Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 06:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Priceless moments  (Read 4616 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Priceless moments
« on October 15, 2014, 09:35:49 pm by glosterred »
From another thread - watching Kasper chuck the ball in his own net was priceless to me - what are your priceless moments watching the Rovers. Anything other than Hayters goal, Sir Franny's at Stoke etc

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Priceless moments
« Reply #1 on October 15, 2014, 09:56:22 pm by 1879Rovers »
Beating Bournemouth to win promotion in our final home game of the season in 1980/81. It was the first promotion I witnessed following Rovers and seeing Belle Vue rocking and the celebrations at the end were never to be forgotten.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 15, 2014, 10:18:22 pm by DRFCSouth »
The relegation season. Chesters keeper throwing the ball out to his defender, it hits him on the back and Rovers capitalise to make it 2-1 and our first home win that season if my memory serves me right. Crowd less than 1k if I remember right.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 15, 2014, 10:18:56 pm by karldew »
Cambridge away, a tuesday night I think it was, 02/03 season? 3-0 down (Dave K**son Scoring 2 of them) and brought it back to 3-3, the last goal being a screamer by Tim Ryan!. Paul Barnes missed a penalty at the end to win it though and I believe it was his last game for Rovers?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 15, 2014, 10:23:05 pm by RoversAlias »
When we went all the way down to Portsmouth and came out with a 3-2 win, David Healy somehow finding the net late on to secure the win. Goals and results like that are priceless to me, they make spending all this money and travelling the length and breadth of the country to watch the Rovers worth it. More than in fact.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 15, 2014, 10:33:28 pm by phil o sophical »
watching video footage of the Bournemouth fans chanting "give us our trophy now" on the pitch at Tranmere, then hearing a little voice saying"bloody hell, Donny have scored"  Bleep, video stops !!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Priceless
« Reply #6 on October 15, 2014, 10:37:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Busy chip shop outside Luton's ground. Mate asked for chips n beans in a tray. Nice lady served the chips in said tray. "Would you like your beans on top?" "I'd like to see you get em underneath!" retorted my mate. Shop full of both sets of fans howling with laughter. Priceless.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 16, 2014, 09:25:20 am by IDM »
Far too many!

I would include the 80/81 promotion game vs Bournemouth, David Harle winning the cup game with QPR, Stock's winner at Leeds, Colin hitting the inside of the post vs Reading for what would have been the 8th goal when we won 7 - 5.  Jones' winner at Stevenage, the list goes on...

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 16, 2014, 11:20:59 am by RoversDave »
Bit blurred but

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 16, 2014, 12:19:26 pm by roversdude »
Hartlepool fan attacking Deano with a pie
Brabs and his Sumo impression
The infamous announcement at Scarborough that they were running a mini bus to a game

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 16, 2014, 12:54:46 pm by RobTheRover »
Bit blurred but

Derby away?  First game back in the 2nd Tier, Dave?

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 16, 2014, 01:10:34 pm by philsky »

Back in the conference days - away at Kettering we'd had stacks of abuse all match from their fans only for us to get a last minute winner - oh the joy !

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 16, 2014, 01:16:55 pm by Copps is Magic »
Kidderminster at Belle Vue - snow pelting down - 5 nil to rovers - all 4 sides of the ground singing rovers till I die.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 16, 2014, 01:23:08 pm by vaya »
watching video footage of the Bournemouth fans chanting "give us our trophy now" on the pitch at Tranmere, then hearing a little voice saying"bloody hell, Donny have scored"  Bleep, video stops !!

...only matched by watching Eddie 'size three features on a size five face' Howe's bottom lip tremble as he's giving the post-game interview.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 16, 2014, 02:09:48 pm by RoversDave »
Bit blurred but

Yes, first kick in 50 years .....

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 16, 2014, 02:59:47 pm by Drover »
Bit blurred but

Yes, first kick in 50 years .....
Oh right,I thought it was Lewis Guy and Richie doing the Birdie song!  ;)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 16, 2014, 05:49:20 pm by PDX_Rover »
Too many to mention...

The Mansfield Moment. The Wigan mudslide.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 16, 2014, 08:15:59 pm by RobTheRover »
Mike Jeffery and The Wing Commander terrorising Derby and Newcastle pre-season.

