Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:37:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: "Top six has never been the aim for us"  (Read 3258 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
"Top six has never been the aim for us"
« on December 18, 2014, 03:04:46 pm by Dare to dream! »
From Dickov. What's the aim then? Mid table? I feel like he has said that just to try and cover his own back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
Re: "Top six has never been the aim for us"
« Reply #1 on December 18, 2014, 03:08:19 pm by Boomstick »
So the board and manager are saying 2 things.
Someone's lying

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 18, 2014, 03:08:59 pm by Wellred »
Surely the aim of every manager in this division is top 6?
The reality maybe somewhat different but if you don't aim for the top then you sure as hell will fail!!

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 18, 2014, 03:10:51 pm by RJHeader »
Players were aiming for top 6 aswell. Cant see Wellens/Copps/Main etc being happy to sign knowing our aim was mid table.

Covering his own arse here by the sounds of it. Saw him mention not long back, 'give me till the new year before you question us' or something along those lines. Begging to stay in a job.

Has to go for me.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 18, 2014, 03:23:12 pm by GazLaz »
Wellens told us what our level was at the start of the season. People refused to listen to him. He knew.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 18, 2014, 03:41:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
Wellens told us what our level was at the start of the season. People refused to listen to him. He knew.

Wellens whined and moaned to try and get himself a <better> contract.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 18, 2014, 03:48:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Well I never! The selfish b*st*rd! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:23:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 18, 2014, 03:50:44 pm by Lipsy »
Are people playing silly buggers again? Board said, right at the end of last season, that bouncing back up into the Championship was the aim. Then that happened and then Dickov said before the start of this season that it was going to be a tough season or so, implying it could take two or three seasons to get back up (that's my impression of what he said - I don't have the time to dig out the audio clip, but it's out there in the interwebs).

So, PD made it clear that this season would be (really) tough, but it would get better and better in the following seasons. Simples.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 18, 2014, 03:55:13 pm by Copps is Magic »

Well I never! The selfish b*st*rd!  :facepalm:

Correct. It was a selfish thing to do. (and I don't blame him for that at all - short career and all that)

The amazing thing is after he "knew" we would be just above the relegation places come christmas he still signed the contract! The man is clearly a have-a-go hero.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:03:26 pm by Copps is Magic »

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 18, 2014, 03:56:09 pm by Katesby »
This man is an absolute disgrace. Paul, please do the right thing and resign before it's too late.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 18, 2014, 03:56:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So where's all the talk of having as good a team on paper as any league one club come from?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 18, 2014, 03:58:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Well I never! The selfish b*st*rd!  :facepalm:

Correct. It was a selfish thing to do.

The amazing thing is after he "knew" we would be just above the relegation places come christmas he still signed the contract! The man is clearly a have-a-go hero.

Which just goes to show that what he said publicly was right - We weren't good enough!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 18, 2014, 03:59:20 pm by eastender »

Saw him mention not long back, 'give me till the new year before you question us' or something along those lines. Begging to stay in a job.

Your right RJH.

PD 30th OCT

"As much as some of the performances have been disappointing, we knew there would be inconsistencies there. You probably wouldn't see the best of us until after Christmas."

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/11571031.Doncaster_boss_Dickov_not_feeling_the_pressure/

Lose to Swindon , Coventry and Bristol and i hope he's not around to see it.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 18, 2014, 04:02:09 pm by Copps is Magic »
So, now the see-all know-all (it wasnt about my own contract, honest) Richie Wellens has come out and said "we should be higher", "we are underachieving", "chance to get up there". I don't know who to believe, Richie Wellens at the start of the season or Richie Wellens now.

https://audioboom.com/boos/2742764-interview-doncaster-midfielder-richie-wellens-on-rovers-underachievement-so-far-this-season

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 18, 2014, 04:09:32 pm by ian1980 »
"Probably won't see best of us till after Christmas'

Which one is he talking about because this one is only a week away and on recent showings we've been dire. Certainly nothing to suggest we will have a big improvement after the festive period.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 18, 2014, 04:10:18 pm by acko »
its not our devine right to be in the top six,consider the players we lost close season,and i include jones in that we thought he would be fit unfortunatley never worked out,butler,johnstone and stevens only joined late in the day i am sure if our home form had been anywhere near what it should be we would be top six.over the last few years m.k dons and sheff unt supporters have beleaved promotion was a formality and this season bristol city,preston and swindon were the bookies favorites,and iam sure the dingles thought it would be easy.maybe league one is not the soft touch we thought

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 18, 2014, 04:11:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Our team's prospects prior to Copps and Wellens re-signing at the start of the season were abysmal. It was then that Wellens said  we weren't good enough,and rightly so.

