Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 05:13:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: investment  (Read 17573 times)

acko

• Forum Member
investment
« on November 22, 2014, 07:47:37 am by acko »
watched the brentford game last night, great,played at high tempo crowd buzzing could onlly think if only.full credit to them and bournemouth for having the guts to invest once promoted both teams doing well,the return on there outlay now assured while we sit pondering what money can we save not worrying about results and performance

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: investment
« Reply #1 on November 22, 2014, 07:55:03 am by bobjimwilly »
Easy to spend other peoples millions isn't it. Got to be honest acko, never thought I'd see a thread like this by you...

:whistle:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 22, 2014, 08:07:40 am by Wellred »
Have you not realised yet Acko there are people on here who are more concerned with sustainability than progressing up the league and taking a few risks.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 22, 2014, 08:13:26 am by acko »
fact is fact if we had a crop of young talent coming thro i could live with that but we aint,and any chance of us getting any is remote,with clubs like leeds,owls and blades prepared to pay their young more money than we will pay,and like everybody else money is high on the agenda.we have successful owners in buisness but i ask you did they get there without taking a risk or two on the way in the form of investment so why is a football club different,as i said brentford and bournemouth will be assured of a good return on their outlay.you will only get sustainability with the paying customer and in football that is either playing at a higher level or having success on the field,people are not interested in saying are well lost again but the club is sustainable.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 22, 2014, 08:16:34 am by no eyed deer »
Yes only one way we are going, and that's down the leagues. The good times are over for now unless we get some new investment . Before someone says, I have no money to spare .....

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 22, 2014, 08:25:38 am by jonnydog »
I've just won £25 on the Rovers Lottery though :thumbsup:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 22, 2014, 08:25:57 am by wilts rover »
Last season Brighton were being held up as the model for 'investment'. Good luck to Brentford and Bournmouth but I hope for their fans sake that they are not playing Stockport in a few seasons time.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 22, 2014, 08:43:53 am by acko »
if they are will probably be in same league as us

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 22, 2014, 09:04:03 am by IDM »
fact is fact if we had a crop of young talent coming thro i could live with that but we aint,and any chance of us getting any is remote,with clubs like leeds,owls and blades prepared to pay their young more money than we will pay,and like everybody else money is high on the agenda.we have successful owners in buisness but i ask you did they get there without taking a risk or two on the way in the form of investment so why is a football club different,as i said brentford and bournemouth will be assured of a good return on their outlay.you will only get sustainability with the paying customer and in football that is either playing at a higher level or having success on the field,people are not interested in saying are well lost again but the club is sustainable.

Wakefield, Peterson, Lund, Middleton, Whitehouse, MacKay x2, Mandeville.  I am not saying all 7 will become big stars at Rovers or get sold on where we can reinvest the money, maybe only one or two will, or even none.

Marosi is ours and a youngster too...

But give the lads a chance eh before you write them off?

Wasn't it said at the start of the season that youth development was part of the long term plan?  Folks were expecting overnight success but this development takes time.

Bournemouth and Brentford?  But for a run of results that didn't reflect performances in 2008/9 and injuries the following season, we could have been competing for the play offs.  Very fine lines.

Fine lines - one less point for Birmingham or one more for us and we're in the championship retaining the likes of Brown and Cotterill and with a bigger budget than now.  Fine lines indeed - Sharp missing a diving header to win at Forest, stonewall penalties not given ie at QPR on Wellens etc etc.  Yes I agree we should make our own luck and not be in that position.

Brentford and Bournemouth returns assured??  OK so they are in great form now - what if their form drops off with suspensions, injuries, or any reason?  For every club you can put up that seems to be getting rewards for investment there are others that have failed.

Cash doesn't guarantee success.  I haven't even mentioned FFP yet - has the situation with QPR been resolved and what will happen if/when they get relegated next time?

Do we really need another thread criticising our perceived lack of investment??? :facepalm:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 22, 2014, 09:07:39 am by Chris Black come back »
Bournemouth totally unsustainable. Brentford don't know but imagine they are gambling on their new stadium complex to help them along.