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 16, 2014, 08:19:32 pm by Derby Viking »
Coming from 2-0 down away at Scunny after going down to 10 men

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 16, 2014, 11:47:24 pm by afro goal machine »
Fortune-wests hatrick

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 17, 2014, 12:12:21 am by BobG »
Beating Luton 2-0 at home when they were top of the 3rd Div and we were 2nd I think. As Malcolm MacDonald was scoring in his sleep for them, that was a bloody good result, and performance. But the best, the best there's ever been (well, since the Man City 4-4 or whatever it was) is still Bradford City away, Boxing Day early 80's. You know the match. I go on about it quite a lot. They were top of Div 3. We were 3rd or 4th. They had McCall. We had Snod. They had the ref. We had the balls. Down to 8 men and we chuffing won. And Snods was taking the piss out of 'em. Best day ever that.

Somebody else must have been there that day surely? I've never heard any other bugger on here say so though. I know IanH was there - but where is he now? Come on chaps. Tell this board just how good that game was!

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 17, 2014, 12:12:43 am by RobTheRover »
McIndoes flick, spin and volley v Bristol Rovers at OBV 2003/4

Thornton putting the cherry on the top of the demolition of Aston Villa

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 17, 2014, 12:21:00 am by LincsRover »
Billy Sharps goal vs Middlesborough 2 days after his son, Luey had passed away - the goal, the celebration, the t-shirt! Still choke up when I think about it and I've got tiddysdad's picture on my office wall, so think about it most days!

:scarf:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:29:38 am by LincsRover »

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 17, 2014, 12:22:35 am by Canadian Rover »
#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:25:22 am by Canadian Rover »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 17, 2014, 02:06:38 am by Copps is Magic »
Another weather related one. Blundell scoring in front of 4.5k travelling faithful in a demolition job over Barnsley in the thick fog. Still to this day think it is a miracle that games wasn't abandoned.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 17, 2014, 03:16:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

Up the Arse corner on steroids.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 17, 2014, 03:44:28 am by RedRover45 »
Beating Luton 2-0 at home when they were top of the 3rd Div and we were 2nd I think. As Malcolm MacDonald was scoring in his sleep for them, that was a bloody good result, and performance. But the best, the best there's ever been (well, since the Man City 4-4 or whatever it was) is still Bradford City away, Boxing Day early 80's. You know the match. I go on about it quite a lot. They were top of Div 3. We were 3rd or 4th. They had McCall. We had Snod. They had the ref. We had the balls. Down to 8 men and we chuffing won. And Snods was taking the piss out of 'em. Best day ever that.

Somebody else must have been there that day surely? I've never heard any other bugger on here say so though. I know IanH was there - but where is he now? Come on chaps. Tell this board just how good that game was!

BobG

I was there Bob stood on that massive terrace. It was an awesome performance against the odds and by far Peacocks best ever performance IMHO.
The Man City game was 4-3 by the way if you mean the one in the fifties 😉

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 17, 2014, 02:15:11 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I was going to put up the Valley Parade 8 man win as well Bob.

As I have put on here before I actually missed what should have been a top priceless moment:

Albert 'Yogi' Broadbent could be both brilliant and frustrating. I can still picture the match in 1964 - Rovers were a mere 9-0 up against Darlington at Belle Vue, just a couple of minutes left, and I was gradually making my way along the not particularly full Popside towards the Rossington end for a prompt exit at the final whistle. Albert Broadbent was strolling down the left wing with no real sense of urgency, showboating in front of the main stand, meandering towards the Rossington end...... no danger I reckoned so I sprinted up to the top of the Popside to get around the back of the wall and into the Rossington end and could you believe it, in those 5 seconds Yogi Broadbent had somehow managed to score our record breaking 10th and I missed it. I never forgave him.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 17, 2014, 03:04:00 pm by elmsallrover »
Tuff one so many memories but al go for mark rankins
last minute goal vs spurs in the f.a. youth cup semi finals down at white hart lane made it 1all on the night but rovers won 3-2 on agg

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 17, 2014, 05:19:00 pm by Superspy »
One of the best own-goals I've seen, by QPR at the Keepmoat a few seasons back.

Stepping out into the tier at St James' Park to support Donny (I was a Newcastle/Shearer fan as a kid)....shame about the Woods penalty .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012