Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 04:08:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: TIME IS UP FOR MAIN & ROBINSON  (Read 8174 times)

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
TIME IS UP FOR MAIN & ROBINSON
« on January 22, 2015, 07:47:00 pm by Ian Nimmo »
Surely the time is up for these two.

Main missed 6 'easy' chances over the last two games, and as for Robinson what exactly can he do, he just can't seem to do anything.

Surely if we gave young McKay a chance he can't be any worse than these two.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
Re: TIME IS UP FOR MAIN & ROBINSON
« Reply #1 on January 22, 2015, 07:56:22 pm by LincsRover »
I've been one of Main's biggest critics - ask IDM - some shocking performances from both recently but I have to ask - replace them with who? I agree we need a new striker, someone to put the ball in the net. But get rid of both? We're not blessed with the cash of Chelsea or man city so can't pay top dollar! I'd settle for one of the strikers mentioned in the rumour mill to strengthen us up front. But we can't get rid - we need to make the best of what we have and increase competition for places. And maybe, just maybe, that might inspire them to hit the target more often. Impact subs maybe? Robinson in particular runs and runs and can win balls but there's no one to put it in the net. IMHO we need to add a goal scorer, a poacher, rather than getting rid. Just my opinion of course, but we all have one and yours is just as valid. It's up to PD in the end to make the best of what we have.

:rtid:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:00:10 pm by LincsRover »

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 22, 2015, 08:03:44 pm by Ian Nimmo »
I can see your point but PD is a former striker, he brought in a striker coach, but what good has it done?

All I am saying is give the young kid a chance.

What about playing McCombe up front?

Desperate I know but we need a few goals, not least to improve the atmosphere!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 22, 2015, 08:11:40 pm by 1879Rovers »
Now we are out of the Youth Cup I think it is time to give McKay a go. He may be very young but that brings its advantages. He can do no worse than others. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in League One. Thank god we have worked out how to defend.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 22, 2015, 08:19:50 pm by LincsRover »
What about Mandeville - scoring for fun and scored last night as well - maybe it is time to give them a chance but it is a big risk. But sorry, not McCombe! Not that desperate yet, hopefully not at all or we are in the sh*t!

:scarf:

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 22, 2015, 08:34:05 pm by bpoolrover »
Problem is say McKay does not score then he will get slated then,let's try get a decent loan player in 1st

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 22, 2015, 08:39:38 pm by IDM »
Whilst I have defended Main recently, I do agree it is obvious we are short of goals.  However, given that we have just got 12 points from 6 games I don't think the situation is desperate yet.  Not so long ago Main bagged 4 goals in 4 games.  Maybe its a confidence thing?  Against Barnsley he missed the target, against Notts he was on target but his shots were blocked - too easily in some folks' opinions.  I think we should persist with Main a bit longer because I think he is almost there.

Robinson?  Most agree he puts a shift in but he can't do that and score if employed as the sole striker.  I think he can be better alongside or behind A N Other. 

Tyson I think is the best of the 3, but again is better if there are 2 strikers.  Might be worth giving the Tyson Main combo a couple of starts?

As for McKay, if he is good enough, he is old enough.  He can clearly score - at the youth level.  Will he have the situational awareness etc at league 1 level to get himself into the positions where he can put the ball away like he does now?  I don't know, but I would like to see him given a try, perhaps alongside Tyson?

Who else?  I have no idea - are the alternatives any better than we have got now, given how we play?  I would consider the lad McKay at Inverness (no relation I don't think) - scores a lot in the SPL, and as many believe that league is no better than ours (Celtic apart) he may be good for us, but is he available?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 22, 2015, 08:40:33 pm by mushRTID »
Let's get a loan in first. If we're looking like not making the play offs then throw the kids in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 22, 2015, 08:49:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ian Nimmo

You DO realise that we've lost only one of our last 8 games, and that in the League we've  picked up 12 points from the last 6 games and 17 from the last 10, losing just one in this 10 games?

You do realise that don't you, when you say we should drop our strikers and play an unproven kid or a centre half up front?

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 22, 2015, 09:18:57 pm by watto-drfc »
Totally agree with Ian Nimmo

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 22, 2015, 09:33:08 pm by bpoolrover »
The other problem being didn't we sign main on a 3 year contract? Give him more time I think he will come good

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 22, 2015, 09:35:22 pm by StocktonRover »
 :that:

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 22, 2015, 09:36:12 pm by LincolnDonny »
a change of tack reference the coaching...its not working for them so change little things ...I can see it and not a coach......

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 22, 2015, 09:37:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Barnsley should have been dead and buried by half time. Instead we had to rely on a late wonder goal from Forrester to clinch the points. We also lost 2 points against Notts county because of the inadequacies of our front men.

In the last 8 games the strikers have scored just 2 of the team's 7 goals.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 22, 2015, 09:41:53 pm by bobjimwilly »
In the last 8 games the strikers have scored just 2 of the team's 7 goals.

That's a pretty worrying stat by anyone's standards  :s

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 22, 2015, 09:45:13 pm by wilts rover »
In quite a few of those games the formation has included just one out-and-out striker. Its a team game everyone is allowed to score.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 22, 2015, 09:47:49 pm by IDM »
Not so long ago many folks were calling for Dickov's head, yet in a matter of weeks that is much less so as PD has signed the defence that makes us hard to beat.

Perhaps we should afford our strikeforce the same chance to turn things around in respect of goalscoring?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 22, 2015, 09:50:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So
Not so long ago many folks were calling for Dickov's head, yet in a matter of weeks that is much less so as PD has signed the defence that makes us hard to beat.

