Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:14:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ched Evans to sign for oldham  (Read 65265 times)

acko

• Forum Member
Re: Ched Evans to sign for oldham
« Reply #150 on January 07, 2015, 12:15:41 pm by acko »
agree with it or not oldham deserve applauding for taking the decision they have,it wasnt a snap decision plenty of negotiations have gone into it including sponsers and f a and players union,they have decided to give evans a chance like any other person released from prison deserve.he not daft enough to think it will be an easy ride but i think everybody that matters thinks he made a mistake and not likely to re offend and in mistake i dont mean the allegation of rape i mean is behaviour on which is girl friend and her family have stood by him.i know people on here and everywhere else will still consider him guilty even if he wins is appeal.just maybe the people at oldham have been told something we havent,but again i enversice the oldham board doing what they think its what they consider right for the club and not what other people think

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on January 07, 2015, 12:19:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
Well, I've found an answer to my own question - Oldham are indeed financially desperate

This is a symptom of the state of the game and its a very sad thing.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on January 07, 2015, 12:20:47 pm by bobjimwilly »
i know people on here and everywhere else will still consider him guilty even if he wins is appeal.
You're wrong, because I won't for one.
If Criminal Cases Review Commission agree to have his conviction re-examined and IF he wins a second appeal, then he is innocent.

just maybe the people at oldham have been told something we havent
maybe the court should have been told this privvy information and he wouldn't have been found guilty?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on January 07, 2015, 12:22:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
agree with it or not oldham deserve applauding for taking the decision they have,

Is an absolute load of rubbish. Oldham are doing it because they have a previously decent standard footballer on the cheap. There is no morals here - do you think they are doing it to 'rehabilitate' him into the community?

Why not give an up and coming non-league striker an equal chance instead? Exactly, they are not.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on January 07, 2015, 12:27:15 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
I ec
He can't be fit.

I echo this. If he does sign, he'll come on as a sub at best.

He might have been on the same 5-a-side as Gary Madine whilst under her Majestys pleasure, can't be fit for a 3rd tier game though.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on January 07, 2015, 12:28:26 pm by Askern_reds »
Think Oldham must have backing from sponsors Surely and from the playing staff ? Think every one at the club must have been involved in these negotiations ? So can't see them loseing money, and as for the fans reaction you might see and hear a few rovers fans applauding

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on January 07, 2015, 12:30:57 pm by Muttley »
Evans' father in law looks to be paying his wages and covering any short fall in sponsorship loss to ensure Oldham sign him.

I can't understand his fiancee's and especially her father's position in all of this.

If her fiancee had cheated on my daughter (in whatever circumstance, and particularly in this scenario) i would be strongly advising her to boot him into touch and I would be having a "quiet word" with him myself to make sure he didn't come anywhere near my little princess ever again, never mind wanting to bankroll his future employment.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on January 07, 2015, 12:33:24 pm by acko »
what i was saying copps was they took their time and involved other people  in this ie sponsers,f.a etc they took a stand that unlike the blades they wasnt going to be bullied into their decision.that muttley i cant explain i would myself act as you suggested

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on January 07, 2015, 12:33:41 pm by GazLaz »
He shouldn't be allowed to play football until he finishes his punishment as far as I'm concerned.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on January 07, 2015, 12:34:46 pm by IDM »
i know people on here and everywhere else will still consider him guilty even if he wins is appeal.
You're wrong, because I won't for one.
If Criminal Cases Review Commission agree to have his conviction re-examined and IF he wins a second appeal, then he is innocent.

Me too, although the verdict is "not guilty".

This means that guilt isn't proven beyond reasonable doubt.  Some are implying Ched Evans may be innocent but how many actual "guilty" criminals get off because of insufficient evidence?

So acko has a partial point, even if Evans' conviction is overturned, he still may have done it, just not proven in the eye of the law.

However, just as much as I accept that at present he is convicted as guilty of rape, if he is subsequently cleared, then I for one will not be shouting for his expulsion from football.  I still may find him a disagreeable character but I would have no objection to his continuation of his football career.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on January 07, 2015, 12:40:22 pm by acko »
to you IDM i dont think a not guilty verdict will be given more a case of unsafe conviction

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on January 07, 2015, 12:41:36 pm by Copps is Magic »
as for the fans reaction you might see and hear a few rovers fans applauding

Even if Evans is innocent one thing he certainly does not deserve is a heroes welcome. Above all else in a symbolic way. I seriously doubt any rovers fans will be clapping for him on the weekend. Maybe you will?

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on January 07, 2015, 12:47:58 pm by Askern_reds »
Excuse me Rochdale away I'm sure it fell on my deaf ears the song there only one ched Evans n no I wasn't singing it , but was listening to fans discussing this issue, and the majority saying we should sighn him and the same at Oldham only at Oldham this was in the pub and again it's freedom of speech and opinions , or does that only count if they agree with you