Since then, other than Copps and Wellens himself signing, we have strengthened the team to a more adequate standard, and Wellens is right again in his re-assessment of saying we are underachieving.

His opinion has changed along with the circumstances.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 18, 2014, 04:13:26 pm by Lipsy »
 :that:

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 18, 2014, 04:15:41 pm by Copps is Magic »
Our team's prospects prior to Copps and Wellens re-signing at the start of the season were abysmal. It was then that Wellens said  we weren't good enough,and rightly so.

Since then, other than Copps and Wellens himself signing, we have strengthened the team to a more adequate standard, and Wellens is right again in his re-assessment of saying we are underachieving.

His opinion has changed with along with the circumstances.

Completely right. What Wellens "knew" at the start of the season is now largely irrelevant and we are underachieving.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 18, 2014, 04:18:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Completely right. What Wellens "knew" at the start of the season is now largely irrelevant and we are underachieving.

So who do you believe, Wellens at the start of the season, or Wellens now?!!!!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 18, 2014, 04:24:19 pm by Copps is Magic »

So who do you believe, Wellens at the start of the season, or Wellens now?!!!!

I believe Wellens now. We are absolutely tripe at the moment but only 7 points off the play-offs with a game in hand. He alludes to the turn-around under SOD. The question now is whether we can achieve something similar with the current manager or not.

I don't buy the fact that this should be a consolidation season or that we've found our level or that we weren't aiming for the top 6.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:26:39 pm by Copps is Magic »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 18, 2014, 04:26:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So you believe Wellens now, but you didn't believe him at the start of the season when he said we weren't good enough?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 18, 2014, 04:36:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
So you believe Wellens now, but you didn't believe him at the start of the season when he said we weren't good enough?

Yep.

As I say, incredible really that he found it in his heart to sign for a team he didn't think was good enough!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 18, 2014, 04:41:37 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Not really. I find it in my heart to support a team that's not good enough, and I pay out of my own pocket for that!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:44:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 18, 2014, 04:41:47 pm by bpoolrover »
He prob had no option as doubt anyone else wanted him,if we finish half way,with the team we have is about right

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 18, 2014, 04:47:38 pm by Copps is Magic »
Just had time to listen to Dickov's full interview of RS. The full quote he gave is this;

Question: Do you feel that you are underachieving this season?

PD "At home, yeah, I would do. Because one home win all season isn't great reading. We're hopefully working hard to turn the corner round, we felt at the games we've had at home recently we should have done it. So, we're not far away but at the same time I'm not going to try and kid anyone else by saying that we're nearly there this that or the other. It's not good enough and we have to change it."

Question: What about overall though?

PD "if we look at the table and win our game in hand then we go 4 points off the play-offs. If we win on saturday we can go into the new year pushing into the top half if not in the top half if results go our way. And I would say that is roughly ... maybe ... where we should, yeah."

Question: I guess the aim is top 6 isn't it?

PD " You guys have been saying top 6 since the start of pre-seaon. That has never been an aim for us. It would be fantastic if we could make it .... if we can keep players fit and clear of suspension then we won't be far away."

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 18, 2014, 05:31:54 pm by ravenrover »
Nobody has mentioned the more worrying part of the interview "I'm already planning for next season"!!!
I only hope that means with another club!

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 18, 2014, 05:39:46 pm by ian1980 »
We're not even half way through this one yet. Perhaps he should focus a bit more on this one and trying to get us up the table.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 18, 2014, 06:58:26 pm by Donnyrovers »
Which team when relegated to the league below doesn't aim for top six? Absolute joke get this f**king idiot out club.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 18, 2014, 07:09:07 pm by wilts rover »
Which team when relegated to the league below doesn't aim for top six? Absolute joke get this f***ing idiot out club.

Remind me again what our aim was when we were relegated under Saunders in 2011 and lost most of our best players?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012