Perhaps we should afford our strikeforce the same chance to turn things around in respect of goalscoring?

So with your theory there would be no one dropped through poor form, or no new signings, in case the players we already had improved?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 22, 2015, 09:59:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

With YOUR approach, a prolonged spell of promotion form should result in several players being dropped. With Ian N's approach, a period in which we've played several of the top 10 sides, lost only one league game in 10 and got to within one goal of 5th place should be followed by an experiment playing a kid and a centre half up front.

Just seems a bit of an OTT reaction to me.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 22, 2015, 10:04:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST.

The spell of 'promotion form' was very nearly lost against the Dingles and Notts county, because of our weak finishing. The comparatively successful spell the team are enjoying is despite this, not because of it.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 22, 2015, 11:30:26 pm by Askern_reds »
Sounds like you want promotion bb? Why? Just so we can come straight back down? We're where we are because of what we are  a small town club allways av been allways will be why? Because you can't be anything else with a average crowd of 5 to 6 thousand , the board can't possibaly give pd any cash to improve on these crowds, and not one person on here can honestly say this currant crop of players are good enough to be anything else, league position speaks for itself, goal stats same, I thought we were at beginning of season but we av to face up to the facts, but that's whet following the rovers as allways been like? well that's all I can remember, I've been watching since the 19 60s.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 22, 2015, 11:30:53 pm by IDM »
So

So with your theory there would be no one dropped through poor form, or no new signings, in case the players we already had improved?

No. I just think we should give Main a couple more games..

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 23, 2015, 12:49:03 am by albie »
When folk start talking about putting untried youth teamers in, it is worth considering that you might damage their self confidence if it doesn't go well. Young lads need to be introduced when they are ready, and that includes being strong enough mentally. None on here knows whether the time is right for these lads.

The other thing is that boys in the current youth team are behind the previous years intake. The likes of Peterson, Ferguson and Whitehouse should be further along than McKay and Mandeville at present.

Truth is, no-one has seen enough of these players to know if they are ready. Only the manager and coaching staff can be in the know on this.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 23, 2015, 06:55:52 am by RobTheRover »
Barnsley have thrown their kids in.

The old saying "men against boys" springs to mind. The young players coming through are important to the future of the club. Damaging them by introducing them too soon is not part of any viable strategy.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 23, 2015, 07:18:23 am by 1879Rovers »
Ian Nimmo

You DO realise that we've lost only one of our last 8 games, and that in the League we've  picked up 12 points from the last 6 games and 17 from the last 10, losing just one in this 10 games?

You do realise that don't you, when you say we should drop our strikers and play an unproven kid or a centre half up front?

Whilst that is good, we have dropped points against Notts County, Peterboro and Oldham because we don't have a striker who can score goals.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 23, 2015, 07:27:05 am by Al4475 »
The young players coming through are important to the future of the club. Damaging them by introducing them too soon is not part of any viable strategy.

Which is exactly what happened to B.Smith, G.Woods, W.Fairhurst, C.Nelthorpe et al in the relatively recent past.

Luckily however we have also managed to pick one or two gems out at a young age too - Johnstone, McCullogh and Hubby as examples - so they are around - we just need to find em, and make sure that they are good enough when they need to be thrown in longer term!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 23, 2015, 07:37:59 am by The Red Baron »
When folk start talking about putting untried youth teamers in, it is worth considering that you might damage their self confidence if it doesn't go well. Young lads need to be introduced when they are ready, and that includes being strong enough mentally. None on here knows whether the time is right for these lads.

The other thing is that boys in the current youth team are behind the previous years intake. The likes of Peterson, Ferguson and Whitehouse should be further along than McKay and Mandeville at present.

Truth is, no-one has seen enough of these players to know if they are ready. Only the manager and coaching staff can be in the know on this.

Of the first year lads only Peterson is an out and out striker. His few first team outings and his scoring record in the Development Squad don't suggest he is the answer to our problems at the moment.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 23, 2015, 11:30:05 am by podrover73 »
As I have said numerous times it never stopped Billy from giving the lads their debuts at young ages and probably made them grow up quicker.

Glynn and Ian Snodin 17

Paul Raven 18

Mark Rankine 18

Steve Gaughan 18

Rufus Brevett 19

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 23, 2015, 11:36:26 am by RJHeader »
Sounds like you want promotion bb? Why? Just so we can come straight back down? We're where we are because of what we are  a small town club allways av been allways will be why? Because you can't be anything else with a average crowd of 5 to 6 thousand , the board can't possibaly give pd any cash to improve on these crowds, and not one person on here can honestly say this currant crop of players are good enough to be anything else, league position speaks for itself, goal stats same, I thought we were at beginning of season but we av to face up to the facts, but that's whet following the rovers as allways been like? well that's all I can remember, I've been watching since the 19 60s.

Who doesnt? What football fan doesnt want their team to be promoted? Or to see them at the highest possible level?

Rosso Exile Deux

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 23, 2015, 11:37:59 am by Rosso Exile Deux »
As I have said numerous times it never stopped Billy from giving the lads their debuts at young ages and probably made them grow up quicker.

Glynn and Ian Snodin 17

Paul Raven 18

Mark Rankine 18

Steve Gaughan 18

Rufus Brevett 19

And you could add Glenn Humphries, Stevie Lister and Dave Harle to that list

TinyPortal © 2005-2012