Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:11:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 22030 times)

Jenny

• VSC Member
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #30 on July 25, 2014, 12:22:49 pm by Jenny »
Bread was always my biggest downfall... I would rather sit and eat that than choc etc. I just don't buy it now, if it's not in the flat it can't be eaten.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 25, 2014, 12:29:41 pm by Filo »
Bread was always a big thing with me, I had to wipe my plate spotless with bread and butter, or my meal wasn't finished

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 25, 2014, 08:48:14 pm by River Don »
The thing with bread is it depends on how much highly processed ingredients it has. Most supermarket bread including brown bread, is highly processed, often brown bread is made with refined flour and coloured with caramel. Not good, not very much different from eating refined sugar.

The best bet for a healthier bread from a supermarket is rye bread.

Or you could go for a home bread maker and make sure you keep all the husky, sawdust stuff in it that makes bread a healthy choice.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 28, 2014, 01:01:53 pm by Mike_F »
I know there is still plenty of shite that doesn't do my overall health any good in diet pop but by cutting out the full-fat stuff and switching to Pepsi Max I've found that I can still enjoy great-tasting fizzy drinks.

Another one to try (particularly in the warm weather) is diet ginger beer mixed 50:50 with Ocean Spray light cranberry juice. About 25 calories a pint and it's delicious with a few ice cubes. And for a treat, a shot or two of vodka!

Filo, I was in a state where I couldn't exercise for five minutes without feeling like I was going to faint or throw up a few months ago but I'm now going for 15-25 mile rides on a mountain bike two or three times a week and I'm constantly looking forward to my next ride. The Strava app is great for tracking your progress and challenging yourself to beat your times over various segments.

My wife joined a local group to do the "couch to 5k" running thing and it's been fantastic for her too.

If you can't find as much time as you'd like for "proper" exercise, make a few simple changes like taking the stairs instead of lifts and escalators. Every little helps!

Good luck with your continued well-being plan!

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 28, 2014, 04:22:22 pm by rich1471 »
First of all good on you  for losing the weight in march 2013 I was sick of being over weight I was 18st and nearly 40 year old so I started by cutting out bread, potato and went from drinking 6 pints a day to around 6 pints a week that was the hardest part but I also wrote down why I was fat and then I cancelled sky TV as watched TV about six hours a day and I work full time 55 hours per week and brought a spinning bike and cycled 1hour a day after my tea today I weight 11st 4 oz and lost 10 inch of my waste you have good days and bad days but you will lose as much as want just keep at it and good look and running is bad for you knees

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 28, 2014, 04:42:51 pm by IC1967 »
Good on you fatties for trying to lose weight. Unless more fatties follow your example the NHS will go bankrupt looking after you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/laura-donnelly/10174593/Obesity-bankrupting-the-NHS-warns-peer.html

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 28, 2014, 07:18:37 pm by GazLaz »
This is like a group therapy session!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 28, 2014, 07:22:16 pm by 5minstogo »
This is like a group therapy session!

Cheaper than Weight**tchers too!

Also,
Doncaster Athletics Club start their next "Pacers" scheme on 9 September. They aim to get people running from scratch.  Check out their website.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 28, 2014, 08:57:47 pm by Draytonian III »
Ive lost nearly 1.75 stones in 4 months , I know its no where near as much as some on here,but its a start,only have bread on a Saturday and potatoes on a Sunday,cut down on the lager. Pasta and salad for snap at work ,brown rice and chicken etc for my tea . I feel loads fitter and sleep better

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 28, 2014, 09:03:46 pm by RobTheRover »
I've dropped a stone and 3/4 too. 8 weeks.  When I go on my hols I didnt want Greenpeace dragging me off the beach and back to sea.

Another 2 stone and I'll be at my fighting weight.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 28, 2014, 09:40:50 pm by River Don »
So what's going on?

Why are so many of us suddenly deciding to get fitter?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 28, 2014, 09:42:34 pm by Filo »
So what's going on?

Theres a chance we might get a game :)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 28, 2014, 10:30:58 pm by Iberian Red »
I always eat, indulge, then stick my fingers down my throat.
Works a treat.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 28, 2014, 10:35:28 pm by Iberian Red »
I always eat, indulge, then stick my fingers down my throat.
Works a treat.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 28, 2014, 10:39:42 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Want to go for the hat-trick?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 28, 2014, 11:48:48 pm by Mike_F »
So what's going on?

I reckon it's one of the few positive things to come from social media.

People get the "therapy" and motivation from their peers, realise it's a doable task and get cracking.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 28, 2014, 11:51:11 pm by RobTheRover »
So what's going on?

Actually, I've had some new bedroom furniture made and there is this full length mirror and I didnt recognise the fat kitson I saw in it one morning.

I assumed it was me, or else MrsRTR had some bloody explaining to do.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on July 30, 2014, 10:15:37 am by Not Now Kato »
What worked for me was replacing breakfast by a huge bowl of home made muesli every morning. Not that cardboard shite Alpen. Make it yourself. I make a huge tub every Sunday. Big bag of porridge oats, crush up cashew nuts, almonds, whatever other nuts you fancy, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins and cut up dates. Apart from the oats being very good GI food, a huge bowl of that in a morning sets like concrete in your stomach. I find that I totally stop snacking or even wanting lunch and I can go on till 6-7pm before getting hungry.

Thanks for the recipe BST.  Made some yesterday, really good, way better than that Alpen stuff.  No sugar, no salt, great taste.  :thumbsup:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 01, 2014, 11:28:06 am by River Don »
So Filo,

How's the new healthy, weight loss regime going this week?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on August 01, 2014, 01:08:28 pm by Filo »
Stayed the same this week, but I'm not too disappointed having lost 6lb last week, I'm going to Spain on Tuesday so I'll miss Tuesdays weigh in, I get back the following Tuesday just in time to see the damage done by my holiday

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 01, 2014, 01:10:00 pm by RobTheRover »
Enjoy your hols, Dave.  I dont think you will do too much damage unless you are going All-Inclusive.....

;-)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 01, 2014, 01:32:51 pm by Dare to dream! »
I would miss that weigh in Filo, it will be water weight. Just resume your routine and weigh in the following week

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 01, 2014, 01:43:22 pm by River Don »
Have a good break,

You will eat and drink more of course but it is also an opportunity to be a bit more active, do some walking, take a dip in the pool and you may not gain too much at all.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 01, 2014, 01:52:50 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
A bit of nudga aerobics will help too.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 01, 2014, 01:59:10 pm by Filo »
Have a good break,

You will eat and drink more of course but it is also an opportunity to be a bit more active, do some walking, take a dip in the pool and you may not gain too much at all.

I do go in the pool often, but it's with the sunglasses on and more of an observational sort of thing rather than activity based :)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 01, 2014, 02:06:04 pm by River Don »
Aye well, it's only a matter of putting in a bit of actual swimming before settling back with the shades.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 01, 2014, 02:07:06 pm by RedJ »
Just think of it as looking for the optimum viewing position. ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 01, 2014, 02:26:42 pm by Filo »
I have gone up 3 notches on my belt since I started

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 01, 2014, 02:37:21 pm by roversdude »
Good effort everyone
I need to start doing something - having always been actively fit through gym etc - I had an operation on my shoulder that sidelined me for a couple of months - since then feel like I'm falling to bits so need to kickstart the diet
Out of all replies BST sounds best option for me personally
Might try getting weighed with a pocket full of change too

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 01, 2014, 02:55:51 pm by River Don »
I have gone up 3 notches on my belt since I started

That's great but try to use it as the incentive to keep going rather than an excuse to allow a notch or two back because you're on holiday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012