Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:14:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Piss Poor Rovers Related Claims to Fame  (Read 23956 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Piss Poor Rovers Related Claims to Fame
« on January 02, 2015, 10:34:03 pm by belton rover »
Let's have 'em. Mine are:
As a kid I lived next door to Glyn Snodin's Mrs.
Dennis Peacock once gave me 50p for being 'a good lad'.
I saw Sean Flanagan in a shop in Rosso after a trip to the baths (10 ft deep end) as I spent my 2p bus fare on sweets, then walked home to Cantley.
Rented some stables from James Hayter.
Think I saw Duggie in Park Lane once, but incredibly, I was more pissed than him.

Beat that lot for piss poor Rovers associations!

And a Happy New Year to you all x

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Piss Poor Rovers Related Claims to Fame
« Reply #1 on January 02, 2015, 10:52:33 pm by MachoMadness »
I once bumped into Leo Fortune-West in the National Railway Museum. Figuratively speaking, of course.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 02, 2015, 11:07:23 pm by the vicar »
i know its not Rovers but i was in the company of Jeff Hurst and and Trevor Brooking in Bethnal green in 1979

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 02, 2015, 11:12:42 pm by Capmeister »
Pre-season training with young Snods, Flannigan, Daryl Pugh et al summer 77 I think.
Getting my head dunked in bath by Mickey French
Showing Steve Lister how to do keepie-uppies sat down
Helping Joe Laidlaw put a rubber suit on.............to sweat it off for pre-season you understand!!!
Lambasting Dean Barrick for getting Greeny pissed in Wakey when he looked about 7
Locky chatting up my bird in Mustang Sally's in Wakey

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 02, 2015, 11:34:55 pm by Muttley »
Lawrie McMenemy lived round the corner from me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 03, 2015, 12:05:47 am by dickos1 »
Lived next door to Jim dobbin for many years,
Drove Sean Thornton home from tranmere away a few years back

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 03, 2015, 12:22:47 am by Filo »
Shook Billy Bremners hand and he gave me a complimentry ticket at an way game at Torquay.

Worked with the left back that was in the youth side that won a tournement in Scotland in the 80's

Drinking in the same round as Duggie in the clay lane club early 90's

Played against Steve Beaglehole in a 5 a side competition, early 80's

Picked Sean Thornton up in the Taxi from Old Club in Stainy, he was hammered and I think Vietaff from this forum may have been with him at the time, dropped him off at Punches in Bessecar

Picked up Harry Forresters bird in Taxi, and took her to keepmoat when Louis Tomlinson played

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 03, 2015, 12:28:22 am by ridgewoodrover »
Used to deliver milk to Ian windy millers digs back in the day, used to work with gorgeous Gavin warboys before he went to be a copper,used to be really friendly with dougie, and my real claim to fame I knew Simon Weston & got a mention in his autobiography as a rovers fan when you could count us in the hundreds.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 03, 2015, 01:14:36 am by Bentley Bullet »
I kicked the last ball at Belle Vue

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 03, 2015, 01:38:55 am by BobG »
I once kipped overnight in the Forest of Dean somewhere in my old banger on a freezing November night after watching us hammer Newport County away. Bloody frozen I was too!

BobG

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 03, 2015, 06:29:12 am by 1879Rovers »
Billy Bremner was a family friend.
As a young lad, I knew almost all the squad in the early 80's and regularly had a game of pool against them in the Doncaster Rovers Social Club. Allan Warboys was my nemesis, I could never beat him.
I once told Dennis Peacock to go work down the pit because he was a poor goalkeeper after one terrible performance against Huddersfield, much too the amusement of his teammates.
I once sat with Bobby Owen and Jack Lewis in the DRSC just before the Christmas games and I asked Bobby if he could score a goal for me. He said he was injured and to ask Jack instead. They both played, both scored but we lost 3-2 to Darlington.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 03, 2015, 06:45:47 am by sheffield exile1 »
Billy Bremner talking to my great gran at the Mona Club Conisbrough in the 80's when we had a "meet the players night"as she made the sanis . "I don'know who that little Scotsman is but he is very polite"
Shouting to Snod to ask if he has any comps at Norwich in th FA Cup jokingly and he came out with some...
Billy bringing our mini bus (entire away following) comps for a night match at Portsmouth
Steve Lister now lives a couple of streets away from me at Birley and has given my nephew a lift to coaching sessions....

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 03, 2015, 07:55:54 am by LincsRover »
When I was 17 my uncle Harry (Barton) was promotions manager at rovers and he helped me get a trial for the youth team (doncaster United I believe, though it's a while ago and the memory fades!).

I was crap and didn't get in, but whilst on a night out at Hamilton lodge with him and some of the promotions team (I remember Charlie Williams was there as well and did a bit of stand up), I got introduced to some of the doncaster Belles. I got asked out on a date by a rather confident young lady called Karen who my uncle told me was one of the best players. I met her and ended up going to 'Romeo & Juliets' but didn't get in as I was too young - She got in and that's the last I saw of her!

I only recognised her a few months later when she debuted for England ladies and was on telly on Calendar - turned out to be future England captain and Belles legend Karen walker! I don't suppose she remembers me!

