DRFC to make a profit!

Maybe they (and the other shareholders) sold to Keepmoat when they received an offer that allowed them to go off and do the other things they wanted to do in life...like set up a charitable trust, invest in some worthwhile community projects etc

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on June 03, 2014, 12:28:22 pm by Sad-Rovers »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see through the "good of the club" reasoning for the veto of the last sale.

Let's say a dodgy Russian billionaire rocked up and offered TB and DW 100 million quid, do we still think they'd hold off "for the good of DRFC"?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on June 03, 2014, 12:30:54 pm by Wellred »

Maybe they (and the other shareholders) sold to Keepmoat when they received an offer that allowed them to go off and do the other things they wanted to do in life...like set up a charitable trust, invest in some worthwhile community projects etc

Maybe you don't give JR enough credit.
Maybe he sold them an idea similar to what he is now selling AN Other to become joint partners in a new deal for DRFC?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on June 03, 2014, 12:33:13 pm by Wellred »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see through the "good of the club" reasoning for the veto of the last sale.

Let's say a dodgy Russian billionaire rocked up and offered TB and DW 100 million quid, do we still think they'd hold off "for the good of DRFC"?

I never have bought any of this for the good of DRFC b******s

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on June 03, 2014, 12:33:57 pm by wing commander »
  It's interesting to note that everybody who was in favour of the Sequentia bid is in favour of this one and vice versa too...Im trying to keep as open mind as I can as I don't know the facts but I am a suspicious git..And if this turns out 6 months down the line to be a front and a stalking horse to get the irish sharks in I for one will never trust the man again...I know more than most what he has done for Rovers but he showed the club and fans no respect with how he went about it last time either...

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on June 03, 2014, 12:41:51 pm by Wild Rover »

I am sure offers 1 & 2 did that.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 03, 2014, 12:46:31 pm by wing commander »
 In the interests of equality, Wonders if some people need a history lesson on who sold there shares to a certain Ken Richardson in the first place ??

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on June 03, 2014, 12:51:08 pm by Sad-Rovers »
In the interests of equality, Wonders if some people need a history lesson on who sold there shares to a certain Ken Richardson in the first place ??

Also in the interests of balance I'll add:

Under pressure from certain sections of our fans

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on June 03, 2014, 12:51:49 pm by River Don »

I am sure offers 1 & 2 did that.

They're business men, they were selling a business and they wanted to get full value for it. I don't see what the problem with that is.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012