We have crowds of circa 6.5k. We have the spending power that is commensurate with those crowds. Last season we were playing in a higher league and attracted precious few additional home supporters. There is our problem. The commercial folks at the club are trying to wring a few extra quid out of the golden egg laid for us by Martin Winter in an entirely free state of the art stadium but there is a limit to what they can achieve without more arses on seats.

No good folk saying put in some investment and people will start returning. As I said above, look at our experience last season off back of amazing League One title win. Donny folk still not interested.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 22, 2014, 09:18:23 am by hoolahoop »
if they are will probably be in same league as us

Good response , I also lament the lost opportunity by our benefactors both to them and us .
Investment in football brings its own rewards and it shouldn't always be considered money down the drain. Surely the Owners should see this , the whole operation will struggle the more the team struggles.
With respect bjw we have seen little if any major financial investment anywhere around the club for quite some time.
Quite right it's not our money to spend but the whole thing is going stale despite the promises to give something back to the folk of Doncaster. The amount invested so far is only loose change to these multi multi millionaires.
Their investment so far can't be seriously descibed as "Whelanesque" in nature can it.
Businesses that don't invest slowly wither and die . Ask the folk down at RBS who failed to invest or any other large business.
Sustainability is not a model to follow believe me. Ask any failed decent business the reason why it failed and they will have lack of investment at the top of their list regardless of the quality of their product. Next would probably come 'self confessed' ineptitude in selling their product   ( Media, Marketing, Merchandising) .......incidentally an area we have failed in for some 10-12 years down to yes you've guessed it a lack of meaningful investment.
As for staffing and the ability to retain the best or at least  use their skills meaningfully that would probably be the third reason mentioned.,.....again another area where we would fail too.
No wonder our customers are leaving us in droves. :((
Sustainability.....Inability more like .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 22, 2014, 09:23:31 am by Chris Black come back »
To the best of my knowledge the owners continue to 'invest' million/s each year to cover out basic losses operate at our current level.

These are the facts. Even the level we are operating at now is not especially sustainable without the loss each year being subsidised by external parties. We don't make enough money.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 22, 2014, 09:27:32 am by acko »
can i ask idm how many of the crop o lads you mentioned are on decent contracts to ensure they stay all the talk at the start of season was about middleton what contract did we give him 6 months i beleave.there was a young lad from bentley made his debut for leeds against rovers last season where was our scouting team letting local lad thro their fingers,another point i would like to mention touched on a few weeks ago the atmosphere at griffin park was terrific like belle vue new stadiums dont give you that

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 22, 2014, 09:30:39 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Hoola

Analogies with other businesses totally miss the mark. Investment, in a normal business, is something that is done to improve skills, number of personnel, facilities and equipment, with the intention of winning more, or more profitable work. This increases profits.

"Investment" in football means pouring money into the costs of new players, in order to temporarily satisfy the insatiable demand of football fans to see their team win every week. It is rarely done with a plan to establish a long-term position where the club can function at a higher level without a continued pouring in of money, because, unlike general business, "investment" in football rarely produces an increase in profits that matches the level of "investment" required.

It's a mis-use of a word, usually used by people who think that their club owners have a duty to put as much money into the club as is necessary to appease the fans' demands.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 22, 2014, 09:40:13 am by Filo »
When Brentford and Bournmouth, match our 5 year stint in the Championship you could then have an argument that their investment has paid off

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 22, 2014, 09:49:03 am by acko »
sorry filo cant see bournemouth sustaining 5 year in championship way their going could have stint in premiership

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 22, 2014, 10:10:16 am by coventryrover »

Wakefield, Peterson, Lund, Middleton, Whitehouse, MacKay x2, Mandeville.  I am not saying all 7 will become big stars at Rovers or get sold on where we can reinvest the money, maybe only one or two will, or even none.

Marosi is ours and a youngster too...

But give the lads a chance eh before you write them off?

Wasn't it said at the start of the season that youth development was part of the long term plan?  Folks were expecting overnight success but this development takes time.

