Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:07:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: worrying issues behind the scenes too  (Read 13960 times)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: worrying issues behind the scenes too
« Reply #90 on September 19, 2014, 02:01:30 pm by Dagenham Rover »
But the the quality in the jibba jabba was last time I was in there was pretty decent and centreplate were doing a good job and presumably still are, what they can't get their heads round is catering for the masses,  so split the contract let centrplate do what they are good at the corporate day to day side, franchise the matchday kiosks to local catering suppliers

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on September 19, 2014, 02:20:42 pm by silent majority »
C'mon Kev, there's nobody who has pushed harder for better service from the catering team than I have, even before Centreplate became involved.

And I'm not defending anybody!! The point I'm making is that until we understand the scope of the contract then making suggestions about utilising local companies, or even certain pie makers will not meet the clubs, and eventually our, expectations.

All I'm doing is giving some insight into the operation, nothing more than that.

PS - Its not tens plenty its 20's Plenty!  ;) ;)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on September 19, 2014, 02:27:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we have to accept it's not going to change.  We also have to accept that one provider for the whole lot is the best option for the club as a business, if not as a whole for the supporters on matchday.  But then would you rather the club made less money for a better burger?  Difficult one that.

Yes things need to improve, but not as radically as some suggest I would say.  Equally what we must remember is it isn't as simple as just changing to local suppliers.  Do you know how much that costs?

My work covers a lot of this though for a different company and it would cost the club substantial amounts to both terminate the contract and margins would be much smaller using local businesses, who perhaps would not even have the ability to deliver the service required adequately anyway.

What has to happen is more working with this company to make sure they get better.  That is the key thing as I see it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 19, 2014, 02:40:01 pm by River Don »
I don't think we'd expect the club to terminate contracts BFYP. We know we're stuck with Centreplate for the time being.

If you were to sell concessions to local business, I assume they would have to commit to giving a level of service.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 19, 2014, 02:45:57 pm by wing commander »

C'mon Kev, there's nobody who has pushed harder for better service from the catering team than I have, even before Centreplate became involved.

And I'm not defending anybody!! The point I'm making is that until we understand the scope of the contract then making suggestions about utilising local companies, or even certain pie makers will not meet the clubs, and eventually our, expectations.

All I'm doing is giving some insight into the operation, nothing more than that.

PS - Its not tens plenty its 20's Plenty!  ;) ;)

Okay accepting all that...Why then in your opinion are we sat here receiving the quality and service levels that we are after ALL this time..??? That is the fundamental question, I sort of accepted it whilst I was under the impression the club had little say in performance levels,but now I know they do frankly I'm amazed the club don't seem capable of doing much about it...Remember when comical Ali stood on the top of that hotel and swore they were winning,when the yank tanks were rolling down the street behind him....That's what one of there own staff described to me as the truth behind there promises...So BFYP is right in the aspect it wont change...Change is only possible with desire and there seems precious little enthusiasm to do that from the powers that be...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on September 19, 2014, 02:48:56 pm by silent majority »
My opinion? I think its one person in particular.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on September 19, 2014, 05:05:18 pm by Dagenham Rover »
We have a meeting with centre plate to thrash out the issues, service improves for a week or two then declines, we have another meeting to thrash it out this time we are offered very good samples of food we hope we've sorted it,  things improve for a few weeks then it rapidly declines,
We have a meeting..............then a new season starts and we are back to square one total utter garbage............meanwhile the corporate/day to day wedding food carry's on at a more than acceptable standard (and so it should)
Personally I think someone's salary is profit based and he'll do the bare minimum for the  masses while making sure the top knobs are looked after properly as they are paying premium prices .........oh wait so are the masses

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on September 19, 2014, 05:13:47 pm by raggytash »
If the food is that bad and beer overpriced, simply boycott the food outlets and if everyone does this, something will happen straightaway

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on September 19, 2014, 06:25:13 pm by silent majority »
Boycotting damages the club in the process. We have to find the right solution.