:rolleyes:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 03, 2015, 08:03:53 am by The Red Baron »
Sat a few seats behind Ian Miller and Peter Bowden on the bus going back to Hatfield after a heavy defeat at Watford. They got off just before Sandall Park. Footballers on public transport, eh?

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 03, 2015, 08:13:33 am by Albert Trousers »
I played half a dozen or so games with Duggie in the South Yorkshire over 35's league about 3 years ago, he was always the best player on the pitch despite taking several sips from his "flask" during the warm ups.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 03, 2015, 08:20:03 am by 1879Rovers »
he was always the best player on the pitch despite taking several sips from his "flask" during the warm ups.

He made a career of it.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 03, 2015, 08:46:00 am by Nudga »
I replaced Leo Fortune West' windscreen, he gave me tea and biscuits.

Tim Ryan gave me a ciggy once.

I called Justin Jackson a Kitson, he threatened to knock my head off, I told him he didn't want to go down that road..............he backed off.

Ian Snodin put a stud through my right shin.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 03, 2015, 09:21:24 am by Dutch Uncle »
I played squash against Alan Murray (late 70s midfielder) once

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 03, 2015, 09:32:28 am by richtherover »
Too many to mention them all but here's a few........
I was at school with Kevin Keegan, (St. Peters in Lord St.)
My sister went out with Tony Coleman who was a regular visitor to our house.
I looked after the Black Bull one lunchtime when Alick and his wife had to go somewhere. (I was a publican at the time)
When I was a kid the house next door to us in Bessacarr was owned by Rovers and lived in at different times by Bill Leivers, John Flowers and Stuart Robertson.
I can remember accompanying Flowers to the chippy in Cantley one Friday night. I stood in the queue while he nipped into the Palfreys!

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 03, 2015, 09:47:48 am by andy didcott »
Went to visit Bill patersons widow up in Inverness a few years ago, ( ex missus is niece). Had a look at all his memorabilia, winners medals etc.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 03, 2015, 10:05:35 am by nightporter »
Steve Uzelac is mates with my Dad, He had dinner with us at Christmas in the 70's playing footy in the garden after. He bought me a Rovers shirt for my 40th and got it signed by the whole team.

When my wife was preggers with my Son 1988, I went with her to anti natal appointments at DRI, sat oppersite me was Ian Soddin, waiting for his wife. He knew I'd clocked him but I played it cool, when we left we looked at each other, nodded and said see ya later.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 03, 2015, 10:16:54 am by RoversDave »
Sat a few seats behind Ian Miller and Peter Bowden on the bus going back to Hatfield after a heavy defeat at Watford. They got off just before Sandall Park. Footballers on public transport, eh?

I remember Alan Murray and Ray Ternant getting on the bus from Thorne to Doncaster, they got on at Ash Hill and I think got off at the top of Town Fields with their kit bags.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 03, 2015, 10:29:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I was one behind Billy Bremner in the queue at Castle Fisheries in Cunny. He had haddock, potato scallop, large battered sausage and large chips.

Must've had arteries like the drains at a pork pie factory. Nice bloke though. I warned him off getting the cod as I'd had one with a worm in it the week before. He said "thanks". I also recommended the Calzone pizzas from Gino's just up the road and suggested that he'd want to put a placcy bag on his car seat before he put the Calzone on there as this scarlet coloured oil tended to seep through the bottom of the box and it was a right bas**rd to get off. He said "thanks" but explained that he had leather seats so it wouldn't be a problem.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 03, 2015, 10:56:05 am by tommy toes »
I was the one behind you in the queue BST. Get your facts straight.
Billy had a plain sausage thar night.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 03, 2015, 11:00:53 am by silent majority »
Went on an England trip with a couple of Rovers mates a few years ago and went to buy a coffee in the upstairs departure lounge at Leeds/Bradford airport. Neil Sullivan stood next to me in the queue. We spent ages trying to work out where he was going.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 03, 2015, 11:01:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He wouldn't have touched a plain sausage with a barge poll.

I say he was a nice man, but there's one thing I've never forgiven him for. He asked for a double helping of batter bits that night and cleaned them out; there were none left for me.

A t**t of the first order.

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 03, 2015, 11:04:36 am by Theresonly1barrowrover »
Many years ago I lived in the same street as Billy Whitehurst, Peartree Ave, Thurnscoe.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 03, 2015, 11:13:52 am by Bentley Bullet »
Billy Bremner came into the bakers shop in Bentley when I was getting some scones for our lass. We were both looking at the various delicacies for sale behind the glass screen under the counter when he said to me "is that a scone, or a meringue"? I said "no you're quite right, it's a scone".

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 03, 2015, 11:20:05 am by Filo »
Went on an England trip with a couple of Rovers mates a few years ago and went to buy a coffee in the upstairs departure lounge at Leeds/Bradford airport. Neil Sullivan stood next to me in the queue. We spent ages trying to work out where he was going.

You could have saved time and just asked him ;)

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 03, 2015, 11:31:15 am by Muttley »
Me and Nicky Meese used to cycle to Belle Vue in the school holidays and sneak in to watch the players training on the pitch and get their autographs (no idea who any of them were though).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012