Bournemouth and Brentford?  But for a run of results that didn't reflect performances in 2008/9 and injuries the following season, we could have been competing for the play offs.  Very fine lines.

Fine lines - one less point for Birmingham or one more for us and we're in the championship retaining the likes of Brown and Cotterill and with a bigger budget than now.  Fine lines indeed - Sharp missing a diving header to win at Forest, stonewall penalties not given ie at QPR on Wellens etc etc.  Yes I agree we should make our own luck and not be in that position.

Brentford and Bournemouth returns assured??  OK so they are in great form now - what if their form drops off with suspensions, injuries, or any reason?  For every club you can put up that seems to be getting rewards for investment there are others that have failed.

Cash doesn't guarantee success.  I haven't even mentioned FFP yet - has the situation with QPR been resolved and what will happen if/when they get relegated next time?

Do we really need another thread criticising our perceived lack of investment??? :facepalm:

I think our board invest enough,especially as doncastrians can't be parsed to support their sports teams

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 22, 2014, 10:31:34 am by silent majority »
i would suggest that most people who are talking about investment on here are really talking about short term gambling.

Investment, certainly for the long term, should be put into the club infrastructure and concentrate on the youth and academy setup.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 22, 2014, 10:36:14 am by Bentley Bullet »
Ah, you mean like Crewe Alexandra?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 22, 2014, 10:38:18 am by Boomstick »
i would suggest that most people who are talking about investment on here are really talking about short term gambling.

Investment, certainly for the long term, should be put into the club infrastructure and concentrate on the youth and academy setup.
I would say this current 'sustainability ' model is a huge gamble. We could get relegated because of it

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 22, 2014, 11:23:46 am by DonnyOsmond »

I would say this current 'sustainability ' model is a huge gamble. We could get relegated because of it

Short term we've got a one of the leagues largest wage budgets and best squads on paper. Long term were looking at bringing players through the youth team and development squad to push us forward long term. Where's the issue?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 22, 2014, 11:32:13 am by Wellred »

Short term we've got a one of the leagues largest wage budgets and best squads on paper. Long term were looking at bringing players through the youth team and development squad to push us forward long term. Where's the issue?

Short term we could be heading into league 2 Biggest wage budget? Possibly but we only know what we are fed.
Best squad? Arguable.

Long term. We could have some good young players coming through as a league 2 or Conference side with the bigger clubs picking them off for peanuts.

Hmmmm

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 22, 2014, 11:33:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Go on then Wellred. Off we go again. What would your alternative strategy be?

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 22, 2014, 11:35:12 am by DRFCSouth »
The issues are probably on a few levels:

1. This policy will be viewed by some as a way of lowering expectations, and thus, accepting poor performances and league positions in the belief that one day the youth policy will pay off.

2. The likelihood of getting these young lads up to speed with first team football. Most are very unlikely to get a game.

3. A lack of trust that the right level of investment and infrastructure is going to be put in place for the youth setup.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 22, 2014, 11:36:23 am by Wellred »
Whats the point BST. I have my opinion you have yours. They are diametrically opposed. We would only go round and round in circles getting nowhere.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 22, 2014, 11:42:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Wellred. Fair dos. I've just never heard you say what you think we SHOULD be doing.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 22, 2014, 11:47:01 am by acko »
you can go round this forever we are just a few with opinions,but a dare bet if a poll was taken from the supporters they would back investment against all this crap we are being fed about big budget and club doncaster.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 22, 2014, 11:51:54 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Acko

If you mean, "if a poll was taken from the supporters they would back the board pouring millions of quid per year into the club for the next 20 years" then I dare say you're right.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Investment.
« Reply #28 on November 22, 2014, 11:53:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Depends how you ask the question acko. So unfair isn't it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 22, 2014, 11:55:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
Question. If TB/DW had a rethink about Rovers future strategy and decided to invest into the club the same amounts as say Brentford and Bournemouth (to use as comparisons due to their similar size), would you support the idea?

Same question again but should TB/DW sell the club to a buyer who's willing to invest as above?

If the answer is yes to both, how on gods earth can you say that the current policy of sustainability is the correct one?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012