EpsTheMightyReds

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on September 19, 2014, 07:03:23 pm by EpsTheMightyReds »
I've followed this thread with interest (and previous threads on this subject) for quite a while. Before I go any further, I must declare that I run a family catering business where through the summer we cater at music festivals, weddings, private parties etc, so I have some understanding of this business and associated costs / issues etc.
Firstly, as a lifelong supporter of some 40 years, I agree with most posters that the quality, cost and service at the minute is not quite what I would like. As a result I very rarely bother spending my money at the Keepmoat, usually eat and drink before the game.
Commercially, I just cannot see how anything other than a long term, all encompassing, 7 days a week catering contract makes sense due to
there being a very small window of opportunity for any caterer to take any money on match day alone, specially if you are outside the ground. Therefore the temptation is to do it on the cheap, hence some of the chancers on the street corners who turn out cheap, low quality food with no pitch fee and possibly without all the overheads that come with a legit catering business I.e public liability insurance etc.
Wing Commander, I tend to agree with your comment that it is unlikely that anything will change. The commercial world of football catering doesn't appear ready to try something different.
Street food is on the up in some of our more creative, forward thinking towns / cities. By street food I mean unique, small, local businesses who take pride in serving high quality, local produce. DRFC could create a real buzz on match day around the ground. There could be a dozen or so different food outlets all providing food unlike the usual burger and hot dog. This could grow into other local businesses benefitting from a large footfall ( relatively speaking ) spending more time at the Keepmoat before and after the game.
Unfortunately I don't think there is enough will or vision to try something different and break away from the short sighted view of a traditional catering contract.
SM or anyone else of any influence at the club, PM me if you want me to point you in the direction of what is happening in other parts of the country or if there is any appetite to experiment with something different. Personally, if there was a hog roast, wood fired pizza, Mexican etc around the outside of the ground plus other things going off, I would be quite happy to arrive early and spend my money.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on September 19, 2014, 08:03:14 pm by lee.j09 »
Boycotting damages the club in the process. We have to find the right solution.

maybe its what the club needs a kick up the backside!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on September 19, 2014, 08:07:08 pm by wing commander »
    Great post Eps...It's in everbodys interests to get this sorted which is why it frankly bothers me so greatly at the little will or enthusiasm from either party to get a proper grip of it...Whilst I fully accept Martins point that a boycott is bad for the short term returns for the club..I for one support one in the long term interests of the club..The returns they are getting now are not being maximised to there potential,an awful lot of people have given up with it...If we drive that down to a level that's causes issues to both party's then and only then will they seriously try and sort it out...That in turn will lead to greater take up and higher returns for the club....

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on September 19, 2014, 10:07:52 pm by River Don »
Eps,

This is what we want, no doubt! Local business supplying good quality local produce. I don't really care if it's a wood fired spicey fajita or a simple bacon sandwich. So long as someone cares about it and their customers.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on September 20, 2014, 02:40:27 pm by Sandy Lane »
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was just thinking on a bit from these latest posts and wanted to clarify if the suggestion is that food vendors set up carts outside the Keepmoat on match days?  I'm not sure if it's already being done, but I know at other sporting venues I attend this is the case and tbh many times they are the highlight of the food experience.  It seems a good idea for the various vendors, and good for the fans too.  However it would not help with the  Keepmoat's income from renting out the space inside.  Perhaps this is a short term solution and if it takes off with the fans, the KM could offer a contract inside once it's deemed profitable for everyone.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
BVB
« Reply #104 on September 20, 2014, 05:31:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Farcical. Thought we'd try it again. Went in before match and they had run out of 1879. Persuaded mates to go in after. They weren't ready to serve. 2 on bar. Queue building up. Eventually got to front and asked for Guiness. Sorry run out. Well time has run out, no more 2nd and 3rd chances.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on September 20, 2014, 08:10:09 pm by mrfrostsdad »
No paper towels in the bog BEFORE kick off.

Just saying!

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on September 21, 2014, 09:32:14 am by lee.j09 »
ran out of bottles of cider today in south stand 2 mins after halftime whistle went..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012