Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:41:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp  (Read 6130 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Billy Sharp
« on June 09, 2014, 11:48:59 am by graingrover »
My impression is that Billy's form suffered due to the lack of security and the uncertainty about his future . This was made worse by the faceless way Southampton are dealing with him...

He and JR have a good strong relationship which Billy appreciates . The takeover will put JR back in a position to  ' influence' investment and approving the list of player targets .

Despite Billy misfiring during his last stay the  Rovers could again provide him with the security he and his family craves .. and  provide us with the old Billy we knew and supported . 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfc-steve

• Forum Member
Re: Billy Sharp
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2014, 11:50:50 am by drfc-steve »
Would love him back!!! Billy Sharp & Paul Green to return please.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2014, 11:54:15 am by RedArmy »
He'd get 20+ in league 1. But unfortunately only place I see Billy going is sheff united. He was obsessed with them and there FA cup run during his time at Rovers (not saying that's a bad thing, he does support them after all) but I believe that's where he will end up. Good luck to him whatever happens always be a legend to me.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2014, 12:21:59 pm by wing commander »
    I have to say Brian whilst I will always be a fan of Billy Sharp..If that's was the case for his poor performances in his last spell I don't have much sympathy....Firstly he knew how much trouble we were in and it was up to him to work hard and grab both the opportunity to keep us up and put himself bang in the shop window for a good club during close season...And for me he did neither,sometimes you have to make your own future destiny rather than trade on what was once before...

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2014, 12:23:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
He'd get 20+ in league 1. But unfortunately only place I see Billy going is sheff united. He was obsessed with them and there FA cup run during his time at Rovers (not saying that's a bad thing, he does support them after all) but I believe that's where he will end up. Good luck to him whatever happens always be a legend to me.

If Billy and his dad think they have changed the way they treat players over at Sheff U he might go back, being his boyhood club and all that, but I do know at the time we bought Sharp, his dad said he would never want Billy to go back. Mind you Kevin Blackwell was their manager at that time, which might have been a big factor.

drfc-steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 09, 2014, 12:26:56 pm by drfc-steve »
So what you are saying is that he might or might not, go back?  :P

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2014, 12:48:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Billy goes to a league 1 club it will be Sheff Utd. While we have the same manager he will not return here even as his second choice in league 1.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 09, 2014, 12:56:01 pm by River Don »

If Billy and his dad think they have changed the way they treat players over at Sheff U he might go back, being his boyhood club and all that, but I do know at the time we bought Sharp, his dad said he would never want Billy to go back. Mind you Kevin Blackwell was their manager at that time, which might have been a big factor.

Billy might fit in much better working with Nigel Clough. It seems more his kind of football and his kind of manager.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 09, 2014, 01:07:57 pm by RedJ »
If Billy goes to a league 1 club it will be Sheff Utd. While we have the same manager he will not return here even as his second choice in league 1.

Quotes please?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 09, 2014, 01:21:16 pm by Copps is Magic »
At championship level, Billy Sharp scores 1 in 2 in his good patches and 1 in 3 in his bad patches. He's on par with the likes of Ross McCormack in terms of stats but probably a little bit behind the the likes of Austin and Rhodes.

Dickov mis-managed Sharp IMO and I think his relationship with Rovers is over. I'd be very surprised if he ended up at Sheff U as well as half of the clubs in the championship will want him (if the money is right).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 09, 2014, 01:29:43 pm by GazLaz »
Why do you think he mismanage him?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 09, 2014, 01:35:00 pm by steve@dcfd »

Quotes please?

"Football is the beautiful game mostly because of what happens on the pitch, but the game doesn’t lose much of its appeal even when people just talk about it."

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 09, 2014, 01:44:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Why do you think he mismanage him?

I think Dickov mismanaged the whole team. I don't support him as manager.

As for Sharp. He was never integrated into the team - we built a whole system around playing to Brown (which worked in patches I am not saying it didn't) and when we signed a proven championship goal scorer we didn't change. Admittedly there was a lot of injuries at one point, and with Keegan and Furman in midfield there wasn't much option to change the system. However, there was a game (and my short-term memory fails me here) where everyone absolutely slated Sharp afterwards for not seeming to give a shit, but what I saw was our whole team failing to pass to him and him getting frustrated. And then the last few games of the season - taking him out was the right decision - but we should of brought him on earlier (i.e. at Leicester).

