Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:44:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy sharp  (Read 9948 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Billy sharp
« Reply #30 on December 31, 2014, 06:00:04 pm by Lesonthewest »
Now if the thread had started Chris Brown I would have HIM back like a shot, he is the one we really miss.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 31, 2014, 06:28:16 pm by CJK »
Purely defending Sharp bases on the 25 mins I saw last night and to be fair Costa would do well to score goals in a Leeds shirt at the moment. Redfern chucked him on and expected to see a difference......not without any service from an absolutely toss midfield. Christ they've fallen again and if Millwall and Blackpool weren't in that league I'd have them as favourites for the drop.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 31, 2014, 07:20:50 pm by bpoolrover »
Billy was everyone's favourite but last season he was woeful,so unless something has changed I would much prefer a younger forward with something to prove

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 31, 2014, 07:52:41 pm by southwestexile »
When you look at what we paid for Sharp and compare to how much Grimes has just left Exeter for Swansea, we were royally ripped off.

We need to look long term and get some promising lower league yoof

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 31, 2014, 08:08:24 pm by BobG »
I think Billy's sale price was a condition of his contract with us. Or, to be more exact, there was a figure quoted which forced the Rovers to let BS talk with any club that met that price. It was rumour at the time that Billy revealed that figure to Saints as he wanted away. It does make some sense as Saints had previously made a bid that was quite a lot higher and which had been refused in the end. So something must have happened for them to come back later with a lower one.

BobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 31, 2014, 09:42:23 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I think Billy's sale price was a condition of his contract with us. Or, to be more exact, there was a figure quoted which forced the Rovers to let BS talk with any club that met that price. It was rumour at the time that Billy revealed that figure to Saints as he wanted away. It does make some sense as Saints had previously made a bid that was quite a lot higher and which had been refused in the end. So something must have happened for them to come back later with a lower one.

BobG

I think that is basically right Bob by what was said at the time

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 31, 2014, 09:59:10 pm by Askern_reds »
Why oh why would you want sharp back ? Short memos or what ? Can you remember his celebrations when he scored against us at Southampton ? You'd av thought he scored the winer at wembly in a fa cup final , and I bet scum drop him like a hot spud at end of season because he's lost it .weve got to move on

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 31, 2014, 10:05:52 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Why oh why would you want sharp back ? Short memos or what ? Can you remember his celebrations when he scored against us at Southampton ? You'd av thought he scored the winer at wembly in a fa cup final , and I bet scum drop him like a hot spud at end of season because he's lost it .weve got to move on

Don't always agree with you Askern but on that one I do

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 31, 2014, 10:07:11 pm by BobG »
Short memos - brilliant Askern! Just brilliant. That's brought a huge smile to my chops for the end of this horrible, horrible year. Cheers!

BobG

neil grainger

« Reply #39 on December 31, 2014, 11:06:19 pm by neil grainger »
I think it'll be Blackpool, Rotherham & Leeds for the drop.

Well, a man can dream can't he?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 01, 2015, 12:58:55 am by Bentley Bullet »

Don't always agree with you Askern but on that one I do

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Sharp sympathising with the Donny fan's protests over the 'Experiment' signings, some of whom were playing that day for Rovers?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 01, 2015, 01:33:56 am by DRNaith »
I think that if we brought Sharp back it would only work if Dickov sat down with him and said "how do you want to receive the ball, what best works with you? " and that's a big thing to do.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 01, 2015, 08:09:14 am by aidanstu »
I think the problem with BS last time round was the system. He largely was playing in a system which required him to have pace: something he has not got. He looked frustrated and at times disinterested but I think generally it was down to the system but in part his desire to.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 01, 2015, 09:01:05 am by acko »
at a supporters club meeting start of season,m.baldwin stated that the signing of billy sharp wasnot just intended for the goals he could bring but they thought it would put bums on seats,unfortunatley it didnt work on both counts. so i dont think the board would go down that road again

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 01, 2015, 09:26:36 am by Bentley Bullet »
No one would have scored many goals for us during that period. Mecheda was just as unconvincing when he was with us, but was prolific for Birmingham, a team lower than us, and in fact probably kept them up in place of us.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 01, 2015, 09:29:53 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Still a legend and Paul would get the best out of him but wages are through the roof ! But money not everything and Sharpy knows that more than anything !

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 01, 2015, 11:30:30 am by timdrfc »
Billy Sharp was terrible for us last season, turning circle of tug, slow lack of interest, sending off just when we needed our top players etc move on other clubs do all the time. We seem to think because they have been good for us once that they are the only ones we can be successful for us. 

