Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:29:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Theo's penalty  (Read 17835 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Theo's penalty
« Reply #90 on September 24, 2014, 01:54:04 pm by IDM »
Apart from the penalty miss last night, Theo didn't do too badly.  Put a shift in, but perhaps without the quality we'd hope for, plus he won the penalty.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on September 24, 2014, 02:17:21 pm by Colin C No.3 »
It's not just his penalty but I think he is shocking. Pace is his only positive but he never uses it he never makes runs to help his team mates or get himself into a goal scoring opportunity. He should sit on the bench analyse the game and watch what Tyson does, when things aren't going your way you have to work hard and theo doesn't

You never saw the one against Crawley when he raced clear of the defender and put a cross in for Tyson?, Tysons marker just cut the cross out
A cross in for Tyson whose marker just cut out? Don't get me started!

Theo/Banjo/Bulls Arse!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on September 24, 2014, 06:31:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Didn't look the worst penalty in the world to be fair. Hard and low. A bit close to the keeper but that's harder for him to get down to than one further away and a yard off the floor.

Hard off to the keeper for a good save.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on September 24, 2014, 06:40:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hard? By eck BST if Alick Jeffrey was alive today he'd be turning in his grave.   :huh:

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 24, 2014, 06:48:15 pm by Copps is Magic »
As long as you haven't got a hard-on for the keeper.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on September 24, 2014, 06:53:33 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Didn't look the worst penalty in the world to be fair. Hard and low. A bit close to the keeper but that's harder for him to get down to than one further away and a yard off the floor.

Your coddling Theo there BST. He passed it a yard right of centre of the goal, and barely strong enough to be rated as a proper pass too. Clueless penalty kick.

Presumably the penalty taker decision making process has been discussed - someone needs to take the rap for deciding the process or going against it.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on September 24, 2014, 06:55:26 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Apart from the penalty miss last night, Theo didn't do too badly.  Put a shift in, but perhaps without the quality we'd hope for, plus he won the penalty.

Try telling that to some of the idiots on facebook

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on September 24, 2014, 06:56:18 pm by Donnybax »

you can only defend him so much BST. Fair play to the keeper for saving it but it wasn't a good penalty

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on September 24, 2014, 07:09:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Apparently he's scored 10 out of the last 10 penalties he's taken, when he persuaded Jed Steer to stay behind for some extra spot kick practice.

:chair:

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on September 24, 2014, 07:30:22 pm by pib »
Did McIndoe ever miss a penalty for us? He had a truly immense record. One for the stattos but it must have been 12-0.

I think he may have missed a Trevor Kettle enforced retake (we've fell foul of a couple of them over time!) against Macclesfield in 03/04. He scored the first but missed the retake I think.

He missed one against Walsall in our first season in League One as well. Good record overall though!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on September 24, 2014, 07:36:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I said it wasn't the worst penalty I've seen. As I said, putting it on the floor a yard to the side of the keeper is preferable to putting it a yard in the air and three yards to his side. The keeper did very well to get down so close to his own body. Guessed the right direction Even then, he only just made it. 8 times out of 10, that would have been a goal.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on September 24, 2014, 07:42:38 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The keeper dived and didn't even need to reach for the ball, only put his hand to the ground.

Combine poor placement with a soft hit and you've got a very poor penalty, which is exactly what it was.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on September 24, 2014, 09:01:11 pm by IDM »

Try telling that to some of the idiots on facebook

I'd rather eat my own shit than get involved with that group....

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on September 24, 2014, 09:25:13 pm by andysly »
As BST said not the worst penalty ever. That award still belongs to Martin Woods at Newcastle

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on September 24, 2014, 09:31:10 pm by glosterred »
As BST said not the worst penalty ever. That award still belongs to Martin Woods at Newcastle

Yep that was far worse than Theo's last night - don't think that one would have gone in if there had been a second set of goals!

COYR

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on September 24, 2014, 09:50:09 pm by GazLaz »
I said it wasn't the worst penalty I've seen. As I said, putting it on the floor a yard to the side of the keeper is preferable to putting it a yard in the air and three yards to his side. The keeper did very well to get down so close to his own body. Guessed the right direction Even then, he only just made it. 8 times out of 10, that would have been a goal.