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 09, 2014, 01:47:51 pm by RedJ »

Quotes please?

"Football is the beautiful game mostly because of what happens on the pitch, but the game doesn’t lose much of its appeal even when people just talk about it."

Ah cheers, that goes a long way to proving your point...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 09, 2014, 01:52:11 pm by GazLaz »
Sharp was woefully out of for and couldn't handle it. He mismanaged himself.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 09, 2014, 02:09:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
Sharp was woefully out of for and couldn't handle it. He mismanaged himself.

I find it incredibly naive to believe that in a team sport it is the sole responsibility of the individual to manage themselves.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 09, 2014, 02:18:10 pm by GazLaz »
He has to manage his own head.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 09, 2014, 02:27:58 pm by Copps is Magic »
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Dickov works in next year. Whether he tries to find a striker who can work with Brown (Theo?), whether he sticks with Brown on his own or goes for totally new line-up (last one least likely).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 09, 2014, 02:32:20 pm by GazLaz »
Has anyone ever been prolific playing alongside Brown? I have a theory that they haven't but I've been wrong once before. He holds it up well but directly creates nothing and doesn't score many. He's limited for me, although you can't knock his attitude and effort.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 09, 2014, 03:29:33 pm by since-1969 »
Billy Sharp is yesterday's chip paper . He came back and failed miserably . It's time to
Look At other prospects who ARE willing to help the club and not just stand around like little turd missing chance after chance .

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 09, 2014, 03:41:22 pm by Ldr »

Has anyone ever been prolific playing alongside Brown? I have a theory that they haven't but I've been wrong once before. He holds it up well but directly creates nothing and doesn't score many. He's limited for me, although you can't knock his attitude and effort.
Gregg Blundell?

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 09, 2014, 03:41:43 pm by dumbroofer »
IMO on billy sharp .....
He was and is way to good to play along side the team we had/have.
They couldn't get on his wavelength, so no wonder he was , and again just my take ..pi***d off with what was going off around him.
Opinions like onions you see

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 09, 2014, 03:46:32 pm by godlike1 »
Whilst the systems we played did not always suit him, he was poor and too often either outpaced, out fought, out jumped, not sharp enough etc etc

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 09, 2014, 04:10:20 pm by nortikorner »
no thanks

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 09, 2014, 05:34:57 pm by StocktonRover »
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Dickov works in next year. Whether he tries to find a striker who can work with Brown (Theo?), whether he sticks with Brown on his own or goes for totally new line-up (last one least likely).
That's assuming Brownie is still here next season?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 10, 2014, 01:35:34 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Personally i would love him back,show him he is wanted and valued and that will get the best from him,i'm sorry but Dickov's total faith in Chris Brown,didn't result in him scoring enough to keep us up.
All we got out of that faith is relegation and Brown got a player of the year trophy.
Not Browns fault,Billy at his best needs the team to revolve around him,if he had decided early on,Sharp is my number one,there might have been a different outcome,because for me,i don't think he had one good game.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 10, 2014, 02:18:41 am by streatham dave »
From memory Brown was a lot quicker and a different type of player in his first spell with us which might account for Blundell or whoever else he was paired up with at the time being prolific. Brown's hold up play is now better IMHO than first time around but this is to the detriment of his overall play. Perhaps with age he has slowed and has had to change his game or perhaps managers see a big bloke and have coached something out of him. One thing that is true about Brown is that he is a grafter and I appreciate that aspect of his character/game.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 10, 2014, 07:45:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
I suspect Brown appeared quicker back then due to the slower, lower league opposition.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 10, 2014, 07:53:13 am by GazLaz »
Most footballers are quicker at 20 than they are at 30.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 10, 2014, 08:48:54 am by Copps is Magic »
Most footballers are quicker at 20 than they are at 30.

Any evidence to support this?

I think the orthodox opinion is that most athletes peak between 22-30 years old at a broad range and around 25 at a specific range. Usain Bolt aint doing bad at 27 going on 28.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012