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 01, 2015, 11:34:41 am by mushRTID »
Sorry to say I also think he's gone now. Might get one more championship move after Leeds because of his 'name' but he's not the player he was.

I think we just happened to see the best of him.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 01, 2015, 11:54:50 am by dumbroofer »
BST
Agree with the lack of goals, 1 in 3 ain't good enough.
But the service he got was shocking to the point of , what's the point in making runs that are either ,a not seen or b, ignored.
Don't you think he would get a bag full in this team in this division?

Out of interest what are you comparing with or targeting when you say 1 in 3 isn't good enough? We haven't had many 15-goal-a-season strikers on the books in recent years.
Superspy
That was a tongue in cheek comment, for me billy sharp is up there, neigh he's above any striker I have seen play for us.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 01, 2015, 12:52:06 pm by Superspy »
BST
But the service he got was shocking to the point of , what's the point in making runs that are either ,a not seen or b, ignored.

Out of interest what are you comparing with or targeting when you say 1 in 3 isn't good enough? We haven't had many 15-goal-a-season strikers on the books in recent years.
Superspy
That was a tongue in cheek comment, for me billy sharp is up there, neigh he's above any striker I have seen play for us.

Sorry mate, clearly my sarcasm detector was turned off  :lol:

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 01, 2015, 12:59:32 pm by DRFCSouth »
If we had any chance of getting either and we didn't really fancy pushing on then Brown would be ideal. His scoring record ain't great. 1 in every 5 or 6 throughout his career. I get that he brings something different but as a comparison with Sharp, no chance. Not sure whether Billy is a bit disillusioned. He's become a bit of a nomad over time. Soton signed him and he was hardly used. That being said, maybe we need to move on and look at someone else.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 01, 2015, 01:27:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST

Superspy

It's all in the colour tone!!  ;)

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 01, 2015, 01:55:03 pm by Superspy »
BST

Superspy

It's all in the colour tone!!  ;)

I'm colour-blind.  :(

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 01, 2015, 04:13:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »
No one would have scored many goals for us during that period. Mecheda was just as unconvincing when he was with us, but was prolific for Birmingham, a team lower than us, and in fact probably kept them up in place of us.

Exactly. Daft saying Sharp is now terrible because he didn't do too well for us last season, in a season where no striker did well for us. We ended up second lowest scorers in the league. It was Dickov...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 01, 2015, 06:26:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

From Jan-May last year, we scored 23 goals. Billy Sharp scored 4 of them (and 2 of those are debatable...)

Your argument is that no-one would have scored in that side, so we can forgive Sharp flouncing round like a moody teenager. The other 19 goals must have been flukes I guess.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 01, 2015, 06:57:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wowee! 23 goals!!.........in 24 games!!! Not very good is it BST!!!!

Strangely enough though, From August to December prior to that, Guess what?.......We played 24 games, and scored 19 goals!!!! 4 goals less!!!!! Those 4 goals Billy scored made a bit of a difference at least in improving the tally last year didn't they.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 01, 2015, 07:08:03 pm by andyst79 »
 Sharp will always score goals he has that nack which he'll never lose.Strikers dip in & out of form at this level especially, However the past is the past & time to move on we need to be looking to youth & investing in players we can develop.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 01, 2015, 07:17:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Like talking to a brick wall.

Time for a New Year Resolution. Ignore folk who make up their minds regardless of facts. It's pointless discussing with them.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 01, 2015, 07:19:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Sharp will always score goals he has that nack which he'll never lose.Strikers dip in & out of form at this level especially, However the past is the past & time to move on we need to be looking to youth & investing in players we can develop.

I agree, it is time to move on. I just think that Billy was a modern day legend for us and deserves much more credit than being talked of as if he was shit.

Some posters on here I give special dispensation to because they know no better. Others who do know better should lead by example.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 01, 2015, 07:25:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

Sharp WAS excellent for us from 2009-11. I have no grouse about that whatsoever. He was the best goalscorer I've ever seen play for us. None if that means he is immune from criticism for the displays he put in at the business end of last season. He's not a god. He's a professional footballer. And he simply didn't cut it when it really mattered last season. He let us down.

What annoys me is the logic. Theo Robinson scored about 1 every 4 starts last season. That is considered to be a poor return because he's shit. Billy Sharp scored 1 every 4 starts for us last season. That's considered to be a poor return because we didn't set the side up to serve Billy Sharp.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012