The thing with that penalty he didn't have to guess which way he was going. He telegraphed it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on September 24, 2014, 09:56:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Geoff Hurst had the best idea, Blast it straight down the middle and if the keepers not quick enough to get out of the way of it, he'll end up in the back of the net along with the ball!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on September 24, 2014, 09:58:03 pm by glosterred »
Geoff Hurst had the best idea, Blast it straight down the middle and if the keepers not quick enough to get out of the way of it, he'll end up in the back of the net along with the ball!

As Tyson did at Watford

COYR

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on September 24, 2014, 10:01:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
You can only use that technique if you're looking up and you see the keeper starting to move the other way. He had his head down, so it was premeditated in his mind he was placing it there whatever. which relied on luck. Not good for a penalty taker.

Brain Stock was one of our best ever penalty takers as he used to amble up to the ball, head up, delay and wait for the keeper to move and he stroked it the other way.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on September 24, 2014, 10:05:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How to take a penalty. Brian Glover demonstrates (around the 6 minute mark)

http://youtu.be/v3cayRMnVb8

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on September 24, 2014, 10:30:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Gaz

Agreed. It was very telegraphed.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on September 24, 2014, 10:49:18 pm by bobjimwilly »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badE2gTu4UY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badE2gTu4UY</a>

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on September 25, 2014, 12:05:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badE2gTu4UY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badE2gTu4UY</a>

I like the way the camera tries to follow the trajectory of the ball, even at the risk of severe and chronic cervical damage to the filmer.

Really cool the way they first follow it upwards as it rockets into orbit, then, within 1 second, point the camera downwards as the ball, in hypersonic orbit, passes by Australia, causing some poor f***er on the radar at Woomera to papper his strides in fear.

Even today, there's an ex-centre half from Alania Vladikhavkaz who became a cosmonaut after finishing wi the togger, who is currently in the International Space Station, and pops his head out the window every 30 mins to try to connect with the infamous Woods-ball as it flies past.

I also like how Woods's first reaction to the Worst f**king Penalty in f**king History is to check that his hair is all in place.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:17:58 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on September 25, 2014, 12:27:22 pm by Boomstick »
Just seen Robinsons penalty again, Jesus wept it was poor. worse than woods at Newcastle, at least he put his foot through it.
Robinson just seemed to roll it to the side of the keeper.

There is a reason he was 5th choice at Derby, and a reason they got rid of him.
 :rolleyes:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on September 25, 2014, 12:34:17 pm by Filo »
The best players in the world miss penalties, some even fail to get them on target, and are paid 100's of thousands of pounds per week and they get no where near the grief that Theo is getting from the typical d**khead Rovers fans, give the lad a break FFS!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on September 25, 2014, 12:44:11 pm by Wellred »
The best players in the world miss penalties, some even fail to get them on target, and are paid 100's of thousands of pounds per week and they get no where near the grief that Theo is getting from the typical d**khead Rovers fans, give the lad a break FFS!

I think the penalty miss was the tip of the iceberg. The bloke can trap a ball further than I can kick it. Or put another way his second touch is a tackle. (Or would be if he could tackle!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on September 25, 2014, 12:52:02 pm by IDM »
I have to say, on balance, that Theo's performance on Tuesday was better in many respects than other recent games, in terms of effort and workrate etc.  Penalties can be a lottery, and if the keeper goes the wrong way then its an easy goal and a cool finish.  granted he could have given it a better chance of scoring with more power and placement, but he did win the penalty with a goal bound header getting on the end of a decent cross. 

I'm the first to admit Theo is not in the best of form at the moment, but definitely saw improvement this week.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on September 25, 2014, 01:02:19 pm by bpoolrover »
To be fair thou he does not deserve abuse as it's not his fault he gets picked and he does put the effort in IMO only a player who clearly does not care and does not try

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on September 25, 2014, 02:03:18 pm by Copps is Magic »
Theo Robinson deserves criticism. He's probably getting it from himself and from the manager. To suggest such criticism is coming from the 'usual d**kheads' is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum.

I find it surprising that some posters are getting sentimental about players who don't necessarily have the same sentiments of the club. There is certainly a line between criticism and abuse and I honestly have not seen it broken on this forum so why people are getting edgy about it I dont know.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on September 25, 2014, 02:17:28 pm by RJHeader »
To be fair thou he does not deserve abuse as it's not his fault he gets picked and he does put the effort in IMO only a player who clearly does not care and does not try

I dont understand this 'he puts effort in'. I lost all faith in him after his performance at Bristol City. It was absolutely shocking. He didn't want to be there one little bit

TinyPortal © 2005-2012