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on January 07, 2015, 12:52:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
There's no such thing as free speech, only degrees of stupidity. I will admit I am stupid but clapping a convicted rapist onto the pitch is even more stupid than that.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on January 07, 2015, 01:01:34 pm by Copps is Magic »
Just had a quick read of the Oldham forum. Opinion split on Evans himself but most seems to agree that it is bad for the club (regardless of whether he is innocent or guilty). Most don't seem very fond of the current ownership regime there. There is also a poll which suggests 27% of fans will boycott home games - so some credence in the argument they will lose money.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on January 07, 2015, 01:04:13 pm by silent majority »
I intended to travel this Saturday, will not be doing now. My choice.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on January 07, 2015, 01:04:29 pm by Askern_reds »
He is what he is cops, but we all can't be same or we would be robots,we've all got our points of view ? But Oldham av took the stance and that's that, and in my own personal opinion it's got nothing to with fans who have nothing to do with Oldham fc or anyone who's not connected to football at all , we can all talk till we're blue in the face but it won't change anything

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on January 07, 2015, 01:18:49 pm by Askern_reds »
Sorry sm but if your not willing to suport your team because of the actions of another club a club I believe you av no connections to ? I think that's a bit silly, you suport the rovers not evans

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on January 07, 2015, 01:23:31 pm by vaya »
I think he's allowed his personal opinion. We'd all be robots otherwise.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on January 07, 2015, 01:26:45 pm by The Red Baron »
I intended to travel this Saturday, will not be doing now. My choice.

I'm surprised. I'd still go because I'd be going to support Rovers.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on January 07, 2015, 01:29:07 pm by silent majority »
My money would be going into the pockets of the owners of Oldham.

A home game would be a different story of course.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on January 07, 2015, 01:34:36 pm by IDM »
He is what he is cops, 

Yes, at present, he is a convicted rapist.

Oldham won't be getting any of my money either.  OK I was only 20% possibly going to go, but it will be 0% if they sign Evans.

For different reasons I won't watch us at MK Dons either.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on January 07, 2015, 01:35:12 pm by BobG »
I haven't forgotten your thoughts Billy. I'm still thinking about them. In the meantime, and just out of interest.........

What do we all think about what Leslie Grantham should be allowed to do? (He is a convicted murderer for those that don't know)

What do we think Marlon King should be allowed to do? (He has served 3 sentences, had 14 convictions for theft, fraud, wounding, attacking various women and got 18 months for sexual assault on a 20 yo in 2007. Since he was released after that episode, he has played for at least five clubs.

How can these two obvious examples be squared with all these opinions about pushing CE out?

Although I am tending to agree with Billy, this particular case is not justice irrespective of whether he is, or is not, guilty. Society seems to me to be having its cake and eating it. The only possible justification for that is that there is a major lurch to the right taking place. I hesitate to think that could ever be the case given Billy's espousal of the 'hang him high' cause, but I really can't think of any other reason why we could ever think this treatment is logical, or even understandable.

Still, I'm going to get my pen and paper out to do some mind map type stuff. It might help get some clarity.

Bob

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on January 07, 2015, 01:38:10 pm by IDM »
Each situation is different though Bob.  I guess we'd be just as much up in arms over any footballer trying to resurrect their career as an unrepentant convicted rapist.

As for cake, well what is the point of cake if not to eat it?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on January 07, 2015, 01:39:06 pm by BobG »
:):):)

I am partial to a wodge of cake myself too.........

But we can't all suddenly become holier than thou today when it's only a very short time since we let someone else play for 5 different clubs after both sexual crimes AND a fistful of other not very role model type activities. And as for Dirty Den.....

I'm afraid I do still think this is a witch hunt. If this country is going significantly to the right then I would understand this current furore. But would such a move take Billy along with it? Not likely I suspect. So, the only alternative left is mass hysteria and a witch hunt.

And that, touche Billy, seems to be being led by the organs of the press! I do reckon you're wrong about their influence. Yes they reflect. But they lead too. They may only do what society allows, but they don't have to do it do they? Page 3 needn't have been published need it? The Sun led even if society accepted.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:47:27 pm by BobG »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on January 07, 2015, 01:49:32 pm by IDM »
Perhaps it would be more acceptable if Oldham were to sign Ched Evans (as it seems they will) but not to use him in the first team until the legal proceedings are over?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on January 07, 2015, 01:54:47 pm by Copps is Magic »
Perhaps it would be more acceptable if Oldham were to sign Ched Evans (as it seems they will) but not to use him in the first team until the legal proceedings are over?

In the article I read it suggested that his case review will take 32 weeks. I doubt they would be willing to pay him for that length without playing.

I've also just read that one of the club's sponsors, 'Verlin Rainwater Solutions', has pulled out of the club.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #177 on January 07, 2015, 01:56:54 pm by BobG »
On a political and PR level, yes. Of course. The last thing Oldham should do is play the silly sod at the moment. In fact, on those levels, the last thing Oldham should so is sign him. He's going to be poison for years to come. I think they're being led by the nose by an idiot across the Atlantic. He's going to struggle to come out of this smelling of anything other than dogshite.

That though is an entirely separate debate to what we all think about what has happened.

Bob

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on January 07, 2015, 02:18:29 pm by bpoolrover »
Think Oldham must have backing from sponsors Surely and from the playing staff ? Think every one at the club must have been involved in these negotiations ? So can't see them loseing money, and as for the fans reaction you might see and hear a few rovers fans applauding
rovers fans applauding who?

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on January 07, 2015, 02:21:08 pm by Donny Dub »
This topic has become boring.
Evans has done his jail time and he's expecting a retrial at which he may be cleared of rape.  Whatever the outcome he will never again to be able to have a normal relationship with women, there'll always be this in his background.   He made a mistake and he's paying for it now and for ever.  I applaud Oldham for giving him a reprieve though.
Good luck!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012